• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

last Yakuza i played was 4, which was amazing

i played 7 hours of Yakuza 0 so far, it's awesome but i can't tell the difference between it and 4, it's like it hasn't evolved much, it feels like a ps3 game

what does evolve mean? Less game play and what? It's still a hell of a lot better than most games today imo

Aki-at

Oh poo. :( Well, I can't expect everyone to be recurring. Thanks!

I absolutely loved her character too, but since I've followed the series I knew we'd never see her again (Along with a bunch of other characters)

Hopefully if Kiwami 2 happens it tries to fit in some of these newer characters in, one thing I always loved about the Yakuza series is how their substories/NPCs actually continue in future games, think this guy is just really good at dodging? Bam his brother is here in the sequel to challenge you!

SephLuis

People should start writing more about each chapter, it's tough remembering with just a number =P

And I cannot wait when you guys get to some parts of the game.

So I've spent more time at the Disco and Pocket Car Racing than any story missions today.

This fucking game lol. I love the Japanese humor of this and fuck, this is such a good game. Call me a Yakuza fanboy.

I know it's only January but right now, Yakuza 0 is #1 for me.

We'll see how it all shakes out but damn, this game is fun...and addicting.

I've played all day out of a few break periods.

Edit: I'd love a Yakuza support tag on my DanVin avatar as well.

Still on chapter 6. I've just spent the entire day playing Out Run, unlocking Hang-On, Real Estate, losing all my money doing cat fights...

So far 40 hours well spent.

Menitta

I miss revelations.

giphy.gif

MYeager

Question about beginning of Chapter 9:
Where do I hide?

Edit: Another question. These money battles in real estate. I keep losing them. Do I actually need to go out and fight?

Money battles? You mean where you get the alarm and the managers health bar goes down? You press X to spend cash to give them more life, just press X a couple times and you're good.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
On what seems to be the last Pocker Car Racer substory and it is absolute nails, like bastard rock hard

Substory 43 - This is where you have to defeat Pocket Car Fighter in a race and despite using the recommended setup on KHH subs I just can't do it, like even get past the first jump. I can never stabilise the car properly. I mean I get the race is supposed to be rock hard but fuck me lol

Holy crap, Beast stance is SO SLOW.

Beast stance is so underrated, you can really fuck shit up with that.

Been absolutely loving the game so far. The music for Majima's thug combat style is so good.

Maybe I just haven't been encountering them enough, but to me it felt like Y4 and 5 had a lot more environmental heat actions available during random battles.

Rizzi

On what seems to be the last Pocker Car Racer substory and it is absolute nails, like bastard rock hard

Substory 43 - This is where you have to defeat Pocket Car Fighter in a race and despite using the recommended setup on KHH subs I just can't do it, like even get past the first jump. I can never stabilise the car properly. I mean I get the race is supposed to be rock hard but fuck me lol

I don't want to get hit though. :x

mrmyhthef

Holy crap, Beast stance is SO SLOW.

Beast style singlehandedly takes the balance of the game and snaps it over its knee like a piece of plywood. It is nonsensically broken. I didn't like it at first either but once I started upgrading it I began to realise how much free shit you get with that style. Health, damage, heat just fucking take all of it. It does have one weakness though: enemies who can't be grabbed. But that's like 3 opponents in the arena, everyone else can be cheesed effortlessly.

Btw that's my tip if you plan to complete the arena. Do it with Kiryu since he's way more OP than Majima, at least in 1v1 situations.

These are really helpful, thanks a lot guys/gals - particularly with respect to the advice re: the fighting system and the story. I'll definitely stick with it - I always had the sense I gave up on Yakuza 3 too early.

This just comes off as a little defensive. If you can't understand what's clunky about save points that have to separately save the game data and the system data, or "story" scenes that switch midway from voiced to text, then you probably are a little too close to the series to see it's quirks/flaws.

Also, this "slightly cleaned up PS3 game" was released simultaneously in Japan on PS3 and PS4 on full price on both consoles, so not really unreasonable to expect the PS4 version to be dedicated. And finally - only the PS4 version is available outside Japan so again - not unreasonable to have expectations that a full priced game look like it's from the current generation.

I'm happy to give the game another chance, but please see the quoted posts above if you're going to keep doling out advice, for this or any other game, other than "it's not for you."

Lol, I'm not too close; I just don't give a shit if you play another one again or not. Most your post expanded on nothing and was just passive aggressive insults so like I said, play a different series if you're this upset after one chapter in the game. There's no benefit to any of us whether you play Yakuza or not.

And I mean you're comparing this niche to big budget titles. There's legitimate complaints against the games and I've criticized it before but again, they're mechanics found in all the games. If said mechanics are as upsetting as your long post saying what a bad game it is suggests then you won't enjoy them, it's not an opinion at that point just a fact of what the game mechanics are.

