• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

jrcbandit

Damn, I don't think I can get a high enough score in Outrun for the duel.... I guess I have to make up the 10% loss elsewhere?

Also, can you ignore upgrading any fighting style you dislike or does the game force you to use certain styles outside of the style trainings? I never seem to use the brawler/thug styles at all. I guess once I eventually get billions from real estate, I can waste it on maxing all styles but right now I have to make choices since I only have income from 1.5 real estate areas (conquered one, working on another).

Rymuth

This Yuki girl is throwing an awful lot of shade at Majima...
It's...it's not like she likes him or anything, b-Baka!
After a short rest period, time for legendary 100% completion run. Haven't been this motivated in Yakuza for a while.
I feel the same way. Haven't finished the game yet but the journey to 100% has thus far been very rewarding.

I know I'm gonna hit that wall sooner or later where the tedium sets in, but damn if I'm not gonna savor every step.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
God I love the combat in this game. It's scratching my beat 'em up itch.

Damn, I don't think I can get a high enough score in Outrun for the duel.... I guess I have to make up the 10% loss elsewhere?

Also, can you ignore upgrading any fighting style you dislike or does the game force you to use certain styles outside of the style trainings? I never seem to use the brawler/thug styles at all. I guess once I eventually get billions from real estate, I can waste it on maxing all styles but right now I have to make choices since I only have income from 1.5 real estate areas (conquered one, working on another).

You don't need to upgrade a style your not gonna use and the game doesn't force you outside of training.

UK Charts are out - Yakuza was 8th in its launch week.

I *think* / hope that's good but I'm not sure how it compares to launch sales for earlier titles in the series. Hopefully well.

Hopefully we get some idea of actual numbers. But I can't imagine any other game in the series, bar maybe 1 or 3 managed to chart decently. I'm cautiously optimistic on this. I don't expect big numbers, just that it ends up being the best selling entry in the series in the West...

holygeesus

Banned
Complete newcomer to the series and only just started the game (but loving it thus far) and have one simple question about combat - during battles, when attackers 'flash' is this just a warning of an incoming attack or a prompt to counter? I can't recall being taught counter-moves during the tutorial but may have missed it.

Apologies for the noob question.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
UK Charts are out - Yakuza was 8th in its launch week.

I *think* / hope that's good but I'm not sure how it compares to launch sales for earlier titles in the series. Hopefully well.

Hopefully we get some idea of actual numbers. But I can't imagine any other game in the series, bar maybe 1 or 3 managed to chart decently. I'm cautiously optimistic on this. I don't expect big numbers, just that it ends up being the best selling entry in the series in the West...

the legs on GTAV are unreal

looks positive

To give you folks an example, did a quick search:

http://ukie.org.uk/content/ukie-week-11-2011-uk-video-games-charts

When Yakuza 3 came out it was 24th place in its first week and when Yakuza 4 came out it was 25th in its first week. Even if the numbers themselves turn out to not be massive this is still very good for the series here in the UK :)

EDIT - Taking a further look, Yakuza 2 didn't even chart in the top 40 when it first came out

tanuki

I'm a few hours into this and it's already much better than I remember Yakuza being before (having played a fair amount of 1 and 3). Just feels like all the gameplay elements have come together better. And less loading screens makes a difference too.

To give you folks an example, did a quick search:

http://ukie.org.uk/content/ukie-week-11-2011-uk-video-games-charts

When Yakuza 3 came out it was 24th place in its first week and when Yakuza 4 came out it was 25th in its first week. Even if the numbers themselves turn out to not be massive this is still very good for the series here in the UK :)

EDIT - Taking a further look, Yakuza 2 didn't even chart in the top 40 when it first came out

Definitely sounds more promising when you put it that way :)

Man, even as a kid I didn't like Space Harrier...it just always looked kinda janky and it's a bit cheap. It's sort of annoying to feel forced to play it to do that one substory.

I love Out Run though, but is it just me or does it seem harder than the original? Weren't there checkpoints in the past? Every time I end up just running out of time in the desert, and it doesn't let you continue. Not sure I'll ever be able to get far in that one.

There's something about this game though, it feels like it was made as a celebration of videogames with the old school beat-em-up combat and the ridiculous sidestories. It's like it's saying to us, "Remember when games were supposed to be fun and not post-apocalyptic dad simulators?"

