• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Just finished! i was really scared that the last boss was going to be
Kuze lol

great game, great yakuza game but as always i feel like i left the game unfinished. that 30% bar feels bad. i may come back later to play some minigames.
is money gained from enemies boosted in Legend mode? starting from zero doesn't sound really good.... also is the best healing item on store the thoughness zz or there is something better?

Stamina Royale I think, boosts both Health and Heat more than Stamina XX does. (I believe it's available in the pharmacy but my memory capacity has it's limits.)

Just finished it, loved it, can't wait for Kiwami.

Speaking of Kiwami: Which JAV Girls made it into that game, if any?

Aenima

is money gained from enemies boosted in Legend mode? starting from zero doesn't sound really good.... also is the best healing item on store the thoughness zz or there is something better?
In legend mode they give you the same amount of money. The enemies just hit harder and are harder to kill.
I always used the Stamina Royale cuz it replenishes heat too. But the ultimate healing drink is unlocked when you reach max friendship with MR. Libido from Sotembori. It will replenish full health and full heat but is only sold in Sotembori pharmacy

Aki-at

Nishitani,the Sotenbori cop, Awano, Sagawa and the omi alliance guy talking with Shimano. in yakuza if you die from bullets you're not manly enough

Hey now there are A LOT of awesome characters in Yakuza who died via bullets and were super manly! D:

I'm taking forever with this game but I just finished chapter 14.
What a shitty way for Tachibana to go, hit in the head by some random asshole yakuza. That scene where Tachibana and Makoto finally meet poetically in the empty lot marks the second time this game made me tear up. I never expected this game to be so damn emotional. RIP you tough son of a bitch.

Retro_Stew

Mr Shakedown assaulted with a fully unlocked brawler drunken style and a few spicy knife heat actions goes down in less than 30 seconds now.
My last kill earned me 26 billions. (All you have to do is lose to him first, then beat him to earn twice the money, rinse and repeat).

Much more efficient than the real estate imo.

Example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QF-l8YEleI&lc=z13xx5fbuxaqefwsy23ktpgz4kysghtp204.1486154563335455

Yes! I found that trick on my own, and stopped at 90 billions. Didn't even use the spicy knife. A full honed rush mode and square square triangle combos

firelogic

I'm taking forever with this game but I just finished chapter 14.
What a shitty way for Tachibana to go, hit in the head by some random asshole yakuza. That scene where Tachibana and Makoto finally meet poetically in the empty lot marks the second time this game made me tear up. I never expected this game to be so damn emotional. RIP you tough son of a bitch.

Yeah that moment and the end of
chapter 6
really got to me. Tachibana totally
goaded him into swinging at his head by smirking at him. I don't know why he did that when he should have been trying to survive to meet his sister. But it was also badass and defiant!

Desmond

Stamina Royale I think, boosts both Health and Heat more than Stamina XX does. (I believe it's available in the pharmacy but my memory capacity has it's limits.)

I know Yui Hatano is in it definitely. Haven't bought it yet as it will be getting a price drop soon.

8bit

Knows the Score
Having trouble finding the last three places in the first real estate section. Any detailed maps for it?

http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/moneyisland.html

Click on the tycoon headers to change the maps.

Just finished! i was really scared that the last boss was going to be
Kuze lol

great game, great yakuza game but as always i feel like i left the game unfinished. that 30% bar feels bad. i may come back later to play some minigames.

Best item is the Incomparable Habu Drink.

Nishitani,the Sotenbori cop, Awano, Sagawa and the omi alliance guy talking with Shimano. in yakuza if you die from bullets you're not manly enough

Don't forget
all the poor folks who got shot by Kiryu in that rail shooter sequence.

According to https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2141123394895280501 (site is SFW, compares the various hostesses from the Yakuza series to their real world counterparts)

Rina Rukawa and Yui Hatano are in as hostesses.

But 0 by far has the most, having even JAV models as random sidequest characters.

Spent hours on the caberet club and I'm spent. I can pull about 60m now but the annoying thing is having the super rich customers that request a specific girl. If I can't get them hooked up that's like 10m down the drain.

What's the best way to manage fever time? Should I wait for the wealthy customers to finish and then give them an extension or should I just pull the trigger on fever time asap?

One thing I want to give credit to the story for is the convincing way it shows you from beginning to end how much power the Yakuza have over everything, including the two protagonists. An objective you were working to for a couple of hours will without warning be snatched away from Kiryu/Majima in a way that actually made me feel hopeless, especially by the end of Chapter 15 (
or whenever Makoto is shot
).

But by doing so it further strengthens the idea that Majima and Kiryu are two legendary forces of nature who are able to break out of that control. The "previously on" for the last chapter in particular drove that home for me and was so dope.

It's hard for me to not go on and read what happens next to these characters at the moment. Just have to wait for Kiwami.

Kiwami has Yui Hatano as hostess.

raw
raw
raw

xclk07

All Mahjong challenges done! Took about 4 says for me to learn and get good enough. Was honestly expecting a lot worse.

Spent hours on the caberet club and I'm spent. I can pull about 60m now but the annoying thing is having the super rich customers that request a specific girl. If I can't get them hooked up that's like 10m down the drain.

What's the best way to manage fever time? Should I wait for the wealthy customers to finish and then give them an extension or should I just pull the trigger on fever time asap?

I personally found going for Fever Time ASAP instead of waiting for an extension is more profitable, especially for customers going for long sessions (more than half). Of course, you should only go Fever Time if the time customers spend is long enough.

I personally found going for Fever Time ASAP instead of waiting for an extension is more profitable, especially for customers going for long sessions (more than half). Of course, you should only go Fever Time if the time customers spend is long enough.

Yeah pull the trigger.

Anyone know where I can purchase the soundtrack for this game legally in the UK?

Also, found a pair of Nunchaku made of Daikon last night.

wtf

I feel like I'm not finding equipment. Do I need to do more of the Dragon/Phoenix agency stuff to unlock more? Hit up merchants more?

Don't forget
all the poor folks who got shot by Kiryu in that rail shooter sequence.

According to https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2141123394895280501 (site is SFW, compares the various hostesses from the Yakuza series to their real world counterparts)

Rina Rukawa and Yui Hatano are in as hostesses.

But 0 by far has the most, having even JAV models as random sidequest characters.

It's definitly the best line-up they've had. What strikes me as odd...if they made a deal with Moodyz for 0, how the hell isn't Tsubomi in the game? She wasn't even among all the women fans could vote for.

What's the deal with the clown dude at the shrine? I got the costume packs but is the pocket circuit pack there just to let you cheat the game?

What's the deal with the clown dude at the shrine? I got the costume packs but is the pocket circuit pack there just to let you cheat the game?
I don't know, the clown's just always been there to handle DLC.

Pretty much I suppose, a lot of people don't enjoy trying to grind for the various parts.

You don't have to take the pack if you don't want to though, so it's still optional.

How did this thread get so big? Should I buy this game?

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!

How did this thread get so big? Should I buy this game?

Do you like a JRPG with a fantastic action brawler combat system?
Do you like a serious, gritty, well-written crime drama that makes even grown men cry?
Do you like fun, light-hearted storylines that make you smile?
Do you like heartwarming storylines that leave a nice feeling inside you?
Do you like Tokyo and Osaka?
Do you like classic Sega games like Outrun or Space Harrier?
Do you like Dress-Up games?
Do you like looking at menus and seeing numbers go up and bars filling up?
Do you like Mahjong?

If your answer to any of this is yes, you owe it to yourself to march to your nearest game store and purchase a copy of this game.

Thanks to whoever posted the "Pledge of Demon" battle theme in the boss battle thread... Got me so hyped up for the game that I couldn't resist and just had to buy it. And that one week before Breath of the Wild... Well, never mind. If the rest of the soundtrack is just half as good as the aforementioned boss theme, the purchase is already justified. Also I think that series needs all the help it can get here in the west.

