• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Not only got the high-score in Space Harrier but actually managed to get to a bonus stage as well?! I guess I lost so many times that I eventually became good at this lol

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Found the event finder item for Goro, you need to build up friendship with the Komian restaurant.

Just buy food and then you need to do a quest that involves fishing, the reward is the trouble finder item which helps you locate side quests.

space harrier is so awesome!
i went to the drug store and got some staminian royale =)
Good man. You never know when Mr.Shakedown might surprise you :)
Found the event finder item for Goro, you need to build up friendship with the Komian restaurant.

Just buy food and then you need to do a quest that involves fishing, the reward is the trouble finder item which helps you locate side quests.
I actually got an encounter finder from doing a sub-story. At first I was so happy thinking that it's for sub-stories but then realized that it's the same item I would use in Yakuza 5 to find (and avoid) punks who wanted to pick up a fight with me.

Thanks to you, now I know where to look!

jrcbandit

Mr. Shakedown is terrifying.

Thank goodness for Secret Wallet and the CP shrine skills.

Where do you get the secret wallet? I encountered the intro to Mr Shakedown and scared to see him again.

Also, is there a point to the various non-health items you can pick up? Should I keep a bottle of whiskey, tissue, plushies, etc on-hand for potential side quests, or do you just bank everything and fill up most of the inventory slots with Stamina X, XX, and Emperor (or whatever the 3rd level is called).

Ultimadrago

Man, I can't believe the gravure booth came with its own side story. LOL

Where do you get the secret wallet? I encountered the intro to Mr Shakedown and scared to see him again.

Also, is there a point to the various non-health items you can pick up? Should I keep a bottle of whiskey, tissue, plushies, etc on-hand for potential side quests, or do you just bank everything and fill up most of the inventory slots with Stamina X, XX, and Emperor (or whatever the 3rd level is called).

The Secret Wallet should be sold at Ebisu's Pawn Shop.

Conezays

Loving it so far, the only complaint I have form the initial 4-ish hours are that those weird non animated cut scenes look reeeeealy cheap.

Yep, I thought the same. It's especially jarring as they're sometimes placed in between in-game cut scenes and then CGI. The opening of the game having them made me feel a little lukewarm but that changed once things started progressing.

Caim

Ebisu Pawn Shop for the wallet. I would keep a tissue for the "Stop and Search" substory.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Quick and possibly dumb question about the substories this time around. I see the majority of Kiryu's are available in Chapter 2. Will they still be available in later chapters? I don't want to hang out in Chapter 2 grinding out substories forever, heh (I mean, I know I could do them in Premium, but still).

Could just be me but the baseball feels like an incredible step backwards after shinada's baseball chapter in Y5.

Yeah, I love the way Shinada's baseball stuff was done in 5, so going back to "other" way in 0 and Kiwami doesn't feel quite as satisfying. To 6's credit though, they stick with Shinada's mechanics and honestly it feels like a better set of side missions/mini game because of it (I just spent an hour playing 6's batting cage and grass baseball. It was insanely addictive!).

Quick and possibly dumb question about the substories this time around. I see the majority of Kiryu's are available in Chapter 2. Will they still be available in later chapters? I don't want to hang out in Chapter 2 grinding out substories forever, heh (I mean, I know I could do them in Premium, but still).

Side stories don't disappear, so you'll still have them to do in later chapters if you leave them. More will open up as you reach later chapters.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Some of these side stories are utterly hilarious

Is there a better way to dodge in this game ? Sometimes I get suck in between two super fast enemies and can't get a hit in

Also I am the pocket tissues king.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
My girlfriend just saw those Chestnut the Squirrel dolls in the UFO catcher and felt in love with them, so I let her give a try and catch one. It's been 30 minutes and she won't let me have the controller back lol

Basically what happened with me and my girlfriend last night, haha

"Can I have a try?"

(30 minutes later...)

robotrock

Banned
I'm in chapter 1 still, but have a question. Can you buy and stock up on health items before
you go on to take on the Dojima guys when you want to end your oath?

if so, where/what are these health items and where can i get them

This game is making me love majima even more than before. I always thought that was impossible.
Tell me about it. He is too good, hahaha.
I'm in chapter 1 still, but have a question. Can you buy and stock up on health items before
you go on to take on the Dojima guys when you want to end your oath?

if so, where/what are these health items and where can i get them
Go to a drug store and buy 7-8 stamina royale. The drug store should be around the center of the map.

