• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

Audioboxer

Die Squirrel Die said:
Look up in the tree nearest the Millenium Tower, it's on one of the branches. For some reason though it's really hard to see and get a lock on to though, it may take some repositioning on the ground to accomplish.

Kazzy

For those who have complete the game:

Where is Ajima's ending scene? Everyone else got their nice little bit bar him, found it a bit odd. Nevermind was viewing the credits as I typed this, just saw the final scene, very cool. I'd be interested to see where they move on with the series from here, it seems to have closed the book on all the existing plot threads.

RedSwirl

I just started Tanimura's game, and I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Mahjong. Any good interactive guides out there?

Go_Ly_Dow

Oh my god the Part 2 opening scene and the whole opening section is amazing!

Hamazaki actually won me over =(

Audioboxer

M_Night said:
Oh my god the Part 2 opening scene and the whole opening section is amazing!

Yes, just watched it, I concur, pretty damn awesome.

So far this game is far exceeding Yakuza 3, unless it shits its pants going forward I have no idea what tripe IGN were peddling saying it takes backseat to Yakuza 3.

RedSwirl

This game just got better, again! Just discovered the narrows they added to Kamuocho where all the illegal immigrants hang out, and it's like a daggum maze!

Subtitles are a little different than what they are saying but loving the game so far. Did the rest of you start your first game on hard or medium?

IrishNinja

ok, so i'm in the final chapter of part 3 (still really enjoying it, shit just got tense), and im gearing up for part 4 finally - anyone platting this yet, or thereabouts? which ones are hard/missable? i figure most can/should be knocked out on a normal playthrough, then go back & do ex-hard, which will likely beat my ass, as i dont think theres a new game +.

also, i totally gotta find the shenmue reference.

hamchan

Yes, just watched it, I concur, pretty damn awesome.

So far this game is far exceeding Yakuza 3, unless it shits its pants going forward I have no idea what tripe IGN were peddling saying it takes backseat to Yakuza 3.
Yeah I don't know what the IGN reviewer was thinking :-\

I think this game is the best of the series.

I just got to chapter 4 and am shocked at how everything makes sense. I haven't played one or two so I'm a little confused about the time lines still, but so far the story is head and shoulders above 3.

Riposte

Yeah this is without a doubt the best one yet. Even playing as Kazuma feels better.

Anyway the weakest chapter is Kazuma's. It is structured really poorly and you just breeze through it. For other characters you might do sidequests and stuff while moving the story along. For chapter 4, it is just "okay, right before the end, now you can do your sidequests". Also storywise(end game spoilers):

It should have been more about Daigo and Tojo Clan's state of affairs and Majima's arrest. The Daigo battle had less build up than the Mine fight from 3. Totally weird.

And on another note: STOP THROWING GUNS IN FRONT OF BAD GUYS, FUCK! How many times will Kazuma be witness to this lol? The last scene would have been better if Arai had tossed down the gun with fake bullets, just to fuck with him. Would have made the scene with Akiyama better.

It is going to be hard to go back to a full Kazuma game for 5. If they do go multi-character route again, then they should make weapons/gear easier to obtain/manage.

Riposte

Another complaint, aside from the very last fight, the finale was too easy. At one point, I was basically messing around hoping to get the heat action thing. Final boss from 3 was much tougher.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yakuza 4 is by far my favorite of the main series (Not counting KENZAN)!

Us series faithful can probably all agree that playing through the game with multiple characters and having their stories intertwine with each other, it was a breath of fresh air.

When the game was first announce for Japanese release, I was shocked/worried about the multiple character direction the game was going. It turns out that each character got their love/attention that made the game much more enjoyable for me story/character wise.

Great job SEGA!

Riposte

Yakuza 3 OST > Yakuza 4 OST. The latter has still has good songs though. Trying to find to the "fight your way out of a stage" song.

EDIT: The install screen is awesome. I can't explain it, but it gets me so hyped.

EDIT: How did this game sell anyway?

Riposte

Smile Venomously is also pretty damn good. Even better than the finale songs, somehow. It also plays at some of the best moments in the game. (So don't spoil yourselves if you haven't played the game yet.)

