• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

Vlodril

Thanks for the help, finally managed to beat saito mainly by taking the hard to knockdown ability and standing in front of him , continually pounding him. Thanks god thats over.

Hope there arent any crazy fights like that again the lack of healing items hurt alot. Off to play some mahjong again :p

BeeDog

Can someone provide tips on how to beat The Legendary Blue Dragon as Akiyama? Kiryu's counter-attacks shave off tons of health, and I can't seem to come up with a good, safe strategy.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Get!

In before another 20 minute install~ z_z

edit:

Yakuza 3 install: 18 minutes
Yakuza 4 install: 14 minutes

Thats an improvement...

BeeDog said:
That "upgrade pack" DLC that was released today/yesterday, what does it do?

Thats what I wanna know! Since it came out like a month after the game is it something I should not play through the game with? The description is pretty terrible.

BeeDog

Mikhal said:

Thanks a lot, though I managed to beat him myself by using Akiyama's side-stepping ability.

Anyway, the DLC adds tons of free items that you can get from Bob B in Naomi's Palace in Premium Adventure Mode. All of it is probably worth one or two million yen (a good amount of weapons).

From one thing to another, does anyone know where you can get a Sledgehammer in the game? I need it to upgrade an item.

I feel weird. I'm not a chubby chaser, but I found Hana to be cute.

Also cute when you see her post-weight loss at the end, but it's not the same kind of cute

IrishNinja

hey, anyone know how to finish off the Green Shadow subquest for Saeijma? i got the cucumber dish from sushi gin's, now when i go back to children's park, there's no option to leave it; he just picks up the manhole, and there's nothing special down there.

IrishNinja said:
hey, anyone know how to finish off the Green Shadow subquest for Saeijma? i got the cucumber dish from sushi gin's, now when i go back to children's park, there's no option to leave it; he just picks up the manhole, and there's nothing special down there.

stand in front of (not on) the manhole, & press x...

Finally beat the game today. What a ride. Even drew about my love for it in the Paint thread. Final time was 60 hours, but at least 10 of those were idle tbh (why it counts paused and/or XMB time, I don't know). I'll probably check out a little bit of the Premium modes but I doubt I'll play through again, unless I can skip some cutscenes this time around.

But yeah, great game. Bashing people's heads in has never been so much fun.

Speaking of premium mode, does it have the same modes as was in 3? I've tried out the unlimited Colosseum battle and upon finishing I received nothing and came out with 1% health! So I didn't explore the others.

I wanna be able to earn money in challenges!

Kazzy

Closing in on the Platinum for this, finally nailed the Seven pairs trophy so all that if left is to go back through and complete it on Normal. I've burnt out on this over the past week or so, might leave it a little before making that final push.

Great game though, I say that after the 60+ hours I have put into it.

RZI

I just realized that I really want Majima's shoes.

EkTNo.jpg

Hag

My Kuro Edition arrived about two days or so and I've been playing every day for a few hours. I'm in the third part right now and holy shit the game is fucking godlike. Saejima TAIGA!1 and Akiyama are good characters.

I liked the side missions stuff, like the hostess training and the dojo guy with Saejima. I never really dig deep in the past Yakuza games (only in 1 i did like 100%) but I think I gonna platinum this bitch. :D

IrishNinja

working on tricking out hostesses/fashionista/business card stuff, as well as mahjong. i was thinking about pachinko king but ive got one get-rich card, i read if i get another in the next playthrough it'd make my life a lot easier. that's most of the mop-up trophies left for me.

then: to take on amon, and finish my first playthrough after that! 50+ hours in, so freaking good. still really hoping to get a date for Of The End out of sega @ E3.

I'm at the final chapter with only 20% trophies done, and that's with a few random sidequest things done already. This game is crazy... but I'll probably finish it soon and get it over with. It's a great game but if I'm going to grind endlessly for very little reward I'll just do it in Dynasty Warriors or WoW...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Got my first four hours of playing in today! The key radar is super handy and the "backstory" behind the lockers is just to funny. I notice bars and restaurants now put checkmarks next to stuff you've bought... that's gonna drive me nuts and want to try one of everything now! I'm finding it hard to adjust to Akiyamas fighting style, maybe I just need to unlock more moves. When do substories start showing up? I haven't run into one yet!

