• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

JJShadow

So the minigame that has been really effective at making me feel terrible at the game so far has been the rush master's boxing matches. I can't even beat the 10k yen drunk dude. I've tried dodging to the side but his moves track with you, I've tried dodging back but he moves too far forward, and I've tried blocking but it triggered kiryu's L1 dodge mechanic for the first hit and I got knocked down by the second. I've had to take a break from it because I kept fucking it up. Is there something I'm missing, or do I just suck at dodging?

The trick lies on dodging to the side in the very last second, just when he starts his attack animation. Try that and also try to establish as much space between you and him as possible, and keep moving in circles

Super early in chapter 1, spoiler tagging I guess
about to go to Toko Credit
and I got the rush style. Where is the guy on the map that said to come by that you learned the rush style from? I remember he said a street, but I can't recall it and there's nothing on the map that indicates it.

He's in a parking spot but I'm pretty sure you cannot talk to him until Chapter 2. Once it's unlocked, look for a white person icon on the map

I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and noticed they give you healing items in the Dojima building fight on normal mode. I didn't see anything like that on hard.

What other differences are there? Do you earn more/less money? I'm early on but I'm already at the point where my upgrades cost 30 million, and I get like 300-500k per street squabble.

Yeah, in Normal mode you can definitely find healing items on the Dojima building, they come in quite handful. It would make sense that they are no longer available on Hard mode, will check it later

I just ran around in a circle around him whenever he went to attack, trying to dodge him would just fail at his ram move eveytime.

make sure you're using X to dodge, hold R1 to face the opponent. dodge when he winds up to attack, it's super easy.

The trick lies on dodging to the side in the very last second, just when he starts his attack animation. Try that and also try to establish as much space between you and him as possible, and keep moving in circles

Alright, thanks for the tips. I probably won't have another chance to dig into Yakuza until this weekend but I'll keep at it. I guess it's better that I'm having this many problems with it clicking at the 10,000 yen level than the 10 million yen level.

Mupod

I just ran around in a circle around him whenever he went to attack, trying to dodge him would just fail at his ram move eveytime.

this. I didn't use the lock on and just free ran in a circle. When using the lock-on and dodging at the last second I kept getting whacked by the invisible hitbox that extends 3 feet behind his fists.

I don't know how well this works on the higher levels of the minigame, though.

aravuus

Majima's substories have been surprisingly heartwarming so far

e: also his version of Mr. Shakedown was much easier. Or maybe it was thanks to the slugger stance, which is just fucking awesome btw

twisteh

Just a quick question. My first Yakuza game, heavily enjoying it, but I do have one query:

I'm loving the substories so don't want to miss any of them - basically, is there any way of getting them to appear on your minimap so at the start of each chapter I don't have to explore the whole town again just looking for new quests or if I've missed any?

JJShadow

finally just started playing this last night. did kiryu kill that guy he stole from in the opening scene?

No.

Just a quick question. My first Yakuza game, heavily enjoying it, but I do have one query:

I'm loving the substories so don't want to miss any of them - basically, is there any way of getting them to appear on your minimap so at the start of each chapter I don't have to explore the whole town again just looking for new quests or if I've missed any?

The only way to get them to appear in the map is by getting a special item later in the game. Also, you have this guide with the locations of all sidestories:

http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/substories.html

Desmond

Okay, that's it. Disco can go fuck itself. Thing gets stupid on Hard difficulty during some of these songs. I can hardly see the size of the prompts and I sure as hell cannot find a beat to follow. The timing is cutting it thin and the dance floor under the the damn screen leads to all kinds of fuck ups.

Screw it, let me go play some Space Harrier. That always makes me feel happy.
I felt that it was easier on the harder difficulties. It matched up to the rhythm more.

No.
Ok good. Kiryu never struck me as a fuckin killer.

Anyways, damn I'm pumped to get into this story, but I gotta get telltale game of thrones out of the way first.

How hard is this game on hard? I kinda wanna just play it there to get the gold trophy in the first go around

Ashtar

I need some help, I didn't realize that the game didn't auto save at all so i had to repeat the first half hour, but i though it was kinda easy and so when i restarted it I put the difficulty to hard and now I can't get past the first boss, I can get him down to half life pretty easy but then he starts interrupting all my attacks and hits me with these massive attacks.
Fucking bullshit I've gotten beaten by him like 20 times last night and this morning.
Apparently you can't switch difficulty on the fly and I don't want to restart a third time.
Edit: reloaded my game to pre boss battle and lowered the difficulty, I ain't got time for all that bull

ZZChao

Neo Member
Wow, there are a LOT of side stories, are these missable if i didnt complete all chapter 2 side stories or does that mean its available from chapter 2?