Riposte said:
EDIT: How did this game sell anyway?

I hope RubyEclipse can get us some hints about the success of this :D

And it would be really odd if Yakuza 5 would have a single main character again. But if i were Nagoshi, i would concentrate on only 2 characters. (i would also take my time to revamp the engine visually, pretty up kamurocho and include another big location)

I would have prefered a more exciting track when you first fight Kiryu, but to each his own. Also, it would have been cool if they played Yakuza 1 music when you fight the color gang members, for nostalgia's sake. Yakuza 3 had a remix of Intelligence for Violence when you fought Hasebe, that was a pretty nice touch.

hamchan

Number of characters doesn't really bother me but I don't think they can bring Kazuma Kiryu back as a playable character. A big new location is the most important thing Yakuza 5 needs to have imo.

hamchan said:
Number of characters doesn't really bother me but I don't think they can bring Kazuma Kiryu back as a playable character. A big new location is the most important thing Yakuza 5 needs to have imo.

They can always make prequels! ;D I would like to see the story of Kazuma getting that tattoo.

And did anyone here finish the Black Panther spinoff, anything there that could be brought to the main series?

edbrat

a free weekend to play Yakuza 4 wooo!

so any tips for a newcomer to the series who bought on GAF hype and reviews?

Unwrapping and firing up once I have posted, looking forward to this :)

edbrat said:

Be prepared to read a lot of text, enjoy a lot of sinister crime drama cutscenes and beat a lot of people up! Enjoy! :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
edbrat said:
a free weekend to play Yakuza 4 wooo!

Unwrapping and firing up once I have posted, looking forward to this :)
Watch the reminisce cutscenes

edbrat

quick tea break after playing an hour or so, initial impressions v positive. Love the atmosphere. Cannot wait to explore a little more.

8bit

Knows the Score
On the finale now and trying to finish some of the substories, but I'm a bit self concious that I'm playing a madman who sculpts things from handy blocks of wood in his pocket on a mission to beat up the homeless because some cats told me to do it and carrying around pockets full of trash.

it's been mentioned up here before, but anyone who enjoys the yakuza games really owes it to themselves to check out 'the yakuza papers'. i finally got around to watching these a couple months ago, & they obviously had a huge influence on nagoshi (especially the main character, who looks, & even dresses, a heckuva lot like kiryu). made in the mid-'70's, the main series (there were some more made later) consists of 5 movies. they're based on true events, & narrated in something like a documentary style. lots of bad-ass dialog, crazy frantic action, & (of course) enough double-crossing to make your head spin repeatedly...

the-yakuza-papers-0002_web.jpg

very glad i finally saw them - an interesting, intense saga that's also pretty damn whacked :) ...

& with that - back to side-missions :) ...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RedSwirl said:
I just started Tanimura's game, and I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Mahjong. Any good interactive guides out there?
ThePatrick's Y3 or Y2 guide had a pretty comprehensive Japanse mahjong guide.

It's mostly like... bridge or poker though. You're trying to make "hands" based on what you think is still available in the community tile pool.

GeoramA

I get a kick how Americans are portrayed in this. I like how every American you fight says "Finish!" when they try a power move.

The names are pretty funny too, came across an "Iverson" and a "Lopez" :lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GeoramA said:
I get a kick how Amercan's are portrayed in this. I like how every American you fight says "Finish!" when they try a power move.

The names are pretty funny too, came across an "Iverson" and a "Lopez" :lol
The HAHAHAAHHAA guy is fantastic.

And of course there was Maximum Guile in Yakuza 3
Mack is Eddie Murphy.

Not a single fat American. That's surprising

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Love Taiga's fighting, it has me way more involved in most combat.

Can't stop playing Fighter Maker, got up to winning the tournaient with the third character, I'll just finish it and be done with it. Hope the reward won't suck!

I took a huge break from gaming and I never finished Yakuza 3, I just got back into it and man I forgot how much I love this series. It's easily my favorite open-ish world game. I gotta knock it out and pick up 4, from what I'm hearing I'm in store for some good ish.

Yuterald

I have about 80 hours logged with 86% game completion. I can't stop! The more I play this game the more it solidifies its position as the BEST Yakuza game. I also have 12/18 Gold Crowns on my completion list. So much fun!

