• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

M.W.

Is this game worth it if I am only going to play the main missions? I only ask because I want to experience a Yakuza game, but I generally don't do a whole lot of side quests in games.

I believe IGN said the main story is 30 hours long. Even without the side stuff that's hefty as fook.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong on the first boss?

it's on hard mode but the game was too easy until this point. Now it's impossible. He just randomly breaks out of my combos and then wails on me for half my life. It seems random chance whether my triangle finisher lands or he dodges it and does a billion damage to me. I can get him to his second phase but then he gets even worse.

I'm using the quick style, I don't like the other one much at all.

WHAT
triangle attacks are not guaranteed, chip at him with jabs. in rush, jab jab jab>dodge forward>jab jab jab is strong against him. he'll attack after blocking, so play attentively and if he blocks, evade his next attack.

in the second half of the fight use the slower fight style and dodge to his back when he attacks, then grab him from behind.

Having just booted up the game today and beaten Chapter 1 I have to say I think this might just be the best opening chapter to a Yakuza game yet and I've played them all. Hope it stays this good throughout.

Mupod

triangle attacks are not guaranteed, chip at him with jabs. in rush, jab jab jab>dodge forward>jab jab jab is strong against him. he'll attack after blocking, so play attentively and if he blocks, evade his next attack.

in the second half of the fight use the slower fight style and dodge to his back when he attacks, then grab him from behind.

he breaks out of the grab before I can do anything so uhh

also it takes forever to get him down with just jabs. And he just randomly breaks out or super armors through my moves half the time.

SephLuis

it's on hard mode but the game was too easy until this point. Now it's impossible. He just randomly breaks out of my combos and then wails on me for half my life. It seems random chance whether my triangle finisher lands or he dodges it and does a billion damage to me. I can get him to his second phase but then he gets even worse.

WHAT

Use rush style and dash to go around him and hit him in the back.
Quick combos are best: jab, jab, triangle works wonders.

First time Yakuza player here. Played for a while earlier and played chapter 1.

I love it. The characters, story, brutal combat are fantastic. Graphics are surprisingly good too. Only thing I don't like as others have mentioned is the weird visual novel cutscenes.

Going to play it all day tomorrow :)

Mupod

Use rush style and dash to go around him and hit him in the back.
Quick combos are best: jab, jab, triangle works wonders.

if by works wonders you mean he dodges and traps me in a combo for half my health.

anyways I figured out the grab thing. I can probably just cheese him with this.

Akoi

Tempted to buy this, I know it would probably be an insult to compare this to sleeping dogs, but for someone that loved the combat of that game and wants more of a game sorta like a that. Would you recommend this game?

Menitta

Tempted to buy this, I know it would probably be an insult to compare this to sleeping dogs, but for someone that loved the combat of that game and wants more of a game sorta like a that. Would you recommend this game?

If you liked the combat of Sleeping Dogs, you'll love Yakuza's combat.

pots555

Well, I was trying to finish 4 before starting 0 but I could not wait. The graphics in this are amazing. I was shocked at first. What a leap (I still have to play 5). Amazing game!

oneida

he breaks out of the grab before I can do anything so uhh

also it takes forever to get him down with just jabs. And he just randomly breaks out or super armors through my moves half the time.
if he's breaking out of grabs you're taking to long to hit triangle (or mash circle) after grabbing. i beat him in hard mode this way.

So apparently I can't stop playing the disco dancing mini game.

Bought this game on a whim last weekend and I love it. First Yakuza game, but definitely not the last.

Mupod

if he's breaking out of grabs you're taking to long to hit triangle (or mash circle) after grabbing. i beat him in hard mode this way.

I'm mashing it as I grab him. He breaks out before the prompt even appears. I try waiting for the prompt and he breaks out.

I just don't get it, everything is so inconsistent and makes no sense.

First time Yakuza player here. Played for a while earlier and played chapter 1.

