• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Yuterald

Bought this last night. Yoshi's Island was one of my favorite platformers as a kid. Haven't replayed it in awhile. Own the DS game, but played little of it, wasn't impressed/turned off from a few things, as most people were. Looking forward to giving this a go tonight. Is the soundtrack really that bad? Music is very important to me and to hear that a lot of people think the OST is garbage is a little worrisome. Don't want to spoil anything on YouTube, but I'm hoping it's not all complete garbage-land.

maxcriden

Bought this last night. Yoshi's Island was one of my favorite platformers as a kid. Haven't replayed it in awhile. Own the DS game, but played little of it, wasn't impressed/turned off from a few things, as most people were. Looking forward to giving this a go tonight. Is the soundtrack really that bad? Music is very important to me and to hear that a lot of people think the OST is garbage is a little worrisome. Don't want to spoil anything on YouTube, but I'm hoping it's not all complete garbage-land.

Parts of the OST are honestly a bit grating, and I love whimsical Nintendo music like you'd find in Yoshi or Kirby games. Other parts of the OST are alright, and some I genuinely like.

Lijik

Some of it is surprisingly great, others are tracks ruined by poor instrumentation (get rid of the weird sped up kazoos and the title screen music would be really nice for instance), and other tracks are straight up garbage

Yoshi Island DS is more consistent in its music quality (i.e. mostly bland) and Yoshi New Island has the higher highs and lower lows. Neither of them come close to the original

Dinskugga

I like the game.

But i really hate the controlls.

i try to use yoshi tongue with the wrong button all the time. so annoying. But yeah over time i should get used to it.

MegaboyX

Neo Member
Music was one of the best parts in my opinion. Problem is that I beat it in 3 or 4 hours so I traded it in. It is way too easy and is aimed at 3-10 years olds eith little platformer experience. Disapointing to see nintendo go this direction lately. Then again even tropical freeze wanst very tough for me since I grew up on these games.

Zing

Banned
I like the game.

But i really hate the controlls.

i try to use yoshi tongue with the wrong button all the time. so annoying. But yeah over time i should get used to it.
I had the same problem, until I trained myself to use R for eggs.

maxcriden

Music was one of the best parts in my opinion. Problem is that I beat it in 3 or 4 hours so I traded it in. It is way too easy and is aimed at 3-10 years olds eith little platformer experience. Disapointing to see nintendo go this direction lately. Then again even tropical freeze wanst very tough for me since I grew up on these games.

Did you 100% the levels and play the secret levels?

gogojira

Going out tonight and seriously wish I knew what to do about this game because I'm so tempted to pick it up or a Wii U pro controller. Yeah I know, that's the weirdest fucking debate ever but it's one or the other. Going to dig through some impressions here but as someone who has enjoyed the previous Yoshi games (well, loooove Island and like YS), it seems like I should enjoy it enough.

SCReuter

Sounds like you blazed through it. I'm only at World 4 and my activity log says I've played for 12 hours.

And the relaxed difficulty doesn't bother me. There's still enough challenge in completing all stages 100%.

maxcriden

Going out tonight and seriously wish I knew what to do about this game because I'm so tempted to pick it up or a Wii U pro controller. Yeah I know, that's the weirdest fucking debate ever but it's one or the other. Going to dig through some impressions here but as someone who has enjoyed the previous Yoshi games (well, loooove Island and like YS), it seems like I should enjoy it enough.

What game(s) are you looking for a Pro Controller for? Yoshi's New Island is plenty fun. I'd say if you're between a fun game and a controller, unless you urgently need the controller I'd always opt for the game first.

maxcriden

Apologies for the double post, but I wanted to separately mention my total playtime for beating the game, not 100%ing any levels. It took me 7:33 total. I'd say that's pretty good for a 2D platformer, especially since I still have lots to do in the game.

tanooki27

Just finished World 4. The game isn't as good as Yoshi's Island.

But it's not nearly as bad as many would have you expect. I'm happy with my purchase.

Drago

I am having so much trouble beating the 3-4 boss with all 30 stars intact, jeez. I must have tried at least 10 times in a row now. There's just too much stuff going on at one time for me to handle. >_>

gogojira

What game(s) are you looking for a Pro Controller for? Yoshi's New Island is plenty fun. I'd say if you're between a fun game and a controller, unless you urgently need the controller I'd always opt for the game first.