Thanks to whoever posted the "Pledge of Demon" battle theme in the boss battle thread... Got me so hyped up for the game that I couldn't resist and just had to buy it. And that one week before Breath of the Wild... Well, never mind. If the rest of the soundtrack is just half as good as the aforementioned boss theme, the purchase is already justified. Also I think that series needs all the help it can get here in the west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6lhcMRbMI

Bog

Junior Ace
I thought the switch over from Majima to Mad Dog was even worse than Anakin's turn in Episode 3. Literally nothing prompted it, outside of him thinking how Lee and the other guy were crazy and lived fun lives.

Edit: Fixed the name of a character I hadn't spoken to in 60 hours.

I thought the switch over from Majima to Mad Dog was even worse than Anakin's turn in Episode 3. Literally nothing prompted it, outside of him thinking how Chen and the other guy were crazy and lived fun lives.

I think you're referring to Lee (Chen was from Kiryu's story),
and Lee definitely didnt live a crazy and fun life. Though, ultimately what mattered was that Majima learnt from them to be his own person and not to take orders from anyone else. Less of a Mad Dog, and more of a liberated person . I do agree the Mad Dog thing feels off seeing as even at the end Majima's quite sane.

SephLuis

I thought the switch over from Majima to Mad Dog was even worse than Anakin's turn in Episode 3. Literally nothing prompted it, outside of him thinking how Chen and the other guy were crazy and lived fun lives.

I think you're referring to Lee (Chen was from Kiryu's story),
and Lee definitely didnt live a crazy and fun life. Though, ultimately what mattered was that Majima learnt from them to be his own person and not to take orders from anyone else. Less of a Mad Dog, and more of a liberated person . I do agree the Mad Dog thing feels off seeing as even at the end Majima's quite sane.

*END GAME SPOILERS*

The Mad Dog nickname
comes from him assaulting alone the Dojima HQ with the intent of killing their boss. He was determined to crush the entire Dojima family, the biggest and more powerful in the Tojo Clan at the time, alone just so that they would stop going after Makoto.

If Sera hasn't stopped him, he would have killed the assassin and Doijma and probably everyone else that would try to hunt him afterwards. Sera managed to calm him by throwing the assassin in the same pit he was once before and Dojima became nothing more than a puppet.

Going against the strongest family alone is something insane to do, but after playing with Majima and Kiryu and seeing everything they do, it seems just another regular part in the game. In the vision of everyone else in the game, they know Majima isn't someone you want as a enemy.

That last part was something so that he falls in line with the rest of the series and less of something Mad Dog related.

Got my first Platinum hostess after Yuki, and I gotta say the stepdown in modeling quality is really distracting in those 1 on 1 Trainings. I mean model res of the JAV actresses have mostly not been great anywhere in the game, but they really stand out as being bad when it's a close-up of their face. Especially compared to how great Yuki looks and moves.

So why would they not spend the money for the other Platinum hostesses? Is there a likeness fee they have to pay if the in-game models get too close to actually looking like the real women, and they were trying to avoid that?

Got my first Platinum hostess after Yuki, and I gotta say the stepdown in modeling quality is really distracting in those 1 on 1 Trainings. I mean model res of the JAV actresses have mostly not been great anywhere in the game, but they really stand out as being bad when it's a close-up of their face. Especially compared to how great Yuki looks and moves.

So why would they not spend the money for the other Platinum hostesses? Is there a likeness fee they have to pay if the in-game models get too close to actually looking like the real women, and they were trying to avoid that?

They probably didn't want to give their models any extra attention over all the other JAV actresses that pop up in sidequests, while Yuki isn't based on anyone anyway.

At least Ai is easily recognizable. The actress you get from beating the second club...well, they say who it's supposed to be, but I would have no clue otherwise.

Just saw the intro video and I'm already in love with the game. I'm sure I'm in for a ride :D Also, if it keeps on going like this, this could easily become my favorite OST off all time.

They probably didn't want to give their models any extra attention over all the other JAV actresses that pop up in sidequests, while Yuki isn't based on anyone anyway.

At least Ai is easily recognizable. The actress you get from beating the second club...well, they say who it's supposed to be, but I would have no clue otherwise.

Well to be clear, I don't care whether they look like JAV actresses -- I don't even know who any of those actresses are -- I just want the other platinum hostesses to look and move as convincing as Yuki's model and animations. And I was thinking that since Yuki is not based on a real person, perhaps what happened is they didn't want to make the other ones too close to the real people and have to pay a fee or residuals to the actresses. I don't know if that's how that works or not, just a guess. Otherwise it's pretty odd to only have one high-res model.

