• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

This game is absolutely amazing. Gone are the days where I can put in a long stint playing but today found myself going through 5 hours in a single sitting with Yakuza. It's probably my game so far of this generation (maybe just behind bloodborne). As others have mentioned the localisation is absolutely spot on compared to other titles coming over from Japan and it's great in this game they didn't mess with the voice actors. Wouldn't be be same otherwise. 10/10 for me.

Mazre

This pizza delivery music is way too epic.

Edit: Man that got weird, even by Yakuza standards. Like why was the delivery guy even there at the end? Was he stalking me?

SephLuis

So I'm struggling a bit with this game, folks. As background, I had similar issues with Yakuza 3, fiddled with Yakuza 2 on PS2, and haven't tried any others. I bought this one because of substantial reviews and the lack of need for background.

- It feels.. very budget. The cutscene visuals look like what I would expect from a ps4 game (or a late Ps3 game) but the in game visuals are a bit off putting, particularly in off-street environments (ie when you're in office buildings etc).
- It feels really clunky. The save system, the fighting mechanics, the loading screens, the seemingly random decision as to whether to voice a cutscene or not... it all just seems really unpolished.
- the fighting system seems shallow
- the initial few hours are pretty dry. I'm assuming it picks up - I'm at the part where
Kiryu is considering whether to ally himself with the shady real estate company and is looking for information.

Are these common concerns when getting accustomed to the series? I really want to like it - and in many ways I do, given its pretty enormous charm - but I'm not sure I want to play a game for charm alone. Should I push forward?

- Visuals: Yakuza 0 is a cross gen game. Yakuza 6 is the first PS4 only title and I think it's beautiful.

-Clunky: Common aspects of the series, which started on the PS2. So there's save points, loadings in battles, etc.

- Fighting: It gets better. It's one thing that Yakuza does very well. In Y0, in particular, a lot of the systems are locked in the beginning. It doesn't overwhelm new players with mechanics (which used to happen in Y5 for example), but it does makes thing monotone if you just keep going through the main story without upgrading.

-You're still at the beginning. Too early to tell if the game is or isn't for you

JJShadow

Well, just tried Pocket Racing for the very first time. There goes my time in this game

Breaker has some really nice moves. I think it just clicked with me.

Yeah, I like it a lot, it's amazing for crowd control. My only complaint is that you cannot perform heat moves whilst in Breaker style, right? Or am I missing something?

Holy fuck this club and disco mini game is legendary.

Does the map show you were all the sub stories start or do you have to find them all? How many are there?

Also what is this music that's playing in the background of the club when you aren't discoing?

So I'm struggling a bit with this game, folks. As background, I had similar issues with Yakuza 3, fiddled with Yakuza 2 on PS2, and haven't tried any others. I bought this one because of substantial reviews and the lack of need for background.

- It feels.. very budget. The cutscene visuals look like what I would expect from a ps4 game (or a late Ps3 game) but the in game visuals are a bit off putting, particularly in off-street environments (ie when you're in office buildings etc).
- It feels really clunky. The save system, the fighting mechanics, the loading screens, the seemingly random decision as to whether to voice a cutscene or not... it all just seems really unpolished.
- the initial few hours are pretty dry. I'm assuming it picks up - I'm at the part where
Kiryu is considering whether to ally himself with the shady real estate company and is looking for information.

Are these common concerns when getting accustomed to the series? I really want to like it - and in many ways I do, given its pretty enormous charm - but I'm not sure I want to play a game for charm alone. Should I push forward?
Honestly, I'm not sure what you're looking for. If those things bother you that much then yeah the game probably isn't for you. It's a ps3 game that slightly cleaned up and ported to PS4 so yeah if you want full PS4 power then you'll need to wait for Yakuza 6 which is PS4 only.

I don't understand the clunkiness of save points out they voicing the majority of in game plot parts (I wouldn't necessarily call them cutscenes) when most games don't bother at all with that. So to call that unpolished when they go above and beyond what many games do.... I'm not following that logic.

Holy fuck this club and disco mini game is legendary.

