• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
In the OP it says Sega and Namco games then only mentions VF2. What other arcade games are there?

Stuart444

That quiz sub-story was a little difficult. Had to google a few of the questions >_<.

Also that Ramen mini-game gets hard near the end >_<

I think the Math question was mistranslated (maybe? I'm bad at math),
there was no "Six in thirty six" which was the correct answer according to the guy, only Seven in thirty six. (I forget what the Japanese version had it as but I'm assuming mistranslation) - it still says I got 4/5 right though so maybe all answers were wrong and it wasn't a mistranslation? I don't know lol.

That quiz sub-story was a little difficult. Had to google a few of the questions >_<.

Also that Ramen mini-game gets hard near the end >_<

I think the Math question was mistranslated (maybe? I'm bad at math),
there was no "Six in thirty six" which was the correct answer according to the guy, only Seven in thirty six. (I forget what the Japanese version had it as but I'm assuming mistranslation) - it still says I got 4/5 right though so maybe all answers were wrong and it wasn't a mistranslation? I don't know lol.

6/36 is reducible (I completely forgot the correct maths term for it) to 1/6 by dividing the top and bottom by six

Got a good couple of hours in after work, after waiting a good 4 hours or so to download and install it D;

Managed a bit of the story, then just explored for a bit and cleared up the available side quests. I still suck at fishing.

6/36 is reducible (I completely forgot the correct maths term for it) to 1/6 by dividing the top and bottom by six

Can't remember if it's the proper term for it but we used to refer to it as 'simplifying' fractions. But yeah,
6/36 is the same as 1/6

What was the English question again?

Math -
I figured that one out as above
History -
India was part of the British Empire so I figured they'd be allied with the Brits against the Germans
Physics -
Took a guess on this one. Gravitational potential, or whatever it was sounded right but I thought maybe it was a trick.
Latin -
I don't think I've ever gone from 'oh fuck' to 'I've got this' as fast.

I need to stop getting into random battles, I'll get nothing done, but I love wrecking guys so much.

Also are all the plates you get from them pawn shop fodder or will they be needed for anything later?

Stuart444

What was the English question again?

Math -
I figured that one out as above
History -
India was part of the British Empire so I figured they'd be allied with the Brits against the Germans
Physics -
Took a guess on this one. Gravitational potential, or whatever it was sounded right but I thought maybe it was a trick.
Latin -
I don't think I've ever gone from 'oh fuck' to 'I've got this' as fast.

Something about a spider using locomotion with the answer being "Movement"

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

You think that's bad? One of the customers in the taxi missions will ask you straight up "Nobody who doesn't live in Japan will know any of this shit" questions. Fortunately it doesn't matter if you get them right or not.

Stuart444

You think that's bad? One of the customers in the taxi missions will ask you straight up "Nobody who doesn't live in Japan will know any of this shit" questions. Fortunately it doesn't matter if you get them right or not.

Yeah, I posted that on the other page. Wasn't too bad. I quickly checked up on the Ichigo Ichie answer and the others, my fiancee knew so it wasn't too bad.

But I did go "what the hell" at the straight up Romaji style question haha.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ah it feels like coming home playing this. Only spent a few hours playing but it's the Yakuza I know and love to bits. I'm going to spend so much time on this :)

Loving the humour already, made me laugh loads of times. Especially when you're in the taxi and the passenger is a policeman who goes 'RACE THAT BASTARD!' and give you permission to speed. Love it.

JPS Kai

Today I'm learned I'm just as terrible at Shogi as ever.

Today I also learned
Shogidokoro is an amazing program for simulating shogi matches and helped me beat the guy at the river all three times for a 30,000 yen bonus.

Today I also learned
Shogidokoro is an amazing program for simulating shogi matches and helped me beat the guy at the river all three times for a 30,000 yen bonus.

I'll shall remember this for future reference.

So in the driving stuff
how do I unlock the outrun music and other music I have heard about? I've only done like 2 races, do I have to do more?

JPS Kai

So in the driving stuff
how do I unlock the outrun music and other music I have heard about? I've only done like 2 races, do I have to do more?

Someone mentioned
ordering it through your phone but I haven't unlocked any other stores besides M. I'm guessing you have to visit a particular store and get a web address sent to your phone.

spend 15 credits to get a miku figurine at the ufo catcher. And I hate miku. What is going on ? What is this sorcery ? this game is addicting

Kensuke

Today I also learned

How did you download Shogidokoro? Isn't it in Japanese?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just an FYI, if anyone's worried about potentially missable trophies, there's only two things I know of that can cause you to miss trophies that you can't get without starting a new game:

There's certain items used in weapon upgrading/modification that you only get once per playthrough, so don't sell anything that might have a use (most of this stuff usually tells you in the description that "you might be able to use it for it".

There's a certain point in Haruka's chapter where the story continues whether you win or lose a particular story-related dance battle. You have to win it for the trophy. So just be sure not to lose anything, and re-load if you do.

Someone mentioned
ordering it through your phone but I haven't unlocked any other stores besides M. I'm guessing you have to visit a particular store and get a web address sent to your phone.
Yeah I saw that. But I think I have been to every shop. No joy.

You have to do a few races against the Devil Killers first. Anyway this taxi mission where you gotta follow the white car is some bullshit. Keep getting stopped by pedestrians while it gets away.

JMFangio

Someone mentioned

You need to talk to the other taxi drivers in the office, one of them gives you a cd and unlocks the music store on your phone.

Kensuke

I wasn't too worried with my minimal Japanese comprehension, but I was able to get it running in English.

Here are the two links I used: http://www.geocities.jp/shogidokoro/download.html and http://www2.teu.ac.jp/gamelab/SHOGI/SPEAR/SpearShogidokoro2009.zip (I put Spear inside of the Engine folder)

Ah, thanks. I'll probably give it a try later if I get too frustrated. I beat the guy at the river twice, but he seems impossibly strong the third time. I'm a super amateur of course.

Zoom function of the map is still awful but marking side quests is such an improvement.

Are taxi driver race gangs actually a thing in Japan? Lol.

WaterAstro

Watching Gametrailers play this.

Man, I don't want to get my PS3 out, but I want to...

Is this seriously not on PSNow?

Buying this weekend. I'm still replaying 2, so I figure that if I spend at least two hours rushing through the story and partaking in the main quest, I'll be finished with it in like a month. And if I do the same for 4, I'll be able to play 5 in February!

I really like how they've changed the hostess clubs for this game. They're a lot more interactive now.

I thought they were pretty easy for the most part, but the physics one I had to google.

Top Bottom