• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

IrishNinja

aw, see, now im a little sad i didnt get a dynamic theme. wasnt crazy @ hostesses but i wanted a yakuza one to replace my old Heavy Rain one, heh.

Seriously GAF, it's going to be a late night for me playing this. I can't wait to play that awesome opener again (Yes some may say its slow, I think its fucking awesome). And god damn, Hostesssssss club goodness!

depths20XX

Damn, wish I didn't pre-order at GS.

I guess I get a dynamic theme? If they even remember to give me that. Has anyone got theirs from GS yet? Do they give you a code on the receipt?

RedSwirl

depths20XX said:

I guess I get a dynamic theme? If they even remember to give me that. Has anyone got theirs from GS yet? Do they give you a code on the receipt?

The code comes in the box of every new copy of the game. I just got mine from Best Buy and still got the code.

Same thing happened when I bought Yakuza 3 new a few days after it came out.

I transfered my GS pre-order to get a Gears 3 code.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Guess I'll get this at BB instead of Kmart. The $15 off from DQVI can be used for something else now and I didn't need a second copy of Y3 anyways.

Question: is the Y1/2 recaps exactly the same as the ones they used in Y3? Normally I'd watch recaps no matter what but if they're the same and I saw 'em about a month ago I'd save some time and just skip 'em.

graywolf323

depths20XX said:

the dynamic theme comes on the receipt and is exclusive to GameStop

just pick up your reserve if you want the theme and then return the sealed copy back to GameStop :p (that's what I did and then bought it from Best Buy)

kiryogi

Banned
graywolf323 said:
the dynamic theme comes on the receipt and is exclusive to GameStop

just pick up your reserve if you want the theme and then return the sealed copy back to GameStop :p (that's what I did and then bought it from Best Buy)

But...

RedSwirl said:
The code comes in the box of every new copy of the game. I just got mine from Best Buy and still got the code.

Same thing happened when I bought Yakuza 3 new a few days after it came out.

I transfered my GS pre-order to get a Gears 3 code.

Don't know what to think D:

androvsky

kiryogi said:
But...

iirc, all new copies are supposed to come with a code for the extra costumes and battle arena DLC, which is probably what Redswirl saw. The dynamic theme is supposed to be Gamestop only.

Yuterald

I've got over 6 hours logged and I am still playing through Part I with Akiyama. This game is soooooo fucking awesome. It really does feel like the culmination of all their ideas wrapped up in a slick, tight package. Everything just feels refined and figured out from the menu designs to combat. I have been a fan of these games since the original and I am just brewing with love for this game.

Without spoiling too much, I LOVE how so far the quests seem entirely geared to what your character is about. All sidequests for Akiyama so far relate to loans and you learn a great deal about his history from doing them. These quests also bring out a lot more traits in both Akiyama and Hana. This game just feels so focused and dead on. I honestly feel like it's the perfect Yakuza game and I am sure it's only going to get better! =)

BeeDog

I should be getting my copy from GAME any day now. Before I even start, I would like to ask: are any trophies missable this time around? Yakuza 3 handled all trophies beautifully, but I hope Y4 doesn't add some missable ones in the mix.

Yuterald

BeeDog said:
I should be getting my copy from GAME any day now. Before I even start, I would like to ask: are any trophies missable this time around? Yakuza 3 handled all trophies beautifully, but I hope Y4 doesn't add some missable ones in the mix.

I know the game still has the premium adventure mode and new game+ option so I'm sure you can't miss anything in the long run. I scanned gamefaqs.com and it seemed most importers claim that there is nothing to be missed. I think it's safe to say that once again you can enjoy this game without having to worry about anything. =)

BeeDog

Yuterald said:
I know the game still has the premium adventure mode and new game+ option so I'm sure you can't miss anything in the long run. I scanned gamefaqs.com and it seemed most importers claim that there is nothing to be missed. I think it's safe to say that once again you can enjoy this game without having to worry about anything. =)

Thanks for the fast reply, that's good to hear.

With new horror messages from Japan by the hour, I'm not sure I can play this game right away. Laugh at me all you want, but it would feel out of place to me.

Clott

I took your advice and just ordered Yakuza 3 from amazon and Yakuza 4 from BestBuy.

How long is it going to take me to get through part 3? I am really looking forward to get into these games, I feel these are games that tend to be hard to review in the "you either get it or you don't" dynamic.

