• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

xezuru

You're not wrong. I guess it's mainly there to catch newcomers up more than anything, it's only really the events of Yakuza 5 that matter.

It's been discussed previously in this thread and I agree that in regards to story, the lows of that game are real low but the highs are REALLY freaking high.

Yeah, I like characters like Mine and for people who played Yakuza it's actually nice to see Kiryu interact with the children and learning instead of them just being background models. Music has the highest highs, my only complaint is
gunshootman
is the worst focused character only being surpassed by the sheer stupidity in Y5's
final boss reveal
and the censoring was a pre preemptive hit on people's perception.

Megasoum

Banned
End Game Spoiler

So....
Makoto was just rushed to the hospital after getting shot on the rooftop....

Roughly how long do I have left in the game? I'd love to finish it before Horizon and I have some stuff to do tonight lol.

End Game Spoiler

So....

Roughly how long do I have left in the game? I'd love to finish it before Horizon and I have some stuff to do tonight lol.

2 and a half hours roughly.

I finished off all the real estate content today, which was a pretty big drag toward the end. I had run out of meaningful side content to do between waiting for payments to come in, and in the end just resorted to watching youtube and occasionally checking back in to collect money.

Planning to try and do Majima's cabaret sidequest through to completion tomorrow, which is a lot more involved and fun based on what I've played of it.

End Game Spoiler

So....

Still have like
2-3 hours left at least.
Be sure to get as many healing items and equipment on both protagonists before doing the final mission

The final mission,which you'll KNOW when it's coming as the game tells you multiple times to handle your shit, will be a non-stop parade of action, fights,
bromance, resolution and roller coaster moments.

Also there's a post-credits scene so make sure to stick around for that.

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit
(what I assume) is the last Kuze
fight....

First time since I started the game that I ever die during a fight.... And I mean, like, not even close to killing him.

Edit: Ok finally got him on the second try... His stunlock is really fucking annoying.

Edit 2: I fucking hate guns

Giever

Just got like a 300+ MB update, so I checked Bob but he didn't seem to have anything new. Anyone know what, if anything, was changed or added?

Kimaka

Finished and I have mixed feelings on the ending.

I know they are attempting to get the characters to where I assume they are in the first Yakuza, but it doesn't work very well. Kiryu going back to the yakuza and specifically the Dojima Family is puzzling. Majima's change into becoming disillusioned and deciding to say 'fuck it' and just do whatever makes sense, but the ending scene and outfit is too far of a jump ahead. It is too wacky.

Also, I wish there was just one more scene with Majima and Makoto at the end. I didn't expect that they would get a happily ever after, but a hospital scene with them talking or something :((( Poor Tachibana too. Ugh, so much sad shit happened.

This game was still an amazing experience. Fuck, why couldn't I play this series sooner.

Edit 2: I fucking hate guns

Especially when they throw multiple gun guys on you. Trying to deal with one and end up getting shot if get stuck in a punching animation and can't dodge in time.

SephLuis

Finished and I have mixed feelings on the ending.

I know they are attempting to get the characters to where I assume they are in the first Yakuza, but it doesn't work very well. Kiryu going back to the yakuza and specifically the Dojima Family is puzzling. Majima's change into becoming disillusioned and deciding to say 'fuck it' and just do whatever makes sense, but the ending scene and outfit is too far of a jump ahead. It is too wacky.

Also, I wish there was just one more scene with Majima and Makoto at the end. I didn't expect that they would get a happily ever after, but a hospital scene with them talking or something :((( Poor Tachibana too. Ugh, so much sad shit happened.

Regarding the characters,
the last scenes of each character is done that way so it doesn't contradict Yakuza 1/Kiwami. I agree that, after everything it happened, it's weird, but it works out.

That last Majima is how we know him throughout the series and he's more similar to what you have seen in Nishitani. A very strong character, but also a loose cannon. I imagine they wanted to do more with Nishitani, but didn't had the time or budget to do it. In Yakuza 1 and even in Kiwami, Majima wasn't one of the bigger players regarding the main conflict, but he steals the show especially on 2 and 4.

This game was still an amazing experience. Fuck, why couldn't I play this series sooner.

Maybe you didn't played before because it was on the PS2 or PS3. Or because it was a late localization. Or other non important reasons.

It certainly wasn't for the lack of recommendations because Yakuza GAF never shuts up =D

It certainly wasn't for the lack of recommendations because Yakuza GAF never shuts up =D
I was *this* close to making another thread about how Yakuza makes it so difficult to play a lot of GTA-esque open world games because it just feels so pointless to have a big city where you have so little freedom to do anything.

God dammit I hate Outrun. Can't beat Electronics dude because I don't know how to play this game apparently.

And then I have to reload and fight those dumb enemies waiting outside the arcade every time.

I'm so broke buying and upgrading all these properties. I was about to finish the game but then I thought I'd do some of real estate royale (hadn't touched), make some money and unlock a few more nodes. I'm on the gambling king now and I've got less money than what I started with smh

Nishiki
has been standing in the same spot for 10 hours now lol

God dammit I hate Outrun. Can't beat Electronics dude because I don't know how to play this game apparently.

Takes a bit longer to complete his area but fuck it. Outrun can go to hell

Kimaka

Maybe you didn't played before because it was on the PS2 or PS3. Or because it was a late localization. Or other non important reasons.

I'm surprised that I never heard about this series until the PS3 era especially with Mark Hamill in the first one. I've had Yakuza 3 for years after getting it cheap in hopes that I would eventually play it since I didn't have a PS3. Definitely going to rectify that now.

And then I have to reload and fight those dumb enemies waiting outside the arcade every time.

I just took the loss. That ten percent doesn't take long to make up.

I'm so broke buying and upgrading all these properties. I was about to finish the game but then I thought I'd do some of real estate royale (hadn't touched), make some money and unlock a few more nodes. I'm on the gambling king now and I've got less money than what I started with smh

Nishiki
has been standing in the same spot for 10 hours now lol

Takes a bit longer to complete his area but fuck it. Outrun can go to hell

Oh I don't actually have to beat him? I can just take the hit?

You guys who suck at Outrun, are you breaking and changing gears? It shouldn't be that difficult to beat either the girl in the arcade or the electronics king. Even if you lose, don't worry about it that much, you'll still be able to take over his area.

I was *this* close to making another thread about how Yakuza makes it so difficult to play a lot of GTA-esque open world games because it just feels so pointless to have a big city where you have so little freedom to do anything.
You should probably make that once the heavy hitters of March have been released and the hype for Yakuza 0 has died down a little bit.

Constant exposure is the key to making Yakuza more successful :p
Oh I don't actually have to beat him? I can just take the hit?
Yep. You can take those shares back by investing in your businesses in his area.

You guys who suck at Outrun, are you breaking and changing gears? It shouldn't be that difficult to beat either the girl in the arcade or the electronics king. Even if you lose, don't worry about it that much, you'll still be able to take over his area.

Sadly I am. Honestly I would keep trying it but I'm getting tired of going through all the dialogue and the fight every time. Happy to know I never have to play Outrun again.

Kimaka

I was. I just suck at it. I managed to beat the arcade girl, but just barely. :p

jamsy

Hey GAF, I just got my office as Kiryu. How far am I into this game?

I've been doing quite a few sidequests, so I'm not sure how much progress in the main story I'm actually making...

Floody

Hey GAF, I just got my office as Kiryu. How far am I into this game?

I've been doing quite a few sidequests, so I'm not sure how much progress in the main story I'm actually making...

If you just focus on the story close to halfway I'd say. 2 massive side activities open up though and both can easily take 20+ hours to finish up

The acceleration isn't a problem for me, it's the over-sensitive steering. I didn't have this trouble when using the real arcade wheel. I beat the arcade employee, but only barely.

I've beaten the main story yesterday and oh boy was that a ride. The story was top notch and left me craving for more. Some of the boss battles were pretty exhausting (my hand hurts haha) but overall very enjoyable. The twists and turns in the story were well executed (imo). I've turned from someone who had never played nor cared about the franchise to someone who impatiently anticipates the remaster and Y6 later this year and early next year. I WANT MORE

xezuru

After some winning streaks in R6 Siege I felt like a winner even though Im new as shit to the game, so I decided to do Climax Battle 1-8? forgot after its dumb garbage n got through and turns out I just plowed through all the rest of them and that was the only one that was a problem. Now I have left is Minigame completion, and even though I played every mainline Yakuza game I've never felt the motivation to completion till now, PS the final fight in the final climax battle, you bastards.

Alastor3

I don't really like the cabaret mini-game, all I do is pick the right girl for the situation. Im only doing it for unlocking the fighting style and for the money.

I don't really like the cabaret mini-game, all I do is pick the right girl for the situation. Im only doing it for unlocking the fighting style and for the money.

The fact that you feel the need to openly defend your actions without any provocation tells me that you're just lying to yourself and it's the most enjoyable thing you did in ages.

SkylineRKR

Outrun controls are shit. I can easily beat OR on Saturn but here i scrape through. Its hard navigating between 3 vehicles with this sensitivity. D-pad feels too slow. Its not good.

Hang On however, fucking perfect.

J4g3r

The Media King was kicking my ass last night in dancing, do I have to play the highest difficulty to keep up with him?

Tizoc

Wqit for the game maker's toolkit episode ;p

Does that actually work? The disco king is obliterating me when I pick normal. Wins by 2000 points easily.

The number of tiles increases in hard so if you're already having trouble catching up to him in normal, you're just putting a needless difficulty spike on yourself by doing it on hard.

Try to go for Easy or Normal if you're feeling bold.

Zocano

Does that actually work? The disco king is obliterating me when I pick normal. Wins by 2000 points easily.

You can beat him on normal, it's just about maximizing your steps between the dance notes. There are plenty of long pauses between notes so you should be aiming for more steps. This is on top of not missing too many notes.

hank_tree

Quick question about the ending

How did Majima know who Kiryu was in the post-credit scene? Do they know each other at this point?

How did Majima know who Kiryu was in the post-credit scene? Do they know each other at this point?

That scene was probably quite
a while after the events of Yakuza 0, and they already know each other by the start of Yakuza 1 so yes.

They both travel in a closed community. Even if they haven't met, I'm sure they'd both be incredibly aware of who the other person was after the game's events. Majima especially would know who Kiryu was since he spent part of the game looking for him.

They both travel in a closed community. Even if they haven't met, I'm sure they'd both be incredibly aware of who the other person was after the game's events. Majima especially would know who Kiryu was since he spent part of the game looking for him.

And Kiryu also heard about a guy named Majima who's trying to help Makoto so they probably knew OF each other before they even met which made getting along rather
easy.

Majima only knew him by reputation though; he hadn't met him before directly.

They probably glossed over the ACTUAL first time that they met, yes, but they knew OF each
other.

I just saw this epilogue as a bonus of what we will see in Kiwami.
That's pretty much what it is lol :D

I think a lot of newcomers are going to be surprised when they see insane, wacky Majima in full force in Kiwami.

ultron87

Just beat chapter 6.

This game is fucking outstanding like why is it so good holy shit.

I'm very slowly working through the game and I just finished that part also. Yeah it's incredible. It slowed down a bit when it you're in the real estate stuff, but then it just goes.

The Media King was kicking my ass last night in dancing, do I have to play the highest difficulty to keep up with him?

You should be able to beat the Media King on any difficulty, if it's anything like the Maharaja sidestories (and others have confirmed this). A few other things:

1) Most of your dancing opponents will have good and bad runs, meaning that it's possible to put in the same performance multiple times and eventually win even though you didn't do anything different.

2) I would worry about consistency first, and only once you get a reliably high combo and know when to use the dancing fever QTEs would I spend a lot of time worrying about extra steps in between symbols. If you watch some of the weaker opponents in disco battles, you'll notice that they try to cram in a ton of steps between symbols, but because they break combo often, it's easy to beat them even with the minimum number of steps between symbols as long as you keep the combo going. I also find that trying to go for extra steps can lead to more mistakes, which you want to avoid. If you really need the extra steps to win, maybe burn a couple of rounds mapping out good longer routes between symbols that you can hit reliably.

You should take the above with a grain of salt because I haven't actually played the Media King battle and I don't know if he's easier or harder than Ogita (who I miraculously beat after only two rounds on Normal). But also it kind of doesn't matter unless you have to pass the Media King battle to continue real estate; if it's like all the other king duels, it's a one-off battle (no rematches) and losing just means you lose 10% share for that area, which you can make up easily.

sector4

Just popping in to say that I just finished this tonight, and it's one of the greatest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Absolute master class in storytelling, the way it all unravels is a thing of beauty. I seriously can't wait for Kiwami now, going to be so cool playing 1 with the mechanics of 0, it plays so damn well!

Wonko_C

that cabaret club thing is such a grind. I loved the minigame at first but now I'm sick of it. and I've still yet to beat the last two rivals. At least Real Estate lets me wander the streets while the money makes itself, LOL.

muteki

Just started Cabaret and yeah it is a bit crazy to keep track of it all. I was starting to pick up on the hand motions though which I thought was neat.

Top Bottom