Just got this yesterday from gamefly and installed... have yet to play. Looking forward to it seeing as how much I enjoyed Y3.

Anything I should know heading into it that would help save time?

I3rand0

I didn't see this posted anywhere online but here's the pitches and speeds for the Normal Batting Cage. I only have 2 speeds, slow and fast.

Notation:

SK = Sinker
ST = Straight
C = Curve

20 Slow SK
19 Fast ST
18 Slow C
17 Fast ST
16 Slow C
15 Fast SK
14 Fast ST
13 Slow ST
12 Fast ST
11 Fast SK
10 Slow SK
9 Slow C
8 Fast ST
7 Slow C
6 Fast ST
5 Slow C
4 Slow ST
3 Fast ST
2 Slow C
1 Fast ST

Edgeward

Lindsay said:
Got my first four hours of playing in today! The key radar is super handy and the "backstory" behind the lockers is just to funny. I notice bars and restaurants now put checkmarks next to stuff you've bought... that's gonna drive me nuts and want to try one of everything now! I'm finding it hard to adjust to Akiyamas fighting style, maybe I just need to unlock more moves. When do substories start showing up? I haven't run into one yet!

You need to obtain a hideout first before sidequests become available, that's the same for every character

Just got this yesterday from gamefly and installed... have yet to play. Looking forward to it seeing as how much I enjoyed Y3.

Anything I should know heading into it that would help save time?

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/yakuza-4/99220-substory-guide-checklist.html

Use a guide for sidequests, not necessarily how to do them but on where they are and when they become available. Some of the places where they are activated can be obscure, like the last few for the Saejima's stuff for the brother and sister.

If you want to get all the foods eaten in restaurants checklist done, start early and always eat somewhere when you have any damage taken. Never drink alcohol unless your health is full, you can't eat while on full health but you can drink in bars regardless. And buy the magazine in the convenience store to unlock the secret food items in certain places' menus.

Hostess tips, always wear a charm bracelet or some kind that will get you half a heart at the start of every visit. Never buy drinks unless they like orange juice or beer, only two girls do btw. Never extend time, better to retry again so you get the half heart boost again on a new visit. Completing them nets you 10k xp, very useful and you will easily max out everyone once you do them and the sidequests.

I have a question about premium new adventure, does money and items get shared by everyone at the start, or do I have to wait till all are together again?

IrishNinja

Edgeward said:
I have a question about premium new adventure, does money and items get shared by everyone at the start, or do I have to wait till all are together again?

i also would like to know this.

2/3 hostesses are # 1, now to start all over for the last bumpkin! then its just mahjong, weapon modding, amon and i think beat the game the first time finally.

JEKKI

whooo~!! started playing again after like 5 days...

jus made it to chapter 3 on Kiriyu's part!!

I also have completed 19 substories... 1 more left til I get a achievement!!!

bender

What time is it?
I assume I'm nearing the end.

All my characters are finally together. The of the previous chapters had so many twists it made my head spin.

I wish it would rain more, it makes the city so lovely. This is easily my favorite game of this year. It almost makes me want to get Yakuza of the End after that dreadful demo.

Kazzy

Yeah, I really wish there was a way to toggle the weather, the rain looks great. If I'm guessing I think its because it empties the streets.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Hey guys, got a question about the ending. Especially helpful if you've played the Japanese version:

I was re-watching the epilogue after the credits on youtube, with a guy who was playing the Japanese version and translating as it went along. When it got to the part where it revealed the plaque with the new Saejima family name on it, he pointed out that is was "both their names" (Saejima and Majima, I take it). Was the kanji used half from Majima's name or something? Is this because he's the new lieutenant? Also, did anyone get the impression that it didn't do a very good job of stating that Daigo had been demoted (with him standing there at the end and all, and not really explicitly stating anything..).

Vlodril

Finally finished. Great game. Yakuza 3 and 4 have become my favorite japanese games of the last four-five years. Excellent job Sega. Got to be the ONLY game in existence where not only i do not hate the mini games i actually like most of them.

P.S. Akiyama rocks.

Sage00 said:
Also, did anyone get the impression that it didn't do a very good job of stating that Daigo had been demoted (with him standing there at the end and all, and not really explicitly stating anything..).
Wow, I certainly didn't catch that.

Carnby

I'm on the Finale chapter. And I'm doing side quests before I finish the game. I looked at my stats and I found this: Total Completion 32%. Total Time: 29.50 Hours.

I keep saying to myself, "just one more side quest, just one more level up." But I have to tap out. As much as I love this game, If I just don't go to the ending, I will never finish this game.

Got the platinum for this a couple of days ago. Wasn't expecting it to be so easy in comparison to the hellish torment that was the Yakuza 3 platinum, although having to tolerate so much of Hostess Maker in order to get all the business cards was excruciating.

I3rand0

Acquiescence said:
Got the platinum for this a couple of days ago. Wasn't expecting it to be so easy in comparison to the hellish torment that was the Yakuza 3 platinum, although having to tolerate so much of Hostess Maker in order to get all the business cards was excruciating.

Did you play EX-Hard without getting the golden gun? If so, how hard was it? I'm about halfway with the mini games but mahjong is kicking my ass.

hertog

just got the game, how in the hell does the massage mini game work?

The gauge just empties and then it's over, and I only saw a creepy baby

Yes, it's very easy. I would recommend playing it on hard.

And for the massage mini game you just have to repeatedly tap the X and O button to raise and lower the bar on the right. You have to keep it as high as possible, but you lose the game if the bar touches either end.

hertog said:
just got the game, how in the hell does the massage mini game work?

The gauge just empties and then it's over, and I only saw a creepy baby

once it blinks pink it starts to rise automatically, you need to keep hitting the cooldown button, and if it blinks blue it starts to go down radically so you need to keep hitting the heat button. And you need to keep it balanced and not let it go over the top or fall to the bottom.

The higher you keep the meter, the more points you get.

hertog

Noisepurge said:
once it blinks pink it starts to rise automatically, you need to keep hitting the cooldown button, and if it blinks blue it starts to go down radically so you need to keep hitting the heat button. And you need to keep it balanced and not let it go over the top or fall to the bottom.

The higher you keep the meter, the more points you get.

aah keep hitting it repeatedly

Just finished it. Goddamit that epilogue has me itching for the next proper Yakuza game
Kiryu back at the head of the Tojo, Saejima with his own family, I take it there was some proof that Saejima hadn't actually killed those people.

I'm glad they actually adressed the decline of the Tojo association, after so many inter-family wars and betrayals over the course of the previous 3 games, that board room was starting to look a little bare.

IrishNinja

tied up the hostesses/business card things today. man, it goes a lot faster when you scold them, then bring them back around, vs working on each stat individually.

what are the reqs for the golden gun? im looking into war god talisman and stuff to make my hard/ex-hard playthroughs easier.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
IrishNinja said:
tied up the hostesses/business card things today. man, it goes a lot faster when you scold them, then bring them back around, vs working on each stat individually.

what are the reqs for the golden gun? im looking into war god talisman and stuff to make my hard/ex-hard playthroughs easier.
In 3 you just had to do all the substories. Have you done that?

IrishNinja

all but amon, trying that tomorrow..hopefully that's it!

momolicious - it helps with the map of Kamurocho, still loading going in/out of buildings but once the man map loads it's great.

IrishNinja

ok, gonna have to plat without the golden gun, then. this is what stopped me from going for it in Y3: i don't want to have to hate the game.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I beat it!!!

26 hours, only 31% completion... dang this game is way too massive.

this game is a masterpiece!!

it's so good! you guys dont understand!!!

no actually you all do understand!! that's why you're all in here!!

we all understand each other!!

Yakuza 4!! GOTY!

Top Bottom