• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone issues warning after visitors put baby bison in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikodemos

Speaking of kidnapping animals, my friend's kid brother allegedly stole a penguin chick once. He stuck it in his backpack and took it home. His parents found out later that night when they heard splashing coming from the bathroom. The zoo was apparently not happy.

what

They had to KILL it?

They mentioning it in the article. To take care of the calf means resources and facilities they don't have, on top of reintroducing a 1 ton beast into back into the wild that is way way to familiar with people, leading to a potential future incident

Syriel

I guess they legitimately thought there was a problem if it was alone? It's unfortunate but it's not like their intentions were bad. Not sure why everyone is this upset at them.

How were they suposed to know that would happen? Cant be mad at them.

Unless you're a complete and utter idiot, you don't mess with wild animals. ESPECIALLY not in a national park.

This is on the level of the idiot that carved his name into one of the Egyptian temples.

And seriously, to claim that "it was cold' in 50 degree weather?

Chances are good they just wanted some "cute photos" and then needed to come up with some excuse for breaking the rules. Now an innocent animal has to pay the price.

They deserve whatever fine is coming their way.

GhaleonEB

Newborn_bison_calf_euthanized_after_visi_0_38380431_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Why. Also why would you even approach a newborn calf of any wild animal. I'd sooner expect an angry mother to charge before you ever got close enough to touch the baby.

These people need to be prosecuted, not issued citations. :\

Reven

It doesn't matter what their intentions were. They should receive a harsher penalty than a fine. Idiocy is no excuse for doing something like this.

moist

Why. Also why would you even approach a newborn calf of any wild animal. I'd sooner expect an angry mother to charge before you ever got close enough to touch the baby.

This. When I see a baby moose my immediate reaction is to look around for the mother and then get the fuck away from both of them.

Chococat

Poor calf. I'm not as angry as I with the visitors from reading the title (Sounds like they were trying to kidnap it or take a picture with it) because it sounds like they were honestly trying to help.

But damn, at least call the rangers.

Help it with what though? Just cause their heart was supposedly in the right place does not excuse them from failing to follow the park rules. Humans are suppose to be intelligent. Because they failed to use common sense, an animal was killed because of their actions. That is not excusable. They deserve all the scorn and fines they get for not thinking.

tcrunch

I guess they legitimately thought there was a problem if it was alone? It's unfortunate but it's not like their intentions were bad. Not sure why everyone is this upset at them.

Yellowstone provides instructions on how to handle wildlife that they either didn't read or ignored. #1 among these is don't touch the wildlife. All they had to do was call park staff if they thought something was wrong. Because they were so willfully ignorant and lacking in common sense, the animal was killed.

People that try to faith heal their kids have the best intentions too.

their intentions are bad the very moment they decided to separate the calf from the herd. you are told over and over "don't interfere" it would take less work and achieve the same result if they had just called the park Ranger.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't feel too outraged since it sounds like they, the tourists, were only trying to help and not just snap selfies like that other story that's mentioned.

Shame the calf had to be euthanized.

yeah the part where you're not supposed to touch the animals AT ALL. how hard is that to follow?

Their intentions weren't bad, it seems like they thought they were helping it...
Yeah it was dumb of them to do that, but they shouldn't be thrown in jail like how some are suggesting.

they should be thrown in jail to hopefully teach them a lesson and maybe act as a deterrent to future idiots.

How were they supposed to know that would happen? Cant be mad at them.

because you are told not to interfere with the animals and keep a healthy distance?
a citation is a damn joke, it's not even a slap on the wrist.

Ekdrm2d1

A Mississippi woman was hurt in July after trying to snap a selfie with a bison that charged and gored her. She was one of several visitors who were injured last year by one of the park's bison after people got too close.

ArkjyGf.gif

Dot-N-Run

I hope the warning was something like "what the fuck? what the fuck really? I will kick your ass. Do not kidnap the animals!"

that is how they test your worthiness. the mother was hiding in the distance waiting for a wolf.

Why does the wolf just stick around and sit there watching afterwards? Was it waiting for the big bison to leave again?

Jedi2016

Poor calf. I'm not as angry as I with the visitors from reading the title (Sounds like they were trying to kidnap it or take a picture with it) because it sounds like they were honestly trying to help.
Wouldn't stop me from shoving it in their faces. "The signs are there for a reason, that animal DIED because of YOU!! Now get the fuck out of our park and never come back."

rykomatsu

I think one of the articles indicated that the calf had already been rejected by the herd due to prior human contact or some shit before the calf was picked up...

Basically, the calf had 2 outcomes -

- Whittle away slowly in nature if the folks left it alone
- Quick painless(?) death from euthanasia after the folks brought it in

Sure this might be personification to some extent, but I think the outcome in this case was more humane than the other option...