As far as I know, they are not missable. Once you've started a substory they also add a marker to your map.

aravuus

Fucking bullshit I've gotten beaten by him like 20 times last night and this morning.
Apparently you can't switch difficulty on the fly and I don't want to restart a third time.

You can't? Cause I certainly have the option in the settings menu. I guess you can't be in a battle, though.

You can't? Cause I certainly have the option in the settings menu. I guess you can't be in a battle, though.

Yeah, you can't if you're already in a fight. I ran into the same problem. I beat him eventually, but it took like 20 tries.

My only advice is to keep working on dodging his attacks and getting to him from behind.

I need some help, I didn't realize that the game didn't auto save at all so i had to repeat the first half hour, but i though it was kinda easy and so when i restarted it I put the difficulty to hard and now I can't get past the first boss, I can get him down to half life pretty easy but then he starts interrupting all my attacks and hits me with these massive attacks.
damn, sorry to hear you lost your save data but good that you posted it because i didn't know it didn't autosave either.

where do you have to go to save the game then?

Wait what? Who or how do you get this. I'm a good way through the story and I haven't been given anything.

Its the last
Miracle Johnson
side story. It takes place in Maharaja (Disco Dancing place) with Kiryu. You can't beat him, when offered the choice between the two packages, choose the black one.

I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and noticed they give you healing items in the Dojima building fight on normal mode. I didn't see anything like that on hard.

What other differences are there? Do you earn more/less money? I'm early on but I'm already at the point where my upgrades cost 30 million, and I get like 300-500k per street squabble.

No healing items are available in levels on hard mode, so make sure you buy them before hand. Just keep a supply of food and health drinks on you at all times, also make sure your leveling up your health bar as you go. The first couple of levels can be a bit rough since you have such low health but it gets easier as the game goes on. Other differences are mainly just enemies being more aggressive, you taking more damage, enemies having more health. Otherwise no differences. Mini game difficulty does not change based on the games difficulty, only combat is affected. I don't think there is any difference in money earned either.

Tizoc

Don't worry you can get to completing them before the final events of any chapter. You'll know this because the character will comment that they may go into a big fight. That's your que to do some more Sub stories if you want.

derFeef

Don't worry you can get to completing them before the final events of any chapter. You'll know this because the character will comment that they may go into a big fight. That's your que to do some more Sub stories if you want.

Ohh, so I guess I missed some :(
That happens pretty early on, but I did not encounter any sub content?

MYeager

this. I didn't use the lock on and just free ran in a circle. When using the lock-on and dodging at the last second I kept getting whacked by the invisible hitbox that extends 3 feet behind his fists.

I don't know how well this works on the higher levels of the minigame, though.

Poorly from third tier on

I absolutely love this disco dancing minigame. I thought Haruka's dance battles were great, but this feels even better to me. The added risk reward of trying to travel extra spaces on the board while still making it to the right square on time really changes the whole thing, and I love trying to work out which real '80s song the in-game songs are based off. I got Michael Jackson's Beat It and David Bowie's Let's Dance, but I couldn't work out the other three.

I just wish there were more songs, because I ended up staying in there until I danced my way to three stars on every song on every difficulty in one sitting :p

Mupod

No healing items are available in levels on hard mode, so make sure you buy them before hand. Just keep a supply of food and health drinks on you at all times, also make sure your leveling up your health bar as you go. The first couple of levels can be a bit rough since you have such low health but it gets easier as the game goes on. Other differences are mainly just enemies being more aggressive, you taking more damage, enemies having more health. Otherwise no differences. Mini game difficulty does not change based on the games difficulty, only combat is affected. I don't think there is any difference in money earned either.

Makes sense. I just picked hard without thinking and it took me...a very long time to beat the first boss. I had more trouble with him than Muneshige in the Nioh demo, lol. But I eventually beat his ass quite soundly. Feel free to point out anything I'm obviously doing wrong based on that video.

I had 0 healing items and no experience with combat in this series, but I learned my lesson. I don't see myself getting in that situation again and I certainly got a lot of practice. It's funny how easy the regular combat encounters are in comparison.

Buying all the health upgrades is something I did as soon as I could. I like all of the styles so far and switch between them a lot, early on I was just sticking to Rush style.