JJShadow

I've decided to switch to Hard since I was finding the fights a bit easy on Normal once I got used to the combat. Much better now, they actually present a real challenge and you have to know when to dodge or evade

I cannot wait until the next boss destroys me to go back to Normal lol

robotrock

Banned
Go to a drug store and buy 7-8 stamina royale. The drug store should be around the center of the map.

will do! another question: when is space harrier available to play? first thing I did once I was free in the open world was I headed to the arcade, but couldn't find a way in. not sure if it's blocked until later in the game, or if it is a shenmue thing where I have to be there at a specific time?

ar4757

My friend and I had a competition at the arcades, where we would compete in different games. UFO Catcher, tie (1 each), Space Harrier, I lost, other UFO Catcher, tie (1 each), and finally Outrun (win!).

Played Outrun with him for at least an hour last night, having never played it before. We took turns trying to see who could get farther, and each took different routes. We slowly were able to get to the end of the second areas but couldn't make it to the third lol. Still got the higher score!

So we took it to 2-player pool to crown the victor, and I lost at 9-ball despite sinking more balls and doing a combo 2 in 1 shot.

So much stuff to do, but I must get better at Outrun!

ar4757

will do! another question: when is space harrier available to play? first thing I did once I was free in the open world was I headed to the arcade, but couldn't find a way in. not sure if it's blocked until later in the game, or if it is a shenmue thing where I have to be there at a specific time?

After Chapter 1 it opens. I was curious too because I was really wanting to go to the arcade asap. Chapter 1 is
almost over for you
I think

Drewfonse

Is this game worth it if I am only going to play the main missions? I only ask because I want to experience a Yakuza game, but I generally don't do a whole lot of side quests in games.

SephLuis

Is this game worth it if I am only going to play the main missions?

I would say yes because the main story is solid, but you wouldn't see a lot of things that make Yakuza special such as side activities and the substories.

Beyond that, you might find combat difficult and repetitive since you will probably get to the end game very weak and with most moves locked.

Peroroncino

For the amazing story and great combat alone? Of course. You'll miss ton of content, but I wouldn't say it's crucial if you just wanna kickback and dwell in Tokyo's red light district filled to the brim with heads that need bashing.

btw. this guy made a GREAT video about the series, using 1 chapter of Y0 as an example [so slight spoilers, but worth it, if you don't know if it's a game for you]:

Yakuza 0 is as HYPE as it Gets

Harmen

When first playing this series back in the day (2-4) I did that (with a few sidequests here and there) and they were all worth my money and then some. I later turned back to the games for some sidestuff, but these games tend to have well developed stories and I think that is one of the main draws in the first instance. I am sure Yakuza 0 follows suit.

joeblow

Bumping my question for those who are now awake...

"How easy is Hard? I've only played Y4 in the series, and despite playing on Hard, the fights were mind-numbingly easy (except boss fights).

I see that Legendary difficulty in Y0 is unfortunately locked behind having to play through once, so if I pick this up, what should I expect from Hard?"

What is this Fantasy Zone game! It's so addictive.

Honestly I've been in the Sega arcades for the past two hours just doing different mini-games and friendship stuff. I feel like this is the best Sega arcade in a Yakuza game to date.
ar4757 already answered this. Just to give you a little more details on the arcades, you have to unlock certain games through friendship quests. Outrun and Space Harrier are available from the beginning but Super Hang-On and Fantasy Zone need to be unlocked.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I am doing an Easy run to get through the story and will do legendary afterwards, so that I actually require the rewards from side missions/minigames to make progress. However, I would like to do all the achievements on easy that would be otherwise ridiculously hard on Legendary (due to harder combat difficulty). Which should I make sure to pursue on easy then? Already did the Mr Shakedown one.

mileS

First impressions, 2 hours in. Maybe it was the overwhelming amount of posts mentioning how long and slow the opening hours are that set my expectations in check. Lowered them in a way. I have to say I'm an outlier here, I thought the opening was perfect. I know nothing about Kiryu as a character (first Yakuza game) but within the first 30-40 min you get good feel for the type of person he is. Without beating you over the head with backstory upfront, or forced cutscenes introducing him as a character, you are kind of just thrown in the world and get little hints here and there. I have to say I really appreciate the subtle approach to character and world building. Fantastic stuff. Already I am floored at how they can go from serious and tense scenes, to absolutely hilarious or whacky ones. Judging off of others comments, this is pretty much the series. Why am I just jumping in now?!

