• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

IrishNinja

JEKKI said:
Yakuza 4!! GOTY!

1z389br.jpg

congrats, by the way!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If they make a 5, I want them to make the characters more unique in terms of combat. This was a good start, but they still borrowed heavily from Kiryu's moveset in 3. Like, if they brought Tanimura back, I'd like to him to play similar to Donnie Yen in Ip Man.

Though I'm hoping 5 will have Kido and Majima as playable.

klee123

One thing though, I do admit. Sega needs to change the setting completely for RGG5.

They could actually use the assets from Kenzan and expand on it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
klee123 said:
One thing though, I do admit. Sega needs to change the setting completely for RGG5.

They could actually use the assets from Kenzan and expand on it.
Bet they won't do that until next gen.

IrishNinja

yeah, 4 wasnt the leap 3 was, i dont expect another leap if we get 5 this gen...but i'd love another area added like Okinawa in 3. Reusing Kensan! assets for bits of say Kyoto would be cool.

Yahtzee reviewed it, and i think it was one of his kinder ones. plot goes batshit crazy by the end (a staple of the series, by now) and a few other quips but overall, i think he mostly dug it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Like a ship without a sail without a... whys that song in this game? I thought I'd never hear it again after PSU x_x;

Trying to find the key on the rooftop above theater alley is driving me crazy! I don't see any sparkling no matter where I look! And I hate how Akiyama is rich but ya still gotta get buy with what piddly lil cash ya earn from fights & substories >.> Also it seems harder to knock people down in this game. Where'd all the hunched over dudes go?

bender

What time is it?
I finished the main story tonight. What a satisfying ending. :)

I clocked in at 39 hours and have just under 37% completion. I finished every side quest earlier this week and I can't believe my completion percentage is so low. There is so much content in this game it's unbelievable. This is easily my favorite game of the year.

Edgeward

Lindsay said:
Like a ship without a sail without a... whys that song in this game? I thought I'd never hear it again after PSU x_x;

Trying to find the key on the rooftop above theater alley is driving me crazy! I don't see any sparkling no matter where I look! And I hate how Akiyama is rich but ya still gotta get buy with what piddly lil cash ya earn from fights & substories <.< Also it seems harder to knock people down in this game. Where'd all the hunched over dudes go?
You just have end your combos with traingle. This helps if you also upgraded akiyama with double or triple kicks so you can end with 3 triangles after his full square combo. You wont knock down fatguy though, they are extremely hard to knock down without a weapon.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Finished it! 72 hours, 64,38%. Ending fights where stylish as fuck but on the story side I felt it lacked some crazyness but overall it's a great game. Now off to finish Kiryu's side missions and go for some trophies and crowns!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
13 hours 20 minutes on Akiyama alone. Sheesh I really lost myself in the game this time. Usually I just playthrough the first time for the story but that locker key radar had me hunting 'em like mad!

Edgeward said:
You just have end your combos with traingle. This helps if you also upgraded akiyama with double or triple kicks so you can end with 3 triangles after his full square combo. You wont knock down fatguy though, they are extremely hard to knock down without a weapon.

hehe what I meant was barreling over ordinary people walking the streets seemed more difficult then last time. Its so darn stupid its funny, I just gotta knock 'em down and totally get away with it @_@

Edgeward

Lindsay said:
13 hours 20 minutes on Akiyama alone. Sheesh I really lost myself in the game this time. Usually I just playthrough the first time for the story but that locker key radar had me hunting 'em like mad!

hehe what I meant was barreling over ordinary people walking the streets seemed more difficult then last time. Its so darn stupid its funny, I just gotta knock 'em down and totally get away with it @_@

Oh, seemed about the same to to me from 3. As long as you hit them directly from behind and they are male, it seemed like a pretty good chance of knocking them over. Managed to get it before I finished Akiyama's chapter and sidequests.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Edgeward said:
Oh, seemed about the same to to me from 3. As long as you hit them directly from behind and they are male, it seemed like a pretty good chance of knocking them over. Managed to get it before I finished Akiyama's chapter and sidequests.