I got to the secret boss fight this morning and holy shit is it tough. The Yakuza formula is the best. You have all these sidequests and alternate gameplay distractions that all ultimately tie into leveling up your character, gaining new moves, and earning bad ass gear. The devs then top it off with a very challenging secret boss that calls forth everything you have learned and gained over the course of 80 some hours. PERFECT.

Seriously, out of all the PS2/last gen series that have jumped to next gen, Yakuza has done it the best. The team at Sega is one of the few development teams that is carrying the torch from last gen.

So far I'm not a fan of this game. There are no improvements over Y3 and the story has been very boring so far (Almost done with Akijama missions). I just want Kazuma and not some crappy replacements. I don't even feel like playing anymore :(. I love this franchise, but this iteration feels like a quick cash in.

schennmu said:
So far I'm not a fan of this game. There are no improvements over Y3 and the story has been very boring so far (Almost done with Akijama missions). I just want Kazuma and not some crappy replacements. I don't even feel like playing anymore :(. I love this franchise, but this iteration feels like a quick cash in.

Lulz, Kazuma fucking sucks compared to the new guys.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Red Blaster said:
Agreed. I was just about up to my limit with Kazuma in Yakuza 3 and his self-righteous naivety bullshit. If Y4 didn't add the new characters I may have not played it, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Akiyama ftw.

Yuterald

schennmu said:

o_O Better watch what you say around these streets or someone may hire an old member of the HLA and put a hit on you.

Kazzy

Red Blaster said:

If you are referring to the character himself, fair enough, but personally I think the absence of him for large parts of the game benefits him in much the same way Snake was in MGS2.

In terms of gameplay he is head and shoulders above the rest of the characters, he is so dominant it's not even funny, there is a few area they all seem to be lacking in except him.

Watanabe Kazuma said:
If you are referring to the character himself, fair enough, but personally I think the absence of him for large parts of the game benefits him in much the same way Snake was in MGS2.

In terms of gameplay he is head and shoulders above the rest of the characters, he is so dominant it's not even funny, there is a few area they all seem to be lacking in except him.

That's because he has 3x the moves of everyone else.

I was referring to Kaz as a character; he's a boring, overly idealistic stiff. He's gotten tiresome after 3 games.

Kazzy

Red Blaster said:
That's because he has 3x the moves of everyone else.

I was referring to Kaz as a character; he's a boring, overly idealistic stiff. He's gotten tiresome after 3 games.

I still like him, like I said in a previous post 4 seems to be drawing a line under everything that has happened so far in the series, I wonder if he will be the main protagonist in the future.

I did like Akiyama and Tanimura, fresh perspective helped to move the game along.

In both the way he played as well as the character himself, I found Taiga to be the weakest addition, it's just my luck that he takes on a very significant role for future titles if the ending is anything to go by. Considering how much the series likes continuity, I wouldn't bet against it.

schennmu said:
Well, the whole series is very much a quick quick cash-in with all the recycled content and yearly "updates". :p
I do love Yak4 to no end, though. I'm well over 20 hours into the game and only just now made some progress in Tanimuras arc.

Riposte

Saying there are no improvements over 3 is B.S. How about the leveling system, for one?

Kazuma heat actions are more annoying to do than Tanimura's or Saejima's. You can link those two straight out of combos. Combined with Tanimura's parry and Saejima's awesome charge moves and tackle, I like them way more. Akiyama is about as good as Kazama, but lacks Heat attacks. Made the last fight kind of boring for him.

EDIT: Then again Kazuma does have those Komaki counter moves. Speaking of which, it is really hard to hit the "circle" one.

FuttBuck said:
I took a huge break from gaming and I never finished Yakuza 3, I just got back into it and man I forgot how much I love this series. It's easily my favorite open-ish world game. I gotta knock it out and pick up 4, from what I'm hearing I'm in store for some good ish.

Same here, I need to finish 3 up for this, this thread makes me want to start 4 now but I need to finish up 3.

schennmu said:
wtf lolz

No really
What the fuck
laugh out loudz

This game blows Y3 out of the water.

Top Bottom