• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

bebop242

Did the update help fix the button mashing element for Cat Fighting? Never was able to do it before but tried it again after the patch and I was able to win draws via button mashing.

Slowly, slowly getting through the game and still absolutely loving it. So far I've been able to second-guess elements of the story (not a bad thing) but now I've recently completed Chapter 10 and it's the first time in a while that I've felt really shocked by the twists and turns. As the camera pans away
to show Tachibana with the bat tattoo,
I was off my feet like OHHHH SHHHIIIITTTT. Also, whilst there's been plenty of highlights,
Tachibana essentially buying out Kiryu from the Tojo family hierarchy and playing on the organisation's internal discord was really smart and the fight outta there
has been a gameplay high point for me (in terms of the main story, anyway). Can't wait to see what happens next.

Finally finished this, my first yakuza game a few days ago. Did just under 50% of the game in 61 hours, although most of that was before the last few chapters as I concentrated solely on the story missions at the end.

Fantastic experience all around, manages both compelling drama and engaging silliness which is quite a difficult thing to do.

Don't hate me for asking this but can I skip sidequests without being too weak to complete the game?

Sidequests rarely give out monetary rewards, so sure. You should follow the big Real Estate and Cabaret Club sidequests to some extend though, because that's how you make real money und unlock lots of moves. Still, I didn't completly finished those when I beat the game myself.

That JCC has got to be one of the worst minigames I've ever played. Why did they go to all the effort? The fighter means nothing, the form means nothing, the hand symbols mean nothing, the button mashing means nothing, the odds mean nothing. Complete RNG and utterly pointless.

They may as well put in a horse racing machine, and made you pick a colour.

That JCC has got to be one of the worst minigames I've ever played. Why did they go to all the effort? The fighter means nothing, the form means nothing, the hand symbols mean nothing, the button mashing means nothing, the odds mean nothing. Complete RNG and utterly pointless.

It's pretty bad but if you read the girls' summaries before choosing and keep choosing a hand that counters what your opponent is best at you have a much higher chance of winning all three matches.

The hand symbols are frequency they use them so use that to best guess what the AI will do to you. Pick Jennifer, not because she is the best but because she is a pain to fight against.

Still a lot of luck and the button mashing I'm sure is largely predetermined but that will increase your odds in it.

And yes it's just awful. I did it for the CP and never went back.

Yep that's exactly why I am doing it. I got to the final there with Francesca. Odds on favourite and great history. In the final I got obliterated by Yukio with 2 red power moves and then 2 special moves, all in a row. I didn't get an attack. It's a joke of a game.

colonyoo

Don't hate me for asking this but can I skip sidequests without being too weak to complete the game?
Substories aren't really necessary for character strengthening in 0, the monetary rewards are small and the best shrine unlocks don't take too many points anyway. I'd only say they shouldn't be skipped because they're hiding some of the game's best writing within them.

If you're worried about being underpowered you can always stock up on healing items at the drug store and learn to exploit the Mr. Shakedown fights (as Kiryu anyway, Majima is less lucky) if you feel like you're really in need of some cash to dump into your upgrades.

Finished the story with 28% completion, haha. I felt like I was slacking off on the story pretty hard for awhile midway through.

How do I reliably find substories for each character? I only did about half of them, and I'm not really bumping into any anymore. I know some flow out of friendships/minigames etc... but I'm not really going for 100% completion so much as just playing the content I like
Mahjong!
Are there any in the "other" city for each character, or are they all in their home base?

Not 100% sure but I believe all the substories are in each character's home cities, you don't have to go to the other city to get any. You can check the KHHsubs guide to make sure but when I looked through it I didn't see anything obvious.

In-game, each character has access to a Trouble Finder eventually (I think through substories, hah). You may already own these items. Equipping it will put exclamation marks on the map showing you where substories start. Note that it's not 100% foolproof--for example, it didn't tell me that there was one last substory at the pocket circuit stadium because I had to actually go in one last time to trigger the cutscene that lets me access the story--but it should get you most of the way there.