Wait, do ya get something for doing that now? Cause I love doing it! Just wish the mechanics were somewhat different for each character. I'm rocking Saejima right now and a guy like him oughta be able ta run people over no problem!

Speaking of Saejima he is total hard mode. All of his mandatory fights have been really tough! I even lost to the big man twice before eeking out a win. He's just so slow... and it doesn't help that I get no access to any of the item stash I'd built up as Akiyama x_x

Edgeward

No, just the same as before a trophy for knocking 100 down.

Saejima is easy once you knock an enemy down. Unlock his helicopter spin move, it's a charged triangle. I forget if you unlock in in the sewers helping out the master or if it's an upgrade. But knock an enemy down, time your charge so that you unleash it just as they are getting up, rinse and repeat. This is a handy tactic on most enemies and especially in the IF7 challenges save for 2 or 3 guys.

Also unlock his ability to makes his throws require less button presses, it'll then start working on bosses. I managed to beat Amon easily on Saejima's part just grabbing and throwing them.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This game has lotsa Segac music in it. I heard the PS:p2 theme! To bad they don't play the whole songs ;_;

Tanimura time! Start with 40,000 go right down to 5,000. Doh! I need cash! Seems like he's the weakest of the bunch but has lotsa heat right from the getgo to make up for it. Could be fun even if he seems like a jerk.

Edgeward said:
Saejima is easy once you knock an enemy down. Unlock his helicopter spin move, it's a charged triangle. I forget if you unlock in in the sewers helping out the master or if it's an upgrade. But knock an enemy down, time your charge so that you unleash it just as they are getting up, rinse and repeat.

I musta missed that move cause he only ever had a charge kick for me. The guys strong but I had alot of trouble with all of his fights including the last one. That one was total cheapness. The whole avoiding cops thing sucked even worse in this game then in prior ones. Run around the whole darn city to get to a location 20 feet from where you started... lame!

edit: How to stop a suicide jumper? Toss him off the building yourself! I love it!

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I hope Yakuza of the end will be this or more awesome, zombie sidequests :eek:

IrishNinja

beat the game last week, going back for the plat this one - ultimate challenges are kinda hard so far, 2nd one with Seajima is gonna take some effort on my end, i get down to like 20 dudes before time runs out. anyway, GOTG.

also: SegaBits says Yakuza 4 was the best selling PS3 game in japan in 2010! so awesome.

Mistouze said:
Finished it! 72 hours, 64,38%. Ending fights where stylish as fuck but on the story side I felt it lacked some crazyness but overall it's a great game. Now off to finish Kiryu's side missions and go for some trophies and crowns!

Daigo against Kiryu wasn't crazy enough?
Events leading to the ending really felt forced for me.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
valentine71 said:
Daigo against Kiryu wasn't crazy enough?
Events leading to the ending really felt forced for me.
Thing is, after 4 Yakuza games my expectations fo crazyness are fucked up. Where is
my non-descript foreing baddies group? No bare handed bull-fighting? But yeah at least their arrival at the top of Milennium Tower was badass if you can afford to blow 100 million yens in the air :lol And the new status quo at the end promises some heavy shit in the next episode hopefully

Replicant

&#31179;&#23665;&#12373;&#12435;&#12540;&#12390;&#12400;&#65281;&#65281;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;

Now that I've played all 4, I feel that Akiyama is the best in terms of combos. His is easy to execute and connect in comparison to the others.

Also, is the time after finishing all 4 characters story and before the final confrontation is the time to finish up all the sidequests? Or will I be given another time to do it after the game is completed?

Mistouze said:
Thing is, after 4 Yakuza games my expectations fo crazyness are fucked up. Where is
my non-descript foreing baddies group? No bare handed bull-fighting? But yeah at least their arrival at the top of Milennium Tower was badass if you can afford to blow 100 million yens in the air :lol And the new status quo at the end promises some heavy shit in the next episode hopefully

That scene is really awesome. All that money... But they looked so cool.

Replicant said:
&#31179;&#23665;&#12373;&#12435;&#12540;&#12390;&#12400;&#65281;&#65281;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;

Now that I've played all 4, I feel that Akiyama is the best in terms of combos. His is easy to execute and connect in comparison to the others.