RedSwirl

kiryogi said:
But...

Apparently the code is just the in-game extra content. You get that no matter where you buy the game. The dynamic theme might be GS exclusive but I'm not paying $20 more for it.

Anyway, just looking at this game in my hand reminds me what a good box art can really do for a game. It makes me feel good about buying it. Even the extras box doesn't look that bad on the front.

GrayFoxPL

Clott said:
I took your advice and just ordered Yakuza 3 from amazon and Yakuza 4 from BestBuy.

How long is it going to take me to get through part 3? I am really looking forward to get into these games, I feel these are games that tend to be hard to review in the "you either get it or you don't" dynamic.

Depends how much sideline shit you wanna do. I say about 20h.

Kazzy

I completely forgot about this getting released so soon, I take it the fancy steelbook edition is exclusive to game in the UK?

It's the exact same price as the standard copy so thats good news.

As someone who was lukewarm on the last Yakuza, I am enjoying this so much more. I'm still in the first act but it's nice to see a character who is no so stoic all the time. Also the battle challenges are awesome and help to simplify the level up system.

Hopefully Of The End will be released eventually and we will get it in North America.

kiryogi

Banned
Ive said it before and will say it again. Akiyama rocks! And I honestly think this is probably the best entry to date.

DJChuy

IrishNinja said:
aw, see, now im a little sad i didnt get a dynamic theme. wasnt crazy @ hostesses but i wanted a yakuza one to replace my old Heavy Rain one, heh.

Heh, I forgot GS was offering that as a pre-order bonus. Just dug out my receipt from the trash, and the code's there.

Just finished the first act; I'm not liking the story, mainly because I don't know anything about the characters.
Why should I care that another clan is partying in their turf? Not my problem.
Then again, I wasn't enjoying Y3's story at first, but ended up loving it. Hopefully, this is the same case.

The gameplay is pretty fun though, and I like that fights have challenges in them. It makes them more interesting, and it's easier to get experience pts. Akiyama's fighting style is pretty awesome. Also discovered some interesting stuff with NPCs like the friendship.

Have fun as hell so far. This is such a great franchise and I hate the US gamers for not getting into it.

Did anyone notice
When Arai was shot, the revolver used only had five bullet slots? Idk why that bothered me so much lol

Du2andal

Banned
If you live near a Frys, they now price match any major online retailer. Best Buy was back ordered so I went to Frys and grabbed it for 39.99 with no issues.

Du2andal said:
If you live near a Frys, they now price match any major online retailer. Best Buy was back ordered so I went to Frys and grabbed it for 39.99 with no issues.

Best Buy's price is in-store as well fyi.

lucius

I like playing as the first character and I think I am on his last chapter. I don't really want to change to another character and play as them. I guess I will now see if the other characters stack up.

IrishNinja

DJChuy said:
Heh, I forgot GS was offering that as a pre-order bonus. Just dug out my receipt from the trash, and the code's there.

aw, man - you use it yet? ill paypal you a few bucks to try it out!
gameshare that shit!

2pq6ypl.jpg

gonna be a fine weekend. also, i'm off to the PS3 redesign thread to switch out 3's cover, please believe.

oh no how did those 2 get up there?!

kiryogi said:
Ive said it before and will say it again. Akiyama rocks! And I honestly think this is probably the best entry to date.

Akiyama is an awesome character so far. I really thought I would miss playing as Kazuma(and I do) but not as much with Akiyama being such a badass.

got to the second character.

holy shit. this game is thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. gameplay EVERYWHERE, and the constant character references

the first revelation was incredible. mack's voice is hilarious. MMMYYAYYYYYAAARRRR

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
quinntendopower said:
got to the second character.

holy shit. this game is thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. gameplay EVERYWHERE, and the constant character references

the first revelation was incredible. mack's voice is hilarious. MMMYYAYYYYYAAARRRR
Eddie Murphy is my favorite Yakuza character

I'm not very far in (5 or 6 hours), but this game is fantastic so far. At this point, I'm liking it a HELL of a lot more than Yakuza 3. Akiyama is a great character and his fighting style is very fun, all of the side stories have been great, the hostess management is a nice diversion (and on a side note, is that how the Idolmaster games play? Could be fun), revelations are back and remain awesome. So far this game is everything I could want out of this series. I'd say there's a good chance this could top Yakuza 2, but I'll have to wait and see. Loving it so far though.

Top Bottom