• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ooof, did they run out of money for the Tanimura sections? All the cutscenes are in-engine instead of pre-rendered all of a sudden.

firehawk12 said:
Ooof, did they run out of money for the Tanimura sections? All the cutscenes are in-engine instead of pre-rendered all of a sudden.

I think it's just so that some scenes with minimal character movement can still have proper voiced dialogue.

No need for pre-rendered if all people are doing is sitting at a table yucking it up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I think it's just so that some scenes with minimal character movement can still have proper voiced dialogue.

No need for pre-rendered if all people are doing is sitting at a table yucking it up.
I dunno, a lot of the Akiyama/Lily stuff was pre-rendered atleast.

Anyway, I remember reading that there's a character in game that will give you sidequests? I'm following The Patrick's FAQ and I can't find a quest he has listed.

Trying to get these missions:
WITNESS
Time of Day: Daylight
Required Missions: None
Activates: A View From Above
1. Talk to the man on the east side of Theater Square, say you'll catch the
guy, receive sketch
2. Talk to the guy in black clothes with blonde hair and defeat men
Reward: Blackjack Amulet, 5,000 Experience

A VIEW FROM ABOVE
Time of Day: Daylight
Required Missions: Witness
Activates: None
1. Talk to the woman on the west side of Theater Square (near Mach Bowl)
2. Go up the stairs near Volcanic Volcano to the spot where you can look down,
see other place to go to on West Rooftops area
3. Go to other spot
4. Chase Battle: catch peeping Tom
Reward: Spy Item Collection, 5,000 Experience

hehe, yeah its funny when you learn to tell "and now, fade into a textbased dialog"

and yeah, the game uses motion captured cutscenes for almost everything important, but there are also a lot of scenes that use canned animations, these usually just have a lot of talking. The line between these are sometimes really jarring :D

I think one cutscene with Tanimura in the restaurant used all three different cutscene styles in one go.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm back in Karumocho baby! I really hope this series goes on for a long ass time, can't get enough of that city :D Taking my time exploring/substorying/key finding in the last chapter of Akiyama. This is one likeable mofo! And it's nice to see the loanshark side of the Yakuza world.

Did some digging around and it seems like no submission can be missed this time around. Nice move Sega and those missions are pretty cool so far with the random absurd one
puling a kidnapping scheme to have yourbathtub filled with money? the fuck?

This time around I'm still deluded to the point I think I'll get anywhere near getting the plat. Though a lot of trophies aren't that hard. Also, I should have chosen to play on Hard, I'm really just mowing through dumbasses I really could use some smarter adversaries in random battles.

Finally, where are the Heat Actions gifs people? Shit is BRUTAL!

BeeDog

Alright, just did the substory with the cats (part 2). At the end, you can decide to keep the 50,000 yen or give them to the cat-lover (and get the Cat Key instead). What should I do?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
BeeDog said:
Alright, just did the substory with the cats (part 2). At the end, you can decide to keep the 50,000 yen or give them to the cat-lover (and get the Cat Key instead). What should I do?
I haven't reached that submission yet but if the choices are "get an item" or "get 50.000yen", I'd get the item, 50.000 yen isn't hard to come by in the game.

Riposte

I both love and hate how the game is structured. Switching characters and releveling keeps it fresh, but at the same time, the inventory system is a mess. Trying to create weapons is mostly a waste of time. I really hope the 5th chapter isn't a short finale.

BeeDog

Mistouze said:
I haven't reached that submission yet but if the choices are "get an item" or "get 50.000yen", I'd get the item, 50.000 yen isn't hard to come by in the game.

That's true, so I went for the item. I actually went to the pawn shop to check its value, and lo and behold, it was worth 50,000 yen. :p

u_neek

I should receive the game later today. Thought I had had enough Yakuza after completing Y3 but I really need my fix of this awesome series now :)

Does this game take you out of Kamurocho like the previous two?

Facism

BeeDog said:
Doesn't help at all for me, since he keeps dodging them and beating the shit out of me from behind.

