• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I am only in Chapter 1, maybe an hour in, but the game seems pretty linear right now. Does this open up on subsequent Chapters? And do the side missions become available later?

Keep playing. The game will overwhelm you with content upon the next chapter.

GReeeeN

So how do you beat the last boss?, been playing the game on hard cause the street fights were way too easy, now I'm stuck with 2 stamina drinks and don't even stand a chance, stand up, get combo'd, fall to the floor repeat, and I can't even change the difficulty. Blocking and dodging seem completely useless, am I missing something here ?

So how do you beat the last boss?, been playing the game on hard cause the street fights were way too easy, now I'm stuck with 2 stamina drinks and don't even stand a chance, stand up, get combo'd, fall to the floor repeat, and I can't even change the difficulty. Blocking and dodging seem completely useless, am I missing something here ?

Take your time, use Rush and hit him from the back.

I had no issues with the final boss (on Hard mode) myself. Just use the counter moves, weapons scattered around the area (plus heat moves) and he should go down. I loved the fight, felt pretty darn epic to me. Then again I did take the time to pretty much level all my moves up so I could pretty much counter attack from any move/stance so I could deal out significant damage quickly.

For example the main thug stance on Kiryu should have a counter move where you hold down R1 (to target the boss) and then hit triangle just as the enemy attacks - you get a free combo on him + damage from the counter move itself. Beast style has the excellent counter moves where you hold down L1 and R1 (to lock on and block the enemy) and then you can press circle to grab/bear hug the boss, or triangle to do an excellent (and incredibly damaging) heat move etc.

If Rush is levelled up enough, you should have unlocked the moves where you can gain tons of heat by just dodging out of the way of boss attacks, which will let you pull off the above attacks (as the counter moves need at least 1 bar of heat to perform them I think).

Lastly, if you unlocked the forth style you can use that, as it deals out incredible damage.

So how about that post-credit scene huh?

image.php

GReeeeN

I had no issues with the final boss (on Hard mode) myself. Just use the counter moves, weapons scattered around the area (plus heat moves) and he should go down. I loved the fight, felt pretty darn epic to me. Then again I did take the time to pretty much level all my moves up so I could pretty much counter attack from any move/stance so I could deal out significant damage quickly.

For example the main thug stance on Kiryu should have a counter move where you hold down R1 (to target the boss) and then hit triangle just as the enemy attacks - you get a free combo on him + damage from the counter move itself. Beast style has the excellent counter moves where you hold down L1 and R1 (to lock on and block the enemy) and then you can press circle to grab/bear hug the boss, or triangle to do an excellent (and incredibly damaging) heat move etc.

If Rush is levelled up enough, you should have unlocked the moves where you can gain tons of heat by just dodging out of the way of boss attacks, which will let you pull off the above attacks (as the counter moves need at least 1 bar of heat to perform them I think).

Lastly, if you unlocked the forth style you can use that, as it deals out incredible damage.

havnt even seen any of these moves, thug is yellow yes?, I've unlocked the majority of it but never seen this counter

I've only got 3 potion things, maybe that's why I can't do it, if I try again and load do I need to relay the e!tire mission?

havnt even seen any of these moves, thug is yellow yes?, I've unlocked the majority of it but never seen this counter

I've only got 3 potion things, maybe that's why I can't do it, if I try again and load do I need to relay the e!tire mission?

If you die and try again, then it just restarts the current fight with full health and all the inventory you had when you started.

Loading a save is a separate option.

For Majima, Thug is Blue, Breaker is Pink and Slugger is Yellow

For Kiryu, Brawler is Blue, Rush is Pink and Beast is Yellow.

Yeh I don't think this is possible on hard mode, 3 potions, and these counter moves not unlocked, very frustrating...

Just quickstep behind him and hit him, repeat until dead.

That's actually the secret technique for 99% of Yakuza bosses. It's when you wanna get fancy that you gotta use counter moves and the like.

GReeeeN

Just quickstep behind him and hit him, repeat until dead.

That's actually the secret technique for 99% of Yakuza bosses. It's when you wanna get fancy that you gotta use counter moves and the like.

Quick stepping with purple seems to be the only way, but does close to nothing when you hit him, then if you miss the step, you lose about 30% of ur hp each combo

I finally got to Kiryu's real estate business last night, and I can already tell that I'm going to love this. It's really interesting.

I'm taking my time slow with this game, although I always wind up doing this with Yakuza. Even though I love the stories, half the time I boot the game up I just run around playing mahjong and darts. I wound up spending 100 hours in 5, and even then I mostly just finished because I decided I might as well go ahead and see the ending.

