• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

klee123

JEKKI said:
I've been doing square x 5, triangle, Heat with Tanimura over n over again and I have yet to unlock a followup Heat move!!!

does he not have one for square x 5??? I got followups for all the other lower hit combos...

I also did a sidequest where I fought Maria's entourage of bodyguards named after bball players...

that was kinda cool I guess.

Don't think so since that is considered as an unlockable heat technique.

Mikhal

firehawk12 said:
Also, alternate costumes anyone? I feel like I'm missing an obvious menu option to change the costumes.
Go to any hideout in Premium mode, there should be a costume option in the room you save/move items in. Just select Change and choose a costume.
Edgeward said:
Tanimura's style is sooo good, like being able to just go into heat after a square combo. It just fucking sucks for IF7-R, I lost to the Akiyama and Saejima simulations because of a time over. I haven't found an attack that is as broken as Saejima's helicopter spin yet.
I find that parrying the enemy against the wall then just doing the Square -> Triangle combo works well since that backfist puts them in stun for a good amount of time. You can usually repeat it at least a few times before they fall on the ground depending on your timing. Just wait a bit before each Square -> Triangle.
JEKKI said:
I've been doing square x 5, triangle, Heat with Tanimura over n over again and I have yet to unlock a followup Heat move!!!

does he not have one for square x 5??? I got followups for all the other lower hit combos...

I also did a sidequest where I fought Maria's entourage of bodyguards named after bball players...

that was kinda cool I guess.
Square x5 does not have a followup. You can always just check whether your Heat moves have any unlockable followups by going to the Abilities menu and then pressing Triangle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mikhal said:
Go to any hideout in Premium mode, there should be a costume option in the room you save/move items in. Just select Change and choose a costume.
Ah yeah, there it is! Wrestling outfits ahoy.

Edgeward

Just finished Tanimura's chapter. My god the finale leading up to the boss fight was awesome, caught me off guard and amazed me at how ridiculous it was. And WHAT THE FUCK at the reveals at the end of his chapter too. Like jesus, you think after playing the other Yakuza games you would get used to the craziness and plot twists but shit I'm still reeling.

IrishNinja

wait where is/how to work the IF7-R? i really shouldn't pile on tasks now that im on chapter 4 and still have tons of trophies to mop up, but im curious.

JEKKI

Mikhal said:
You can always just check whether your Heat moves have any unlockable followups by going to the Abilities menu and then pressing Triangle.
awww yeay I jus noticed that coz I was lookin up how to do his other moves! =P

but man, all I gotta do is get on the freakin taxi to move the game forward...

but I cant!!! sidequests are too addicting and fun!!

I spent like past few hours just doing side mission!

Edgeward

IrishNinja said:
wait where is/how to work the IF7-R? i really shouldn't pile on tasks now that im on chapter 4 and still have tons of trophies to mop up, but im curious.

In the first floor of the underground theater, right next to the Saejima's hideout. You give him money to repair it, don't remember the exact numbers but you have to pay him in 3 installments to get the full use out of it. It's around 50,000(?) then 250k(?) then 500k. I'm only sure about the last amount, but just keep giving till it wont allow you to go higher each time.

IrishNinja

ah, cool - thanks man. what're the rewards for doing this? didn't see any trophies attached, hopefully you get something nice though.

JEKKI

You dont have what it takes to be a good cop!!
*bang*bang*
I always knew you would be a good cop!!

Best dialog of 2011 since fuck you and fuck your marker!!

I finished part 3!!!

now gotta put the game on the shelf for a few so I dont burn out on it... I'll be back!!!

GeoramA

IrishNinja said:
ah, cool - thanks man. what're the rewards for doing this? didn't see any trophies attached, hopefully you get something nice though.
If you input and beat all ten IF7-R bosses, you get the Ebisu Socks.

Equip them and you get 10 yen for each step you take.

Go_Ly_Dow

JEKKI said:
You dont have what it takes to be a good cop!!
*bang*bang*
I always knew you would be a good cop!!

Best dialog of 2011 since fuck you and fuck your marker!!