Does the map show you were all the sub stories start or do you have to find them all? How many are there?

Also what is this music that's playing in the background of the club when you aren't discoing?
I believe you have to discover but once you do you don't have to do then right then. Instead they should show up as ! on your map until you complete them.

Pompadour

So can you not do Heat attacks (aside from stomping) with the Rush style? I love fast boxing fighting styles with evasive weaving but it feels pretty boring without all the crazy Heat attacks.

I can't talk about budget or chunkiness of the game since I've been playing Yakuza for years and can't say that I've been bothered by them. But regarding your last two points:

- The fighting system seems shallow, but it's not. it takes a little while for you to unlock more moves and styles but after that the combat is actually very fun and has a nice depth. Just this past few hours I've been running around messing with combat and switching styles mid combos (you'll get an accessory for that) and stuff like that and I find it to be tremendously fun.

- Yes, the story will pick-up.

I think you should watch Angry Joe's review. Since he was a newcomer as well, I think you'll find his opinion interesting. (and at first he felt pretty similar to how you are feeling about the game right now)

Menitta

Well, just tried Pocket Racing for the very first time. There goes my time in this game

Yeah, I like it a lot, it's amazing for crowd control. My only complaint is that you cannot perform heat moves whilst in Breaker style, right? Or am I missing something?

There are a few good heat moves you can unlock later on, but you can't do a standard heat move when an enemy is on the ground. It's like the opposite of Slugger where you can just do a heat move while they're standing there.

gfxtwin

Will Kiwami be modernizing the story from the original at all? As good as the story in 0 is, I gotta wonder how it'll be in the first game, which was originally out for the PS2...

And the Sega blue skies. Kiryu even looks like a Sega character, a bit like Ryo from Shenmue. Which is a bit weird because so many of the characters in this game look like real people, but then Kiryu (and to an extent Majima) still looks like a videogame character.

He also reminds me a bit of Akira from VF5, with the stylized determined/pissed expression, ha.

Mazre

So can you not do Heat attacks (aside from stomping) with the Rush style? I love fast boxing fighting styles with evasive weaving but it feels pretty boring without all the crazy Heat attacks.

There's one for dizzied opponents and at least one you can unlock for when you're back is against a wall as well.

The villains/antagonists in this game are so, so good. Seriously some of the absolute best in the series so far. I'm more immersed in the cutscenes here than I have been for a long time, the story is definitely a one up on the more recent Yakuza games like Dead Souls, 3, 4 and 5 (not finished that one yet, but it wasn't grabbing me like this one is). 0 has got that grit that has been missing from the series for a long time, imo (1 and 2 are the best storywise for me, still). Music continues being awesome too.

Think I've gotten more obsessed with the substories here than I have with the other more recent entries too, they're all damned good, hilarious and really fun to do. Put in a 5 hour playtime non-stop, just completely immersed, doing a shed load of the substories, playing games in the arcade, learning new fighting moves, grinding for cash, doing all of the side activities (arcade, disco, car circuit racing etc) and slowly progressing through the main story. GOTY is going to be so hard for me.

MYeager

That the engine showing it's age. This was a 2015 cross platform game with the PS3, and there's still animations and other things from the PS2 games which seem to be 'if it ain't broke...' category. I suppose I don't notice these as much because I've been playing them for years and it's just part of the game for me, but it could be off putting for someone playing a 2017 game that reuses assests from prior titles going back a ways.

In the beginning yes. It's no DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but the melee system is pretty deep and certainly still stands far above the popular 'wait for an enemy to attack and hit counter' melee systems many games go with now. As you go there's more styles to unlock, moves to learn, training to do, etc. You really get the feel for how deep it is with boss fights or with powerful enemy encounters.

Pacing of Yakuza games are slow builds that turn into intricate criminal soap operas.

Up to you, but those are common things in the game, you'll get more moves and stuff but the basic combat isn't going to radically change. If you're playing it for charm alone and dislike the rest of it you may want to just check out youtube videos of it to get that stuff. Personally I think it's fantastic but it's a niche game and not everyone is going to enjoy it.

hbkdx12

Once you start speccing into that beast mode....