Dodge and punish. That's what i did. Kiryu barely touched me on Hard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
u_neek said:
I should receive the game later today. Thought I had had enough Yakuza after completing Y3 but I really need my fix of this awesome series now :)

Does this game take you out of Kamurocho like the previous two?
Not at all. Well except for a few scenes(think about the liberty city 'level' from san andreas)

But it does add an underground portion and a rooftops to make up for it

I'm playing as Saijima back in town at the mo and I have to find someone to get into the north park or something, but I'm a bit lost at where I'm supposed to be going to find him. Any ideas?

Even less keen on Saijima so far. Found the Kiryu fight particulaly hard and nearly put the game down at that part.

playing to win ;D

Sega's Yakuza 4 competition prizes:
yakuza4comp.jpg

my submission here: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/03/22/yakuza-4-like-a-dragon-competition-winners/

Audioboxer

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Oh my blargh. This game is out?! Blargh, I should trade in MvC3 for this :/

YES.

Although I'm biased and just have an ulterior motive to get everyone to get Yakuza 4 to support Sega.

BeeDog said:
How often does one get Platinum Plates from regular random encounters? Got one just now, omfg :p

Think the best I've had is a gold plate. So I'd consider a platinum quite rare.

.la1n

I fully intend to pick this game up after work today. I want to support proper releases of Yakuza anyway I can. I have some games to trade in so it won't break me too bad. Goodbye Dead Space 2 and MvC3 I hardly knew ye.

I will miss DS2, such a great start to 2011 but I digress.

Riposte

Wow!! The
Russian Roulette
subquest for Tanimura. Was looking forward to it since the trailer, but I figured it would be a mainquest event. Was on the edge of my seat! I am not even sure if you can lose it, but to be honest, it doesn't really matter. Huge reward too and has a good ending.

Riposte said:
I both love and hate how the game is structured. Switching characters and releveling keeps it fresh, but at the same time, the inventory system is a mess. Trying to create weapons is mostly a waste of time. I really hope the 5th chapter isn't a short finale.

It's annoying that items in a characters inventory isn't carried over to others when you switch...

Also the switching seems... I dunno, too quickly. I know overall its quite a long story, but the characters evolve so much that its hard to master them easily! I forgot how to play as the others by Requiem.

Yopis

Wow thanks to everyone in this thread, after reading for a few days went out and grabbed the game. Having a great time so far. Pissed that I didn't jump in from the start of the series but better late than never I guess.

hamchan

So playing through the substories for the first time (only played through main story in the JP version) and it seems like they are way more fleshed out compared to Yakuza 3. So even though there are less substories it seems that the quality of them has risen quite a lot. Hopefully it's not just Akiyama's that are like this lol.

RedSwirl

canadian crowe said:
I have a question about Lily:
how old is she? In 85 she looked at least 15. There is no way she can be 40.

Yeah I realized that too.
She's gotta be at least in her late 30's in the present day or there's something we don't know yet.
By the way, Haruka's got to be what, 15 by now?

Anyway, I'm at chapter 4 of Seijima's game and I've probably already left a lot of substories behind for the premium adventure mode, but this might be the most interesting main story in a Yakuza game so far.

Kazzy

RedSwirl said:
Yeah I realized that too.
She's gotta be at least in her late 30's in the present day or there's something we don't know yet.
By the way, Haruka's got to be what, 15 by now?

Anyway, I'm at chapter 4 of Seijima's game and I've probably already left a lot of substories behind for the premium adventure mode, but this might be the most interesting main story in a Yakuza game so far.

There quite a few characters that make mention of her age, can't remember when though.

As for the story I agree definitely, usually I spend a lot of time in side stuff but have been compelled by the story and have pushed straight on, that said it's a very good length by itself.

I really enjoyed fighting as Tanimura, but finally getting control of Kazuma again is great, you wade through guys like they aren't even there!

Audioboxer

Facism said:
Panty sniffer revelation!

OMFG that was hilarious.

Anyone know where the couple arguing are for the next revelation? Says little Asia... that's not the Asia adult dance joint right?

psycho17

Katana_Strikes said:
Oh gosh is there any tips for Majima? Cause I'm ready to pull the plug on this game.
He was hard as hell for me as well, but I realized you can use the bats to block his knife attacks. After I started doing that he wasn't too hard at all.

firehawk12 said:
Derp question - where on the map is the Kamurocho Hills building?
IIRC it's the bathroom way in the northeast corner.