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Man, even as a kid I didn't like Space Harrier...it just always looked kinda janky and it's a bit cheap. It's sort of annoying to feel forced to play it to do that one substory.

I love Out Run though, but is it just me or does it seem harder than the original? Weren't there checkpoints in the past? Every time I end up just running out of time in the desert, and it doesn't let you continue. Not sure I'll ever be able to get far in that one.

There's something about this game though, it feels like it was made as a celebration of videogames with the old school beat-em-up combat and the ridiculous sidestories. It's like it's saying to us, "Remember when games were supposed to be fun and not post-apocalyptic dad simulators?"
the version of OutRun in Yakuza 0 is effectively arcade perfect, checkpoints are present and behave as they always have.

and space harrier rules!

I don't remember Outrun ever having checkpoints (at least not in any port I've ever played). I do wish Space Harrier would let you continue though, I can get up to around stage 10-12 on a good run but I can't ever imagine 1 credit clearing it!

Tizoc

Complete newcomer to the series and only just started the game (but loving it thus far) and have one simple question about combat - during battles, when attackers 'flash' is this just a warning of an incoming attack or a prompt to counter? I can't recall being taught counter-moves during the tutorial but may have missed it.

What do u mean by flashing attcja? Some enemies will have aura around them to indicate they are powered up
On the upper roght a blue triagle will flash to indicate u can do a heat action

the version of OutRun in Yakuza 0 is effectively arcade perfect, checkpoints are present and behave as they always have.

Huh, well I probably haven't played Out Run since the '90s so I guess I just suck at it now. Or maybe I always did and just used tokens to get anywhere. It's not quite the same without the wheel and shifter though.

danowat

Banned

and space harrier rules!

I used to play ALOT of Outrun in the arcades back in the 80's, and the game in Yakuza 0 seems to run way faster than the arcade version ever did.

Obviously need numbers for stronger context, but 8th looks pretty decent considering the legacy of how undeservingly unpopular this game has been for the western markets.

Frimaire

Not sure if this is the flash you're talking about, but I think some enemies flash white when you hit them during an attack that they can't be knocked out of.

Rymuth

Is Kamurocho the only area? And when do you unlock all the side activities/locations?
For Kiryu, yes. Although there is a pier area you can go to via taxi but it's really just a small square for you to fish in.

Majima's story is confined to Sotenbori

Kain

Beat that fucker Shakedown for the first time. Feels good, man.

I cheesed him like a fondue with Majima's bat. No mercy

Vorheez

For Kiryu, yes. Although there is a pier area you can go to via taxi but it's really just a small square for you to fish in.

Majima's story is confined to Sotenbori
Ok cool, thank you. What about all the cool side stuff? I just unlocked pocket car racing by walking by the girl in front of the shop. Is this how a majority of those activities are unlocked? Or are they tied to story/character progression?

Ok cool, thank you. What about all the cool side stuff? I just unlocked pocket car racing by walking by the girl in front of the shop. Is this how a majority of those activities are unlocked? Or are they tied to story/character progression?

Pocket Racing is I believe the only side activity unlocked by just wandering nearby. All others are either unlocked by the time the game opens up or are unlocked eventually through story progression.

xezuru

Some sidequests are locked behind main story progress due to mechanics being introduced that said yes the main way to find stuff and get stuff done is just going around town and checking out anything that sticks out because the sidequests will just be out there, also recommend trying out any activities 3 times because some sidequests will pop after progress in dancing or ect.

holygeesus

Banned
What do u mean by flashing attcja? Some enemies will have aura around them to indicate they are powered up
On the upper roght a blue triagle will flash to indicate u can do a heat action

Take for example the very first boss battle - as you are making your way up the building, you enter a corridor with a big dude holding a chair, that he brings down on you. Just before he does this he 'flashes' - I wasn't sure if it is just a warning of an impending attack or if there is a specific 'counter' attack I should be using. I'm presuming now that is just warning you.

xezuru

Take for example the very first boss battle - as you are making your way up the building, you enter a corridor with a big dude holding a chair, that he brings down on you. Just before he does this he 'flashes' - I wasn't sure if it is just a warning of an impending attack or if there is a specific 'counter' attack I should be using. I'm presuming now that is just warning you.