Sadly I am. Honestly I would keep trying it but I'm getting tired of going through all the dialogue and the fight every time. Happy to know I never have to play Outrun again.

I reloaded an older save and practiced for a while. You get more time (about 10s maybe) in the real estate version than in the normal game. I couldn't be bothered with the Media King though.

You don't have to break or change gears. Just get off the accelerator in the turns and avoid crashes. Right-Left-Right was the easiest route choice for me.

Rymuth

I loved Nishitani. I loved everything about him. His accent, his voice work, his fighting.

Goddamn, they really knocked it out it outta the park with this entry.

Are any substories dependent on the time of day? I'm closing in on the last dozen left for Majima but I only know what three of them are (the three hostesses I haven't completed yet), not seeing any obvious ones.

I'm playing Premium Adventure Mode strictly in the daytime.

muteki

Could anyone answer a few quick Cabaret questions?

- For special training, am I missing out on anything permanently by not getting perfect lessons every time? If It is just EXP missing I can earn it back later right?

- Is it possible to get a double-circle in response to processing a check? I get single circles all the time, haven't figured out the trick for doubles if there is one.

- How should I be handling "trouble" when the hostess and customer are fighting? I'm not sure I have had a positive response here at all.

- For special training, am I missing out on anything permanently by not getting perfect lessons every time? If It is just EXP missing I can earn it back later right?

- Is it possible to get a double-circle in response to processing a check? I get single circles all the time, haven't figured out the trick for doubles if there is one.

- How should I be handling "trouble" when the hostess and customer are fighting? I'm not sure I have had a positive response here at all.

1) I'm pretty sure it's just an EXP bonus so don't worry too much about it.

2) Not sure

3) I usually just give them a gift. I think the game has a small pool of available customers and their happiness is based on a base happiness and previous visits. So, to me it's better to offer them something in the hopes that they will come back happier than for them tom continue to throw a fit every time Yuki isn't available.

Are any substories dependent on the time of day? I'm closing in on the last dozen left for Majima but I only know what three of them are (the three hostesses I haven't completed yet), not seeing any obvious ones.

I'm playing Premium Adventure Mode strictly in the daytime.
I don't think so. I think time of day only affects what fish you can catch.

1. Nope

2. If a session is extended you have the option of giving them an expensive gift (and getting a larger number of followers from word-of-mouth bonus)

3. Gifts. Eventually your hostesses will be a high enough level to where this doesn't really happen, but in early going you should expect some customers to leave.

muteki

Great thanks. I don't think I have successfully extended any sessions. And I'll stick to gifts when the fights break out.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Great thanks. I don't think I have successfully extended any sessions. And I'll stick to gifts when the fights break out.

I extended a session once on my first night of cabaret managing. The customer had the "wants a long session" attribute, so that's probably why it worked, and he loved it. All the other customers had the "wants a short session" attribute, so when they wanted to leave, I simply thanked them and their mood got better.

A extended a session once on my first night of cabaret managing. The customer had the "wants a long session" attribute, so that's probably why it worked, and he loved it. All the other customers had the "wants a short session" attribute, so when they wanted to leave, I simply thanked them and their mood got better.

Once their mood gets high enough, they will almost always extend whether they want a short or long session.

I don't think so. I think time of day only affects what fish you can catch.

I had a conversation with someone about this earlier in the thread, and checked a Japanese wiki to double check but time of day does not affect fishing in this game. It does in several earlier Yakuza titles, but not 0.

I was able to catch all fish in the daytime.

I had a conversation with someone about this earlier in the thread, and checked a Japanese wiki to double check but time of day does not affect fishing in this game. It does in several earlier Yakuza titles, but not 0.
Aah ok, that's good to know. I was just under the assumption that it did because, as you mentioned, it did in earlier titles.

