• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

convo

Wow, was any of that your money or was he just holding that on him? Whenever I spot them, they only have a measly 6 mil or something.

I was shocked myself,it was the first shakedown guy who came back from the montain he bought with my money and yes he bought a mountain with my money to train in solitude.As the other poster said i also spent the cp so they carry more money.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Where can I get sweet potato shochu? The place on the front (Don Quijote and Poppo) is only selling barley shochu

Quick question for the vets of the series out there. This is my first Yakuza game and I'm loving it - but I want to make sure I understand the pacing of events. I really, really want to see where the story progresses (I'm wandering the city in Chapter 2 atm), but I don't want to miss out on side quests or activities.

Are these things time-gated? If I rush through the story missions a little, do I miss out on side quests or are they always available once you are beyond their unlock point?

I know a lot of the greatness of the series comes from side events & batting cages etc etc (and I'm loving that stuff too), but I really really want to know where Kiryu's story goes! Will I miss out if try to just advance the story farther before getting diverted?

Also what the hell do I do with the items I get from the claw machine? I have nearly all the ones I've seen so far lol

Desmond

Quick question for the vets of the series out there. This is my first Yakuza game and I'm loving it - but I want to make sure I understand the pacing of events. I really, really want to see where the story progresses (I'm wandering the city in Chapter 2 atm), but I don't want to miss out on side quests or activities.

Are these things time-gated? If I rush through the story missions a little, do I miss out on side quests or are they always available once you are beyond their unlock point?

I know a lot of the greatness of the series comes from side events & batting cages etc etc (and I'm loving that stuff too), but I really really want to know where Kiryu's story goes! Will I miss out if try to just advance the story farther before getting diverted?

Also what the hell do I do with the items I get from the claw machine? I have nearly all the ones I've seen so far lol

They're always available.

Menitta

Ok this made me laugh.

5dcc88c1ef.png

Was loving this game.

Now at first boss fight, honeymoon is over. Chipping away at an oversized energy bar is not a fun time. Am I missing something? Surely I must be?

Out of curiosity for those who have finished this game to 100%;

does the cross dresser race happen in this game?

A simple yes or no will suffice. Don't spoil too much.

Nope, don't recall anything like that happening in 0. Then again, chases have thankfully been dropped after Ishin (which ironically did chases far better than the rest of the series up to this point). 6 has a couple of entertaining "chases" though not in the style of 3-5.

gfxtwin

Thinking about buying this, always wanted to try a Yakuza game and looks like a good place to start. But I can;t figure out what the core gameplay is suposed to be? Is it a beat-em-up? Is it a quirky exploration game like Shenmue with more fighting? Does it have an open world feel like GTA or several city blocks packed with things to see and do like Deus Ex: MD? What do you spend most of the time doing in the game?

Jachaos

Was loving this game.

Now at first boss fight, honeymoon is over. Chipping away at an oversized energy bar is not a fun time. Am I missing something? Surely I must be?

The first boss fight was kind of a drag for me too compared to other bosses in the series. More limited moveset early on than what you usually get in other games, and it has more health than early bosses in other games too, and this boss didn't force me to vary much, at least on Normal. What difficulty are you on?

Thinking about buying this, always wanted to try a Yakuza game and looks like a good place to start. But I can;t figure out what the core gameplay is suposed to be? Is it a beat-em-up? Is it a quirky exploration game like Shenmue with more fighting? Does it have an open world feel like GTA or several city blocks packed with things to see and do like Deus Ex: MD? What do you spend most of the time doing in the game?

The city is condensed, it is several city blocks packed with places to go into (activities, shops, etc).

It is a beat em up for a vast portion of it, but there's several other parts to the gameplay too. Also, it is an exploration game. Wandering around the city will get you involved in many sub stories that are quirky, funny, touching and fun.

It is a beat-em-up. You beat people up CONSTANTLY.