I finished part 3!!!

now gotta put the game on the shelf for a few so I dont burn out on it... I'll be back!!!

SEGA did an excellent job with the localization. The team deserves a pat on the back.

I've been watching someone play this on Justin stream.

This game has insane amounts of mini-games and side quests.

I'm really enjoying his play-through as it's his first.

I want to pick up this game now. =)

IrishNinja

man, those sound like handy socks.

towards the end of Chapter 4 (fucking awesome) and damn, i love you Akiyama but
your security system was pretty dumb. move a book, hit a button, turn a wheel, help yourself to a billion.

Clott

I just finished Yakuza 3 about 5 minutes ago, it was my first Yakuza game and all I wonder is what took me so freaking long. I didn't really dabble too much in the mini games because I knew they were waiting for me in the 4th one as well, but I managed to finish the Avenger side missions and about 35 of the side missions. How do the mini games compare in Yakuza 4?

Anyway it took me close to 30 hours to do everything I wanted to do, I already bought Yakuza 4 but I wonder if I jump in right now I will get burned out on the formula. I am thinking of letting it rest a few days and then jumping in.

Final Fantasy XIII has been eying me, and I have never given it a shot.

Edgeward

"White Lie" is the best sidequest. I don't care if you basically do nothing the entire time. It's so touching. Poor Chigusa ;_;

JEKKI

M_Night said:
SEGA did an excellent job with the localization. The team deserves a pat on the back.
see I never just did things jus to do them. cmon I mean what am I gonna do jus all of a sudden jus jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's like it's you know something to do cmon I got a little more sense than that.

yeay I remember grindin my feet on Eddie's couch.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
awww fuck, stupid policemen dont let me finish the Saejima sidestories.... guess I'll do it when I can change between characters.. Im now with the parasite, does he have cool substories?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dgenx said:
awww fuck, stupid policemen dont let me finish the Saejima sidestories.... guess I'll do it when I can change between characters.. Im now with the parasite, does he have cool substories?
Saejima should be able to walk past most of the police though. There's only one side mission that unlocks at the end of the game that he can't do.

And Tanimura has cool side stories - including the one that's connected to his training.

GeoramA

Edgeward said:
"White Lie" is the best sidequest. I don't care if you basically do nothing the entire time. It's so touching. Poor Chigusa ;_;
Oh god, that one. The message he left :(

Kiryu has a heart of gold to do what he did.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
firehawk12 said:
Saejima should be able to walk past most of the police though. There's only one side mission that unlocks at the end of the game that he can't do.

And Tanimura has cool side stories - including the one that's connected to his training.

dunno man, I walk and the says to be careful and go backs or something... anyway glad to know that I can still play the substories later!

bender

What time is it?
I finished Saejima's chapter. I don't think he's a bad character but I really didn't enjoy playing as him. He's a little slow and combat and
I really didn't like being sectioned off in the city by having patrols of police. Spending 10 minutes to get to the final mission in that chapter to travel half a block was silly.
The ending was great though.

After a bad first impression, Tanimura he seems like another strong character. I was actually impressed how quickly the tables were turned. I really thought I'd hate him based on the first few missions.

Mikhal

There's a window of opportunity to continue your substories with Saejima before finishing off his story.

It is after coming out of Purgatory/training fighters and going to your hideout, but before talking to Kido to continue the story. At this time, the police will revert to the usual easy chase ones like usual instead of the instant game overs.

Edgeward

All hostesses done! Shit took half the day just to finish Kiryu's girls. The Elise girls are the worst, the responses can be tricky and Kiyru likes saying the right thing to get the heart only to get a negative response with zero change. Grrrr, I dont like how they kept that about him from previous games, it's such a tease. I never had a response like that with the other two guys.

It blows my mind that my suspicions were right in that they went had recorded different girls to do different versions of the same karaoke song. That's fucking detail I appreciate and love.

JEKKI

I played sum other games today,

but all I can think of is Yakuza!!

I guess I shouldnt take a break from this game, it's too good!!!

klee123

Clocked 50 hours so far and still haven't finished the story mode yet. Been spending so many hours trying to make awesome weapons for everyone.

