• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

SephLuis

I seem to be very bad at dodging the drunk guy in the "fisting master's" challenge in the parking lot. Any tips, or just practice/git gud?

Just stay away form him and dodge when he comes to attack you (dodge with X + direction is easier than to use L1). Stay away and repeat this until time is over.

OH YAS! I GOT IT IN THE MAIL!

huh, strange though the back says 1 player and then 2-4 players online, is the multiplayer not local?

Some minigames are local, others online.

Ultimadrago

bruh, the same thing happened to me, I had to remove it. Once you get hit in a string, it is almost impossible to get out, especially if you got caught in the corner. It was like playing an old arcade game where there the is minimal hitstun.

Exactly! The Men in Black started taking on a whole new meaning.

dukeoflegs

The manual's not finished yet. If you need help, tweet @TriggerRedd, the guy in charge of Yakuza 0's localization.

BTW, you know there's no autosaving, right? You have to manually save each time at a phone booth...

That's too bad about the manual. I been saving at the phonebooth, but when I stopped playing last night I put the system to sleep mode while I was in the fight and thought I'd come back to it today when I got off work. Hope that works....

MYeager

That's too bad about the manual. I been saving at the phonebooth, but when I stopped playing last night I put the system to sleep mode while I was in the fight and thought I'd come back to it today when I got off work. Hope that works....

It does I did this a lot with Y0

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love Goro Majima dialogue, the localisation is excellent.

Oh and his breaker combat style is friggan awesome, going all Eddy Gordo.

Menitta

The first boss fight against
Kuze
is goddamn amazing. This is the first time I'm playing a Yakuza game on hard and that was the most fun I've had in a boss fight in the series. The closer a boss fight feels like a fighting game, the better and that felt like a freaking fighting game. Rush mode is awesome.

RedFury

What a fucking way to start the year. Loving Yakuza 0 (first yakuza despite owning 3,4,5. I refuse to play out of order, it's an issue.). Then there is GR2, Last Guardian, Nioh, Nier, Horizon. Don't have enough time to play them all but no complaints here, that's a GOOD problem to have. Feels like PS2 Era where games were just fun. Don't know where the change began but the push to cinematic game play made the actual gameplay take a back seat. Yakuza 0 is so good in that regard. Good story with serious tone, VA, etc. but also nailed the gameplay part. Fun and wacky for that purpose, just to be fun. Having trouble articulating what I mean but that's the gist of it.

Can anyone speak to how limited the Launch Edition stock is? I'm a little worried because my copy got kinda crushed en route from Amazon, and I'm worried that my replacement won't include the extras.

Menitta

Is it me or are there less places you can go into in Kamurocho than previous entries? I'm probably early in the game though. I just started Chapter 2.

Edit: oh no Mr. Shakedown...

Edit 2: ...glad I just leveled up

hamsjams

I think I beat
Kuze
on hard, but I'm not sure. During the gauntlet section I thought I set it to Normal, but after the boss I noticed that it was set on Hard. Either way I managed to do it without items and found a helpful tactic, especially in his later phase.

If he blocks your attacks, he's almost guaranteed to throw an attack of his own about a second after you stop hitting him. It's very consistent in the timing. What this meant was that if I saw him block, I could stop attacking and dodge about a moment later to have a very high chance of completely avoiding anything he threw out and circling behind him. I didn't even have to wait for him to start the attack animation. Once I knew the timing, similiar to Souls-style dodge roll timing, I could automatically input evade after I stopped attacking and usually end up behind him, free to continue pummeling.

On block - stop attacking - automatically evade after about a second - very high chance of getting his back.

This is my first Yakuza game and it's wonderful. Little harder than I was expecting, though!

The identity of the Bontan Hunter is
RYUJI GODA
!!!

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit!!

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Holy fuck! I just did that sub-story as well. I was jaw dropped after seeing him! That was so cool.

Newcomers to the series will have no idea why this guy is so tough and has two health bars though, haha.

aravuus

Opened the pocket circuit and it looks like I had already gotten a motor from one of the vending machines that raised my car's speed from 10 to 50.

Easy races lol.

e: I take that back, I can't keep my car on the road lmao

Kyrios

The business card book description cracked me up by saying "for some strange reason" Kiryu and Majima can access the same book lol

Opened the pocket circuit and it looks like I had already gotten a motor from one of the vending machines that raised my car's speed from 10 to 50.

Easy races lol.

e: I take that back, I can't keep my car on the road lmao

I was ready to say you're gonna go flying off those turns lmao

JJShadow

My girlfriend just saw those Chestnut the Squirrel dolls in the UFO catcher and felt in love with them, so I let her give a try and catch one. It's been 30 minutes and she won't let me have the controller back lol

GeeTeeCee

Am I right in thinking that you don't get items from beating enemies in this one? (unless you find an event where they're harassing a civilian?). I might actually have to buy my own health drinks for once?

Kyrios

Am I right in thinking that you don't get items from beating enemies in this one? (unless you find an event where they're harassing a civilian?). I might actually have to buy my own health drinks for once?

Seems to be exactly that. Thankfully you get a lot of money in this game compared to the others.

hbkdx12

This Mr. Shakedown mechanic is pretty wonderful.

I got access to majima's slugger style not too long ago and then i just spent like an hr running around beating up random street thugs with my baseball bat because im an asshole...and i love it. I then came across the doll girl and helped her and it was so adorable and then i saw Mr. Shakedown. He had 9 mil on him and i had less then 100K so i figured i didn't have much to lose so i took him on. Kicked his ass and came out with 14 mil. Then went around beat up some more thugs until i saw another Mr. Shakedown with 7 mil and clearly being too big for my britches, i decided to take him on (mind you i didn't save after the last fight, doh!) and i get my ass handed to me and i lost half my money and now im down to 7 mil. Then i went to my house to finish the chapter and advance the story.

I was ready to turn the game off but i remembered i got some new outfits or something that the clown told me i could change at my phone at home but majima doesn't have a phone in his apt so i ended up leaving the apartment and i walk outside and who do i see except Mr. Shakedown proudly walking down the street in broad daylight with 14 million! At first i was nervous and was like let me leave that man alone but see that 14 mil above his head had me hot so i quickly saved and then took him on (on the bridge no less with a huge audience) and whooped his ass and came out with 30 mill.

Today was a good day :)

Gigarator

Thanks, I'm downloading it now so I'll hopefully be in the arcade later. If only it had EnduroRacer, I know it's not a popular game but it was the first arcade game of this type that I played with the full sit down cabinet.

Oh man, EnduroRacer. Never played it in an arcade but I had it for Master System and it was a really fun game. Would love to see a version of it pop up in Yakuza some time.

OK, so I know I can start here but I have some more specific questions.

Is this a Metal Gear Solid 3 esque prequel that relies heavily on references to past games, or is it more stand alone?

And will playing this ruin me if I ever want to go back to the first few games because of gameplay and QoL improvements?

Jachaos

Is this a Metal Gear Solid 3 esque prequel that relies heavily on references to past games, or is it more stand alone?

And will playing this ruin me if I ever want to go back to the first few games?

It's a prequel to the other games, and I hear there might be a few references to future events but as far as the plot goes it's where it all starts.

As for ruining the other games, I've played 4 and 5 and I think someone who loves Yakuza 0 could still very much enjoy Yakuza 4 and 5 (4 is especially great I still feel), but might want to wait on the Yakuza 1 remake coming up this summer for a more direct follow up storywise.

mauaus

Ive been running around on chapter 2, not really doing much just fighting but all of the sudden difficulty spike when i was steamrolling through most of the fights. Sometimes i cant get a punch in and im being rushed by 3 at once

Past

Ive been running around on chapter 2, not really doing much just fighting but all of the sudden difficulty spike when i was steamrolling through most of the fights. Sometimes i cant get a punch in and im being rushed by 3 at once

Did you equip something? I heard there's an item that makes enemies more aggressive.

Algebrah

Is anyone else having delivery issues from Amazon in the US? I ordered it on the 19th and now my delivery date has been pushed back to the 27th.

And will playing this ruin me if I ever want to go back to the first few games because of gameplay and QoL improvements?
Stand alone story. Think of DMC3. There are some minor references here and there in sub-stories but the main story is completely understandable.

The second question is a little tough to answer though. Yakuza 0 is obviously the best Yakuza game to date when it comes to mechanics and stuff so I would be lying if I said that it won't bother you. BUT generally if you get hooked to a Yakuza title you won't have much problem getting into other Yakuza games

Erdrick

I have this held for me to pick up after payday on Friday. Been with this series since it's beginning in North America, English dub and all. Really liking the enthusiasm the new players seem to be having for this. Hope it does well for the series to find a proper footing. I'm ready to revisit some familiar places again... For the first time in this game's case, I suppose. Love this series and it's one of the few that get me hyped like I'm a kid again.

Is it Friday yet?

Loving it so far, the only complaint I have form the initial 4-ish hours are that those weird non animated cut scenes look reeeeealy cheap.

Top Bottom