• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

i was pleasantly surprised to see that 2 player options were right there in the main menu. i thought this was gonna be like san andreas where i would have to go and find local multiplayer options in the game itself

also what is the online mode? is it also the minigames?

ZZChao

Neo Member
Just want to step I here and clarify that this soy sauce/sauce thing isn't racial.

Well, in many places you find shoyu face defined as: 一番日本人らしい顔 (face that seems the most Japanese).
Maybe the origin of the term is not racial but I think it is used in a racial way.
(Sorry, if none of this makes sense; English isn't my first language, obviously...)

Anyways, the game is great and I'm really digging the localization.

I do feel the brawler style is the best one out of the three. It's not as slow as Beast, it's more powerful then Rush and it has more finishers then it as well.
Yeah Brawler is the sweet spot for me too. Doesn't hurt that the moves are what kiryu has been using for the past few games. I feel right at home with it.XD

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Where do i meet the sexy ladies so i can watch a mucky video?

It tells me i neex to meet one first before i can watch one.

muteki

Finished Chapter 1. Thank goodness there was some health items sprinkled around or I would have been toast. Went out and immediately bought a ton of my own for the next time.

If I had any criticism so far its that the dodge action in Rush seems to have a bit of delay, and I haven't figured out what defensive options I have in Brawl, maybe I just haven't bought them yet.

Finished Chapter 1. Thank goodness there was some health items sprinkled around or I would have been toast. Went out and immediately bought a ton of my own for the next time.

If I had any criticism so far its that the dodge action in Rush seems to have a bit of delay, and I haven't figured out what defensive options I have in Brawl, maybe I just haven't bought them yet.

Brawl is less defensive and more aggressive. You dont want to dodge too much since you have only one dodge slide so far. If you're a brawler you'll want to counter hit when you are attcked by pressing square, X or Circle immediately.

Also..a lot of people dont seem to do this, but remember that you can grapple enemies for a quick heat action chance. You dont have to wait until your enemy is knocked down....this also works on your first boss fight on hard difficulty...but you dont want to spam it or youll be countered

This was typed using a cell phone so sorry for the lack of punctuations and proper grammatical structure.

hbkdx12

I haven't even gotten my third style as majima yet and i've spent the last few hours grinding out mr shakedown kills and now i have all my available upgrades bought and im sitting on over 700 mill.

I feel like a boss. I love this slugger style :)

Desmond

I absolutely love this disco dancing minigame. I thought Haruka's dance battles were great, but this feels even better to me. The added risk reward of trying to travel extra spaces on the board while still making it to the right square on time really changes the whole thing, and I love trying to work out which real '80s song the in-game songs are based off. I got Michael Jackson's Beat It and David Bowie's Let's Dance, but I couldn't work out the other three.

I just wish there were more songs, because I ended up staying in there until I danced my way to three stars on every song on every difficulty in one sitting :p

I'm fairly certain Queen of the Passion is based off Bananarama's Venus. Koi no Disco Queen (No idea what the name is in the English release) is based off this banger by Yoko Oginome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6_Cpw0K_LM

Ah, I've found several of those, I'll go back and see then. Thanks.
You get videos by completing certain sub stories (normally the one's where the girls are modelled, i.e. not some generic model. Some can be gotten easily by simply buying drinks at the nightclubs and filling your affection meter with the Conbini girl (in the case of Kiryu's portion).

Finished the Japanese release a while ago, so if anyone has any questions shoot them my way. Subscribing.

I'm having a super rough time with substory involving
protecting a guy walking across a bridge.
Like I can't seem to beat it.

Well this is what I get for making a post on gaf while playing, I walked into Mr Shakedown...

I honestly sometimes wish the actor who plays Kiryu spoke english and voiced Audiobooks cause then I'd have the perfect voice to narrate to me.

convo

I just whopped Mr.Shakedown for 90 million yen with beast style blocking and an inventory of healing items, take that asshole! But man he still did like 80% per hit when he's powered up but my cheesing was worth it.

Out of curiosity for those who have finished this game to 100%;

does the cross dresser race happen in this game?

A simple yes or no will suffice. Don't spoil too much.

Ultimadrago

I just whopped Mr.Shakedown for 90 million yen with beast style blocking and an inventory of healing items, take that asshole! But man he still did like 80% per hit when he's powered up but my cheesing was worth it.

Wow, was any of that your money or was he just holding that on him? Whenever I spot them, they only have a measly 6 mil or something.

Ahh man, Majima's doll girl substory is so cute

e: "bye, daddy" oh god this is too much
One of the best side quests in any game. Ever.

I'm having a super rough time with substory involving
protecting a guy walking across a bridge.
Like I can't seem to beat it.

Well this is what I get for making a post on gaf while playing, I walked into Mr Shakedown...
Use Breakdancing style.
That took me quite a few tries since I don't have the Breaker style yet. Managed to somehow do it with Slugger. The reward was worth it.

Desmond

Wow, was any of that your money or was he just holding that on him? Whenever I spot them, they only have a measly 6 mil or something.

You can get a power up from that Afro Clown that makes them carry around more money. This coupled with the Encounter Radar item makes for a menacing combo. The most effective way is that beat him, then purposely lose afterwards. When he takes your money his own goes up. You then rinse and repeat.

Out of curiosity for those who have finished this game to 100%;

does the cross dresser race happen in this game?

A simple yes or no will suffice. Don't spoil too much.

I'd only completed about 75% of the collectables/objectives etc when I stopped playing and I have no idea what you're talking about. hahaha

Rymuth

Kakatte Koi?
The full catchphrase is "Tekagenwa shinee. Shinitee yatsudake, kakattekoi!" which basically means 'I don't hold back, so for those of you who wanna die....come at me!"