I've made the Great Dragon Spear for Tanimura so far and I'm planning to make the Dragon Nunchuku for either Akiyama or Kazuma. Gonna start working on a sword for Saejima too.

Finished the game with over 70 hours clocked. The side quests were awesome and barely touched the minigames.

I am thinking about platinuming the game. How long is a 2nd playthrough? Is EX Hard that hard?

BeeDog

MiniBossBattle said:
Finished the game with over 70 hours clocked. The side quests were awesome and barely touched the minigames.

I am thinking about platinuming the game. How long is a 2nd playthrough? Is EX Hard that hard?

EX Hard is incredibly easy if you unlock the secret weapon (which you probably will do if you want to platinum the game). It's essentially an auto-win button.

BeeDog said:
EX Hard is incredibly easy if you unlock the secret weapon (which you probably will do if you want to platinum the game). It's essentially an auto-win button.

Secret weapon? I have been using my fists the whole time (unless there are bicycles around).

BeeDog

MiniBossBattle said:
Secret weapon? I have been using my fists the whole time (unless there are bicycles around).

I myself don't have the weapon yet, but from what I've gather (I could be wrong), you
get the Golden Gun when finishing ALL character side-quests (incl. the hidden bosses). It has unlimited ammo, and carries over to an EX Hard run.

done!...

man, but i do love yakuza games! :) finale was a bit all over the place (which's saying something for this series), but it was a blast playing as characters other than kiryu (i'm pretty sure i would've enjoyed the game just as much if he hadn't even made an appearance). as much as i liked akiyama, i thought tanimura's fighting style, story, & side-missions were the best of the lot - definitely a surprise...

all praise & thanks to sega/nagoshi!...

(insert mandatory 'of the end' (&, while you're at it, kenzan! & black panther) localization request here)

Mikhal

BeeDog said:
I myself don't have the weapon yet, but from what I've gather (I could be wrong), you
get the Golden Gun when finishing ALL character side-quests (incl. the hidden bosses). It has unlimited ammo, and carries over to an EX Hard run.
You actually need to
complete all the minigames in Yakuza 4 to get that unlike the other games in the series.
You get something else for doing what you said.

Edgeward

I fucking beat Amon! Goddamn does it feel so good, I nearly rage'd when my whole life was taken away in that cheap ass explosion of his, but I got him on my second try. It was definitely still tougher as Akiyama though, since he doesn't have the grab ability of Saejima or the backfist/heat combo of Tanimura, I had a bitch of a time even touching him.

And those fuckers destroyed my weapons in one hit! My poor Sakura Storm. ;_;

Now I just need to find a way to level up Saejima just one more level with all his sidequests done. Any tips on getting exp?

GeoramA

Edgeward said:
I fucking beat Amon! Goddamn does it feel so good, I nearly rage'd when my whole life was taken away in that cheap ass explosion of his, but I got him on my second try. It was definitely still tougher as Akiyama though, since he doesn't have the grab ability of Saejima or the backfist/heat combo of Tanimura, I had a bitch of a time even touching him.

And those fuckers destroyed my weapons in one hit! My poor Sakura Storm. ;_;

Now I just need to find a way to level up Saejima just one more level with all his sidequests done. Any tips on getting exp?
IF7-R and Coliseum fighting. With these, I got Saejima and Kiryu to lvl 20 in no time.

Edgeward

Turns out the final battle got me to level 20 with Saejima, I fucked up the QTE with him so I didn't see the special end sequence to his fight. =(

Ending was just okay, although I'm not sure how it could be better considering the how the plot was going.

I forgot to mention that the trophy for Business Card Hunter did not unlock for me. And I already romanced every single one the girls too, so even if they meant VIP cards I still got them all, yes even the ones in Elise. Anyone know of this problem and if anything can be done?

