• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

RiverKwai

I, on the other hand spent like half my playtime in cabaret club because i loved it so much. Real estate seems boring to me by comparison.

Mikhal

Just got like a 300+ MB update, so I checked Bob but he didn't seem to have anything new. Anyone know what, if anything, was changed or added?

Wondering about this, too.

Looks like just a minor qol/bugfix patch, 300mb is silly considering lol

Looks like this update fixes a certain character's voice to what it was originally in the Japanese version instead of what was used in Chinese dub.

ENDGAME SPOILERS BELOW!

Megasoum

Banned
End game spoiler

So at the end they keep making references to something that happened in 1995. Are they talking about another game in the series?

OniBaka

Just beat the game and like any other yakuza title it's fantastic but I think it was the only one that made me
cry

Ending spoilers
was sad they didn't ship majima with makoto but that's probably due to Yakuza 5.

End game spoiler

So at the end they keep making references to something that happened in 1995. Are they talking about another game in the series?
The incident of 1995 is what causes Kiryu to go to prison for 10 years then in 2005 he is let out of prison. This is all told in Yakuza 1.

SkylineRKR

I gave up dancing against that guy, i hate that minigame. Took the 10% loss and actually went to try pocket circuit. Its pretty fun. I thought you had to win every cup to max friendship but apparently you can do the beginner track over and over. Anyway I did win most cups until what I think is the last one (king of speed).

it's just about maximizing your steps between the dance notes. There are plenty of long pauses between notes so you should be aiming for more steps.

This is my main complaint with the dance minigame. It actively tries to distract you from following the beat because you have to tap out a rhythm of extra notes that are separate from the rhythm, while still trying to beat-match with the note tiles.

It's a similar problem with the karaoke game, where the note lines change speed and throws off my sense of rhythm and when I'm supposed to tap. It's like they try to make you fail by throwing up distractions, instead of just making more complicated rhythms.

Vorheez

They both travel in a closed community. Even if they haven't met, I'm sure they'd both be incredibly aware of who the other person was after the game's events. Majima especially would know who Kiryu was since he spent part of the game looking for him.

And Kiryu also heard about a guy named Majima who's trying to help Makoto so they probably knew OF each other before they even met which made getting along rather
easy.
Yeah, see, my problem with this is that although they may have heard of eachother, they certainly had no idea what eachother looked like. But it appeared as if Majima recognized him almost instantly, as if he had seen him before.

I know I'm overthinking it and it was likely just a nod to the fans, but it's hard not to nitpick when everything that came before it was so well written and thought out. It just seems like a silly oversight.

JJShadow

Just finished the game, what a ride man, what a fucking ride. My first proper Yakuza game and I can say it has become by its own merits one of my favourite series, it is truly something special and you can see in every little detail how much love was put into this game and into its characters

Thanks to all the YakuzaGAF community for being such an awesome community and spread the Yakuza love everywhere, Kiwami and 6 can't come soon enough!

xezuru

Following post-game/
after credits
conversation:
My interpretation is that this is pretty much a literally reference pander and it is just an random instance within actual Yakuza 1 timeframe.

Y1 Spoiler addition to Y0 After:
In Y1 Majima manages to get his own family, and even if he doesn't know Kiryu's face and name he would've heard about the Dragon of Dojima taking out the entire Shibusawa/Tojo raid on that boat amongst other things. Kiryu eventually is able to start his own family, and Majima is too high up in the chain to not be able to hear about it, shit Kiryu probably would have to pay respects to him directly during the coronation ceremony.

Yeah, see, my problem with this is that although they may have heard of eachother, they certainly had no idea what eachother looked like. But it appeared as if Majima recognized him almost instantly, as if he had seen him before.

I know I'm overthinking it and it was likely just a nod to the fans, but it's hard not to nitpick when everything that came before it was so well written and thought out. It just seems like a silly oversight.

It's not that inconceivable. He may have seen a picture of him or had a family member point and say "see that large, brooding man with a bad suit? That's Kiryu, the guy
who took down Kuze and Shibusawa
." You've never had a friend point out someone notable that you might not know personally? You spend enough time in the same 6 block area you get to know everyone who is a regular if not by name then at least by sight.

Looks like this update fixes a certain character's voice to what it was originally in the Japanese version instead of what was used in Chinese dub.

ENDGAME SPOILERS BELOW!

So, what was the issue here? Both voices are speaking in Chinese, yes? And honestly I'm having a hard time telling the two versions apart.

Licensing issues with Atlus using clips from the Chinese dub?