There is an open world which you explore fully on foot. Getting from one corner of the map to another on foot would take like 1-2 minutes at the most. It's not particularly large but it is very dense and is brimming with character.

There are 2 protagonists and each are in a separate city. So 2 different places.

You follow the main story, then just ignore the main quest line, wander off and play classic 80's games in the arcade, then play pool, then do karaoke, then play bowling, then get involved in wacky sidequests that occur on the street or in specific situations. There's a LOT of side activities and minigames.

Try watching a review on youtube to get a decent idea.

The first boss fight was kind of a drag for me too compared to other bosses in the series. More limited moveset early on than what you usually get in other games, and it has more health than early bosses in other games too, and this boss didn't force me to vary much, at least on Normal. What difficulty are you on?

Normal. First time player.

I just took him down, but it took me a few goes (and my thumb now hates me).

gfxtwin

It is a beat-em-up. You beat people up CONSTANTLY.

There is an open world which you explore fully on foot. Getting from one corner of the map to another on foot would take like 1-2 minutes at the most. It's not particularly large but it is very dense and is brimming with character.

There are 2 protagonists and each are in a separate city. So 2 different places.

You follow the main story, then just ignore the main quest line, wander off and play classic 80's games in the arcade, then play pool, then do karaoke, then play bowling, then get involved in wacky sidequests that occur on the street or in specific situations. There's a LOT of side activities and minigames.

Try watching a review on youtube to get a decent idea.

Thanks for the reply.

When you explore the environment does it feel similar to exploring in Shenmue IYO? I heard this game was heavily inspired by Shenmue.

Also, how is the game structured? Missions? If so, is every mission a beat-em-up mission?

Fjordson

Definitely not like GTA, you don't drive.

I would put the city size and traversal much closer to Deus Ex. It's not a whole city, just a highly detailed chunk of it. It's sort of like a beat'em up I guess, though there's more variety and depth to the combat than most in that genre. You'll fight a lot in the main story missions and run into some tough boss battles, but the side quests can be a wide variety of things. Definitely fighting in those as well, but there are also a lot of quests that don't involve any fights. More just helping people with some problem through dialogue or retrieving an item for them. The sidequests are maybe my favourite thing about Yakuza tbh. Some are genuinely heartfelt and emotional, some are genuinely funny and some are just completely bizarre. It's a good variety.

There's also a long list of minigames. Slot car racing, batting cages, pool, bowling, darts, gambling, dancing, arcade games (actual Sega arcade games that you can play like Outrun or Space Harrier), etc.

I'd say it's closer to Shenmue than GTA on that spectrum, but it's different from both.

Normal. First time player.

I just took him down, but it took me a few goes (and my thumb now hates me).

I had a similar issue (also a first time player) with the first boss until I realized the game expects, or at least allows, you to have an entire inventory filled with crazy cheap full heal items. It actually makes things a little too trivial honestly, though maybe that changes later.

My second go into that building I had I think 20 healing items which cost a measly 34,000 yen or thereabouts

They're always available.

Thanks!

I need some help, I didn't realize that the game didn't auto save at all so i had to repeat the first half hour, but i though it was kinda easy and so when i restarted it I put the difficulty to hard and now I can't get past the first boss, I can get him down to half life pretty easy but then he starts interrupting all my attacks and hits me with these massive attacks.

My tactic on the first boss was to use Rush mode. Run in and do a combo, then immediately evade after the last hit. He'll start his own combo, be sure to wait until after his stun kick is done, and repeat. It's a bit tedious, but it's much safer. Once he starts blocking more and interrupting, I switched to Brawler style. Evade as much as possible, get in some hits but don't get greedy.

I had a similar issue (also a first time player) with the first boss until I realized the game expects, or at least allows, you to have an entire inventory filled with crazy cheap full heal items. It actually makes things a little too trivial honestly, though maybe that changes later.

