• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Yes, Mark Hammil. Everyone likes to talk about his performance because it's literally the only one worth noting. He's about the only halfway decent performance in the dub. The rest, by far and large, are pretty damn bad.

Though to be honest, I still get a good laugh out of it! XD

Agreed, I'm glad too that the original JP voices are coming back but the dub did have it's moments.
Is Yakuza Kiwame going to feel dated after playing 0?
Same battle system as Zero.

So no.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yes, Mark Hammil. Everyone likes to talk about his performance because it's literally the only one worth noting. He's about the only halfway decent performance in the dub. The rest, by far and large, are pretty damn bad.

Do you live in a world where Michael Madsen does not exist?!

No. It's literally the exact same engine that Zero uses. It looks a bit more stilted due to using some animations from the original release, but it's truly not worth worrying too much about. The game is still among one of the best remakes you could ask for.

Do you live in a world where Michael Madsen does not exist?!
Haha yeah I forgot about him. I don't know, I just get a bit tired of people keep bringing up Hammil in the original dub. Even he can't save it, in my opinion. :p

JJShadow

Just unlocked the real estate business and I managed to collect almost 100 million yen in a couple of hours, cannot imagine how much cash flows in once you own several districts lol

I think is McNugget time, isn't it?

oneida

I hope people don't get their hopes up for Kiwami. I love Yakuza 1, it's one of my favorite entries in the series, blemishes and all - but considering Kiwami is pretty much copy/pasta Y1 in the Y5/0 engine, it's a must less "essential" release than 0 if you've already played 1. It's not as much a "full remake" as people might expect.

Ok the sub stories in this game are amazing, like some next level shit. Developers please take note this is how optional stuff should be done.

The
steven Spielberg/ Michael Jackson
sub story had me laughing so hard. As well as
How to train your dominatrix when you wind up at the park with the kids

This is my first yakuza game and it's fucking brilliant. GOTY contender for sure

I hope people don't get their hopes up for Kiwami. I love Yakuza 1, it's one of my favorite entries in the series, blemishes and all - but considering Kiwami is pretty much copy/pasta Y1 in the Y5/0 engine, it's a must less "essential" release than 0 if you've already played 1. It's not as much a "full remake" as people might expect.
While it may not be on the level of 0, I'm still incredibly excited for Kiwami. While having considerably better visuals, loading times, combat, etc is a massive upgrade on it's own, the story of 0 (while I haven't finished it yet) is making the story of 1 seem retroactively better.

Playing through the remake now having experienced the story of 0 and having developed much more of a bond with the characters is going to be an amazing experience, I just know it.

I GUESS they could, but you'd have parts of the game that wouldn't be dubbed because new content was added to Kiwami. It'd be weird having some dubbed and some not. They're far more likely to just stick with the re-recorded audio from the Japanese release. Not to mention, the dub for the original game... not the best.
honestly i would've preferred that they did that but it's whatever. what matters is that we're getting that fuckin game.

Well it takes the same engine, fighting engine and many mini games from 0, so no. It'll feel just like Yakuza 0, not really dated as the story of the game itself is still excellent and its got far more content and far better combat than the original release of Yakuza 1.

Akoi

Just finished chapter 4... Wow, what a ride this game is... First time Yakuza player here... I'm a believer.

I've put well over 12 hours into this game, spending most of my time on the sub stories and there is enough variety to them that makes them interesting.

Rymuth

While it may not be on the level of 0, I'm still incredibly excited for Kiwami. While having considerably better visuals, loading times, combat, etc is a massive upgrade on it's own, the story of 0 (while I haven't finished it yet) is making the story of 1 seem retroactively better.
If there's only thing I can be thankful for 0 is that it fleshed out
Nishiki
who just seemed to be a massive dick for no reason in Yakuza 1

i started on yakuza 3 so i'm definitely looking forward to kiwami.

Jharp

God I want to get into this series. Where do I start? I have a PS3, a 360, a PS4, a Wii U, and a gaming PC. Though from what I understand, the series is focused entirely on Sony consoles.

I've started buying up last gen games while they're cheap just in case they get rare/expensive soon. I picked up Tokyo Mirage Sessions for $30 while I could, and Nier for $20. I can still get all the PS3 Yakuza games for relatively cheap. Should I nab them? What order do I go in? Was thinking starting with Dead Souls since it's a spinoff, but then it's probably going to rely a lot on inside jokes and knowledge of past games, right? Start with Yakuza 3, watch the recaps, and just go in release order?

Oh.

Is one of the recordings considered substantially better than the other? This isn't the japanese equivalent of the MGS1 US dub vs. The Twin Snakes re-recording dilemma, where you could tell the actors didn't really care about doing all of the dialogue over, right?

Well I don't speak Japanese, but having played through Kiwami in its entirety, I can say that it sounded great! The voices seemed to be pretty on point and as you would expect. I also own the Japanese copies of Yakuza 1+2 on PS2 and the VA is still good, but definitely not as clear or as well mixed. The re-recording was necessary, I think.

As far as Kiwami is concerned, people should consider it a sister game to Yakuza 0. They're designed to be played back to back. But keep in mind, this was a rather small project for the team as it was being made while the majority of staff were working on Yakuza 6. As mentioned above, it reuses the same character animations from the original game but "dressed" with the graphics engine of Yakuza 0.

It looks fine, but not as "polished" as 0, and given that these games all have their fair share of jank to them, it's more noticeable.

Lastly, while I'm on the subject of graphics, I'd like to reiterate for the few people who have issues with the engine of Yakuza 0 - it's not only a 2 year old game, it's a game that was also released on the PS3. With that said, I've generally seen nothing but absolute praise and positivity from people, and I couldn't be happier! :D

God I want to get into this series. Where do I start? I have a PS3, a 360, a PS4, a Wii U, and a gaming PC. Though from what I understand, the series is focused entirely on Sony consoles.

