• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Just fished chapter 4, this game has been great so far. Love slugger stance so much.

Also I have no idea how to play out run lol. Going to try and do some more side stories. Is there a better way to locate them?

047LM4Yl.jpg

This is a good video game.

Mupod

People really need to learn to reupload images somewhere reliable before posting them. Your image doesn't show.

Did you equip the Charismatic Autobiography? That item pretty much puts the game in super-special hard mode, as long as you're having it equipped.

...LOL

I totally did, it had slightly higher stats than the other crap I had on me. I thought there was just a weird difficulty spike. I've been playing like this for a while now.

I figured something was up considering that I was practically having less trouble beating the shit out of Mr Shakedown.

Yeah I was gonna ask about that. Looking at the guide, it seems like some of these girls are modeled after like legit japanese models which is interesting to say the least.

I'm not sure if the first game already did that but it's been a thing since the second game. Usually they just appeared as hostess girls though and not as legit substory characters like they do in this game, see Ayu Sakurai as the now infamous Dominatrix for example.

alt27

If anyone is having trouble with strikes to get nugget (I was )

Use the green 12 ball , 4 steps to the left , aim outside of right pin and full spin left . Took me about 5 mins after that . Well worth it , nugget is an excellent finance manager

daevious

Do you guys think this is one of the best video game stories ever? It has to be up there

It's the best video game Soap Opera story, that's for sure. (I'm not just talking about 0 here, this applies to the plotline connecting all the mainline games).

how is the platinum this one? Ill set the bar for yakuza 3 being the most difficult.

Way easier than Yakuza 3, this one takes more time than skill to be honest. Most of it can be done just by playing the mini games a few times and a bit of grinding here and there, just make sure by the time you've finished your Legend difficulty playthrough you grab all the chapter specific trophies (those are the only ones that are missable). Only grindy stuff for me was:

Making money to unlock all style upgrades - you'll more likely be short of money with Majima since Kiryu can earn more money from Shakedown battles and his real estate stuff. But you unlock the ability to send money to Osaka at one point so just max out Kiryu and then keep earning money as him and sending it to Majima, it actually shouldn't take too long.

The weapon blue prints with Majima. Its just a matter of getting all the blue prints and not making all the weapons. So just send you best men to whichever location has the items you need and then go beat up Mr Shakedown, by the time you are done your guy should be back with whatever items he's acquired. Rinse and repeat until you are done. Make sure to start this off early, it sucks grinding it late in the game!

And the cat fighting trophy... The worst thing in the series trophy wise in my opinion. It just sucks as its completely by luck. Get 10 tournament wins (each tourney is 3 consecutive fights). Just choose the best girl stats wise (usually the blonde girl with glasses if I remember correctly) and just pick random attacks and hammer the cheer button whenever you land attacks to power them up.

I should send these to EZA lol

That's some impressive stuff! I always stopped after 4-5 hits, and just repeated that a few times to clear the batting cage stuff. I didn't trust myself to not screw up at some point and lose all that precious money!

Do you guys think this is one of the best video game stories ever? It has to be up there

Its up there, then again its the characters that make the story for me. Even with lesser titles in the series story wise (3, 5 and parts of 6) I still love the stories thanks to how charismatic the characters are. I guess 0 is great because it focuses on Majima quite a bit, and getting to see a different side of him at that. Two things that the series does well to me is: building up suspense with those cliffhangers at the end of chapters (always makes me want to play more) and the way they really get you hyped for boss battles in the games (especially toward the end of the game, the finale for 0 especially does this incredibly).

That's some impressive stuff! I always stopped after 4-5 hits, and just repeated that a few times to clear the batting cage stuff. I didn't trust myself to not screw up at some point and lose all that precious money!
Thanks. Batting center has always been one of my favorite mini-games in the series so I guess I've gotten pretty good at it :)

Thanks. Batting center has always been one of my favorite mini-games in the series so I guess I've gotten pretty good at it :)

So like me and Mah Jong (kinda) then! I loved the batting cage stuff in 6, mainly because they changed it to be more in line with Shinada's stuff from 5. I managed to perfect the EX Hard course after much trying, saved a video only to find it didn't record any of the mini game at all... thanks Sony!

I still need to go back to 3 and try the batting cage in that game again, I always wanted to try and do the hard courses on that game (where they removed the targeting reticule) to see if I could finally do it.

Yu Narukami

Ok GAF you convinced me. I'll buy this but after I finish Nioh. I usually like Japanese games but thought this wasn't for me. We'll see if I enjoy it.

Gacha-pin

Some tips for the new players (iirc, the tips I posting here are not explained well in 0. Hit me with the traffic corn if they are).

When you do an additional attack to the downed enemy while you are in the heat state, sometimes you might want to do a normal attack instead of a heat attack, you can do a normal by holding L2 and then press △.

When you are grabbing an enemy, you can switch the side (the front side of the enemy/the back side of the enemy) by pressing L1.

These moves are not special but could add some flavors to your street fights. And also, they are very helpful if you want to complete the heat move list.

Karu

Played my first hour yesterday - first game I play in the franchise - and it was immediately gripping. I'm just hopeful I will be able to play the game in a way that doesn't botch the pacing. Sometimes it is really hard to tell at what point I will burn out on a game, so having a nice balance between the main missions and side activities will be important. (Gunning for a good 40 Hours)

DarkStream

I'm 45 hours in, Chapter 10.
I was thinking about the rest of the games in the franchise.
Should I play Y1, should I wait for the remake, or just watch the cut scenes on Youtube? Any opinions?

This is my first Yakuza game. I've always been too scared to dive in, since they always seemed loaded with back story...

SO GLAD I DID.

This game is awesome. I really wish I'd been playing this series since the beginning. Luckily the remake of the first is coming out later this year, but man - I wish they were all getting remakes. I don't know if I can get myself to go back to the PS2/3.

luulubuu

I'm 45 hours in, Chapter 10.
I was thinking about the rest of the games in the franchise.
Should I play Y1, should I wait for the remake, or just watch the cut scenes on Youtube? Any opinions?

Kiwami (which is a remake of the first one) is out in a few months! Please wait

If you want to play some more Yakuza, try some of the spin offs

Yakuza: ISHIN
Yakuza-Ishin-21-02-14-002.gif

There are a lot of english walktroughs guides for this game

Yakuza: Dead Souls

2413424108a0202.jpg

This one is like the "Halloween special" episode of Yakuza, non canon and full of monsters, it has been translated to english.

There are also two games for the PSP called "Yakuza: Black Panther" with fan translations to english, worth to check them out
Yakuza-Black-Panther-2-e1327122274413.jpg

I'm stuck on these phones cards. Last one I need are in the tiny alley and to get in, Kiryu keep saying " no need to go there for now " and the last one are in the top of the map, the huge grey area that will become the bum park in later episodes...

I guess they are story related ?

Also, I need one more video to watch to finish M. Libido quest but I don't know how to unlock them

I'm stuck on these phones cards. Last one I need are in the tiny alley and to get in, Kiryu keep saying " no need to go there for now " and the last one are in the top of the map, the huge grey area that will become the bum park in later episodes...

I guess they are story related ?

Also, I need one more video to watch to finish M. Libido quest but I don't know how to unlock them

With regards to the vacant lot, you'll go back there later as part of the story. Likewise, you'll go to the future site of Purgatory at some point in Kiryu's story so its just a matter of completing more story chapters until those areas become available.

One thing that annoys me about the bars is that you can't just sit and chill like when Kiryu and his brother were hanging out in Ch. 1. They spend all this effort creating the bars and the vibe, but when you order a drink he gulps it down, and two seconds later you're done. I'd like to just sit there, maybe have some conversations with NPCs, listen to some jazz music. They had an opportunity to bring in some of that '80s Murakami jazz bar vibe and kinda missed it. I'm also surprised there don't seem to be any geisha in the Osaka town, though maybe they only are found in the historic area?

Also, why are there some arcade machines you can't play (the sit-down ones)? Were these games that didn't get localized? They still have Japanese text on the screens.

DarkStream

Kiwami (which is a remake of the first one) is out in a few months! Please wait

-SNIP-

Thanks for the solid advice! I will finish 0, lots of things to do still.
I will then wait for the Remake since I think it's a good idea to take a break.
Also, Nier and Nioh coming up, I realized :)

Also, why are there some arcade machines you can't play (the sit-down ones)? Were these games that didn't get localized? They still have Japanese text on the screens.

Merely to fill out space, nothing was cut in this game bar the intro and ending songs. And if you want real pain in terms of unplayable arcade games, just play the original release of Yakuza. The batting cages had Spikeout and arcades had Virtua Fighter 4/5? arcade games that were unplayable.

luulubuu

Thanks for the solid advice! I will finish 0, lots of things to do still.
I will then wait for the Remake since I think it's a good idea to take a break.
Also, Nier and Nioh coming up, I realized :)

Aaaaa! It's nothing, Yakuza is a big franchise and a bit messy to get into, but yeah, finish it and take a break for a while, in one year from now you will get Yakuza 6 which is something else

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_3x10vm4f9jc4kg4g8kgkgo08o_640.gif

Also, don't forget Persona 5 ! less than 3 months to go

Vorheez

One thing that annoys me about the bars is that you can't just sit and chill like when Kiryu and his brother were hanging out in Ch. 1. They spend all this effort creating the bars and the vibe, but when you order a drink he gulps it down, and two seconds later you're done. I'd like to just sit there, maybe have some conversations with NPCs, listen to some jazz music. They had an opportunity to bring in some of that '80s Murakami jazz bar vibe and kinda missed it.
Haha I was just having the same thoughts... Missed opportunity

Rymuth

One thing that annoys me about the bars is that you can't just sit and chill like when Kiryu and his brother were hanging out in Ch. 1. They spend all this effort creating the bars and the vibe, but when you order a drink he gulps it down, and two seconds later you're done. I'd like to just sit there, maybe have some conversations with NPCs, listen to some jazz music. They had an opportunity to bring in some of that '80s Murakami jazz bar vibe and kinda missed it. I'm also surprised there don't seem to be any geisha in the Osaka town, though maybe they only are found in the historic area?
Kiryu knows he needs that booze to power up his attack. He can't let it settle and pass through his system.

Move it or lose it, as the saying goes.

Rizzi

Ah, the classic dilemma. I could continue the story, or I could spend four hours running around town playing UFO Catchers, trying to get a good score in the batting cage, and doing sub stories.

Tunahead

Some tips for the new players (iirc, the tips I posting here are not explained well in 0. Hit me with the traffic corn if they are).

When you do an additional attack to the downed enemy while you are in the heat state, sometimes you might want to do a normal attack instead of a heat attack, you can do a normal by holding L2 and then press △.

When you are grabbing an enemy, you can switch the side (the front side of the enemy/the back side of the enemy) by pressing L1.

These moves are not special but could add some flavors to your street fights. And also, they are very helpful if you want to complete the heat move list.

I've been playing the series since Yakuza 3 and never knew either of these.

Gonna get a lot of mileage out of the grapple switch!

xezuru

Tips on getting strikes at bowling ?

Usually I start on the far left just because it's easiest for me with the heaviest ball, I try to hit between 1/0 with a smidge deeper contact on 0 pin. From the far left starting point, throwing directly parallel with the gutter has been the most consistent for me when adding two? (Sorry been a while) sections of right spin to hit that forementioned point but you could go straight if you have the direct arrow, but spacing is kind of tight.

Pick the biggest/second biggest ball and aim for the dead center with full speed.

Got the turkey challenge, did a ten-frame match and got nothing. Tried one more time and got 5 strikes in a row. It's weird sometimes.

It just doesnt work. Far pins never get down... I have better results throwing the 10 pounds ball for extrem right or left, curing it into center for some reasons

Dez_

I put Mr Shakesdowns kids through college tonight. Fuck that guy.

Yeah, that guy has been totally wrecking me up, from the few encounters I had with him. I found that the thrift store down south of Kamurocho (I totally forgot the name of it, despite playing all of these games over the years) sells a wallet that reduces the amount of money that gets grabbed from you.

I'm gonna get that guy for sure next time. I have half of my inventory filled with health drinks. I got him down to half health last time, I'll totally knock him out next time.

Gotta admit, playing this game on the hard difficulty and I'm really enjoying it, mostly because I feel like I do need to pay a little bit more attention to the combat, which in general has been super easy with these games. That plus the different combat styles have been really refreshing to see in this series.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Come on man...googling gave me nothing so now I feel superstupid...

How do I use equipped weapons? Had a shotgun equipped, now a bat but haven't been able to understand how this system works.

How do I use equipped weapons? Had a shotgun equipped, now a bat but haven't been able to understand how this system works.

Equip a weapon in the menu first, then in a battle press down on the d pad to pull the weapon out.

JJShadow

Press down on the D-Pad while fighting to use your equipped weapons. For guns, press triangle to shoot and square to hit with them

EDIT: beaten so hard lol

Been posted 3 times already but fuck it.

Press down on the D-pad while in combat to whip it out.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Thanks guys, no idea why this wasn't mentioned in the notebook/help section when virtually everything else is :p, was thinking I might've missed that part of a tutorial.

i'm loving 0 at the moment, how is the remake of yakuza 1 in terms of gameplay features etc., does it feel like a step back or did it build on or at least contain equivalent mechanics from 0?

i'm loving 0 at the moment, how is the remake of yakuza 1 in terms of gameplay features etc., does it feel like a step back or did it build on or at least contain equivalent mechanics from 0?

Same battle system as 0. Carries over some of the minigames but improved.

Arcade is apparently a stepback sadly. But there are hostesses again. And some new stuff that wasn't in the original, story related.

Feels just as good to play as 0 apparently.

Top Bottom