Still, rules are in place to protect both human and nature - ends don't justify the means, family should be fined or penalized or something.

Chococat

Basically, the calf had 2 outcomes -

- Whittle away slowly in nature if the folks left it alone

Where it would have become part of the food chain, like what happens to all sick animals out in the wild.

- Quick painless(?) death from euthanasia after the folks brought it in

Where it was removed from the food chain. And likely was not returned due to contamination worries.

- Sure this might be personification to some extent, but I think the outcome in this case was more humane than the other option....

Being more humane in the case of nature through the entire nature cycle out of whack. People "saved" this baby cause it was cute. How was it humane for the animal who depend on bison for food?

Doubt most would do the same for snakes, frogs, toads, spiders which also deserve human protection but are overlook and demonized cause of the creep factor. Or wolves, coyotes, foxes, bears, and wolverines which are often killed illegal cause they're a "danger" to humans and cattle. Truth is, predators are killed cause they are an inconvenience to humans.

The humane thing to do was to have followed the park rules and not engage the bison. Contact the rangers if one thinks there is obvious human interference (shooting, trapping, tangled in garbage).

platocplx

I dont understand how people would think an animal in its natural habitat would be suffering. lmao.

I think people really have become disconnected with nature to a point of sheer ignorance of how fucking crazy nature is.

I think this is just like how we dont realize how our food gets to the table and kinda how gruesome it is.

its all kinda crazy when you think about it.

entremet

I feel like... I feel like euthanizing it wasn't the only option. Couldn't they donate it to a farm or zoo? It's a cute little animal, surely not a lost cause?

Wouldn't that be crueler? Take a wild animal, separating it from it's species. Even zoo animals have some socialization. These are herd animals.

Also how do we know any facility is equipped to care for baby bisons? These aren't baby cows, goats, or sheep. They're not domesticated.

Settle down Americans. If I want to come to your parks and fuck around with your 'national mammals' there isn't a damn thing you can do about it, except maybe give me some pathetic citation and cry on the internet. Next time it will be the eagles.

If you get hurt messing with nature, that should be punishment enough. I don't have much sympathy for people who get themselves involved with wild animals like that.

ZombAid82

Those tourist killed a small piece of America by doing that.

Throw them in jail for not respecting the greatest nation in the world.

Okay, Mr. Trump!

@Topic: Fucking stupid Tourist's, I should be common sense, to leave the wildlife alone,
sad enough that everybody can go in National parks like that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Because it shows a monstrous lack of understanding about the most basic elements of the natural world? Hey look that Alligator is smiling at us, lets go pet it!

Never. Not once when traveling in Colorado did I thnk to grab an animal from the side of the road and put it in my car.

But that's just me.

People really need to learn that wild animals are not pets.

It's this strange projection we have.

I am a Master Naturalist who has worked as a Parks Manager for a public park system. Literally every week I would get someone doing something stupid like this.

My favorite: I received a panicked phone call from a parent after their child got "attacked by snakes". I told them to hang up, call 911 and that I would meet them at the hospital. Upon arriving I asked the parent for details, where they were, what did the snake look like etc.

"Oh, we have it on video!" They reply, so I look at the footage to determine if the snake was most likely venomous. Turns out these geniuses had seen a colony of snakes, and decided to capture them in a bucket so their 3 year old "could pet them without getting dirty".

For weeks after, I received at least one phone call a day from people demanding that I remove all of the snakes from our parks so that kids would be safe. Every time I would explain the futility of such a course of action and almost every time they would ask to speak with someone else.

We ended up putting up nature warning signs to remind people that nature is filled with wild animals and to exercise caution.

People have gotten so used to fakes nature shows, zoos, and internet videos that they have lost even the most basic understanding of the natural world.

Alebrije

Yellowstone rules should said :

If you touch a wild animal on porpuse you go to jail for one month

Basic and simple

MGrant

The last time I was in Yellowstone, I saw people pulling over to get out of their cars and approach a black bear who was walking along the side of the road. That was my "are you fucking kidding me?" moment. Also had an encounter with a bull moose while fishing in a stream in Colorado. It was a beautiful moment; it just came up to have a drink and see what I was up to. I of course got the fuck out of there, but I don't think a lot of people realize how quickly situations with wildlife, especially large wildlife, can turn ugly.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I used to do a lot of summer work at a bunch of local state parks when I was younger and this kind of behavior doesn't surprise me from either local or foreign tourists. I remember a group of hikers got drunk and not only did they leave a huge mess of empty bottles, food wrappers, etc. behind them but then came across a black bear and tried to fucking wrestle it. Needless to say one dude almost had his arm ripped off and they had the gal to blame us, sad thing was the rangers had to put down the bear :(

Let's not forget we are the ones putting down roads and cars then saying goes the animals are dangerous for us. What's right about any of that? People are sort of... Well. A virus, matrix time.