I just realized where the Empty Lot is and what it means in respect to the other games.
That was the first thing that I checked on map and yep, no wonder it's so important.

I mean the ones I keep losing freaking property to! I don't know how I'm supposed to fucking prevent that!
Do your manager have enough health/stars? If not then change them. You have to constantly change them after a few turns so they don't get fatigued of doing one job over and over again. If your manager has enough stars then it's possible that you are not pouring enough money into battles. Hold/press cross during the battle so your manager don't lose their health/stars.

Menitta

Money battles? You mean where you get the alarm and the managers health bar goes down? You press X to spend cash to give them more life, just press X a couple times and you're good.

I mean the ones I keep losing freaking property to! I don't know how I'm supposed to fucking prevent that!

Menitta

That was the first thing that I checked on map and yep, no wonder it's so important.

Do your manager have enough health/stars? If not then change them. You have to constantly change them after a few turns so they don't get fatigued of doing one job over and over again. If your manager has enough stars then it's possible that you are not pouring enough money into battles. Hold/press cross during the battle so your manager don't lose their health/stars.

Where is this "Pressing X" thing? I have no idea what happens when i lose property. All I know is that when I go to collect, I see LEISURE KING MONEY BATTLE and FAILURE and then I lose a shitload of control

Edit: And I'm sorry if I'm coming off rude, I'm just frustrated.

Where is this "Pressing X" thing? I have no idea what happens when i lose property. All I know is that when I go to collect, I see LEISURE KING MONEY BATTLE and FAILURE and then I lose a shitload of control.
When the money battle begins if your manager had enough health/stars the game shows a bar (manager's health) which depletes and you have to prevent that by throwing money into the manager by pressing/holding cross.

If you are not seeing this bar at all and only getting a failure, then most likely your manager has ran out of health. Changing your manager should do the trick.

Edit: Nah, it's cool :)

Frimaire

Where is this "Pressing X" thing? I have no idea what happens when i lose property. All I know is that when I go to collect, I see LEISURE KING MONEY BATTLE and FAILURE and then I lose a shitload of control

Edit: And I'm sorry if I'm coming off rude, I'm just frustrated.

???
You press X a few times when that happens to regen the manager's stars...

Menitta

When the money battle begins if your manager had enough health/stars the game shows a bar (manager's health) which depletes and you have to prevent that by throwing money into the manager by pressing/holding cross.

If you are not seeing this bar at all and only getting a failure, then most likely your manager has ran out of health. Changing your manager should do the trick.

Edit: Nah, it's cool :)

Oooooh ok. I thought it was a physical battle that I actually had to fight and I just wasn't seeing it. Thanks.

Can I complete substories in later chapters? I've been running the gauntlet of Chapter 2 substories to get my contents worth but I'm curious if they'll still be there in the next Kiryu chapter?

I've enjoyed what I've played so far. Just don't wanna miss any opportunities.

Can I complete substories in later chapters? I've been running the gauntlet of Chapter 2 substories to get my contents worth but I'm curious if they'll still be there in the next Kiryu chapter?

I've enjoyed what I've played so far. Just don't wanna miss any opportunities.
You can complete them in later chapters as well as after finishing the game in the premium adventure mode. You won't miss out on any sub-story so don't worry about that.

ch4fx_

My first sub-story..

"
I've made up my mind, I've already decided. I'm spending the rest of my life with your panties. Forever...
"

Was not expecting that shit.

Edit - & thank you for the Yakuza badge!

If I may, what sort of improvement did you expect? I'm honestly curious, cause as I've said they've already added tons of new moves and even introduced the style systems in this game.

rJw4NmCTQ.png
You are a kind soul. Thank you so much! Been around since the start, so it feels good to finally show off my support!

Mupod

so I've been on Hard since the start and just when I started thinking I was hot shit, all the regular mooks have been put into hyper aggressive overdrive. Majima doesn't care because he has OP weapons with infinite durability but I just switched back to Kiryu (chapter 5) and I'm struggling. I lose tons of hp in regular encounters because there's no way to get in and do damage. Any suggestions on styles/abilities to pick up?

This is a good video game.

People really need to learn to reupload images somewhere reliable before posting them. Your image doesn't show.

so I've been on Hard since the start and just when I started thinking I was hot shit, all the regular mooks have been put into hyper aggressive overdrive. Majima doesn't care because he has OP weapons with infinite durability but I just switched back to Kiryu (chapter 5) and I'm struggling. I lose tons of hp in regular encounters because there's no way to get in and do damage. Any suggestions on styles/abilities to pick up?

Did you equip the Charismatic Autobiography? That item pretty much puts the game in super-special hard mode, as long as you're having it equipped.

Top Bottom