Vorheez

It's not that inconceivable. He may have seen a picture of him or had a family member point and say "see that large, brooding man with a bad suit? That's Kiryu, the guy
who took down Kuze and Shibusawa
." You've never had a friend point out someone notable that you might not know personally? You spend enough time in the same 6 block area you get to know everyone who is a regular if not by name then at least by sight.
Well, it is set in the 80s so it's not like they could just pull up
Kiryu's
Facebook and say "yeah, that guy lol." And it's not like everyone has a photo of
Kiryu
in their office or in their back pocket either. I suppose he could have been pointed out on the street, but it just seems like a leap of faith is all, and that's all I'm pointing out. The prior 16 chapters ensured that no fine details were left out and then they suddenly left out a fairly significant detail in the post credit scene. It goes against the nature of their storytelling up until that point.

I do like the idea that it actually takes place within the context of Y1 though, and is set quite some time in the future

Megasoum

Banned
I have 4 and 5 installed on my PS3 and if it wasn't for Horizon, Zelda and the Y1 remake coming out this summer I think I would just jump right in 4.

So, what was the issue here? Both voices are speaking in Chinese, yes? And honestly I'm having a hard time telling the two versions apart.

Licensing issues with Atlus using clips from the Chinese dub?

They're pretty different voices (the Japanese VA is much deeper). One happens to be consistent with the rest of the character's lines as spoken by the Japanese version's VA, and one isn't because it's actually for a different dub. That's it.

I'm not nearly familiar enough with Mandarin to know which VA speaks it better, but it'd be funny if the Japanese game's VA was less authentic than the one that mistakenly made it into the original NA release.

I have 4 and 5 installed on my PS3 and if it wasn't for Horizon, Zelda and the Y1 remake coming out this summer I think I would just jump right in 4.

I jumped into 5 less than a week after 0, despite Horizon's impending release, and have zero regrets. In fact, I'm kind of glad my copy of Horizon hasn't shipped yet because it means I can keep spending all my time on Yakuza 5 instead.

SkylineRKR

Going to buy this today. My first in the franchise.

Is it worth the 60?

Its worth 120.

The game throws so much at you. In a fun way.

Its a real game. What I mean with that is, some things are ridiculous but it all fits within this universe. Its serious when needed, but also bat shit insane. The kind of character a lot of other modern era games lack. Sometimes you'll nearly cry manly tears, but another time you're running around town with a pizza and a countdown timer so that it doesn't get cold. There is so much to be found in this, I have clocked around 40 hours now and still experience completely unique stuff. The insanity is saved for side content which is brilliant, you can ignore it all though thats not advised. You can pause the story and get into the most idiotic situations, and you get to like those side characters.

I skipped RE7 and Berseria because of this game. And not planning on getting Horizon at launch either, not before I wrap this up which won't be before next week. So this game saved me money, lol.

Its worth 120.

The game throws so much at you. In a fun way.

Its a real game. What I mean with that is, some things are ridiculous but it all fits within this universe. Its serious when needed, but also bat shit insane. The kind of character a lot of other modern era games lack. Sometimes you'll nearly cry manly tears, but another time you're running around town with a pizza and a countdown timer so that it doesn't get cold. There is so much to be found in this, I have clocked around 40 hours now and still experience completely unique stuff. The insanity is saved for side content which is brilliant, you can ignore it all though thats not advised. You can pause the story and get into the most idiotic situations, and you get to like those side characters.

I skipped RE7 and Berseria because of this game. And not planning on getting Horizon at launch either, not before I wrap this up which won't be before next week. So this game saved me money, lol.

My favorite side-quest ever.

SkylineRKR

Also the way Kiryu picks up a telephone. Its ridiculous but just very cool and gamey. Or the way characters shake when they get aroused. It gets me every time.

Also the way Kiryu picks up a telephone. Its ridiculous but just very cool and gamey. Or the way characters shake when they get aroused. It gets me every time.

My favourite character animation in the whole game is when
Video Boy gets rejected by the not-girl-in-the-video girl and he freaks out.
I left that one playing for a good minute or so while laughing my ass off.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The amount of content blows my mind.
Like i have about 30 hours of playtime and i've seen less than a half of the sidequest and minigames. @__@

GeeTeeCee

I just need to scrape together two more CP to unlock the
Limit Break
, and then I think I'll finally be happy to push forward and try to complete the game.

IcyStorm

Did some of you actually learn shogi, Japanese mahjong, and the other minigames to complete those tasks? If it only weren't for those minigame related completion list items, I could actually 100% it ._.

OniBaka

If you want a game with great character development like yakuza I recommend not skipping Berseria. Both games are fighting for GOTY title for me and I don't know which to choose.