Well to be clear, I don't care whether they look like JAV actresses -- I don't even know who any of those actresses are -- I just want the other platinum hostesses to look and move as convincing as Yuki's model and animations. And I was thinking that since Yuki is not based on a real person, perhaps what happened is they didn't want to make the other ones too close to the real people and have to pay a fee or residuals to the actresses. I don't know if that's how that works or not, just a guess. Otherwise it's pretty odd to only have one high-res model.

Uh huh

pbayne

On chapter 8 atm.
Im surprised at how disparate the 2 plot lines are so far. Like i can't really imagine how they manage to come together.

J4g3r

wtf

I feel like I'm not finding equipment. Do I need to do more of the Dragon/Phoenix agency stuff to unlock more? Hit up merchants more?

I've only been doing the most expensive of choices and making sure the chance of them finding each item is at 99.

Usually costs between 20-33m depending on what I pick.

hi please ban me from this thread because I can't stop myself from checking in and replying even though I finished the game a week ago

What do you guys think about
Makoto wanting revenge against the three lieutenants? I feel like it was completely inconsistent with her character, and was also pretty disappointed with how stupid she was trying to negotiate with Dojima and co. on her own. That was thr only thing that ruined an otherwise near-perfect ending for me.

Made sense to me.
She's spent a significant portion of her life abused and powerless, and then the one person who was supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel disappears from her life. Revenge is the obvious choice. Previous conversations show she's already uncertain about the prospect of continuing to live, which is hinted at again when Majima finds her at the precipice overlooking the empty lot. As for her complete inability to see how the yakuza would screw up her master plan: well, duh, she's a civilian, she's never had to do any of this before and she thought she was the key to everything. It all maybe happened a little quickly, but nothing about that whole plotline spoiled the immersion to me.

On chapter 8 atm.
Im surprised at how disparate the 2 plot lines are so far. Like i can't really imagine how they manage to come together.

The best part is that I'm with you even though
I knew all the way back in Chapter 4 what would eventually link the two stories. Sort of.

hi please ban me from this thread because I can't stop myself from checking in and replying even though I finished the game a week ago
Same here, but please DON'T ban me.

I've actually started re-playing Sleeping Dogs because of my time with this game. The game is a lot more GTA-like than I remember it being.

wtf

I've only been doing the most expensive of choices and making sure the chance of them finding each item is at 99.

Usually costs between 20-33m depending on what I pick.

Just keep trying. I think you unlock more places as the story progresses. Some of the materials are easier to get through other means (looking at you Phoenix Feather!). Keep an eye out for places that aren't always available. They tend to have better stuff. Also, for recipes and some rare equipment, there's a place that opens up post-game where a lot of that can be gotten easily.

so i have a baseball bat in my inventory, how do i use this for battles?

Equip it and press down in battle.

Same here, but please DON'T ban me.

I've actually started re-playing Sleeping Dogs because of my time with this game. The game is a lot more GTA-like than I remember it being.

I thought about jumping into Yakuza 5 straight from 0 but decided it might burn me out on the series. Then I played the last few chapters of Final Fantasy XV and now I'm thinking maybe I will fit in some Yakuza 5 before Horizon drops, just to remind myself of what decent storytelling looks like.

Made sense to me.
She's spent a significant portion of her life abused and powerless, and then the one person who was supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel disappears from her life. Revenge is the obvious choice. Previous conversations show she's already uncertain about the prospect of continuing to live, which is hinted at again when Majima finds her at the precipice overlooking the empty lot. As for her complete inability to see how the yakuza would screw up her master plan: well, duh, she's a civilian, she's never had to do any of this before and she thought she was the key to everything. It all maybe happened a little quickly, but nothing about that whole plotline spoiled the immersion to me.

To add to this,
She was sheltered from the mafia/yakuza by her caretaker Lee. I don't even think she knew people were coming after her until Majima straight up told her he was there to kill her. So up until her genius plan she was almost as naive a civilian as they come.

Top Bottom