My second go into that building I had I think 20 healing items which cost a measly 34,000 yen or thereabouts

I hadn't even found a shop to buy the items - I don't think the game had let me off the main path yet! Learned the hard way though. At first chance i'll be stocking up on the magic health bottles...

I hadn't even found a shop to buy the items - I don't think the game had let me off the main path yet! Learned the hard way though. At first chance i'll be stocking up on the magic health bottles...

There's a medicine shop directly across the street from the building where you fight the first boss, sadly no one points that out - I just happened to read it on here

Desmond

My tactic on the first boss was to use Rush mode. Run in and do a combo, then immediately evade after the last hit. He'll start his own combo, be sure to wait until after his stun kick is done, and repeat. It's a bit tedious, but it's much safer. Once he starts blocking more and interrupting, I switched to Brawler style. Evade as much as possible, get in some hits but don't get greedy.

You're meant to make use of all styles, combos, heat actions, EVERYTHING. It's fascinating to watch people do these fights on the higher difficulties. You can tell they know the mechanics back-to-front.

When you explore the environment does it feel similar to exploring in Shenmue IYO? I've heard this game was heavily inspired by Shenmue.
Haven't played Shenmue so I can't say. This game wasn't really inspired by Shenmue THAT much, at least I don't see it. The series was clearly designed to be a beat em up (the series creator has a long history with beat em ups) with a dark and grueling story involving the criminal underground.

Let me describe a typical situation:

"I just finished a quest line and am outside a bar. I'm told to go to an office of an associate to advance the quest line.

I choose to divert and go off to the local bar with karaoke. On my way there, I get stopped by some goons. I beat the living shit out of them. I keep moving but see a guy who's interacting with a dominatrix at an S&M club. The dominatrix seems to be incredibly polite and the guy wants to like her but she is a shit dominatrix. She gets sad and I start talking to her. Eventually some dudes show up to pick on me and the dominatrix. I beat the living shit out of them. The dominatrix is impressed and asks you to help her improve her "dominatraxing". I do that. The guy comes back and sees a remarkable improvement. I completed that sidequest.

I just spent 5 mintues with that sidequest and then carry on to the bar. I do karaoke. I leave and suddenly get the hankering to play Outrun. I go to the local arcade and play Outrun for 20 minutes.

I leave and think, ehh I should advance the main story. I then proceed to the place I'm supposed to go and witness a cutscene and some dialogue which progresses the story and find myself in a situation where I have to beat the shit out of people with awesome music playing in the background.

Repeat until 100's of hours have been spent, and keep replacing the side activities with different side activities" and you know how a Yakuza game usually goes.

it's awesome to see so many yakuza 0 thread today. really glad people are buying the game and finding out how awesome this series is =)

thank you Atlus for the extra step in translation for the small things.

and thanks YakuzaGAF for being so accessible to everyone's comments and questions.

The first boss is very epic if you use Rush and have the ability to duck between your attacks. The general strategy is to dodge behind him and wear him down with fast jabs and punches.

It's a really fun boss once it clicks for you.

The first boss is very epic if you use Rush and have the ability to duck between your attacks. The general strategy is to dodge behind him and wear him down with fast jabs and punches.

It's a really fun boss once it clicks.

This, it felt soo satisfying beating the "boxer" at his own game lol.

You're meant to make use of all styles, combos, heat actions, EVERYTHING. It's fascinating to watch people do these fights on the higher difficulties. You can tell they know the mechanics back-to-front.

Yeah, I got that impression. I like that the style changes are on the d-pad, easy to switch, and you're not going to switch on accident; that's how Nioh's stance changes should have been. Although I wish the lock-on was a toggle, generally the controller layout is really good.

I also wanted to mention again that this game actually uses the Touch Pad like a touch pad! The map can be scrolled with it, and even zoomed with a pinch gesture!

I just spent 5 mintues with that sidequest and then carry on to the bar. I do karaoke. I leave and suddenly get the hankering to play Outrun. I go to the local arcade and play Outrun for 20 minutes.