I love it. The characters, story, brutal combat are fantastic. Graphics are surprisingly good too. Only thing I don't like as others have mentioned is the weird visual novel cutscenes.

What don't you like about the cutscenes? I'll admit it was jarring at first, but I kinda dig them now. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the character models are higher-res in that mode?

Upper left hand corner of Kamurocho. It's near the children's park which is near Theater Square.

(At least I think. That's where I was introduced to it.)

Top left area of the map in Kamuracho (just by the taxi). Its location is the same place where Seijima's dojo side stories take place in Yakuza 4 and 5.
Ok thanks. Can I access the catfights too or do I have to progress further in the story?

oneida

I'm mashing it as I grab him. He breaks out before the prompt even appears. I try waiting for the prompt and he breaks out.

I just don't get it, everything is so inconsistent and makes no sense.
you don't have to wait for the prompt, he's breaking out of your throws when you grab from behind after dodging one of his attacks?

oneida

beat OutRun with 1 second to spare, lol...

xRePMzg.jpg

Mupod

you don't have to wait for the prompt, he's breaking out of your throws when you grab from behind after dodging one of his attacks?

Yes. Dodge behind him, grab, immediately mash circle, 90% of the time he breaks out. I thought it might be related to heat level but he just did it 4 times in a row with me at 3 full bars.

I'm sure loving these punch hitboxes that hit me when I'm BEHIND him too.

oneida

Yes. Dodge behind him, grab, immediately mash circle, 90% of the time he breaks out. I thought it might be related to heat level but he just did it 4 times in a row with me at 3 full bars.

I'm sure loving these punch hitboxes that hit me when I'm BEHIND him too.
no, it doesn't have anything to do with heat... i don't see why it would work differently for me than you though... if throws aren't working, do PPP after dodging instead.

ar4757

WHAT

Took me a few tries on hard (I've played all the Yakuza games on normal until this one). Wait for him to attack then dodge, leaving him open to a couple attacks. Repeat until your heat is full, then grab him with circle and hit circle again to knock him to the ground (might have to spam circle since it's a boss fight). Then use your heat move (triangle) while he's on the ground. The kicking his body sideways one does a lot more than the stepping on his head one haha

Mupod

Took me a few tries on hard (I've played all the Yakuza games on normal until this one). Wait for him to attack then dodge, leaving him open to a couple attacks. Repeat until your heat is full, then grab him with circle and hit circle again to knock him to the ground (might have to spam circle since it's a boss fight). Then use your heat move (triangle) while he's on the ground. The kicking his body sideways one does a lot more than the stepping on his head one haha

this is what I've been doing. My problem is when the grab decides to fail, it just did it 7 times in a row. Last run I got him to 10% hp with me at 90% when he decided to say lol no I'm immune now.

I tried using the punch instead of throw and he breaks out of that too. I'd like to know if I'm just fundamentally missing something here because I'm doing everything suggested.

Jimrpg

When first playing this series back in the day (2-4) I did that (with a few sidequests here and there) and they were all worth my money and then some. I later turned back to the games for some sidestuff, but these games tend to have well developed stories and I think that is one of the main draws in the first instance. I am sure Yakuza 0 follows suit.

I've played the series mostly for the main story, and you can do it that and the story will keep you entertained. But for Zero I'm definitely playing as much as I can of the sub stories this time round.

Got myself a digital copy after seeing the positive reception.

Quick question: I started Yakuza 5 a few weeks ago(3~hrs in), which btw is my first entry into the series. Should I beat 5 first, then play 0?

Jimrpg

It's not the same. There's more side stepping dodging in Yakuza 0. Sleeping dogs there are more reversals. Both have sick 'heat' actions, lethal moves. You'll like both!

Jimrpg

Got myself a digital copy after seeing the positive reception.

Quick question: I started Yakuza 5 a few weeks ago(3~hrs in), which btw is my first entry into the series. Should I beat 5 first, then play 0?

Play 0.

You have about 40hrs to go in Yakuza 5 if you only do story.

Top Bottom