• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Ultimadrago

Running into a mob with Beast Style and simply tornado tossing the front man into his mates (Heat move) for an instant win feels

very good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's great that all the fighting styles feel good. Especially after 5 included the worst character and the worst fighting style in series history
241f9.jpg

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Running the cabaret club is really additive, enjoy it more than the property management.

Menitta

I'm constantly blown away by this game's art style and direction. It's soooo good.

How is everyone leveling up? I've tried to balance it out between the three styles, but I've mostly put it towards Rush, which is what I use the most.

For the disco mini game I really recommend swallowing your pride and just starting on easy for them, it really helps you understand how the rhythm timing works.

Just did the 'I've never even seen a boob' side quest and the dominatrix one in the park. Game is top keks lol

Lmao at the password side mission.
Kiryu feeling happy with a cheerful song popping up once he got it correct and then forgetting what he was doing seconds later. Dude even care about what the guy had to sell lol

Ultimadrago

I'm constantly blown away by this game's art style and direction. It's soooo good.

How is everyone leveling up? I've tried to balance it out between the three styles, but I've mostly put it towards Rush, which is what I use the most.

I've been balanced because funds have forced me to be. I still haven't found a great way to get lots of Cash, but intend to get more Beast skills once I do (with Kiryu anyways). I just started Chapter 3, so hopefully a means of more funds, asides from betting in games I suck at, shows up sooner than later.

I've been balanced because funds have forced me to be. I still haven't found a great way to get lots of Cash, but intend to get more Beast skills once I do (with Kiryu anyways). I just started Chapter 3, so hopefully a means of more funds, asides from betting in games I suck at, shows up sooner than later.

I think once Kiryu's real estate business opens up, we'll be able to get a lot of money from that.

Menitta

I'd hope the amount of money you get increases. Like, I look at some of the future upgrades and some cost 100 million and higher. Also, I feel that, while in some situations it's better to use one style over the others, you don't really have any incentive to max out all three. You just pick one you like and stick with it. It's not like Ishin where at a certain point, you can swap styles on the fly and it turns into a cohesive system. I've just been changing styles to mix it up every now and then.

Jimrpg

It's great that all the fighting styles feel good. Especially after 5 included the worst character and the worst fighting style in series history
241f9.jpg

How is he the worst character? His part was way better than Saejima's in the same game.

Worst fighting style debatable I guess.

SephLuis

What are the best stats for real estate? Having Circle, Triangle, and Cross as an indicator is pretty dumb.

X is bad. Triangle is medium. Circle is good. If there is two circles (one smaller inside the bigger one) is great.

In Japan they use X as a No symbol and O as a yes, so it's pretty straightforward if you know that

Ultimadrago

I think once Kiryu's real estate business opens up, we'll be able to get a lot of money from that.

Sweet, thanks!

I'd hope the amount of money you get increases. Like, I look at some of the future upgrades and some cost 100 million and higher. Also, I feel that, while in some situations it's better to use one style over the others, you don't really have any incentive to max out all three. You just pick one you like and stick with it. It's not like Ishin where at a certain point, you can swap styles on the fly and it turns into a cohesive system. I've just been changing styles to mix it up every now and then.

Yeah, I've been wondering how important it would be to cover certain styles. For example, Beast is much better with environmental objects around (like in Chapter 2's Boss), but you may not always have that at your disposal. In that situation it'd be good to have a fallback perhaps? I don't think on-person weapons really count much more towards the range efficiency there.

Also, for some reason I thought Yakuza 0 was the first title to implement fighting styles (it's my first, so I likely misheard). Are similar systems found in other games of the series, or is Ishin an outlier?

MYeager

How is he the worst character? His part was way better than Saejima's in the same game.

Wut?

Saejima's chapter had bear fighting, singing Rogue of Love in a dream sequence, you could make snowmen and be Santa. His fighting style was The Hulk. Not a single moment of that guys part was better than Saejima's.

cj_iwakura

Funny how the one who actually runs both businesses, Akiyama, isn't even in the game. He's involved in both real estate and hostess bars.

Nah, I'd say it's fact. I love the character, but I HATE his fighting style. Tackle tackle tackle.

Story wise, though, one of the best parts of 5. Akiyama was wasted on being Haruka's babysitter.

Mazre

Arakure Sidestory
Dragon Quest 3 inspired side story put a huge smile on my face.

Almost done with chapter 2 I think, having a blast.

Menitta

Sweet, thanks!

Yeah, I've been wondering how important it would be to cover certain styles. For example, Beast is much better with environmental objects around (like in Chapter 2's Boss), but you may not always have that at your disposal. In that situation it'd be good to have a fallback perhaps? I don't think on-person weapons really count much more towards the range efficiency there.

Also, for some reason I thought Yakuza 0 was the first title to implement fighting styles (it's my first, so I likely misheard). Are similar systems found in other games of the series, or is Ishin an outlier?

The styles started with Ishin, but it kinda goes before that. Yakuza 4 was the first one where you play as different characters throughout the story and they each have their own style of fighting. 5 does the same. Yakuza Ishin seemed to take the ideas from 4 and 5 where instead of playing as different characters, you play as one character with 4 different styles. 0 took that a step further where you play as two characters with 3 styles each. That being said, Ishin was never localized. 0 is the first one in English to have styles.

RiverKwai

Don't dodge, just run away and stay away from him for :60.

Just stay away form him and dodge when he comes to attack you (dodge with X + direction is easier than to use L1). Stay away and repeat this until time is over..

This is seriously not working for me at all. There's nowhere to run to! Dude is on me instantly. I can last maybe 20 seconds max.

Is this going to seriously hamper me in any way if I just give up on this completely? Like, I can beat up 4 dudes without being touched on the street but I can't dodge one drunk dude in a parking lot.

MYeager

Property Management and Cabaret Management will show up for you soon. Those give a ton of cash as you go along.

major reason i've always loved this series. the constant transition from melodrama to comedy & back again is just handled so incredibly well. it really shouldn't work, but it does! :) ...

It really is one of my favorite series for that reason. There are parts of Yakuza 0 that are so melodramatic that it should be cheesy, like a character that's so tragic normally it'd be absurd yet somehow it got dusty.

MYeager

This is seriously not working for me at all. There's nowhere to run to! Dude is on me instantly. I can last maybe 20 seconds max.

Is this going to seriously hamper me in any way if I just give up on this completely? Like, I can beat up 4 dudes without being touched on the street but I can't dodge one drunk dude in a parking lot.

Seriously just walk around the bystanders and you'll pass.

convo

I was worried at first too but rush style dodging and the tip of locking on with R1 got me more confident in that style.
I was worried Mr.Shakedown would be a nightmare at this rate but newfound confidence with rush style made him easy. Now this second Mr.Shakedown is giving me trouble with his sumo moves lol. It's okay to be afraid and uncertain at first, maybe get some money to upgrade your styles and attempt those challenges later.

Jimrpg

Wut?

Saejima's chapter had bear fighting, singing Rogue of Love in a dream sequence, you could make snowmen and be Santa. His fighting style was The Hulk. Not a single moment of that guys part was better than Saejima's.

Saejima's story was like every typical prison movie except with all the interesting bits taken out of it. Then he gets stranded in a snow village for at least 2 hours for unnecessary story.

Shinada's story was hilarious and sad at the same time, you could tell he had a huge fall from grace from the writing and from his past life as an upcoming baseball star and how he had it all taken away from him. The story also had me guessing about Takasugi and his motives and who the mystery guy in the mask was. And the subplot of him being an 'adult entertainment reviewer' with his hostess friend 'milky' fits him to a T.

I'm only looking at it from a story perspective though, as I didn't play much in the way of subquests, but Shinada's story was entertaining all the way through as was Kiryu's in Y5.

Been enjoying some of the side quests. I wanted to get done with Chapter 2 today, but I ended up doing side stories and looking around. I've been loving the dialogue and weird side missions a whole lot. Really glad I picked this game up!

Top Bottom