Couple quick points before I head back to play more.
-Localization is spot on. It cannot be said enough how good it is. Even the opening combat tutorials are hilarious and have this admirable charm.
-Really need to get used to the camera. I usually always adjust my camera and pan around while walking. The auto center and having to hold the stick in a direction so it doesn't whip back is very off putting. Not being able to point the camera up or down past a certain point is difficult as well. Just need to teach myself to hold the stick more, and in some cases adjust it less.
-I didn't expect the graphics to be that great from what I heard. Again, maybe my expectations were lowered enough off of the reviews or comments. And while that may be true polygon wise, the texture work for most of the game world is very impressive to me right now. I'm sure there are plenty of crappy textures here and there but overall from what I've seen of the city? eh this is pretty good. Maybe I expected it to be a little bit more lazy. 1080p 60fps goes a long way. While I wish it had pro support I completely understand why it doesn't (has been out for ages in Japan)

What a ride ahead of me :) I love this game.

Drewfonse

When first playing this series back in the day (2-4) I did that (with a few sidequests here and there) and they were all worth my money and then some. I later turned back to the games for some sidestuff, but these games tend to have well developed stories and I think that is one of the main draws in the first instance. I am sure Yakuza 0 follows suit.

For the amazing story and great combat alone? Of course. You'll miss ton of content, but I wouldn't say it's crucial if you just wanna kickback and dwell in Tokyo's red light district filled to the brim with heads that need bashing.

btw. this guy made a GREAT video about the series, using 1 chapter of Y0 as an example [so slight spoilers, but worth it, if you don't know if it's a game for you]:

Yakuza 0 is as HYPE as it Gets

I would say yes because the main story is solid, but you wouldn't see a lot of things that make Yakuza special such as side activities and the substories.

Beyond that, you might find combat difficult and repetitive since you will probably get to the end game very weak and with most moves locked.

OK, thanks. Might just give it a shot.

SephLuis

Bumping my question for those who are now awake...

"How easy is Hard? I've only played Y4 in the series, and despite playing on Hard, the fights were mind-numbingly easy (except boss fights).

I see that Legendary difficulty in Y0 is unfortunately locked behind having to play through once, so if I pick this up, what should I expect from Hard?"

If you're used to action games, hard won't be much of a challenge.

fastmower

First impressions, 2 hours in. Maybe it was the overwhelming amount of posts mentioning how long and slow the opening hours are that set my expectations in check. Lowered them in a way. I have to say I'm an outlier here, I thought the opening was perfect. I know nothing about Kiryu as a character (first Yakuza game) but within the first 30-40 min you get good feel for the type of person he is. Without beating you over the head with backstory upfront, or forced cutscenes introducing him as a character, you are kind of just thrown in the world and get little hints here and there. I have to say I really appreciate the subtle approach to character and world building. Fantastic stuff. Already I am floored at how they can go from serious and tense scenes, to absolutely hilarious or whacky ones. Judging off of others comments, this is pretty much the series. Why am I just jumping in now?!

Couple quick points before I head back to play more.
-Localization is spot on. It cannot be said enough how good it is. Even the opening combat tutorials are hilarious and have this admirable charm.
-Really need to get used to the camera. I usually always adjust my camera and pan around while walking. The auto center and having to hold the stick in a direction so it doesn't whip back is very off putting. Not being able to point the camera up or down past a certain point is difficult as well. Just need to teach myself to hold the stick more, and in some cases adjust it less.
-I didn't expect the graphics to be that great from what I heard. Again, maybe my expectations were lowered enough off of the reviews or comments. And while that may be true polygon wise, the texture work for most of the game world is very impressive to me right now. I'm sure there are plenty of crappy textures here and there but overall from what I've seen of the city? eh this is pretty good. Maybe I expected it to be a little bit more lazy. 1080p 60fps goes a long way. While I wish it had pro support I completely understand why it doesn't (has been out for ages in Japan)

What a ride ahead of me :) I love this game.
I couldn't have said it any better. I want to add that the facial animation can be very nuanced - which really helps enrich the characters and story telling.

Mupod

can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong on the first boss?

it's on hard mode but the game was too easy until this point. Now it's impossible. He just randomly breaks out of my combos and then wails on me for half my life. It seems random chance whether my triangle finisher lands or he dodges it and does a billion damage to me. I can get him to his second phase but then he gets even worse.

I'm using the quick style, I don't like the other one much at all.

If you're used to action games, hard won't be much of a challenge.

WHAT

Top Bottom