Did some of you actually learn shogi, Japanese mahjong, and the other minigames to complete those tasks? If it only weren't for those minigame related completion list items, I could actually 100% it ._.
Personally I eventually said screw it and just finished the story. I completed what I feel the majority of the game which was most of the side stories, Kiryu's Real Estate and Majima's Cabaret Club stuff.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Going to buy this today. My first in the franchise.

Is it worth the 60?

I'm 33 hours into the game and I'm not even halfway through the story.

I'll end up paying less than a dollar per hour for the entertainment by the time I finish.

Shogi frightens me and I actively avoid it. Same with mahjong. Some of the gambling games are easier to wrap your head around, though.

xclk07

I learned everything but Shoji (the CP for it can be cheesed by making specific moves on the first challenge and doing it 5 times). Mahjong was the hardest one to grasp, everything else didn't take longer than a couple hours.

I need a pizza to work.

XBvhQcp.jpg

I got really into the gambling games especially koi-koi. Mahjong I started to wrap my head around but still kept losing. I have no idea how shogi works although that's probably the easiest one to learn the rules of since it's so similar to chess. I'm sure I'd lose at regular chess too.

Dy_Cy

I finished the game during the weekend and I just wanted to drop by to say how much I loved this game.

I already played a few hours of the first Yakuza but this one was the first I really delved into. The gameplay is great but the main thing that made me love the game was the writing and the presentation.

I'm sure some people might look at the series thinking "oh Japan you so wacky", but the writing is legit good and the most impressive part of it is that it nails so much tones. When it tries to be badass, goosebumps arise. When it tries to be funny, I laugh. When it tries to be sad, I cry manly tears.
There is so much characters and every one of them is well developed and I can feel for them even though the story is full of bad people. The only thing that I think could have been handled better is
the transition between cool Majima and crazy Majima.

I truly respect how the team is able to manage their budget in a way that each scene feels as good as it should. Sure there are a lot of dialogues that are either not voice acted or directed with actual cinematography, but these scenes wouldn't need all that and that means that they can afford making those glorious and flashy cutscenes when shit is getting real. Yakuza's cutscenes have some kind of flair that is reminiscent of the ones seen in Metal Gear Solid, where I could watch two people talk about random nonsense for 10 minutes just because of how cool it all looks.

I will definitely buy Kiwami, I grew way to attached to the suave dragon of Dojima.

PS : Sega please localize Ishin.

DJMicLuv

My favourite character animation in the whole game is when
Video Boy gets rejected by the not-girl-in-the-video girl and he freaks out.
I left that one playing for a good minute or so while laughing my ass off.

I think this gets used again with another character but I can't remember which. He runs around in circles slapping himself in the head with both hands.

One of my favourite things is when sex gets implied in the arcade girl's stories and it just zooms in on their respective genitals while a 'sexy noise' plays. The pay offs for those friendships are some of the funniest parts in the game for me.

Finished the story with 28% completion, haha. I felt like I was slacking off on the story pretty hard for awhile midway through.

How do I reliably find substories for each character? I only did about half of them, and I'm not really bumping into any anymore. I know some flow out of friendships/minigames etc... but I'm not really going for 100% completion so much as just playing the content I like
Mahjong!
Are there any in the "other" city for each character, or are they all in their home base?

abd

I finally got my teeth into this game and I think I like the side quests the most.
A lot of the time they tire me and pull me out of the game. These just get me more interested.

So question about the new patch (which is weird but also awesome because this is the first English patch I have EVER seen for a Yakuza game) regarding the fixed audio bugs...Does it correct the
Lao Gui problem where his Sam Lee voice is heard throughout his boss fight?

Though I should have brought up this bug with the Mr. Shakedowns earlier when the game came out (and John was still around):

if you exit the game during the fight (like quit to the title screen) and reload the file, when it loads it appears like you've just lost the fight and thus you lose you money upon the reload. Happened to me like twice early on, and the second time actually crashed my game. It's not a permanent issue, you just have to reload the file again and you're back to normal.

thank you to whoever made my avatar. i'm gonna retire it for now but i'll save it to my computer and bring it back when kiwami comes out

Jamie OD

I think a lot of newcomers are going to be surprised when they see insane, wacky Majima in full force in Kiwami.

There was a point in the penultimate chapter where it felt like I was on the road to seeing Majima's sanity fall apart with no return but it never quite reached that destination. His special feature in Kiwami is played for laughs so I wouldn't worry too much about any possible accusations of flanderisation.

Top Bottom