Freddo

I never had a PS2 so I hope they Kiwamify Yakuza 2 as well.
I have a PS2 and the original Yakuza games for it, but the long loading times really kill it for me when I try to replay them these days. And story-wise Yakuza 2 is my favourite in the series, so a remake for the PS4 would be quite lovely.

I have a PS2 and the original Yakuza games for it, but the long loading times really kill it for me when I try to replay them these days. But yeah, story-wise Yakuza 2 is my favourite in the series, so a remake for the PS4 would be quite lovely.

Man, imagine exploring Sotenbori in the Yakuza 6 engine, and seeing that final chapter in full HD.

Please make it happen, Nagoshi.

I have a PS2 and the original Yakuza games for it, but the long loading times really kill it for me when I try to replay them these days. And story-wise Yakuza 2 is my favourite in the series, so a remake for the PS4 would be quite lovely.

Mercifully the PS3 HD ports of 1&2 fixed the load times for random battles (as well as a few other little tweaks and improvements). I can't imagine playing the PS2 originals again, those load times would be a pain compared to how seamless things are in the series these days!

And yes, a remake of 2 really needs to happen. I have my heart set on it using the same engine as Yakuza 6 with various improvements to combat etc. I just love that game engine so much...

Ah, he's probably just calibrating.

Fingers crossed that he is a Garrus fan :p
haha, nice!
Been preoccupied with my exams but I'm all clear now, ready to get back into posting about the charismatic autobiography!

Your faith paid off, I am a Garrus fan :D

That's fantastic! I was getting disheartened seeing how you didn't get your copy, wanted to offer some advice but I don't know much about your region. Glad to hear it all worked out in the end!

Just think of it like this.

Is it part of the main story?

If yes, then do that first. If no, then you can do it in premium adventure mode.
hey you're back!

IrishNinja

finished up last night...man, what a ride.

2017 GOTY and i think it edged out 2 as my series favorite, too.

was really waiting for heel-turn mad dog majjy to rip apart his torturers, but he wanted back in & both of them get what's coming quick enough anyway

great ending, but thinking about it later, i was kinda laughing when i remembered both these 2 had side jobs (hell, majjy had 2) that literally relied on them climbing their respective companies to the top, and after big events that went down in circles no one at any of those jobs would know about, they just kinda stopped showing up for work, heh

So, it turns out I have Yakuza 4 from PS+. Is it better to wait for Kiwami and play that (and Yakuza 3) first, or just play Y4 first while waiting for Kiwami to release. I'm afraid that if I play 4 first, I either won't understand some stuff or it will spoil some things of the previous games.

So, it turns out I have Yakuza 4 from PS+. Is it better to wait for Kiwami and play that (and Yakuza 3) first, or just play Y4 first while waiting for Kiwami to release. I'm afraid that if I play 4 first, I either won't understand some stuff or it will spoil some things of the previous games.

I'd say it's probably better to play 1 and 2 first but I've never even played them. I'd also be tempted to say you should play 4 because Aki is the best.

holygeesus

Banned
I am dreading tomorrow as I have the weekend off work, the house to myself, and I know I will be finishing the story (made chapter 12 tonight). Whatever game comes next is going to have a lot to live up to.

I started Yakuza 0 a few days after its release, my first one of the series.

I really like it and I love Kazuma. But I don't know, I kinda have problems playing on a console. Maybe I'm just too lazy. I hope it comes out on PC someday, that'd be so comfy.

SephLuis

I haven't played Y4 in years but it has recaps videos. If you don't want anything spoiled, then don't watch those (the games ask beforehand)

One of the characters in particular has some connections to something that happens towards Yakuza 1 ending. You won't know any of the details, just that something happened.

I would also recommend you play Y3 after finishing Kiwami and Y2. Y4 is great as another starting point

I'd say it's probably better to play 1 and 2 first but I've never even played them. I'd also be tempted to say you should play 4 because Aki is the best.

I haven't played Y4 in years but it has recaps videos. If you don't want anything spoiled, then don't watch those (the games ask beforehand)

One of the characters in particular has some connections to something that happens towards Yakuza 1 ending. You won't know any of the details, just that something happened.

I would also recommend you play Y3 after finishing Kiwami and Y2. Y4 is great as another starting point

Hmmm, guess I'll just wait for Kiwami then. I won't be able to play 2 though, unless they remake that one too. I'll figure I'll play Kiwami first, and do 4 and 5 before 6 comes out. I might just skip 3 then since I heard it's the weakest entry and they cut some stuff from the western release. Plus it's harder to track down without a digital version.