Ragona

jesus, how long is this game? I just reached chapter 3 after 9 hours and i've read the game got 17 chapters? I was under the impression Yakuza games are 20-30 hour games.

Venfayth

I just made a thread about how much I like this game as a newcomer to the series, but I need to go into more detail here about the story.

Chapter 3-4 spoilers:
Holy shit, that fucking scene in the massage therapists office. I don't think I've ever loved a story sequence so much. The entire main storyline from the start of chapter 3 to the end of chapter 4, sans maybe the mission where you poach from the other nightclub, could be straight out of a movie. I think normally I would have hated the stealth sequence, but I was too busy thinking about wtf just happened.

AHHH.

JJShadow

jesus, how long is this game? I just reached chapter 3 after 9 hours and i've read the game got 17 chapters? I was under the impression Yakuza games are 20-30 hour games.

20-30 hours if you only focus on the story, 40-50 if you want to do some sidequests and minigames and 100+ hours for 100%

MaxiLive

I just made a thread about how much I like this game as a newcomer to the series, but I need to go into more detail here about the story.

Chapter 3-4 spoilers:
Holy shit, that fucking scene in the massage therapists office. I don't think I've ever loved a story sequence so much. The entire main storyline from the start of chapter 3 to the end of chapter 4, sans maybe the mission where you poach from the other nightclub, could be straight out of a movie. I think normally I would have hated the stealth sequence, but I was too busy thinking about wtf just happened.

AHHH.

I'm in exactly the same boat,
the massage therapist story line and where it goes to I just can't wait to get back to it!!!! I don't think I've been so animated as a gamer in a long while, sitting there stunned YOU WHAT?!

Just finished chapter 5 last night and this game keeps on giving, it has it fairly slow moments and very drawn out conversations that could of been summed up in 3 sentences. But most of the scenes have been fantastic and the slower approach works really well to build tension or give a tonnnnnn of personality to each character, there has been 2 or so cutscenes that were tiring and hard to follow though.

Rymuth

Gotta say, it's really weird not hearing Kiryu utter his iconic catchphrase.

Every time he winds up for a battle, I shout "Oh, stop blue-balling me, game!"

Sgblues

when do you unlock the
hostess club
management and
phone calls
?

Well
hostess club management comes in chap 7, you'll get introduced to it so can't miss it
and
phone calls are available for Kiryu after he changes his clothes to the white suit, the building is over on Senryo avenue.

The only difference I see is that the term has been coined by the Japanese themselves. Still, classifying facial features as "typical" or "atypical" for a nation is weird racial theorizing imo so I would also refrain from using those terms when speaking Japanese.

Just want to step I here and clarify that this soy sauce/sauce thing isn't racial. Japanese lesson time.

In the Japanese language, there is this concept of having a "thin" or "thick" "flavored" face. A thin face is one where you have no stand out facial characteristics. A thick face is one where you have very striking facial features. For example, both Kiryu and Majima have thick faces. A lot of the NPCs on the other hand, have very thin faces.

Soy Sauce is thin flavored. So if you have a "soy sauce face", it means you have a thin face.
Sauce (like what they have on katsudon or takoyaki) is thick flavored, so a "Sauce Face" is a thick face.

Peroroncino

I'm mainly using Rush combat and I noticed it has way less heat moves... like waaaaaay less. I like the faster combat but I kinda miss the cool moves. Any specific reason why Brawler has tons of them?

Rush would be too OP imo with more heat moves, but still, the ones that are there are amazing, with this one being my favorite, straight up SAVAGE.

btw. Shooreh pippi everybody! :D

mike6467

I apparently have 20 hours of story left in Yakuza 5, my playtime currently stands at 120 hours. Minigames/side stories are as much of a timesink as you let them be.

20-30 hours of that is probably idling, but for a good part of last year, 5 was a comfort game for me when I was working absurd hours and travelling a fair amount. I'd come home and just screw around for 2-3 hours a night, maybe advancing the story a few times a week.

With that said I burned out hard on that, and stopped playing it in Julyish. I was thinking I'd beat it before 0 came out, but decided I might just be inviting more burnout. So here I am again, just started chapter 4 after like 9 hours. Hoping to not do the same thing, but I just started getting into Shogi and that seems like a horrible timesink on its own.

Mupod

I have no idea how long this will be, but I planned to have this as my side game along RE7 and Nioh. If it takes me as long to beat every boss as the first one I'll be playing for 200 hours, heh.

Top Bottom