How big was that bear? Must have been small?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fucking idiots. I've been to Yellowstone and the rules about staying away from the wild animals are damn clear.

Hell I was in a bison traffic jam once, even. Bisons all over the road, walking past the cars. If I had lowered my window I could have touched one.

But I didn't because I'm not a fucking idiot and the rangers had big megaphones warning people to stay inside their vehicles anyway.

Let's not forget we are the ones putting down roads and cars then saying goes the animals are dangerous for us. What's right about any of that? People are sort of... Well. A virus, matrix time.
WTF

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...ends-his-decision-after-court-order-1.3614927

CBC Radio interview with the guy.

Yellowstone is constantly reminding visitors to leave the animals alone but Kassam says he felt compelled to take action after he learned from another bystander that the bison struggled to cross a nearby river and had fallen behind the rest of the herd.

"She told us that it was almost collapsing," Kassam recalls. "Slowly it walked towards the car and was leaning against the radiator to warm up."

Kassam and his son agreed the bison was "shivering violently" but eventually drove off and left the animal with the other bystander. About half a mile down the road Kassam had a change of heart and turned back to check whether the animal's mother had returned.

"Before we even stopped the calf came running towards us," Kassam explains.

At this point the other vehicle had left and Kassam says the calf was completely alone. He tried to call 911 but there was no signal. After deliberating with his son, Kassam decided to put the bison in the car and deliver it to the ranger office.

He continues in the radio interview. He went with a ranger and the ranger found a herd, and the baby bison re-integrated. The ranger gave Kassam a ticket for interfering, but said there was no reason to appear in court. Two days later, Kassam gets a call and hears that the calf did not in fact re-integrate, and that he will have to appear in court.

Kassam is also from Africa, and he said the practice there is to scoop up abandoned babies (often left behind by poachers) and to deliver them to local wardens. He didn't know that you couldn't do that in America.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The last time I was in Yellowstone, I saw people pulling over to get out of their cars and approach a black bear who was walking along the side of the road. That was my "are you fucking kidding me?" moment. Also had an encounter with a bull moose while fishing in a stream in Colorado. It was a beautiful moment; it just came up to have a drink and see what I was up to. I of course got the fuck out of there, but I don't think a lot of people realize how quickly situations with wildlife, especially large wildlife, can turn ugly.

I was in Sequoia National Park and there was a bear cub in a meadow by the side of the road. The mother was nowhere in sight (which didn't mean shit with all the dense forest around the meadow) and people were getting pretty close. I was like "Doomed! You're all doomed!".

http://postimage.org/

jblank83

Are you serious? There are warnings everywhere. It's entirely their idiot fault, and they should feel awful that their idiotic actions caused the animal to be put down.

Was in Yellowstone not too long ago.

Yeah, there are signs everywhere that pretty much say "DONT TOUCH THE ANIMALS. DONT GET NEAR THEM. DONT DO ANYTHING WITH THEM."

I think when you enter the park they tell you the same.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...ends-his-decision-after-court-order-1.3614927

CBC Radio interview with the guy.

He continues in the radio interview. He went with a ranger and the ranger found a herd, and the baby bison re-integrated. The ranger gave Kassam a ticket for interfering, but said there was no reason to appear in court. Two days later, Kassam gets a call and hears that the calf did not in fact re-integrate, and that he will have to appear in court.

Kassam is also from Africa, and he said the practice there is to scoop up abandoned babies (often left behind by poachers) and to deliver them to local wardens. He didn't know that you couldn't do that in America.

Well, at least he had a reasonable explanation.

Even

The real monsters were the ones who cold blooded killed the poor baby bison. "Euthanized", right.

Reven

The real monsters were the ones who cold blooded killed the poor baby bison. "Euthanized", right.

Are you trying to troll, or are you purposely stupid? The only thing they could do for the bison was put it down, there was no way to reintegrate it into a herd.

I gotta tell you, when I read Yellowstone in the topic title all I could think was "Oh God, it's about to blow isn't it?! RIP all of us!!"

But that poor baby Bison though :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
One time I saw a bison on the side of the road about 30 feet away and I told my friend to stop the car. It was in Yellowstone or whatever that big one in or near Wyoming is. I whipped out of the car and charged at the bison with a full head of steam, screaming like a wildman, no uncertainty, no regrets, no surrender. I knew one of us was going to die if it was time to tap dance. Fortunately for him, the bison was wearing his running shoes that day. There's still that lingering "what if?" as I reminisce about the event from time to time. The force of our battle may have disrupted the order of the cosmos. Wow.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Well, at least he had a reasonable explanation.

No he doesn't. If I were concerned about an animal's welfare I'd drive to the ranger station and tell them what I'd seen.

What I wouldn't do is bundle a wild herd animal into my car and drive it to the ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom