• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

hamsjams

Does anyone know off the top of their head where the guy is that lets you "invest" in the other character is on Kiryu's side?

I think he might be first triggered in the course of story events in the narrow area near the Empty Lot. Not sure about that, though. He was in that area at least. After that, he goes to the bar Vincent.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just did the "How to Train Your Dominatrix" sidequest.

Game. of. the. Fucking. Year.

Edgeward

Both
Amon's
are done.
Jo
was much tougher since his grabs are really annoying to deal with. But his second form is a cinch as long as you get backed behind a wall

The story is moving so fast now. I feel like i can't even stop for side quests anymore. On the finale and these last few chapters mane
especially 14

Gonna cool off and hopefully finish the game tonight

OutRun is infuriating. Way too many of my attempts are ruined by the road being totally blockaded with traffic. I'm talking 3 cars side by side on a narrow path with a truck just in front and obstacles to either flank. Either I crash in a desperate attempt to break through, or I slow down to a crawl to avoid rear-ending them and run out of time before the next checkpoint. What do you want from me game!?

Are you trying for score or to beat the whole thing?

Yakuza 0 OT > Resident Evil 7 OT in terms of posts!

When i saw how much traction the Digimon story cyber sleuth OT had, I thought it would translate to the overall popularity of the game here but turns out, GAF isn't always the best representation of that

But yeah, it is cool to see yakuza getting love here

Jimrpg

When i saw how much traction the Digimon story cyber sleuth OT had, I thought it would translate to the overall popularity of the game here but turns out, GAF isn't always the best representation of that

But yeah, it is cool to see yakuza getting love here

haha yeah i've been told numerous times not to go by GAF numbers, because it probably means the opposite, but still its kind of weird to see Resident Evil 7 sell in the millions and Yakuza fans beat that OT with active posting.

IrishNinja

PXr8Q56.gif

easily the most baller gif i've yet seen, kazzy's that dude

hamsjams

Are you trying for score or to beat the whole thing?

Either one really, but score mostly. I got the CP for cracking 5mil, and really enjoyed doing it. For fun, I've been trying to reach 5mil again and take different routes, but have been encountering those blockade situations frustratingly frequently. I'm beginning to believe that my 5mil was luck.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, including for Super Hang-On!

holygeesus

Banned
Yep yep. Can't stress this enough, there's a solid 2 hours where you will not be able to save.

I played the finale' during the storms recently, and was just praying the power didn't go out. Added to the tension.

I forgot the one, ONE thing that annoyed me about this game. (finale' spoiler)
what was up with adding the guys with guns on the long corridor sequence on the boat? You literally couldn't dodge the bullets and had no way of getting to them before they pepper you. It's like the game is reminding you, right at the end, that you also have firearms that you haven't used yet.

At what chafter do you think this starts?

In the final chapter. Believe me, you'll know when that is. The game tells you multiple times that this is the end of the story, that you should save and that the game will end after this so finish whatever activities you want to do.

It's not that bad since if you die in a fight, you can always retry that fight with all the inventory you had at the start of it.

8bit

Knows the Score
I am terrible at the karaoke, but the drunken shouting accompanying while someone else sings is hilarious.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wait, we're getting both the remake and Six in the west? What a glorious time it is!

I am terrible at the karaoke, but the drunken shouting accompanying while someone else sings is hilarious.

Oh man, the interjections are the best part. Especially when you play along as Kiryu and he's putting his entire soul into it!

This game is actually hilarious. It's like a send up and celebration of all the things it contains.

I'm only at C3 and I can honestly say so far this is one of the bast games I've played in years. My first Yakuza game and I'm sad it took so long.

The stakes and tension are so high in the end of the game, I regretted putting off half of Majima's Cabaret Club Czar sidequest till the very last moment.

JJShadow

I've just realize this game is perfect for remote play on the PS Vita (R2/L2 and R3/L3 are practically useless), so I know what I'll be playing during my launch breaks at work

The stakes and tension are so high in the end of the game, I regretted putting off half of Majima's Cabaret Club Czar sidequest till the very last moment.