So far, he keeps saying 'Ikuzee' or 'Let's do this!' - I hope the moment comes when he says that phrase. I just know it's going to be epic. :3

Jachaos

Why does-
A) That 'chime' noise sometimes happen when your walking about?
B) The controller rumble at various places?

There's a chime when you close in on the obejctive marker for your next mission (it plays when the marker is close enough that you see it on your minimap)

Ultimadrago

You can get power up from that Afro Clown that makes them carry around more money. This coupled with the Encounter Radar item makes for a menacing combo. The most effective way is that beat him, then purposely lose afterwards. When he takes your money his own goes up. You then rinse and repeat.

Ooh, I'll keep that in mind! Do you know if Kiryu gets the Encounter Radar? If so, how?

1upsuper

Are all first print copies of Yakuza 0 from Amazon the Business Edition? I really want to pick this up to get into the series but I don't want to miss out on the special edition.

Desmond

Ooh, I'll keep that in mind! Do you know if Kiryu gets the Encounter Radar? If so, how?

Finish Substory 23. You are given a choice of two boxes at the end. Choose the black box.

This Substory is available during Chapter 2. However you need to finish Substory 12 first to unlock 23.

calder

Hah thank god for Suspend/Resume, I had no idea there wasn't an autosave in the game until I finished chapter 1 and it asked me if I wanted to save. It looked like the first and only save file so I googled it and now know you have to manually save at payphones.

Stuart444

Beast was a god send for me in Kiwami so I've been using that type the most once I got it unlocked.

Doing a lot better with rush now as well though. Sucked with that before but it's fun to use

The full catchphrase is "Tekagenwa shinee. Shinitee yatsudake, kakattekoi!" which basically means 'I don't hold back, so for those of you who wanna die....come at me!"

So far, he keeps saying 'Ikuzee' or 'Let's do this!' - I hope the moment comes when he says that phrase. I just know it's going to be epic. :3

Wow, I had no idea. I just had the last bit with kakattekoi memorized since he says it so much, it just stucks in your head.

Now, I'm looking forward to that as well :)

In a previous Yakuza 0 thread, someone talked about a way to farm money for the platinum , something like losing a fight against Mr Shakedown and kill him back ?

Majmun

The last Yakuza game I've played was the original back during the Ps2 days. I really loved it but somehow lost track of the franchise.

Yakuza 0 seems like the perfect game to start new with the franchise. The positive word of mouth and reviews made me buy this today. Can't wait to start playing this!

In a previous Yakuza 0 thread, someone talked about a way to farm money for the platinum , something like losing a fight against Mr Shakedown and kill him back ?
It was Shadow, one of our Yakuza experts.
6 is still well worth playing, its going to be one of those Yakuza 3/5 situations where its viewed as a bad Yakuza game by some, but its still actually a really solid game in most respects (though I really can't wait to see the reactions in the future Yakuza 6 thread about two key plot points late in the game). I just hope that IF a Yakuza game is announced this year at TGS and it uses the new engine, they really highlight the combat and mini games more so than in past games just to show what stuff is being reintroduced, to alleviate any fears fans have over it being short on certain content like 6 was.

As for platinuming 0, its a bit of a grind in places, to give you an idea:

You need to 100% the completion list of the game, which requires you to clear all side missions, mini games, hit specific goals in both Majima's and Kiryu's Another Drama segments and other misc. tasks. This will probably take most people 100+ hours, most goals are fairly attainable but some just take a bit of time. Stuff like Mah Jong require you get certain hands in order to complete goals, which may be tricky for people. I think 0 also got rid of cheat items (need someone to confirm that) so that makes some gambling games harder/longer to clear.

You need to completely level up both characters, and this takes a lot of money. Basically you want to really hammer Kiryu's money island side content as much as you can plus abuse a certain "cheat" with the big dudes that wander the map to earn a ton of money quickly (basically it involves unlocking certain stats for Kiryu in the CP Shrine where you get tons of extra money from winning fights, pulling off heat moves etc. then losing to the dudes that steal money from you a few times in a row, then challenging them again and using lots of heat moves when defeating them. You'll get a ton of cash which can then be used for levelling up and money island. Oh, and then you can transfer money to Majima to help him to, as you can't use the same exploit for him.

Now for the one darn trophy that makes a platinum not worth doing for anyone that isn't mad. Cat Fighting, 10 tournament wins.
Cat Fighting is a mini game that requires you to pick a girl, bet money on her, then select from "Rock, Paper or Scissors" as fights go on in order to defeat the AI.
Problem 1 - The AI quite frankly cheats, or at least it feels like it, feels like it reads your inputs.
Problem 2 - You have to win 3 battles in a row to win 1 tournament, and its all down to luck. So good luck with that.
Problem 3 - You have to mash the buttons insanely hard to try and win struggles against the AI (again, these feel rigged) so you could be winning, then in one fell swoop see your lead disappear...

No word of a lie, I gave up trying to do any kind of strategy after a while and just had the PS4 pad in one hand, and my iPad in the other as I read Gaf and hammered the circle button, randomly picking attacks and I ended up with a decent win rate. So my advice is unless you really love the game, don't go after this trophy, its just not worth it. It makes grinding the arena in 5 feel like time well spent in comparison!

Desmond

I mentioned it earlier. You unlock the power up from Bob (the Clown) which gives them more money. You then alternate between losing and winning a each time the amount of money multiplies. Use the Encounter Radar to easily track his movements. The quickest way is to repeatedly use Heat Actions with a knife or sword.

Edit: Never mind, answered a lot better above.

I have had one question regarding one of the misc objectives for ages. I'll have to fire up my JPN release and check. I had wanted to get the platinum trophy but stopped at around 75%.

Top Bottom