Also, is the time after finishing all 4 characters story and before the final confrontation is the time to finish up all the sidequests? Or will I be given another time to do it after the game is completed?

Yes, before the final confrontation you will have a chance to finish all the sidequests. Also after you finish the game, you can start the premium adventure mode to complete everything (sidequests, coin lockers, hostess bar, fighter maker, etc.) and if you want to you can keep the stuff (items, money) you had in the story mode (if you do this, also you won't need to play the sidequests and other stuff you completed in story mode as far as i remember).

I'm three chapters in and already this is miles better than the piece of shit that was Yakuza 3. Not one orphan in sight!

Liking the focus of new characters, too. Feels fresh.

IrishNinja

man, some of these ultimate challenges really are tough.

the 2nd brawl (with Seajima), ive gotten it down to 15 guys before running out of time. im grabbing what weapons i can (mostly tasers and wooden sticks) but its just not happening.

the 7th trial - also Seajima, of course - i get to the last row of rocks to break and the boulders kill me while doing so. the square x 3 then hold triangle combo is really great, but not keeping me alive at that point.

and holy shit, fuck the 4th speed race with sugiuchi; i have to hustle just to get him down to about halfway of his fuel (if i manage to bump him from the side). there's gotta be an easier way to do this.

Replicant

valentine71 said:
Yes, before the final confrontation you will have a chance to finish all the sidequests. Also after you finish the game, you can start the premium adventure mode to complete everything (sidequests, coin lockers, hostess bar, fighter maker, etc.) and if you want to you can keep the stuff (items, money) you had in the story mode (if you do this, also you won't need to play the sidequests and other stuff you completed in story mode as far as i remember).

Ah, good to know. I'm stressing myself out trying to finish all the sidequests before the final boss fight while the truth is I just want to get into the final confrontation. On that note, will it be easy to fight the final boss with my characters only on level 20?

IrishNinja

Seajima, you fucking suck. i can't do better than 14 or so enemies left when the timer runs out...guide says feel free to use wooden sticks, but he just swings wildly and gets his ass beat when the crowd gets thick within the last 25 or so.
i should be using my heat gauge more, but im basically spamming square x3 and holding triangle or using weapons...i tried my old tactic (just hold triangle down and do the zangief lariat) but that's not cutting my time back much either.

got done with the trials and grudge matches, so its literally just these brawls and that bullshit-ass race with Sugiuchi while Tainumura has a boat that's clearly leaking oil at a rapid rate.

Mikhal

IrishNinja said:
the 2nd brawl (with Seajima), ive gotten it down to 15 guys before running out of time. im grabbing what weapons i can (mostly tasers and wooden sticks) but its just not happening.
In case you didn't know, Saejima has weapons in his inventory that can be equipped too. Also, you can ignore those annoying guys with a lot of life and focus on the weaker guys since they keep on spawning.

the 7th trial - also Seajima, of course - i get to the last row of rocks to break and the boulders kill me while doing so. the square x 3 then hold triangle combo is really great, but not keeping me alive at that point.
I thought that one was pretty easy once I realized you don't need to go after the rock walls with the dead end on the right in the 2nd part and just went straight to the left. You'll should have enough time at the end that way to break through the final walls. Just back off and let the boulders do their thing if a lot are falling and go for the walls when there isn't much. Once you get hit by a wave of em, you're pretty much screwed.

and holy shit, fuck the 4th speed race with sugiuchi; i have to hustle just to get him down to about halfway of his fuel (if i manage to bump him from the side). there's gotta be an easier way to do this.
Yeah. That one was annoying as hell. I used this for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNJ02Qhx3uk

Shakala

So, I played the Y4 demo and was trying to decide between it and the 3rd(which ultmately won out because it only cost 20). Now I wanna beat it quickly so I can get 4 after seeing your guys' enthusiasm :(

Shakala said:
So, I played the Y4 demo and was trying to decide between it and the 3rd(which ultmately won out because it only cost 20). Now I wanna beat it quickly so I can get 4 after seeing your guys' enthusiasm :(

Well, you can't go wrong with either game, at least.