Flashing usually means you are hitting something with Super Armor, meaning they are in a circumstance where they can eat hits without being stunned even while they may be attacking. If you level up Kiryu's beast stance enough you will see him flash frequently as well.

Sorry if this is a bit cringe but just wanted to say a massive thanks to the people heavily involved in this OT. I've been intrigued by the Yakuza series for a while but never enough to actually buy one of the games. This thread basically tipped me from 'interested' to 'definitely pre-ordering' and I am absolutely fucking loving this game, so cheers.

Only as far as the beginning of Majima's story now so plenty to go. Enjoying the main story a lot so far - dark, layered, complex but not po-faced, full of machismo but in a slightly silly way. It's great.

I'm excited going round every corner, not knowing what to expect. I'm probably like 6 or so hours in and I've already done so many crazy things.

But yeah, THANKS Yakuza 0 OT. Very glad I bothered to read through.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this is a bit cringe but just wanted to say a massive thanks to the people heavily involved in this OT. I've been intrigued by the Yakuza series for a while but never enough to actually buy one of the games. This thread basically tipped me from 'interested' to 'definitely pre-ordering' and I am absolutely fucking loving this game, so cheers.

Only as far as the beginning of Majima's story now so plenty to go. Enjoying the main story a lot so far - dark, layered, complex but not po-faced, full of machismo but in a slightly silly way. It's great.

I'm excited going round every corner, not knowing what to expect. I'm probably like 6 or so hours in and I've already done so many crazy things.

Great to have another fan onboard!

Zanzura

A white flash indicates the person is under a "super armor" effect, meaning they can't be hit-stunned out of their attack for a few hits or possibly the entire animation. Both Majima and Kiryu can do this with certain attacks, usually in the Slugger or Beast styles.

A red flash indicates a retaliation attack was triggered, Kiryu can do this with the Brawler style by hitting square, triangle or circle after getting hit. If an enemy triggers it (Mr. Shakedown comes to mind), then something you did triggered it. Usually it's something like too many frontal attacks or too many attempts to hit through their guard.

JJShadow

It's hilarious how Kiryu offers the money briefcase to the property itself when you buy one lol

And rofl at those heaven's door opening when you get on a date with a telephone club girl haha

This game will never stop surprising me

Embrace the mini games and sidequests. Good to have another yakuza member.

Zanzura

Ok, I unlocked something to make "nouveaux riches" appear.
What does it do exactly?

Rich dudes will now show up as random encounters. They can potentially drop a million+ yen, especially if you use a Heat action to beat them. They stand out big time so you can't miss them. It's a decent source of cash early on but I don't know if the amount they gives scales or not as you progress.

Floody

Do the Mr Shakedown guys always spawn after you beat them? I kinda blew all my money on the Pocket Racing, I can beat one a get 200m, but don't want to miss out on farming them later when I have billions.

deim0s

Is ther another karaoke bar around the
Leisure King
area? Kinda locked out of Serena due to the Story.

Is there a place near the password guy?

Do the Mr Shakedown guys always spawn after you beat them? I kinda blew all my money on the Pocket Racing, I can beat one a get 200m, but don't want to miss out on farming them later when I have billions.

They infinitely respawn if that's what you mean. Going into a shop a couple of times (basically hitting a couple of loading screens) should get him to respawn. Then you can continue to farm him for cash.

Rizzi

I found the Pocket Circuit.
14VTS4H.jpg
I love this game.

Okada

This is my first Yakuza game (like many others in here I'm sure) and I think it's bloody fantastic.

I'm only in chapter 2 and am progressing pretty slowly probably because the whole game feels so alive compared to other "open world" games, I just want to try everything. Some of the side stuff is pure gold.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I used to play ALOT of Outrun in the arcades back in the 80's, and the game in Yakuza 0 seems to run way faster than the arcade version ever did.

If it seems that way it's because "smooth mode" is enabled, which was introduced in the Saturn version. It's also present in the 3DS release, developed by M2, who also converted the game for Yakuza 0. All smooth mode does is make the backgrounds run in 60fps, it does not change the game speed at all. If you compare the Yakuza 0 conversion with the arcade pcb you'll see they run at the same speed.

Top Bottom