Yeah, the tension is fucking real in the final chapters, I'd like to continue doing sidequests but fuck it, cannot wait to see how this story ends

Btw, could I have the Yakuza supporter tag added to my avatar? Thanks!

Finally finished it and my initial reaction is that they nailed telling Majima's origin story from being someone who was holding himself back and took a lot of shit for it to embracing the insane personality he's known for. They also managed to add a lot more to his character which is very commendable.

Regarding Kiryu though,
it was cool that he actually took the title of 'the Dragon of Dojima' from somebody else
but compared to what Majima went through, he is still the naive young yakuza he started as. I haven't played Yakuza 1 or 2 though so I guess that's where he grows up. It was just odd that by the end
he joins back with the yakuza and he doesn't even know why himself.
Just a disadvantage of making a prequel I guess.

Overall, this is my second favourite Yakuza. There are a lot of reasons why I prefer Y4 but Y0 has it beat in its story. One of the few games that made me tear up and it did it twice!

Finally finished it and my initial reaction is that they nailed telling Majima's origin story from being someone who was holding himself back and took a lot of shit for it to embracing the insane personality he's known for. They also managed to add a lot more to his character which is very commendable.

Regarding Kiryu though,
it was cool that he actually took the title of 'the Dragon of Dojima' from somebody else
but compared to what Majima went through, he is still the naive young yakuza he started as. I haven't played Yakuza 1 or 2 though so I guess that's where he grows up. It was just odd that by the end
he joins back with the yakuza and he doesn't even know why himself.
Just a disadvantage of making a prequel I guess.

Overall, this is my second favourite Yakuza. There are a lot of reasons why I prefer Y4 but Y0 has it beat in its story. One of the few games that made me tear up and it did it twice!
I agree that Kiryu doesn't do much in terms of
growth and of course they're limited in what they can do since they also have to keep things in line with the first.

But Yakuza 1 is where Kiryu gets some real growth, and goes down a path that's entirely different to Kazama's. That's one thing that was a recurring thing in this one, that he was trying his best to emulate/live up to Kazama's legacy.

Dez_

Recently finished the game. This is definitely my favorite Yakuza game in the series by far. The quality of life improvements to the combat are great, the story ended up being pretty interesting, and it was great to finally get a chance to play the game as Majima (never played the zombie game). I ended up going through the game on the hard difficulty, and I felt it was the right choice to make. I really ended up enjoying some of those later fights in the game. The final chapters were fantastic! I really love how stylish these games make their boss intros, too. You really get hyped up for the encounter.

Finished the game at around 85 hours with 63% completion, the most I've ever been able to complete in these games. I'm going back to finish up the Caberet club side stories and might wait a bit for Kiwami, but I will definitely be there for the next Yakuza games.

Aki-at

Do the chapters get shorter? I'm on chapter 6 with 20 hours in and I can't imagine 15+ chapters more.

Chapters vary in length and the stuff that'll really extend your playtime is the side activities.

Took me 80 hours to complete the game :p

haha yeah i've been told numerous times not to go by GAF numbers, because it probably means the opposite, but still its kind of weird to see Resident Evil 7 sell in the millions and Yakuza fans beat that OT with active posting.
lol it doesn't always mean the opposite, the pokemon go OT was huge as well and so are cod threads. while we're on the subject though i would like to know how well yakuza 0 sold over here.
Wait, we're getting both the remake and Six in the west? What a glorious time it is!
yep i was pleasantly surprised to learn about that too!

Jachaos

Do the chapters get shorter? I'm on chapter 6 with 20 hours in and I can't imagine 15+ chapters more.

I feel like from 10 and on everything moved so fast. There are
chapters but I did all those last ones in a day. Can't remember if it was because I played an extended session or if they just are shorter.

Reedirect

Just finished it at 45 hours and it was an absolutely sublime experience. The main story takes a while to get going, but when it hits, it hits pretty damn hard. Last couple of chapters were amazing, as was the epilogue.

As soon as the credits started rolling, I wanted to jump straight into Kiwami.

Top Bottom