• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone issues warning after visitors put baby bison in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yellowstone-bison-idUSKCN0Y7259

Yellowstone National Park managers on Monday warned visitors to leave wildlife alone after two tourists put a newborn bison calf in their car, touching off a string of events that led to the animal's death.

The visitors from outside the United States came across the baby bison alone last week and decided to drive the calf to a park facility, unaware that interference with newborn animals could cause their mothers to reject them, park managers said in a statement.

Yellowstone rangers repeatedly tried to reunite the calf with the herd but those efforts failed. Ultimately, the abandoned calf was euthanized because it repeatedly approached people and cars along the roadway, raising safety concerns, officials said.

The visitors who put the bison calf into the car were given a citation, rangers said.

The incident last week was the latest in what officials described as "inappropriate, dangerous and illegal behavior with wildlife" that is placing animals and humans at risk.

They pointed to a recent video that went viral showing a visitor within arm's length of an adult bison near the park's storied geyser, Old Faithful. A separate video featured visitors taking selfies with bison "at extremely unsafe and illegal distances," the park said.

A Mississippi woman was hurt in July after trying to snap a selfie with a bison that charged and gored her. She was one of several visitors who were injured last year by one of the park's bison after people got too close.

0183_16lfj.gif

Seriously, people?

studyguy

Newborn_bison_calf_euthanized_after_visi_0_38380431_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Why. Also why would you even approach a newborn calf of any wild animal. I'd sooner expect an angry mother to charge before you ever got close enough to touch the baby.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The most infuriating thing about the bison calf story is that they "thought it was cold"...when it was 50 fucking degrees outside. It wasn't even all that cold out, and the thing has a natural fur coat, you idiots.

watershed

Banned
I feel terrible for the bison. These people should have been fined if not sued. Any tourist who isn't a child deserves whatever happens to them when they get to close to a wild animal or treat one poorly for their own selfish selfies.

Mii

Banned
A Mississippi woman was hurt in July after trying to snap a selfie with a bison that charged and gored her. She was one of several visitors who were injured last year by one of the park's bison after people got too close.

This is what you get when you fuck with our nation's mammal.

America FUCK YA

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The visitors from outside the United States came across the baby bison alone last week and decided to drive the calf to a park facility, unaware that interference with newborn animals could cause their mothers to reject them, park managers said in a statement.

I guess they legitimately thought there was a problem if it was alone? It's unfortunate but it's not like their intentions were bad. Not sure why everyone is this upset at them.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't feel too outraged since it sounds like they, the tourists, were only trying to help and not just snap selfies like that other story that's mentioned.

Shame the calf had to be euthanized.

Reset

Their intentions weren't bad, it seems like they thought they were helping it...
Yeah it was dumb of them to do that, but they shouldn't be thrown in jail like how some are suggesting.

entremet

Unless I'm missing something, I can't feel too outraged since it sounds like they, the tourists, were only trying to help and not just snap selfies like that other story that's mentioned.

Doesn't Yellowstone have a don't fuck around with wildlife policy, though?

Azuran

Banned
Those tourist killed a small piece of America by doing that.

Throw them in jail for not respecting the greatest nation in the world.

Zaphrynn

I understand their intentions were good, but the consequences of their actions were avoidable. There are signs everywhere in Yellowstone in multiple languages warning to never approach animals. And if you're travelling from another country, read about the damn place you're travelling to. I know it's one calf but it was completely avoidable.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Those tourist killed a small piece of America by doing that.

Throw them in jail for not respecting the greatest nation in the world.
Wait, I thought killing Buffalo was as American as it gets, these tourists were just trying to fit in.
767px-Bison_skull_pile_edit.jpg

Chococat

I guess they legitimately thought there was a problem if it was alone? It's unfortunate but it's not like their intentions were bad. Not sure why everyone is this upset at them.

Because when humans do stupid shit like this, the animal pays the price. The calf is now dead because of their actions.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.

They should have known better if they were at the park. You aren't even allowed to be near these creatures. Despite intention, putting the calf in the car was monumentally stupid.

Oppo

because these idiots ignored both multiple signs and common sense about wildlife, that's why.

UFO

Banned
I feel like... I feel like euthanizing it wasn't the only option. Couldn't they donate it to a farm or zoo? It's a cute little animal, surely not a lost cause?

BriGuy

Their intentions weren't bad, it seems like they thought they were helping it...
Yeah it was dumb of them to do that, but they shouldn't be thrown in jail like how some are suggesting.
That's pretty much where I'm at with this story. It's too bad the rangers couldn't find a zoo or nature preserve to take the animal in.

Lamel

Banned
So dumb, especially the selfies. Just fucking enjoy it for yourself, no need to show the damn world.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I guess they could have just called someone if they thought it was in legitimate danger. Putting it in the car was clearly a bad decision.

WoolyNinja

At first I was angry but the more I think about it, why was the calf alone? I wonder if it was already sick and the herd had already started pushing it away and ignoring it before the people intervened?

akira28

I hope the warning was something like "what the fuck? what the fuck really? I will kick your ass. Do not kidnap the animals!"

If it was in legitimate danger, it would have become wolf food. Sad but true.

that is how they test your worthiness. the mother was hiding in the distance waiting for a wolf.

BriGuy

I hope the warning was something like "what the fuck? what the fuck really? I will kick your ass. Do not kidnap the animals!"
Speaking of kidnapping animals, my friend's kid brother allegedly stole a penguin chick once. He stuck it in his backpack and took it home. His parents found out later that night when they heard splashing coming from the bathroom. The zoo was apparently not happy.

Tagyhag

Poor calf. I'm not as angry as I with the visitors from reading the title (Sounds like they were trying to kidnap it or take a picture with it) because it sounds like they were honestly trying to help.

But damn, at least call the rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom