• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Same battle system as 0. Carries over some of the minigames but improved.

Arcade is apparently a stepback sadly. But there are hostesses again. And some new stuff that wasn't in the original, story related.

Feels just as good to play as 0 apparently.
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_3x10vm4f9jc4kg4g8kgkgo08o_640.gif

How do you throw stuff at enemies?

Pick up an item by pressing Circle, and throw it by pressing Circle.

Though you can't throw the weapons you've equipped in your inventory (at least I don't think).

And if you grab the salt shaker, it is required (by me) for you to first do the heat move with it before tossing it at the enemy.

The pocket car is confusing me. I completed the first two races fine but now in the third race my racer is really slow and immediately starts getting unstable at the first corner. I haven't exceeded the build limit for the race and even took my car back to the set up from the last race I won but nothing's changed.

The pocket car is confusing me. I completed the first two races fine but now in the third race my racer is really slow and immediately starts getting unstable at the first corner. I haven't exceeded the build limit for the race and even took my car back to the set up from the last race I won but nothing's changed.
I looked up a guide for that stuff because each course seems to want you to use very specific parts

Frimaire

Fuuuck, the Media King is real...

You can't just use the same set up for every race, you need to customize according to the track.
For example, if there's a tonne of tight corners, you need to improve cornering so you don't fly off the track.
I don't remember exactly what the third track is, but it might be the first one with grassy terrain, which you need spiked wheels for.
If you're flying off the corners change your car's frame and maybe lower it's speed a bit.
Be sure to buy the most up-to-date parts from the parts store, as well.

Ah okay, thank you very much. Guess I was just unlucky so far.

Keep in mind certain fish/turtles only appear at certain times of day. I think 0 has 3 periods of time - daytime, dusk and night time so if your not having any luck catching something at one point in time, move on with the story until the time of day changes then try again. Also, its worth getting the best fighting rod (which I think is available to buy from the pawn shop).

Fjordson

How far into the story does Majima unlock the breaker style?

Also, I'm getting really lucky with Mr. Shakedowns. Have taken down two as Majima in the first chapter for over 200 million.

SCB3

I wonder if this and Kiwami (1 Remake) sell well enough, they will remake 2-5 on PS4 (4 & 5 are on PS3 already so bringing them over wouldn't be a big issue) cause I don't really wanna go from my first in the series (Zero) to 1 remake to 6, I'd rather play through them in order without going back to 2 generations of console

alt27

I wonder if this and Kiwami (1 Remake) sell well enough, they will remake 2-5 on PS4 (4 & 5 are on PS3 already so bringing them over wouldn't be a big issue) cause I don't really wanna go from my first in the series (Zero) to 1 remake to 6, I'd rather play through them in order without going back to 2 generations of console

You won't see any remakes in my opinion if it sells well here .

6 is confirmed as Kiryus last.

Might as well start over with new characters to entice the west given PS4 sales numbers in japan

Floody

It's what I'm hoping they do, really wanna play the entire mainline series, but don't want to pay the price for 2 or go back to the PS3. Wouldn't even mind if they were a quick port job for 3, 4 and 5, they could justify it with a collection (something like The Master Chief Collection) just bump up the resolution and FPS and give 2 a remake. I'll probably just watch a lengthy recap video though, as I doubt they would release before 6, if they plan to anyway.

Whoa, I'd never played Fantasy Zone before but this game is incredible???
3 is on PS3 as well. 3-5 don't really need remakes at all tbh. They still look and play fine. If they ported them to PS4 that'd be cool, but they don't really need to do anything to them

2 is the only game that needs to be remade

SCB3

You won't see any remakes in my opinion if it sells well here .

6 is confirmed as Kiryus last.

Might as well start over with new characters to entice the west given PS4 sales numbers in japan

Well if not remakes then re-releases at least, 3, 4 ,5 & 6 are in the west already, 3, 4 & 5 are on ps3 and 6 is coming to PS4, up scaling them and re releasing them for PS4 in a collection could be a great way to bring fans in for 6 and future installments

2 however was a limted PS2 release and tbh I've never seen a UK version of it at all, I know 1 was released here, but 2....

Well if not remakes then re-releases at least, 3, 4 ,5 & 6 are in the west already, 3, 4 & 5 are on ps3 and 6 is coming to PS4, up scaling them and re releasing them for PS4 in a collection could be a great way to bring fans in for 6 and future installments

2 however was a limted PS2 release and tbh I've never seen a UK version of it at all, I know 1 was released here, but 2....

2 got a UK release, I own it! (old outdated picture of my UK collection):
photo%204_zpsqwwfzims.jpg

And yeah, up ports to the PS4 for 3-5 would be good just to have them running at a better frame rate/resolution. 2 does need a straight up remake like Kiwami though to have it running on the newer engine and not the old PS2 engine.

Peroroncino

Anyone know where to get brass knuckle type weapons? Since I play Rush 90% of the time might as well give em a try.

Dragon and Tiger store is proably the fastest way, after you go back to playing as Kiryu go to the alley where you fought 2 drunks at the beginning of the game (when you were with Nishki before going to karaoke), a scene will prompt and you'll have access to DaT's Kamurocho branch.

btw. BONTAN HUNTER! Just discovered his identity, shiiiit.

alt27

My last post was meant for you sorry !

Rather they work on a new yakuza game series , without numbers in title , and build on western fans given PS4s poor Japanese sales .