IrishNinja

I really like it and I love Kazuma. But I don't know, I kinda have problems playing on a console. Maybe I'm just too lazy. I hope it comes out on PC someday, that'd be so comfy.

hasn't happened yet, but here's hoping for one day
meantime: comfy sofa console gaming, the way it's meant to be played™

Hmmm, guess I'll just wait for Kiwami then. I won't be able to play 2 though, unless they remake that one too. I'll figure I'll play Kiwami first, and do 4 and 5 before 6 comes out. I might just skip 3 then since I heard it's the weakest entry and they cut some stuff from the western release. Plus it's harder to track down without a digital version.
That works. Kiwami to 4, 5 and 6 is a workable order. 4 does have one thing that's enhanced if you've played 3,but aside from that it's pretty standalone.

Yakuza 3 has dates at the burger shop though
because filthy gaijin don't understand the honor and shame that goes into cabaret culture.

IrishNinja

Yakuza 3 has dates at the burger shop though
because filthy gaijin don't understand the honor and shame that goes into cabaret culture.

haha running through those again recently i just kinda love that kazzy's so pimp in his prime he's pulling quality like that just going in for fast food

Man that guide you guys like for the side activities must have the worst SEO of all time. It never shows up in my browser history or Google results.

What do you guys think about
Makoto wanting revenge against the three lieutenants? I feel like it was completely inconsistent with her character, and was also pretty disappointed with how stupid she was trying to negotiate with Dojima and co. on her own. That was thr only thing that ruined an otherwise near-perfect ending for me.

IrishNinja

Makoto wanting revenge against the three lieutenants? I feel like it was completely inconsistent with her character, and was also pretty disappointed with how stupid she was trying to negotiate with Dojima and co. on her own. That was thr only thing that ruined an otherwise near-perfect ending for me.

yeah
i was thinking oh maybe she'll magically whip out the ol' "If i'm not back by the end of the day, a proxy sells/gives it to the Omi alliance" but nah, she just freestyled her way up there and acted shocked when she was getting capped

SephLuis

She did
say that she was naive and stupid by trying that.She seemed convinced that all Yakuza only cared about money so trading three lives for piles of cash wouldn't be impossible. Every character that in that scene thought about how stupid she was

yeah
i was thinking oh maybe she'll magically whip out the ol' "If i'm not back by the end of the day, a proxy sells/gives it to the Omi alliance" but nah, she just freestyled her way up there and acted shocked when she was getting capped

I think in some sense it was supposed to be out of a character for her. She was being targeted and people all around her that cared for her were being killed all over a tiny piece of property. She basically just snapped, which I don't find all that surprising given all that she'd been through in her life. And she naively thought she had power because she owned The Empty Lot. They were willing to offer a billion dollars and even kill for it. So she thought if they were willing to do all that, then what's three lives to them?

jwhit28

I bought this game on a whim today thinking I could knock it out before Zelda and Horizon suck up all my time and played it for 7 hours straight. I shrugged off the series back in the day thinking it was just True Crime: Tokyo. I was so very wrong. This strikes the perfect balance of serious and ridiculousness the same way Metal Gear does. Kiryu is already one of my favorite protagonist in videogames. The fighting is the best transition of arcade beat-em up to 3D I've played. 80's Tokyo feels as cool as 80's Miami in Vice City. It even made me enjoy rhythm games. I'm so glad I played this.

SephLuis

I bought this game on a whim today thinking I could knock it out before Zelda and Horizon suck up all my time and played it for 7 hours straight. I shrugged off the series back in the day thinking it was just True Crime: Tokyo. I was so very wrong. This strikes the perfect balance of serious and ridiculousness the same way Metal Gear does. Kiryu is already one of my favorite protagonist in videogames. The fighting is the best transition of arcade beat-em up to 3D I've played. 80's Tokyo feels as cool as 80's Miami in Vice City. It even made me enjoy rhythm games. I'm so glad I played this.

We were hyping everyone about it.

And depending on how you spend those 7 hours, you haven't seen nothing yet.

I'm only on chapter two but this is the best PS exclusive I have played since The last of us. Really digging it and I want to see more from this series.

Chapter 6. That final act.

Holy shit.

I feel like Kiryu has the better story and surrounding cast, but Majima is the better personality of the two. Also not sure if Majima's cabaret thing is gonna catch my love like real estate did.

Chapter 6. That final act.

Holy shit.

I feel like Kiryu has the better story and surrounding cast, but Majima is the better personality of the two. Also not sure if Majima's cabaret thing is gonna catch my love like real estate did.

I personally, and most players tbh,enjoyed Majima's cabaret thing a lot more than Kiryu's because it was more of a mini-game and felt more hands-on and engaging than Kiryu's which was just menu and cutscene based.

Finally finished the game, it was incredible but the end... oh Majima. Can't wait for Kiwami, only other yakuza I played was 4 so I guess I didn't have the best idea of Kiryu or Majima (I really just thought he was a dick cause Taiga was my favorite by a lot) but I can't wait to play through the rest of the series when I get the chance.

Top Bottom