• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

JPS Kai

Okay, clearly I'm missing something. Been a while since I played yakuza 3 or 4, but I seem to have forgotten something important when it comes to combat because I keep dying to those goons you fight in the beginning of the game when you're in the hostess bar. They just block and counter and wail on me while i'm stunlocked. What am I missing?

X to dodge/sidestep. Level up and put points into evasion skills. Meet up with Sosuke and do some training with him to learn new moves.

Okay, clearly I'm missing something. Been a while since I played yakuza 3 or 4, but I seem to have forgotten something important when it comes to combat because I keep dying to those goons you fight in the beginning of the game when you're in the hostess bar. They just block and counter. What am I missing?

same thing happened to me. the first night i was stuck about 2 hours trying to beat those guys. i have my difficulty setting on "hard." i started all over and brought some health drinks before arriving.
(just really needed one health drink)

once you get past them the curve is much easier right after.

Edzi

same thing happened to me. the first night i was stuck about 2 hours trying to beat those guys. i have my difficulty setting on "hard." i started all over and brought some health drinks before arriving.
(just really needed one health drink)

once you get past them the curve is much easier right after.

X to dodge/sidestep. Level up and put points into evasion skills. Meet up with Sosuke and do some training with him to learn new moves.

I'm dumb and forgot there was a dodge button. Thanks.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Quick question for anyone who's been doing Komaki's training:
For the part where he leaves the training area, where do you find him? I was hitting X a bit too fast and didn't catch where Kiryu said he'd look around for him.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for anyone who's been doing Komaki's training:
For the part where he leaves the training area, where do you find him? I was hitting X a bit too fast and didn't catch where Kiryu said he'd look around for him.

Usually at the bottom right of the map. You'll be able to tell as there's a small figure on the map and when you move the cursor over it it says 'Master'. I'm pretty certain I saw it at the top left of the map as well.

Okay, clearly I'm missing something. Been a while since I played yakuza 3 or 4, but I seem to have forgotten something important when it comes to combat because I keep dying to those goons you fight in the beginning of the game when you're in the hostess bar. They just block and counter and wail on me while i'm stunlocked. What am I missing?

Just pick up tables and beat the shit out of them that way. I just used everything around the arena like I usually do in a Yakuza game :p

When and where should you get the rewards for having Y3-4-DS savegames? I just had the time to start Y5 yesterday but I didn't have any item in my inventory, even though I finished all 3 previous games (western editions)

raven777

When and where should you get the rewards for having Y3-4-DS savegames? I just had the time to start Y5 yesterday but I didn't have any item in my inventory, even though I finished all 3 previous games (western editions)

When you start a new game there is a message pops up saying you got certain item for having save file of Y3 and Y4. Did you see that?

You get the items from the beginning I think.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Usually at the bottom right of the map. You'll be able to tell as there's a small figure on the map and when you move the cursor over it it says 'Master'. I'm pretty certain I saw it at the top left of the map as well.

I know that part. I meant there's a part where he leaves the area (hell, he pretty much tells you he won't be there at a certain point right after you meet him, so really there's no point in spoiler tagging it) and you have to go find him. But it's fine, I already found him (had to check a GameFAQs guide, heh).

And the marker in the top left is the chef guy, not Komaki.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Huh, weird story inconsistency here:

In Part 3 of Kiryu's chapter
when you meet the cop, he tells you that Dojima went missing "last night". But earlier in the chapter it's established that as of the night before, he'd already been missing for two days. Weird. He even knows that Dojima was in Kiryu's taxi before he disappeared, which was clearly like three days prior at this point..

When you start a new game there is a message pops up saying you got certain item for having save file of Y3 and Y4. Did you see that?

You get the items from the beginning I think.

I suspected so, but strangely I didn't get any message nor item. Maybe that's because all my previous Ys were european while I bought 5 from US psn?

I found the trick to that fight is weapons. Just pick up loads of chairs until you kill them, that what I did and it went really well.

8bit

Knows the Score
I found the trick to that fight is weapons. Just pick up loads of chairs until you kill them, that what I did and it went really well.

Same here, had pretty much forgotten how to effectively hit anyone until I could smack them with chairs then follow up with heat.

Mugen08

Finally bought and downloading now. Haven't used a PS3 in a long time and it felt like visiting an annoying grandparent. Ofc a bunch of forced updates first, then PS Store runs in like 0.5fps and then I had to (very slowly) clear disc space not only for the unpacked game but also for some 15gigs or so hdd overhead, I guess. Anyway, what matters is Yakuza 5, but glad the series move to current-gen from here on out.

raven777

I suspected so, but strangely I didn't get any message nor item. Maybe that's because all my previous Ys were european while I bought 5 from US psn?

Yea someone had similar problem last page. I guess it only supports the save file of the corresponding region.

Finally bought and downloading now. Haven't used a PS3 in a long time and it felt like visiting an annoying grandparent. Ofc a bunch of forced updates first, then PS Store runs in like 0.5fps and then I had to (very slowly) clear disc space not only for the unpacked game but also for some 15gigs or so hdd overhead, I guess. Anyway, what matters is Yakuza 5, but glad the series move to current-gen from here on out.

same, atleast you can skip going to the store by buying it online on a computer/phone and then just going to the Account-Download List on the PS3 to get it to download :D

Mugen08

same, atleast you can skip going to the store by buying it online on a computer/phone and then just going to the Account-Download List on the PS3 to get it to download :D

Aha, wish I had known/remembered that. Hopefully there will be no next time, but if so I thank you in advance. :)

My download finishes in about an hour?!!! I was sure it would take at least another a day to finish! What is this sorcery? O_O

I'll be playing Yakuza 5 today!!!!