The same place that Saejima tried to enter but the door was locked.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PepsimanVsJoe said:
IIRC it's the bathroom in the northeast corner.

The same place that Saejima tried to enter but the door was locked.
Yeah, it seems that you can't go back in later in the game. I had to cut through Purgatory. :lol

Katana_Strikes said:
Oh gosh is there any tips for Majima? Cause I'm ready to pull the plug on this game.

Have a couple of weapons on you, preferably a Sledgehammer or something heavy and a durable baseball bat or something to block knifehits. The skill that allows you to block knives helps too.

Also enough health items ;D

But after that its the basic block,dodge,punish.

explodet

When Majima did his pirouette knife attack, I just ran around him so that we both circled each other - he never touched me, it was hilarious. Otherwise I just charged him over and over. Cheesy but effective.

i just hit 35 million yen last night

just do baccarat, bet on the tie. 80000 profit, and the odds aren't too bad. just reload if you play more then you need to.

i sold about 200 platinum plates and now shouldn't have to worry about money anymore

majima goes down pretty easy if you use the spinning lariat or the huge uppercut charge moves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, what a downer of an ending compared to Y3. It's very bittersweet and almost makes me want to consider 3 the true end of the series. :p

Also, fuck that last boss fight. My big beef with the combat system? The fact that
fighting groups is the worst thing ever with the awkward targeting, the guy shooting you and breaking your guard and the five other guys with knives
. I know that's "normal Yakuza", but jeez, it's a freaking pain.

That said, unless LA Noire tops this somehow (which I think is impossible), this is my GOTY. Without a freaking doubt.

warpaint said:
am about 4 hours in still on chapter 2 part 1 man i just found the batting cage wow its hard
The secret is to watch the bat, not the ball. The moment your guy stops swinging the bat around is when you hit the button.

quinntendopower said:
i just hit 35 million yen last night

just do baccarat, bet on the tie. 80000 profit, and the odds aren't too bad. just reload if you play more then you need to.

i sold about 200 platinum plates and now shouldn't have to worry about money anymore

majima goes down pretty easy if you use the spinning lariat or the huge uppercut charge moves.

I think I'm going to need to try this. I had my 10 million for the Walking Bank trophy but these damn hostesses are eating away at it with alarming speed.

You guys have too much money? I barely beat 2 million for the first section and only because I just burned all the gambling aides I had.

Also, I've been playing part 2 more...I really like Saejima but once I hit the fighter training it all stopped. This is all I've been doing for the last 2 days. I'm on the last apprentice right now and I just love this mini game for some reason. I've really disliked the hostess training but this has been easier for me.

Audioboxer

Need more help!

Whilst standing on the manhole outside the Millenium tower (in front of it's left entrance) my key radar goes off but I can't find the key :(

Anyone know where the little shit is hiding? Thanks.

Need more help!

Whilst standing on the manhole outside the Millenium tower (in front of it's left entrance) my key radar goes off but I can't find the key :(

Anyone know where the little shit is hiding? Thanks.

Look up in the tree nearest the Millenium Tower, it's on one of the branches. For some reason though it's really hard to see and get a lock on to though, it may take some repositioning on the ground to accomplish.

BobTheFork said:
You guys have too much money? I barely beat 2 million for the first section and only because I just burned all the gambling aides I had.

Also, I've been playing part 2 more...I really like Saejima but once I hit the fighter training it all stopped. This is all I've been doing for the last 2 days. I'm on the last apprentice right now and I just love this mini game for some reason. I've really disliked the hostess training but this has been easier for me.

In Part 3 the game seems to throw money at you, including a substory with a 3million yen reward. Also I used the 2 zero jewels in the game on the roulette table, which makes the ball land on 0 or 00. Beat the max on one of those (1000) for a 36:1 payout (36000). Reloaded if it landed on the other. So 2 x 36000 is 72000, which can be traded in for Platinum Plates at 1500 per plate, which can then be sold for 150,000 at the pawn shop, if you trade in all the chips for plates you'd end up with Y7,200,000.

Top Bottom