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgflip.com/1481ja.jpg[/IMG]

When i first got this i thought it was the worst fight style. It was so slow and clunky but now? Holy shit, It's easily my favorite for kiryu

It's amazing to pick a fight with a drunk guy, get into a resist stance and have him punch you til your heat rises and then break his arms and throw him over your head. :)

This game man...

Holy shit, the Bontan hunter is f'in'
Ryuji
!?! I saw posts about the Bontan hunter here and there so I knew it was someone from the series but I didn't expect him....as a punk kid nonetheless! It was a great fight......and now I need that Kiwami 2 please Sega!

JJShadow

There are a few good heat moves you can unlock later on, but you can't do a standard heat move when an enemy is on the ground. It's like the opposite of Slugger where you can just do a heat move while they're standing there.

Thanks! I'll try to unlock them asap, love this style

What do I do when a business area is in trouble? I only know the district it's in, I'm just wandering around trying to find something to do to solve it. Also how is the UI for the real estate stuff so terrible? You get a tiny map you can't zoom in on, you can't see purchaseable properties on the map, it's completely unusable. Having to collect your earnings every 5 minutes is super tedious too. This really should have been a lot better.

Do you guys recommend starting this game up on hard mode?
Knowing you, definitely.

Just keep in mind it takes a while for combat to open-up. Imagine what you have at the beginning to the DMC equivalent of playing it with only a few handful of stuff like Combo A of Rebellion, Stinger and High Time.

The combat offers a lot more later on, including an accessory that let's you switch in-between styles mid-attack.

Menitta

Thanks! I'll try to unlock them asap, love this style

Definitely do some of the training. You can learn Essence of Friendly Fire. Just stand between two enemies (w/o pressing R1) and press Triangle when one attacks.

Training is on the lower left of Sotenbori.

Knowing you, definitely.

Just keep in mind it takes a while for combat to open-up. Imagine what you have at the beginning to the DMC equivalent of playing it with only a few handful of stuff like Combo A of Rebellion, Stinger and High Time.

The combat offers a lot more later on, including an accessory that let's you switch in-between styles mid-attack.

I need to know where this is!

I can't understand how to do the Mr Libido, Kamurocho friendship.

He keeps moving around. I keep finding him and talking to him and nothing happens

I can't understand how to do the Mr Libido, Kamurocho friendship.

He keeps moving around. I keep finding him and talking to him and nothing happens

Watch those uncomfortable stupid pointless needless erotic videos.

15 unique ones to fully complete that friendship. Good thing is you can skip the video and it'll still count, and videos watched by the other protagonist count as well.

HOLY SHIT. The end of chapter 6 blew me away. This game is now a solid 10/10 for me. Phenomenal voice acting btw and I don't even understand japanese.
What a fantastic story with amazing characters. I have no words, really.

This game.....

MYeager

I need to know where this is!

I believe it's a CP reward, it's how I got it.

What do I do when a business area is in trouble?

On the map there will be a red circle with an X through it where you need to go and beat up some guys to continue collecting.

Once you start speccing into that beast mode....
When i first got this i thought it was the worst fight style. It was so slow and clunky but now? Holy shit, It's easily my favorite for kiryu

It's amazing to pick a fight with a drunk guy, get into a resist stance and have him punch you til your heat rises and then break his arms and throw him over your head. :)

This game man...

It's worth noting that for Kiryu there are moves in the square combos, such as in the Beast one, where you can hold down the square button to charge a stronger attack.

Have to say after reaching chapter 7, this game has added a lot more emotion and gravity to Yakuza kiwami. Won't talk about due to possible spoilers but actually have more interest in characters that were one note in Yakuza 1.

Just unlocked Goro's 4th style and it's amazing. Also for all of you talking about the cliff hanger at the end of chapter 4 wait till the end of chapter 8 that one got me.

Hastati

Is there a trick to getting the beast mode training at the port done? I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to make any money at all. Do I just need to put a ton of money into the skill tree first to be able to do enough damage?

Top Bottom