MiniBossBattle said:

wow :D well atleast you can make the EX-hard mode a little quicker for you by using a lot of weapons. I never went into a big fight without a Tazer, a baseball bat and a gun :D

Vlodril

I cant for the life of me get a handle on saejima's fighting. I put the game on hard since Yakuza 3 was too easy on normal and i am getting my ass kicked every since it jumped to him. I manage wasting mos potions to get to the final battle with saito and 6-7 of his guards and they are killing me over and over. Manage to kill off his guards and bring him down with the wooden sword one of the guard has but after that saito owns me.

So frustrating i had to stop playing for tonight. There doesnt seem to be an option to change the difficulty as well(jap developers need to get on with the times).

Vlodril said:
I cant for the life of me get a handle on saejima's fighting. I put the game on hard since Yakuza 3 was too easy on normal and i am getting my ass kicked every since it jumped to him. I manage wasting mos potions to get to the final battle with saito and 6-7 of his guards and they are killing me over and over. Manage to kill off his guards and bring him down with the wooden sword one of the guard has but after that saito owns me.

So frustrating i had to stop playing for tonight. There doesnt seem to be an option to change the difficulty as well(jap developers need to get on with the times).

I think after you get beaten (dead, failed,etc) few times, the game does asks you that if you want to lower the difficulty.

fernoca

Men of Yakuza Dynamic theme is up for PS Plus subscribers (and for "free")...and it's nice. :) .....and there's also a new "DLC" called 'Upgrade Pack', which says lets you increase strentgh and stamina further and build your relationship with Haruka to a higher level. Is an 108kb download though.

Red Blaster said:
This is one of the more non-sequitur posts I've seen in a while.

Yeah I heard Mass Effect 2 was good. I enjoyed KOTOR but I hated Street Fighter 4.

I've been told it's like Shenmue + heavy rain + fighting games :( wtf

IrishNinja

aw man, nice avatar! y2kev = best mod.

Vlodril said:
I cant for the life of me get a handle on saejima's fighting.

someone else here told me this helpful bit: try just holding down triangle. his charged spinning lariat thing clears most rooms, and even works great one-on-one, im currently owning my way through the colosseum with it.

fernoca said:
Men of Yakuza Dynamic theme is up for PS Plus subscribers (and for "free")...and it's nice. :) .....and there's also a new "DLC" called 'Upgrade Pack', which says lets you increase strentgh and stamina further and build your relationship with Haruka to a higher level. Is an 108kb download though.

good looking out! i grabbed the theme, and it is indeed nice, was happy to finally change out my Heavy Rain one. didnt see the new DLC, ill grab it tomorrow for sure - thanks man!

teacupcopter said:
I've been told it's like Shenmue + heavy rain + fighting games :( wtf

who told you that, though? there's not much Heavy Rain in here at all, is the thing. its Shenmue-like, but instead of a Virtua Fighter combat engine, its more old-school beat-em-up, with you picking up objects & bashing the crap out of random street thugs, to level and learn new awful ways to knock their teeth out, literally. it's a blast, and each character has their own unique fighting style too.
if it helps, think more Streets of Rage than Street Fighter.

Trevelyon

wnUd9.jpg

Certainly not as tough and grind heavy as 3, but still a decent challenge.

dgenx

Almost 75 hours in and im now doing Tanimura's sidequests , and to think I still have 1 character more to explore :eek:

Trevelyon

Um, probably 'Seven Pairs' since its entirely luck based, don't think any proficiency in Mahjong can necessarily help all that much. Just gotta wait for a killer hand, with 4 or more existing pairs before giving this one a real go, which can me be a matter of minutes or hours.

Other than that, nothing really took me task, now if they included doing all the challenges like Yak3 for a trophy, that would've been a entirely different story.

Trevelyon

Probably under 5 hours for both, of course with cutscenes turned off and my finger on the X button. Have a healthy stock of Stanima Royales, regardless of your equipment and you'll sleep walk through it, just save fairly regularly in EX in case you slip up, so you won't fall too far back.

BeeDog

That "upgrade pack" DLC that was released today/yesterday, what does it do?

Also, I wanted to ask, how many times can one do the IF7R challenges and still earn HEAT upgrades? Is it once per enemy and character, or...?

Top Bottom