I would rather they work on yakuza 7 ( not numbered or titled that way ) to entice a new breed of fans in .

Next gen only of course
Did you mean to respond to my post lol? EDIT: Ahh ok.

Cause while you certainly have a point, this is something that the Yakuza team has done before.

After Yakuza 2, they did Kenzan (First PS3 only Yakuza) before 3.

After Yakuza 4, they did Dead Souls before 5.

After 5, they did Ishin (which is the first PS3+PS4 title)

After 0, they did Kiwami.

Yakuza 6 (PS4 only, new engine) marks the first time they made a game purely for the new gen without there being a tie-in or spin-off game, and the quality kinda showed. There were a lot of things that were present in previous Yakuza games that weren't in 6. Not that 6 is an incomplete package but some more time could have made it even better.

So if they did do a remake of 2 in the engine of Y6, that would allow them to reuse assets to make the next game even better. Asset reuse is the hallmark of Yakuza, and it would make sense to release a remake of 2 both long term and short term.

And let's be honest, who doesn't want to see the story of Y2 play out in the amazing new engine that they have.
Seriously that oba-san wants in the Cabaret Club action?! lol!
You say that now.

She's probably gonna end up being one of your best earners.

alt27

Cause while you certainly have a point, this is something that the Yakuza team has done before.

After Yakuza 2, they did Kenzan before 3.

Yakuza 6 marks the first time they made a game purely for the new gen without there being a tie-in or spin-off game, and the quality kinda showed. There were a lot of things that were present in previous Yakuza games that weren't in 6. Not that 6 is an incomplete package but some more time could have made it even better.

So if they did do a remake of 2 in the engine of Y6, that would allow them to reuse assets to make the next game even better. Asset reuse is the hallmark of Yakuza, and it would make sense to release a remake of 2 both long term and short term.

And let's be honest, who doesn't want to see the story of Y2 play out in the amazing new engine that they have.

If they do a 2 remake on new engine then it's all great , as it follows on from 0 and Kiwami.

Just wanna see the 6 engine on new games and I know 6 won't sell that well just from the number alone .

Harmen

After Yakuza 2, they did Kenzan before 3.

Yakuza 6 marks the first time they made a game purely for the new gen without there being a tie-in or spin-off game, and the quality kinda showed. There were a lot of things that were present in previous Yakuza games that weren't in 6. Not that 6 is an incomplete package but some more time could have made it even better.

Just from looking at Yakuza 6 and knowing the absolute gem that is Yakuza 2, a Y2 remake in that engine could be one of the best games of the generation.

I'm gonna be honest, I never finished Yakuza 4 and 5, my interest in both games faded as soon as the first character switch happened. I can see that this is not going to be the case here, the opening of chapter 3 alone is awesome and it helps that Majima is a very fun character, unlike Saejima in 4 and 5.

If they do a 2 remake on new engine then it's all great , as it follows on from 0 and Kiwami.

Just wanna see the 6 engine on new games and I know 6 won't sell that well just from the number alone .
Visually, the games look good enough that it's fairly easy to market.

The combat looks really visceral and it's just easy to show off the game and make entertaining as fuck trailers. Plus you can bet your behind that all us fans on GAF are going to be doing our damndest to make the sure game sells as much as possible (we already made quite the effort for 0, and we're gonna keep it going).

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are excellent jumping points so I'm confident that that will garner enough new fans for the series to make 6 just as profitable if not more so.
Just from looking at Yakuza 6 and knowing the absolute gem that is Yakuza 2, a Y2 remake in that engine could be one of the best games of the generation.
I know right? I don't think the prospect of a remake has gotten me this hyped before.

Yakuza 2 is indeed much more uncommon to find here in the UK. I've found the original Yakuza multiple times, but never come across the second (aside from the one I bought from new).

I'm fairly sure with the way things are going (and if Kiwami sells well) they will remake 2 also. It's clear there is reinvigoration for the series on the new generation which is baffling when you look at it on PS3 where it was struggling to even warrant a physical release (Yakuza 5).

Finally finished Chapter 2 after 13 hours. Move on to Chapter 3 and oh man what an incredible intro! These extended character intros are always some of my favourite parts of Yakuza games, but I think Majima's intro might have been the best one yet.

EDIT - Oh yeah, count me in on the Yakuza 2 remake train. Such an absolutely brilliant game, and an update to the modern camera, controls and graphics would make it perfect.

Kyonashi

Do you think they'll change the subtitle of Kiwami in the West to build on the broader appeal 0 seems to be achieving?

I can see it being confusing or off-putting to have a random Japanese word that doesn't convey it's a remake of the first game.

Only on Chapter 2 but where do these sub stories pop up?

Once you have to go back to your apartment in Chapter 2, you'll start seeing random encounters in various parts of the city that will trigger their respective substory opportunities.

Some you'll find by just walking around and then some cutscene will trigger. Some will need you buying stuff/food/playing activities from various shops.

Clive

Do you think they'll change the subtitle of Kiwami in the West to build on the broader appeal 0 seems to be achieving?

I can see it being confusing or off-putting to have a random Japanese word that doesn't convey it's a remake of the first game.

I mean, the series is already called "Yakuza" in the west. People with no interest in Japan and who ignore games with "strange foreign names" will give it a pass already. People still there after reading "Yakuza" won't be turned off by the word following it.

Top Bottom