IrishNinja

Mikhal said:
In case you didn't know, Saejima has weapons in his inventory that can be equipped too. Also, you can ignore those annoying guys with a lot of life and focus on the weaker guys since they keep on spawning.

Yeah. That one was annoying as hell. I used this for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNJ02Qhx3uk

i cant believe i didnt check his inventory. that's gonna do it, i bet.
watching video now, too - thanks a lot man!

Shakala - i did this too (got 3 free with part 4) and now i wanna go back and spend more time with 3 after i plat this one, cause if you've played the whole series, you really realize how the setting in 3 stood out, it's got a lotta charm. if anything, do like i did and knock out the main quest, then tackle 4!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm three chapters in and already this is miles better than the piece of shit that was Yakuza 3. Not one orphan in sight!

Liking the focus of new characters, too. Feels fresh.
Although, having said this, I'm at the start of chapter 4 now and this hostess stuff is fucking weird. Everything about it is really creepy and clearly designed for people who have no interaction with real women. I don't want to dress up a women for creepy dudes in a bar with all of that odd j-pop and sparkling menus.

It's completely unenjoyable too which makes it even worse. I never went to one hostess club in the first three games so it's kinda annoying I'm being forced to now to such a degree.

Replicant said:
Ah, good to know. I'm stressing myself out trying to finish all the sidequests before the final boss fight while the truth is I just want to get into the final confrontation. On that note, will it be easy to fight the final boss with my characters only on level 20?

Yes, isn't level 20 is all anyway? Because even now (playing through Premium Adventure) all of my chars. are around level 15 or so i think. Confrontation is mostly easy but have healing items on each character as there is no turning back (especially have many on Tanimura).

Foliorum Viridum said:
Although, having said this, I'm at the start of chapter 4 now and this hostess stuff is fucking weird. Everything about it is really creepy and clearly designed for people who have no interaction with real women. I don't want to dress up a women for creepy dudes in a bar with all of that odd j-pop and sparkling menus.

It's completely unenjoyable too which makes it even worse. I never went to one hostess club in the first three games so it's kinda annoying I'm being forced to now to such a degree.

Won't take too long, so don't give up.

Can you do Saejima's 4th Chapter quests at the end of the game? I don't feel like doing them while the cops are on high alert, but I dont want to continue the story if I'll miss them entirely.

I already did everything available in chapter 3

Mikhal

If you want to do them now, there's a time period after you make your way to the hideout (while on high alert), but before you talk to Kido to continue the story, where the police are back to their normal selves. Once you talk to him, you'll be back on high alert. Either way. you're safe to do everyone's substories later in the game though if you want. You won't miss anything.

Mikhal said:
If you want to do them now, there's a time period after you make your way to the hideout (while on high alert), but before you talk to Kido to continue the story, where the police are back to their normal selves. Once you talk to him, you'll be back on high alert. Either way. you're safe to do everyone's substories later in the game though if you want. You won't miss anything.

Perfect! I'm exactly at that point, so I'll do it now. Thanks

Flunkie said:
Just getting into the franchise: start with Yakuza 3 or 4?

IrishNinja said:
A: You totally can. Like every chapter before it, 4 has an excellent video recap of each prior title. Like any franchise, you won't be as emotionally invested in the plight of certain characters, but it's your call - having recently played through 1 and 2, i can tell you: 1 is often called the weakest of the series, and 2 was fantastic/superior on every level; if you get a chance, you should totally give it a go. On that note, reviews have said this one is up there with 2 as the series' finest, so that's good too.

4 is a superior game in my opinion. So i'd suggest that you play the 3rd game before this, so you'd enjoy both games more. But it's up to you. It has video recaps :)

IrishNinja

^yeah, 4 > 3 by a country mile, but its still worth going through 3. if idve done them out of order, i'dve regretted it.

got all the other challenges done! and holy ass balls the last ultimate skills challenge (ultimate match 5 - fight err'body) is a nightmare. i mean its not that hard to beat everybody again, but with a fucking time limit?! i get to kazuma's last fight and run outta time, likely because old-fuck Seajima takes forever to get his stuff done. the worst part is starting all over again...ive gotta tie this up tonight so i can finish mopping up and then get back to the next 2 playthroughs already. oh yeah, Amon too!

valentine71 said:
Won't take too long, so don't give up.
If I got through all of the orphan stuff in 3 I was always going to hurry myself through that section ;)

Was very, very weird though. A softcore porn game, it felt like. Pretty much everything that I dislike about Japanese culture summed up!

Aurelius

I appear to be royally stuck in Part 2, Chapter 2: The Tiger and the Dragon

The Fight against Kazuma. I just managed to make it through the prison part with slow ass Saejima , but have no heath items left. But that was a picnic compared to the a fight against a full powered Kazuma.

The prison part was bad enough with lots of enemies in tiny hallways, but this is a ridiculous difficulty spike that is made even more frustrating with the awful camera- and lock-on system. I punch in the air and Kazuma combo’s me into the ground, I get close and he graps me. I roll behind him, he counters. I get my ass kicked and am only able to take about 1cm of his health at most. I’m playing on hard, and contrary to Yakuza 3, there doesn’t appear to be an option to change the difficulty mid-game. Also annoying is that this fight is after a long cut scene which I have to watch every time I quit the game.

I always put up with the broken mechanics in previous Yakuza games because there was always a way around them (stacking up health supplies or changing the difficulty). 12 hours in, and I really enjoyed the game so far, but appears that I am now going to stop because of bad design. Grrrrr…

Any tips or cheap exploits?

IrishNinja

does anybody have a video on the last ultimate challenge match? i literally got to the last guy with about 1 minute on the clock but it wasn't enough; saejima and tainmora eat up most of my time and i know im using them inefficiently; this video showed me how to shave off a lotta time with Kaz (i still suck at parrying), really wish i could find one for those 2, cause Aki eats it up at less than a minute per fight but those guys just lag.

IrishNinja

you really are. did you play 1 & 2? again, you don gotta but it helps.

ultimate skill challenges complete! onto prepping for Amon fight, then final mop-up and next few playthroughs, cant wait to be onto that part. i'm so, so grateful those challenges didnt require a high ranking like i read 3's did, holy shit i barely skimmed by a few.

I'm on 2-3 now and I am really like the shift in character focus.

I felt a bit letdown by the
prison section though. The yard interaction seemed rushed (they just happened to have a chain and a hoe on them, and I easily managed to acquire a cigaratte and a lighter that was lying around) and the rest of it was basically running through copy and pasted corridors. A nice change in tone, but I would've liked a bit more time put in to it so I could absorb prison life and whatnot. I also got really annoyed by the amount of time that was spent on pointless talking when you were TRYING TO ESCAPE FROM PRISON. Yeah let's just call each other brothers when the guards are rushing to the yard...

I don't know, I suspend my disbelief a lot in this game, but I think it stood out to me as sub-par because I really liked the possibilities of changing the tone and setting of the game so drastically.

Also, I haven't said yet how fucking nice the cutscenes look in this game. I know in-game the visuals aren't anything special, but damn, they really are nice to watch.

IrishNinja

mopped up all non-Ex hard trophies, playing 2nd time on hard - i forgot how much i love Akiyama! god, he's awesome. so glad he's in Of The Dead.

just to be clear, now that i beat normal/got indomitable trophy, if i somehow fuck up, sissying out on ninja-dog easy mode for one fight wont stop Ex from opening, yeah?

also: debating going back to try 100% later, any particular challenges more enlightening for the plot? a number of sidequests were great for that.

ps besides war god talisman, any other must-have items to make ex hard more bearable? who should wear said talisman anyway?

ShadiWulf

Any Yakuza fans out there interested in winning some swag?
Support Yakuza & Win Yakuza Swag!

Yakuza Week @ SEGAbits

We are going to be giving out prizes provided by SEGA all week!

Day 1 of 6
Prize 1: A Yakuza 4 Branded Bowl & Yakuza game signed by SEGA Producer YAZ
Prize 2: A Yakuza 4 Art Book & Yakuza 4 branded chopsticks

head to SEGAbits to find out how to win!

Top Bottom