Did some of you actually learn shogi, Japanese mahjong, and the other minigames to complete those tasks? If it only weren't for those minigame related completion list items, I could actually 100% it ._.
Mahjong wasn't so bad, very similar to Rummikub I play with my partners grandparents so got it fairly quick though some of the CP points were still tough.

Shogun I cheesed and I already knew Koi Koi, I learned that after seeing the anime Summer Wars lol.

Mahjong wasn't so bad, very similar to Rummikub I play with my partners grandparents so got it fairly quick though some of the CP points were still tough.

Shogun I cheesed and I already knew Koi Koi, I learned that after seeing the anime Summer Wars lol.

Same here. Well in my case its taken me a few Yakuza games playing Mah Jong on and off but I think after Ishin I can say I know how to play the game somewhat competently, at least to the level of clearing all the CP points in 0/Kiwami/Ishin/6 etc.

Only one I've still not got down is Shogi, when I replay 0 soon I'll give it another go.

Finished the main story last night with 99 hours in. I had no idea what to expect playing this game and it is definitely one of my favorites. I loved all the mini games and side quests you got walking around the city and I cannot wait for the remastered version of yakuza 1 coming out.

SkylineRKR

Man, back to Majima after wrapping up Real Estate. He's just completely great. I like his mobility and while I hated breaker at first, it probably has the best heat actions. Really tears through groups. Those chapters 11-12 were brilliant.

Sorry, I have a crush on Ai.

Ai or Saki are my favs. But in terms of performance Yuki seems to have been rigged to be the best one.

Uhhhhh so I think I just hit a bug where I lost all progress on something. Gonna spoiler tag it because I'm not sure if it qualifies as spoiler. I just updated to Version 1.05. I wonder if that caused it?

It looks like I just lost all progress on Kiryu's Dragon of Dojima style.... anyone else have this problem?? I had almost maxed it out. It still shows all the money I spent but now all the nodes are empty

1umfnYq.jpg

This isn't supposed to happen, right?

EDIT: OK, it is supposed to happen. Didn't realize there are multiple levels of this up to 20... figured it out from this GameFAQs post. Which is going to take more cash than I will probably raise in this playthrough

I finally managed to grab that last doll and finished the doll girl's story. Really nice little story; it actually made it worth doing the damn UFO Catcher.

Same here. Well in my case its taken me a few Yakuza games playing Mah Jong on and off but I think after Ishin I can say I know how to play the game somewhat competently, at least to the level of clearing all the CP points in 0/Kiwami/Ishin/6 etc.

Only one I've still not got down is Shogi, when I replay 0 soon I'll give it another go.

After all of these games I've gotten mahjong down decently. Scoring is really the biggest thing that's gotten in my way, but I've got a lot of the big hands down by this point. And mahjong is usually one of my most played minigames in the series.

Every game I make another attempt at shogi, but I always wind up falling well short. This time I at least made it like 2/3rds of the way into the lowest difficulty opponent before I completely self-destructed, so maybe next time?

Saprol

Nioh's done! Back to chapter 3 or something.

I recall the legend trophy has to be a NG with no carry over. What are people doing regarding sidequests / premium adventure for two separate saves? I don't want to farm money for skills twice.

So everyone is in agreement that Yuki is best girl right?
Absolutely. She is one of the best side characters in the entire game.

Nioh's done! Back to chapter 3 or something.

I recall the legend trophy has to be a NG with no carry over. What are people doing regarding sidequests / premium adventure for two separate saves? I don't want to farm money for skills twice.
I always finish up sub-stories in premium adventure mode. It's just easier that way since you have access to everything and don't have to worry about the main story either,

So everyone is in agreement that Yuki is best girl right?

She's definitely the best for 2 reasons.

Her dynamic between the club owner and Majima.

And because she's actually modeled after and voiced by a real hostess I believe, as compared to the others who are all JAV models.

Giever

I think this gets used again with another character but I can't remember which. He runs around in circles slapping himself in the head with both hands.

The animation gets used with the
Chinese forger for the Heart Necklace substory with Majima, when you find out his phone card scheme.

Top Bottom