• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone issues warning after visitors put baby bison in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Start charging these morons. Stupidity should never be an excuse. There is no hope for any non-humans in this world. Save the their heart was in the right place shit.

They seemed to have good intentions, but were just ignorant about how to handle that situation(do nothing). Not saying a punishment shouldn't be dealt, and I usually side with the animal im nearly every case, but I don't know about all of this social media backlash bullshit.

I wonder why so many animals reject their children if they get a "foreign" smell on them, seems like a weird defense mechanism. I can sorta understand birds, since there are some birds that lay their eggs in other birds nests, but why would large mammals do it?

I wonder why so many animals reject their children if they get a "foreign" smell on them, seems like a weird defense mechanism. I can sorta understand birds, since there are some birds that lay their eggs in other birds nests, but why would large mammals do it?

The touching bird babies thing is a myth.

Am I reading this right? The baby bison was left behind by its herd so it was going to die anyways. It didn't really matter what the guy did.

Wait, I thought killing Buffalo was as American as it gets, these tourists were just trying to fit in.
767px-Bison_skull_pile_edit.jpg

Fuck humans

Madness

Fuck humans

Even worse is that in trying to save the Bison they started breeding pure Bison/buffalo with domestic cattle so very few bison herds are actually genetically pure anymore.

Like I said, the way humans are procreating, developing the world. There is no space or future for any large non-human animal.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I still don't understand... there's absolutely no zoo/sanctuary in the country that would take the little guy?

Euthanizing it seems excessive.

Are you trying to troll, or are you purposely stupid? The only thing they could do for the bison was put it down, there was no way to reintegrate it into a herd.

"Purposefully stupid" made me absolutely lose my shit. There's something about the idea that someone would be intentionally unintelligent that got me.

Loxley

I still don't understand... there's absolutely no zoo/sanctuary in the country that would take the little guy?

Euthanizing it seems excessive.

If not killing the baby animal was a viable option, I'm sure they would have kept it alive.

An ex-girlfriend of mine worked at a wildlife sanctuary for a few years and educated me quite a bit on this stuff. Reintegrating baby animals back into the wild once they've been separated from their mothers can be very difficult. Especially if they've had contact with humans and have imprinted on them. Often times a major concern is that after a baby animal has had positive contact with humans (like this bison calf did with the guy who warmed it up in his car), there is a a very real risk that it will reject its herd and actively seek out human contact again and go to a place where humans populate (like busy roads). In which case it's viewed as a liability and/or safety risk to people and itself. This is why parks are so adamant about folks not feeding wild animals - they come to rely on humans for food and forget how to fend for themselves.

It's also worth pointing out that places like zoos and sanctuaries aren't simply animal hotels that can house and feed something like a bison calf at a moment's notice. They often have very limited facilities and funding (sanctuaries in particular) and half of their "employees" are actually unpaid volunteers. So it's entirely possible that there simply wasn't a place that could take in the bison calf in perpetuity.

Even then, lets say they did find a zoo to take it in, there's a very real risk that the adult bison could reject the calf and pay it no attention. A nurturing environment is key to the healthy growth of animals in captivity just as it is in the wild. It's something zoos actively monitor to ensure newborns are taken care of. So if were to be rejected by the other bison, it would be devastating to a newborn.

Apt101

Welp, people can be stupid when it comes to wildlife. I remember a friend's boyfriend going up to some raccoons to pet them because he thought they were nice, despite my repeated warnings that they are wild animals that can fuck some shit up. The mother raccoon took a chunk out of his wrist. What was supposed to be a fun day hiking and picnicking turned into hours in an emergency room while he got stitches and tetanus/rabies/whatever shots.

euthanized wtf? couldnt they at least give it to a zoo if they wouldnt let it go wild.
That's the other side of the Coin. A certain percentage of calves are abandoned by the cows. They stand shivering in fear and hunger until a bear or Wolves eat them. Park rangers have to think big picture. The calf was killed because it attached to people or cars as the mother,....which again leads one to believe it was abandoned very soon after birth, otherwise the rangers would have let it be eaten by wolves or attached to another cow with calf. I'm sure they walk off hoping the latter happens.

Another article pointed out the bison would have had to be quarantined for 3 months and there was no facility or money to do so. And the herd would not take the calf back.

Then the people who did this should have been fined however much it would have cost to relocate and quarantine it.

Wait, I thought killing Buffalo was as American as it gets, these tourists were just trying to fit in.
767px-Bison_skull_pile_edit.jpg

This is some dark souls level shit.

Can't believe for a second that they couldn't have sent the animal to a sanctuary or even adopted.
What the fuck is wrong with everyone.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Probably has something to do with how I was raised, but this is one of those things where I can't concieve of the thought process that would lead an adult to think this is ok. Kind of like watching video of that old guy breaking the clock.

entremet

This is some dark souls level shit.

Can't believe for a second that they couldn't have sent the animal to a sanctuary or even adopted.
What the fuck is wrong with everyone.
These are wild animals. Those sanctuaries are for farm animals mostly.

Trust the experts.

black_13

Banned
I mean his intentions were good but he went a little over board. He's still better than poachers. By the sounds of it he was already abandoned by his herd so he probably would've died anyway.

But damn people are losing their minds over the death of one bison while they are eating steak dinner every night. Unless you're a vegan then chill out. People make mistakes.

Yeah, we never learn. That's why all the bison are extinct right?

This is the worst part, I think (from Wiki):

Bison were hunted almost to extinction in the 19th century. Less than 100 remained in the wild by the late 1880s.[6] They were hunted for their skins, with the rest of the animal left behind to decay on the ground.[7] After the animals rotted, their bones were collected and shipped back east in large quantities

Selfish humans, man.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
RIP baby bison. You were too good for this world ;(

Here in Finland a baby deer was rejected by it's mother because some morons found it and touched it and took damn SELFIES with it. Stupidity of some people just always amazes and depresses me.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm reasonably certain that they could have found a good place for the calf without a lot of costs involved. There would have been a lot of public interest, zoos and farms. It doesn't really sound like that option was even considered

These are wild animals. Those sanctuaries are for farm animals mostly.

Trust the experts.

Wasn't the problem that the baby would no longer be suitable for the wild?
You could probably raise it in a sanctuary well enough. Since it's been decided that it doesn't belong in the wild, it could at least be given to a responsible farmer who's looking to care for an animal.

I know I'm not an expert, but I find it extremely hard to believe that there's no place left for it.
I don't care for zoos, but it may even be better to put it there, if like you said, there are no sanctuaries fitting for it.

entremet

Wasn't the problem that the baby would no longer be suitable for the wild?
You could probably raise it in a sanctuary well enough. Since it's been decided that it doesn't belong in the wild, it could at least be given to a responsible farmer who's looking to care for an animal.

I know I'm not an expert, but I find it extremely hard to believe that there's no place left for it.
I don't care for zoos, but it may even be better to put it there, if like you said, there are no sanctuaries fitting for it.

It's a wild infant Bison. Without it's mothers protection it's either dead or socially outcast. Bison are herd animals.

We tend to anthropomorphize wild animals too much. Who says it will take to human care? It may be aggressive and possibly harmful to human care, putting humans in danger.

After all that it may be more trouble than it's worth to keep alive.

It's sad, but that's why Yellowstone has these restriction. Also this isn't a common thing. This was a very rare occurrence. We have no epidemic of baby bison being taken into SUVs, so they're no need or demand of a bison sanctuary. Nor do we probably have the personnel for that.

I'm sure the park administration and on call animal experts didn't make this decision lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom