• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Boy, is FFXV that bad?

I thought it was a decent time-waster all things considered, but the storytelling was mindboggingly bad and the quest design became incredibly repititve fast. Basically, FFXV has a big, open world with barely anything to discover, while Yakuza 0 is small but just filled with content.

Baliis

The best part is that I'm with you even though
I knew all the way back in Chapter 4 what would eventually link the two stories. Sort of.

It was pretty easy to guess why they would link up,
but how it actually goes down was the point for me where the game started tipping from from kinda interested to holy shit goty material.

GeeTeeCee

I finished the Real Estate quest line tonight after gdabbing the last Media King properties and the closing combat encounters of the plotline (decimating my health item supplies in the process - those particular fights are no joke), and on the way back to the office to collect my earnings a Dream Machine finally coughed up the one particular Pocket Racer component I was waiting for.

1234566.jpg

holygeesus

Banned
Well finally finished the story and what a ride that was. Easily one of my favourite games in years. I'm drained after the
Godfather-esque runtime of the final cut-scenes
and need a good rest.

Do the mid-credits summing up of what happens to various characters, spoil significantly any of the games that take place after this one? Seems that might be the case.

Boy, is FFXV that bad?

Let me put it to you this way: at least one major event in the plot happens at the end of a chapter without explanation, except for a quick line IN THE LOADING SCREEN AFTERWARDS that doesn't actually explain very much at all. Another major plot point is spoken by one of the main characters, but their audio is mixed so low that you can't even hear what they're saying over all the background noise.

It's not quite as bad as Final Fantasy XIII burying all the exposition in datalogs. On the other hand, you literally have to watch a two-hour movie separate from the game to understand how your empire was attacked after the first chapter.

Yakuza 0, by comparison, is a masterclass in storytelling.

I thought it was a decent time-waster all things considered, but the storytelling was mindboggingly bad and the quest design became incredibly repititve fast. Basically, FFXV has a big, open world with barely anything to discover, while Yakuza 0 is small but just filled with content.

What, the GotY from 2016? Nah.

Let me put it to you this way: at least one major event in the plot happens at the end of a chapter without explanation, except for a quick line IN THE LOADING SCREEN AFTERWARDS that doesn't actually explain very much at all. Another major plot point is spoken by one of the main characters, but their audio is mixed so low that you can't even hear what they're saying over all the background noise.

It's not quite as bad as Final Fantasy XIII burying all the exposition in datalogs. On the other hand, you literally have to watch a two-hour movie separate from the game to understand how your empire was attacked after the first chapter.

Yakuza 0, by comparison, is a masterclass in storytelling.
Hmm. I was really interested in the game because the combat, gorgeous open world and the whole "roadtrip" thing seemed really appealing to me. I'll probably wait until the "complete edition" with everything is released. Thanks for your input anyways

I'm having trouble changing Kiryu's costume. When I finished I had my game clear save that I loaded from the premium adventure main menu option. Yet despite the fact that I got the fun packs from the shrine and there are several options at my desk, there isnt one for changing outfits.

Edit: Apparently I had just redeemed all of Majima's packs.

Hmm. I was really interested in the game because the combat, gorgeous open world and the whole "roadtrip" thing seemed really appealing to me. I'll probably wait until the "complete edition" with everything is released. Thanks for your input anyways

Lol I bet that's a confusing group of responses. As a pure story experience I think it's pretty underwhelming but has a great ending due to attachment to the characters built from the roadtrip aspect that interested you. Plus great music, environments, and gameplay IMO. Yakuza 0 is probably the better game though.

I'm having trouble changing Kiryu's costume. When I finished I had my game clear save that I loaded from the premium adventure main menu option. Yet despite the fact that I got the fun packs from the shrine and there are several options at my desk, there isnt one for changing outfits.

Lol I bet that's a confusing group of responses. As a pure story experience I think it's pretty underwhelming but has a great ending due to attachment to the characters built from the roadtrip aspect that interested you. Plus great music, environments, and gameplay IMO. Yakuza 0 is probably the better game though.
Hmm. That's weird. It was there for me.

If you haven't done too much in the PAM (premium adventure mode) then go back to the main menu, start another PAM with your clear save, then immediately go and make a new save in your cabaret club/real estate office. Use that save from the regular load game screen.

And thanks for the impressions. I'm willing to give a game a pass on a lot of things but gameplay is always king to me so if it plays well then I'll definitely give it a shot. And from all I've seen it certainly does play well.

DJMicLuv

Finished last night. 70 hours, 65%.

For my money this is the best Yakuza including the first two for story. It was sad to see the Mad Dog of Shimano emerge but you can see exactly why he did and the people who influenced his personality. The final shot of the post credits was a perfect link to Y1 and the first full blown Majima showing through. A fantastic game all the way through and now I'm into Premium Mode to finish off a few things, mostly the coliseum.

Milking Mr Shakedown is really easy with the Golden Rifle. I won two in Dream machines and it's a vicious weapon.

I'm still seeing new weapon Heat moves. The crowbar has a couple of really fun ones but they keep surprising me with new heat moves for weapons I never got around to using. Some are pretty brutal. There's a grill in the alley behind the shrine in Kamuro and the heat move has you slamming it on someones face (where it got the power from I don't know). The kettle is always a favourite of mine and I use it whenever I get the chance.

If you haven't messed around with weapons yet you really should. Both the equipable and the environmental are really fun.

I have no idea what's going on in koi-koi but it's pretty exciting.

Heh that's how I felt too. Even the UI feels more exciting. It feels like a fighting game you can button mash and still win sometimes, while Mahjong just brutalizes you if you don't know what you're doing.

Thanks to whoever posted the "Pledge of Demon" battle theme in the boss battle thread... Got me so hyped up for the game that I couldn't resist and just had to buy it. And that one week before Breath of the Wild... Well, never mind. If the rest of the soundtrack is just half as good as the aforementioned boss theme, the purchase is already justified. Also I think that series needs all the help it can get here in the west.

The final boss theme is even better. (no spoilers in the video)

Finally unlocked the Club Moon battle. Me and my waifus have come a long way.

While it isn't as profitable as Real Estate Royale once you take over a big chunk of Kamurocho, I can pull about 90m a night now pretty easily with Moon's clientele. I'll see if I can crack 100m when I get the last platinum hostess.

I always love the fact that in the Yakuza 1 dub, Gary Buster Holmes was voiced by Gary Anthony Williams.

quick question:
The guy walking around in his underwear in Majima's story, when you talk to him he is telling you the locations of the girl cards to pick up?

Actually no, but he does tell you about girls who have videos that you can unlock to view at the video shop.
Same with Kiryu.

xclk07

Perfectionist trophy completed! Man oh man am I glad there is a cheating way to do Shoji. And no way no how would I have been able to do Super Gold Rush batting... glad you can get the CP "easily" enough with the regular Gold Rush course. Now to finish the ultimate battles and then I'm taking a break before the Legendary playthrough. Been playing Y0 nonstop for a full month now and there's a pile of other new games taunting me! Besides, I bet a Leg run right before Kiwami's release will put all the major character relationships and arcs back in my brain for that game.

Alastor3

I just started chapter 7 after spending at least 6 hours doing the real estate. The end of chapter 6 has been really good in term of story. But now im kind of bummed by all the think I need to do just to unlock all the moves for Kiryu and Majima. I feel like I need to just continue the story. As much as I loved doing half the side mission and the pocket race, I just feel there is too much to do or unlock just so the game feel longer.

One of the reason is, I started playing Planescape Torment for the first time last night. And I can't help but think about it, it's just so good.

keiichi

Near the end of Chapter 6. I just beat Leisure King (he joined my team) in a fight after getting to 90% but it looks like I'm stuck at 90% ... is there something I'm missing to get to 100%?

That's the right thing to do luce. Gameplay is good and the main characters are mostly fun to interact with but from the story perspective the game is really unfinished. I still loved it so much that I ended up platinuming it but I can say confidently that waiting for a GOTY edition is the best thing to do right now.
nearing 100 pages - i need to look it up but this might be our biggest yakuza OT yet!
No, you don't need to check that Irish. This is by far the biggest Yakuza thread we've ever had.

Yakuza Community thread - 54 pages
Yakuza 4 OT - 35 pages
Yakuza 5 OT - 68 pages
Yakuza 0 OT - 186 pages!

Floody

Near the end of Chapter 6. I just beat Leisure King (he joined my team) in a fight after getting to 90% but it looks like I'm stuck at 90% ... is there something I'm missing to get to 100%?

Probably a building, check the business menu on the pause screen and there should be a checklist for the buildings you have and don't have.
You also have to level them up.

rje

Finished the main story last night, and having played all the games in the series that have been released in the US I think Yakuza 0 is my favorite. Time to start the countdown to Kiwami...

Fully upgrade the properties. I don't think you need all of them either. I'm missing one building in the first area and I still hit 100%

When does Kiryu start having side stories (same question with Maejima)?
If you're talking about sub-stories, the little encounters that pop up randomly, then that's unlocked on a per-chapter basis. More and more keep getting unlocked and by the final chapter, all are available.

They're not restricted to a chapter or anything so you can do them whenever after they've been unlocked. You can even do them all in the final chapter or after completing the main story!

I am playing it now after Yakuza 0 and I keep thinking of all the things Yakuza did better.

To chime in with a second opinion - I was planning on playing through Yakuza 0 in a week or so and then returning to FFXV (was around chapter 7). A month later, still playing Yakuza, no desire to return to XV.
Man, Yakuza 0 really does set such a standard for story telling, it makes it difficult to play some other story heavy games.

O_Atoll

One of the best stories I ever experienced. I was blowned away. Heard about this game but never played it but GAF kept pushing it so I said why not. Thanks GAF. I'm a fan now.

IrishNinja

No, you don't need to check that Irish. This is by far the biggest Yakuza thread we've ever had.

Yakuza Community thread - 54 pages
Yakuza 4 OT - 35 pages
Yakuza 5 OT - 68 pages
Yakuza 0 OT - 186 pages!

yeah, i suspected as much! now we just have to top the giveaway thread somehow, haha
ya'll are still using 50 posts per page?! cmon now!

Erevador

Lost a ton of money at the gambling den, then won it all back and doubled it playing blackjack.

Everything about this game is a delight.

I got back to Kazama's part of the game in Chapter 9 and am going to get into the real estate stuff that I initially didn't bother with. God, it's so confusing and I had no problem with the Carabet stuff.

I looked up a guide for it but it only went over the basics. Is there any good in-depth guides?

Floody

I got back to Kazama's part of the game in Chapter 9 and am going to get into the real estate stuff that I initially didn't bother with. God, it's so confusing and I had no problem with the Carabet stuff.

I looked up a guide for it but it only went over the basics. Is there any good in-depth guides?

I used this, it's from the Japanese version, so it might have a few names that aren't the same, but the pictures should be more than enough and I never ran into any translation issues.
http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/moneyisland.html

Zebetite

Banned

its not that complicated, really.

kamurocho is broken up into 5 districts. you own properties in each district. you "collect" on these properties through a menu, which starts a timer to pay-out. you collect your money when the timer expires.

how much money you get depends on cumulative value of all your businesses in the chosen district-- this is the quantity (how many businesses you own) and quality (what their letter grade is). you buy properties by running up to them in the world and hitting x. you upgrade them by assigning an advisor to them, choosing the best based on what the advisor's stats are (x, triangle, circle, double circle in a variety of business types, pick the relevant one) and then spending some money. you can only upgrade once per collection cycle.

money earned also depends, to a lesser degree, on who you've assigned to manage that district. managers have star ratings/pay scales that basically indicate how good they are, but if you want to drill deeper, they've got some random spread of numbers that are like 0 1 1 2 -2 or something. these numbers are just little modifiers for how much money you get. 0 would be their first collection run in that district, then they cycle through the 1s, the 2, and max out at -2. so, their 4th collection will be the best, and the 5th (and all subsequent) will be their worst. you get around this by cycling out managers.

the last thing to note is that you also assign security staff. i don't think they actually do that much to be honest, i've never noticed. theoretically, bad dudes will try to harass your collections runs and you gotta go punch em to stop it, but it rarely happens to me to be honest, maybe because my security staff is good? but just cycle them out whenever you cycle managers and it's fine, whatever, they don't seem important really.

that's kind of it. collect money, spend it buying or upgrading businesses, collect more money, repeat. you get new and better managers, security and advisers through substories.

Top Bottom