• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

I will be buying this game to support Japan. <3

JABEE said:
Are there going to be a lot of copies of this available tomorrow? I didn't pre-order it.

Wouldn't see why not, it's not a game that's in high demand.

graywolf323

picked up my reserved copy from GameStop at midnight but haven't decided yet if I'll actually keep it

might return it for now and buy it again in a month once I've gotten a couple paychecks from my new job under my belt

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
black_vegeta said:
I will be buying this game to support Japan. <3

Wouldn't see why not, it's not a game that's in high demand.
Which means they might not have shipped a lot of copies. I remember when Yakuza 2 came out my local store only got the copy I reserved in and no extras

TheExodu5

Banned
Reposting:

So although I have Yakuza 3, I still never really got around to playing it. I will be picking up Yakuza 4 regardless.

Can I just go ahead and play Yakuza 4, or is it better to play 3 first? Is the story a continuation, or completely self contained?

Larsen B

4, like 3, has story recaps of what has happened previously so you can jump in here - it is a self-contained story in the lives of continuing characters. Obviously the characters will all be new to you and it might get confusing, especially with regards to the relationships between them.

My steelbook has been sent. This weekend will be good.

Day off tomorrow. Game arrives today. Its going to be one LONG night and im all about that at this point. God damn I can't wait. Love this series to death.

JABEE said:
Are there going to be a lot of copies of this available tomorrow? I didn't pre-order it.

I work at a small local chain video game store in VA and we got 9 copies in. In comparison, we got 2 copies of Hyperdemension Neptunia.

TheExodu5 said:
Reposting:

Yakuza 4 is a sequel and the story is told through four characters instead of one like Yakuza 3. 4 also has slight gameplay improvements over 3, like leveling up. You'll appreciate the returning characters in 4 more if you start with 3, kind of like seeing old friends at a reunion.

It's not a disaster if you play/finish 4 before 3, but I'd recommend starting with 3.

TheExodu5

Banned
Square Triangle said:
I cannot believe Yakuza fans are complaining about a printed box on the cover art. Have you forgotten about Yakuza 3?
It just pains me because this is some of the best box art out there, and it's marred by a cheap marketing blip.

Since I'm in Canada, the box is also double the size, most likely.

Clott

Okay, what do I do?

I have never played a yakuza game for one or another reason, I dont really know why because the setting is right up my alley and I am a huge shenmue fan, yeah I know they are only kind of similar. I am not going to go back and play the PS2 ones because my backlog is already bad enough as it is.

Do I start at 3 or just go for the freshest entry in the series? And why?

But the first two are soo fun! The third entry is really fun and the recaps suck, so I'd start on Yakuza 3 but would totally take advantage of Bestbuy.com's $39.99 price on Yakuza 4 now.

Clott

Square Triangle said:
But the first two are soo fun! The third entry is really fun and the recaps suck, so I'd start on Yakuza 3 but would totally take advantage of Bestbuy.com's $39.99 price on Yakuza 4 now.
Will do, link please?

Canova

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
It just pains me because this is some of the best box art out there, and it's marred by a cheap marketing blip.

Since I'm in Canada, the box is also double the size, most likely.

yeah I saw the box in FutureShop, and it's a freaking huge label. I'm considering importing the UK version now

Boogie9IGN

188506_10150462281250002_785005001_17638797_5856272_n.jpg

Just freed up some HD space on the PS3, time to kick some aaaaaaaaaaass

Also my friend just bought me New Battles Without Honor Or Humanity 1-3, gonna watch that this weekend to go along with Yakuza. It's gonna be a badass weekend of brutality

GeoramA

Should've waited and bought from Best Buy. Kinda pissed that I bought from Amazon with ZERO incentives. Not even $10 credit...ugh.

Every time I buy a full-priced game it ALWAYS ends up biting me in the ass.

I'm super tempted to jump on this Best Buy deal even though I've already got a rental copy in the mail from Gamefly.

I haven't even played Yakuza 3 yet even though I bought on day one last year out my blind love for Y1 & Y2.

I guess I should just buy it to support Sega, right?

Noticing that people are getting copies today, did this one ship early? Non-major releases typically arrive at stores on Wednesday.

GeoramA said:
Should've waited and bought from Best Buy. Kinda pissed that I bought from Amazon with ZERO incentives. Not even $10 credit...ugh.

Every time I buy a full-priced game it ALWAYS ends up biting me in the ass.

well, atleast you supported the game 100%!

zoner said:
Which means they might not have shipped a lot of copies. I remember when Yakuza 2 came out my local store only got the copy I reserved in and no extras

True.

I just ordered my copy from BB, thank you $20.00 off.

Kikujiro

Clott said:
Okay, what do I do?

I have never played a yakuza game for one or another reason, I dont really know why because the setting is right up my alley and I am a huge shenmue fan, yeah I know they are only kind of similar. I am not going to go back and play the PS2 ones because my backlog is already bad enough as it is.

They are not very long game and they are fun. I recommend you to play all of them (2 is especially great), it's worth it, you get to love the characters.

Man I really want this game but I know that I wont have much time to play it so its hard to spend even 40 bucks, hmm.

Will I be able to watch all of the cutscenes on youtube?

Don't forget guys, K-Mart is offering Yakuza 3 for free with purchase of Yakuza 4. Between that and this Best Buy deal, there is NO reason to wait people!

mattp

when my 60gb ps3 went ylod on me i lost like 30 hours of progress in yakuza 3. i havent had the time or will to redo it all :(
i wish i had finished it, i don't wanna play 4 without finishing 3

Dwayne

Clott said:

Either way you're going to play 2 games and not the other 2, why not start at the start so it all makes more sense in the unlikely (likely) event you play all 4? I just finished Yakuza 1 & 2 in the last couple of weeks, they totally hold their own and are a ton of fun.

IrishNinja

Boogie9IGN said:
Also my friend just bought me New Battles Without Honor Or Humanity 1-3, gonna watch that this weekend to go along with Yakuza. It's gonna be a badass weekend of brutality

haha, awesome!
just got mine, will post up tonight. first kmart didnt get a shipment today (?), second one had it + part 3 in stock. i dont know if i got the $10 reward thing, but i walked out quite happy. so much ass kicking ahead of me.

Top Bottom