I've started buying up last gen games while they're cheap just in case they get rare/expensive soon. I picked up Tokyo Mirage Sessions for $30 while I could, and Nier for $20. I can still get all the PS3 Yakuza games for relatively cheap. Should I nab them? What order do I go in? Was thinking starting with Dead Souls since it's a spinoff, but then it's probably going to rely a lot on inside jokes and knowledge of past games, right? Start with Yakuza 3, watch the recaps, and just go in release order?

You could start with Zero, move onto Kiwami, then go back to the PS3 for 3, 4, and 5, back to PS4 for 6. That's the most practical.

OR if you could get your hands on the PS2 versions of Yakuza 1+2, I'd suggest playing them in order of release. That is, 1-5, then 0, then 6. The reason I might suggest this (if possible) is because certain characters motivations and personalities are quite different in 0 compared to future games in the franchise. I think people who start with 0 and move to Kiwami (1) will see a radical change in Majima's behavior, but it'll make sense. For those who've been playing in order, it was especially strange seeing Majima as we've come to know and love him - and then see him as he's portrayed in 0. Plus it has a bunch of little throwbacks and references to future games in the timeline. That said, the first option would probably be better for you. You'll be missing out on Yakuza 2 of course, but thankfully, Yakuza 3 (and 4) have "reminisce" options in the main menu that cover the main story and plot, complete with cutscenes.

..Oh, and Dead Souls.

Nishiki

Thankfully Kiwami fleshed that out much more as well, its really good to see how his personality changes, especially one particularly brutal twist.

Aki-at

I think what I love most is all these newcomers coming in and saying they've spent 20+ hours on the game and have barely gone past Chapter 5 haha. Absolutely loving people having such a swell time with the side activities.

Just finished chapter 4... Wow, what a ride this game is... First time Yakuza player here... I'm a believer.

Glad to have another one on board, enjoy the ride :)

Hi guys, quick question regarding Chapter 10.

Looks like Kiryu is off to Sotenbori. Will I be able to return? I've finished the property sidequest and I've got about 5 Billion in my pocket. But I've only done about 38/60 substories. I'd stay and do more, but I've got to a point where I just want to continue now, and if I can return later I'll complete them then.

Hi guys, quick question regarding Chapter 10.

Looks like Kiryu is off to Sotenbori. Will I be able to return? I've finished the property sidequest and I've got about 5 Billion in my pocket. But I've only done about 38/60 substories. I'd stay and do more, but I've got to a point where I just want to continue now, and if I can return later I'll complete them then.

Yes, you can.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah don't worry, even if you just want to finish the story first you'll go into Premium Adventure mode with the cleared data and be able to continue/finish everything else other than the main story.

danowat

Banned
I think what I love most is all these newcomers coming in and saying they've spent 20+ hours on the game and have barely gone past Chapter 5 haha. Absolutely loving people having such a swell time with the side activities.

Still on Ch.4, 24 hours in........

Yeah don't worry, even if you just want to finish the story first you'll go into Premium Adventure mode with the cleared data and be able to continue/finish everything else other than the main story.

Ah sweet. That's a relief. I'll do that then I think. I've already spent around 15 hours doing random side stuff on this chapter alone. I'm ready for more story now haha.

Series newcomer here, over 60 hours on Chapter 10. Thought I'd have finished this ages ago but I've been having a blast. Probably hit 100 hours when I'm all said and done. Not bad for a game I thought I'd give a chance based on the fact that the future of the franchise could potentially hinge on the success of this title. Why didn't I jump in sooner?!

Yep! This series has always been great with how it handles post-game content!

Foffy

Banned
Man, I am garbage at batting, and the sensitivity is really problematic for me.

Are there any tricks to handling it well? :/

Nishiki

Yeah, that aspect of 0 does a good job of retroactively improving the main core of Y1's conflict.

In the original Y1,
you barely get any sense that they used to be bros

A question about Chapter 7.

Right now the time of day in the game is like afternoon. I've just unlocked the cabaret club management and want to finish that before completely devoting my time to story, but I wanna do those stuff in night time since it'll be more appropriate. Now the question is, if I do a main story event to advance the time, will I still get to do the management stuff right after it, or will it lock me on doing important story stuff for a while? I want to avoid the latter.

I'm at the point
that you are waiting to hear back from Lee and have decided to go back to Grand cabaret for now.

i'm looking at the trophy list for this game, is there no trophy for beating the game on hard? only for the extra hard difficulty?

Go big or go home! :)

These games aren't particularly hard anyway. Especially not Yakuza 0. I'd almost recommend everybody who's played a beat em up before just play it on Hard.

Yeah if you haven't played 1 I think Kiwami will be a really good experience!
fuck yeah it will.

a good friend of mine that i've been playing uncharted 4 with has been askin me about this new game i've been playing.

he's kind of a semi-casual, so the best way i described to him was that it is like uncharted mixed with tekken; uncharted because it is a very story driven game, and tekken because you're fighting your enemies instead of shooting them.

i might double dip on kiwami and get a copy for him on his birthday

hampig

Can anyone give me their personal rankings of the Yakuza games? Just curious how 0 is staking up to the rest considering I've seen nothing but love for it.

oneida

Can anyone give me their personal rankings of the Yakuza games? Just curious how 0 is staking up to the rest considering I've seen nothing but love for it.

2 > 4 = 1 > 5 > 3

I'm not very far into 0, but right now I'm feeling like

2 > 0 > 4 = 1 > 5 > 3

Top Bottom