OK if the price of the UK ver. doesn't change I'll just get it before leaving work and start the download at home.
Been waiting nearly a day to find out why the GBP 3 increase was for @_@

The question about this in the comments section of the blog got ignored, even though it had quite a few votes. I gave up waiting and bought it before i went to bed last night. I have waited for this game to come to the west for so long, i'm not gonna flip tables or skip it because of 3 GBP, but i will think twice next time about where i'm going to buy a game. I wanted to support it in this region, even though the price was a bit higher already in the first place, but the additional price hike without any sort of explanation or even acknowledgement leaves a bit of a sour taste. I'll just take my money to the US store the next time.

Urgh I'm still being pissy about this being £3 more than it was announced. But damn I've got some free time between group and essay work at university.
And all these good impressions, my desire for Yakuza, and I fixed my controller especially for this game as it is the only game left on PS3 for me to play.

Can someone do some quick math and tell me how much better it would be to buy off NA PSN? I'm kinda annoyed that if I knew Sega EU or SCEE would do this I would've just preordered from NA and get even more of a saving.
Can I use PayPal? Because I already have $8 and would rather not put too much money on.

Tizoc

I'm only getting it from EU PSN cuz ll my copies of Yakuza on PS3 are EU versions :p
I just want an explanation for the GBP 3, if it was tax they hadn't accounted for at the time, that's fine, just say so, be upfront about it, the whole price difference thing will always remain whether it be for a high profile title or a niche title :V

Urgh I'm still being pissy about this being £3 more than it was announced. But damn I've got some free time between group and essay work at university.
And all these good impressions, my desire for Yakuza, and I fixed my controller especially for this game as it is the only game left on PS3 for me to play.

Can someone do some quick math and tell me how much better it would be to buy off NA PSN? I'm kinda annoyed that if I knew Sega EU or SCEE would do this I would've just preordered from NA and get even more of a saving.
Can I use PayPal? Because I already have $8 and would rather not put too much money on.

Grab US PSN cash codes from US PSN. It's $40 over on US PSN which comes to GBP 27.
ATM it's a little over GBP 28 with Plus.

Dio

Banned
Ha, that one taxi cab passenger who only listens to anime theme songs and refers to real life as meatspace.

LiK

Anything I need to know from 2 and 3?

if you don't ever plan on playing the originals which establish the foundation for the series, make sure to read a full synopsis or watch a full LP before playing the sequels. you can also watch recap movies in Y3 and Y4 but they skip out on a lot of stuff and just show some main events. watch them anyway.

but I recommend playing them from the start in order to full enjoy the overarching stories and character development of everyone across the series.

I think you can legit get away with not playing 1 and 2 if you do the recap thing, but I really don't recommend skipping over 3 and 4 if possible.

most sane people don't play this series for the action alone, so you'd be doing yourself a disservice by skipping out on story.

DryvBy

I pre-ordered this game day one. Here was my experience yesterday.

Got home late from work. Noticed the game wasn't installed. Forgot how slow everything runs on the PS3 while trying to load the store. Found Yakuza 5. Download. Wait. Wait. Out of space. Hm, ok. Went through to find games to delete. Found several. Went back to download. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Connection time out. Repeat download. Wait. Wait. Wait... downloading.

So that was all I was able to do last night. I guess tonight I'll play!

LiK

Man I'm still in the intro of this game but I'm loving it. It's so chill.

Nagoshi is one of the most underrated directors in video games. he does drama and humor so damn well. Kojima gets all the love.

Yeah, thank god for the new OS in PS4. I can't believe how we managed to put up with PS3 for an entire generation.

the inability to PS4Share sucks. kept thinking I was playing PS4, lol

Decided I'll always be a bitch for Yakuza so I bought it anyway. Wasn't too bad as I had a couple of quid on my account.

Now to wait until it downloads and installs.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't know if I can say enough about the driving missions. This is my fifth Yakuza game of 2015, and nothing in the series really approaches this scale when it comes to side-missions. Can I even call them side-missions?

I really, really like Yakuza 5. So happy we got this.

SephLuis

the inability to PS4Share sucks. kept thinking I was playing PS4, lol

Sorry to throw a bucket of cold water, but the PS4 Yakuza games doesn't allow for share outside of a free roam mode =(

Basically, you can't use share on your playthrough.
I don't know if they will change this for the US version, but I doubt it.

LiK

Sorry to throw a bucket of cold water, but the PS4 Yakuza games doesn't allow for share outside of a free roam mode =(

that's really odd. any reason why? hopefully US allows it.

Nisa65

Game is up on the UK store at the discounted price. Got it for 28 odd quid.

Ironically downloading it from Japan. Only 300mb downloaded within the last half hour. This is gonna take a while

Codiox

Hey GAF, how are the impressions on this game?

Only played 3 and fucking loved it, will start with 4 over the holidays and looking forward to 5.

Yakuza 5 installed!

Oh boy, after 3 years of waiting I finally get to play Y5 tonight *tears of joy starts rolling on his face*

Yeah that really sucks :(

Even in Zero's demo you could only use the share button just before going to your last objective. Man, there were so many moments in that game that I wanted to take pictures.
Especially the first scenes with blood on Kiryu's face!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hey GAF, how are the impressions on this game?

Only played 3 and fucking loved it, will start with 4 over the holidays and looking forward to 5.

I don't know if I can say enough about the driving missions. This is my fifth Yakuza game of 2015, and nothing in the series really approaches this scale when it comes to side-missions. Can I even call them side-missions?

I really, really like Yakuza 5. So happy we got this.
^

Top Bottom