I leave and think, ehh I should advance the main story.

I think that's what I was asking you last night... it sounds like most of the time you'll have to just ignore the demands of the narrative and do something else. Like in FF when you say "nah I'm not going to go defeat Sephiroth right now, I think I'll farm some chocobos." It feels harder in this game because I'm getting really wrapped up in the story, so it's weird to break the dramatic tone and say, "Eh, my vengeance can wait. Time for some disco."

I think that's what I was asking you last night... it sounds like most of the time you'll have to just ignore the demands of the narrative and do something else. Like in FF when you say "nah I'm not going to go defeat Sephiroth right now, I think I'll farm some chocobos." It feels harder in this game because I'm getting really wrapped up in the story, so it's weird to break the dramatic tone and say, "Eh, my vengeance can wait. Time for some disco."
Of course one doesn't HAVE to do that but it's pretty clear that the game's progression was designed around that or at least doing as much side stuff as one can handle. There's always Premium Adventure mode and New Game Plus mode if you just want the chance to muck about without caring about the story.

xezuru

I feel like I blacked out and I when I realized what happened Im in Chapter 9... Ahhh Yakuza is back baby, best it has ever been.

Hiltz

I finally tracked down a copy of Yakuza 0! I won't be able to play it until tonight after work, but I'm looking forward to it thanks to the overall good reviews and GAF hands-on impressions. Like several others here, this will be my first Yakuza experience too.

SCB3

Hmm, should I buy this? Never played Yakuza before and this is a starting point to the series....

But I just bought RE7, ME:A, Nioh and Halo Wars 2......But I did cancel my Switch Pre-order....

Hmm, should I buy this? Never played Yakuza before and this is a starting point to the series....

But I just bought RE7, ME:A, Nioh and Halo Wars 2......But I did cancel my Switch Pre-order....
If you like good games then I don't see why you shouldn't.

RiverKwai

To me, figuring out the drunk guy in the parking lot was harder than the first boss. I had three healing items in inventory, and only had to use one of them after the gauntlet on the way to his office. Beat his ass using brawler. He hit me like three times. Had plenty of health left. (I petty much always use brawler)

Guy in the parking lot took 250k of my money 10k at a time.

The narrative does have times where there's no urgent drama propelling to the next story beat (like "guess I'd better go back to my apartment eventually"), so there are times where side activities feel natural.

The narrative does have times where there's no urgent drama propelling to the next story beat (like "guess I'd better go back to my apartment eventually"), so there are times where side activities feel natural.

Heh, I chose to go back to my apartment, but that comes down to me not knowing the mechanics. I wasn't sure whether Kiryu's stamina was affected by sleep and whatnot.

Fjordson

Man I hate that I can't find Mr. Shakedown! Lmao, I'm just running around until I find him right now. I need that 99 million!

Also feel like I get hungry every time I play this lol. Craving some some sushi right now.

Mupod

I've posted a video of my fight with the first boss on hard mode a couple times already. It took many tries but I beat him entirely using Brawler mode. I had no healing items and was too stubborn to restart.

I had few/no unlocks for either style so I was running with the default movesets. My problem with Rush style was that I'd run down my heat meter with dodges too fast, he'd sometimes break out of my combos, and Brawler felt like it built meter far faster. I couldn't get in a lot of attacks with either style so it was just a matter of making my hits count while playing it safe enough that he wouldn't counter me. Towards the end I finished him off with grab moves, combined with heat attacks they do incredible damage but you can only expect to get around 3 off before he starts countering them.

Menitta

Man I hate that I can't find Mr. Shakedown! Lmao, I'm just running around until I find him right now. I need that 99 million!

Also feel like I get hungry every time I play this lol. Craving some some sushi right now.

Lmao same to both. I got ruined after the Mr. Shakedown "tutorial" and now I can't find him!

Also when this game came out, I went to the grocery store and bought a bunch of ramen and canned coffee.

Top Bottom