Didn't get around to reading this but I opted for the controller for now, but I'll get Yoshi soon enough. There's a couple reasons I went for it, one being that the controller was $10 off. The other major factor being that I already have so many damn games to catch up, adding another right now didn't make sense.

Currently playing through Pokemon X on my 3DS, having nightly Titanfall sessions, just picked up MHU for Wii U and a few other things I'm casually playing in the background. Getting the controller was for a return trip to DKC and a preemptive strike at MK8 and Smash, heh.

But yeah, I need to clear my plate a bit and then I'll scoop up Yoshi.

Zing

Banned
Either you are mistaken in how long this took you to complete, or you just ran through the levels without bothering to try for completion at all.

Lijik

I am having so much trouble beating the 3-4 boss with all 30 stars intact, jeez. I must have tried at least 10 times in a row now. There's just too much stuff going on at one time for me to handle. >_>

This is tripping me up right now too. In theory its really easy but if the balloons start coming on the side im on everything goes sour

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Coming off Tropical Freeze, the soundtrack for this is already at a disadvantage but I'm still enjoying the gameplay for what its worth. I'm amongst those people who can never have too many platformers so I'll take every one I can get.

Yuterald

Finished the first world with 100% of the objectives done. It's pretty much what I expected from the little I've played. First world is safe in terms of design/ideas, but it's comfortable/familiar. Stages also don't wear out their welcome as they're nice, short and compact. I think that was one of the issues with Yoshi's Island DS, stages were overly long and needlessly challenging. I don't think games/platformers like this always have to be difficult/challenging (same reasons why I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn), so I'm perfectly fine with this being a chill/relaxed go-to adventure game. Getting a score of "100" (which I'm surprised they changed) is definitely where the challenge will be, despite not having to do it all in one go.

As far as the music goes, so far, from my experience with World 1, it's been fine. Nothing too grating (aside from the enemy spawn pipe rooms) and there's been a few tracks that have stood out (like the mid-fortress tune) and the general theme/track that plays throughout most of the levels (which I think is the tune that is in most trailers). I put on some decent headphones so I can hear all of its brilliance (or terribleness?) and there's some good stuff here! The main theme that plays throughout World 1 has got some good baselines and the instrumentation on 1-6 is great (cool harmonica usage, nice guitar, etc.). I'm liking it.

Drago

This is tripping me up right now too. In theory its really easy but if the balloons start coming on the side im on everything goes sour
Finally managed to do it without getting hit. I gave the gyro aiming a shot and it took me 3 tries to get it. Was my first time using the gyro aim too, I think it works really, really well actually. It's nice having complete control over your aim, although I think it may make the shooting just a bit too easy, haha. I'm switching back to patient for the rest of the game, unless I have to deal with another boss on the annoyance level of Kamek 3.

Now I can finally move on to 3-5 :x

steveovig

The more I play this game, the more I love it. The levels are very well designed, especially if you're aiming for 100%. I'm at World 5 and I don't want this thing to end. Of course, the time difference between me beating it and getting 100% will be great.

Just about halfway through world 4. Loads of levels I haven't full-cleared yet.

Do you need to get everything in one run, in this game?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nope, you can go back and replay any level you've already beaten.

I think this wasn't his question, and I also think we should add the following to the op, because it's a question that often arises:

In each level you have to collect 5 flowers, 20 red coins and 30 star-points. If you get to the end of the level with one or more of these categories cleared, the game 'remembers' that and you only have to clear the remaining categories during you next runs in order to get to 100%. However, if you, for instance, collect two flowers on one run, it does not suffice to collect the remaining three flowers on your next run.

maxcriden

I think this wasn't his question, and I also think we should add the following to the op, because it's a question that often arises:

In each level you have to collect 5 flowers, 20 red coins and 30 star-points. If you get to the end of the level with one or more of these categories cleared, the game 'remembers' that and you only have to clear the remaining categories during you next runs in order to get to 100%. However, if you, for instance, collect two flowers on one run, it does not suffice to collect the remaining three flowers on your next run.

Oh yes, I think you're right that I misunderstood. Thanks for writing this up, I'll add it to the OP! :)

MegaboyX

Neo Member
Either you are mistaken in how long this took you to complete, or you just ran through the levels without bothering to try for completion at all.

I don't care about that kind of "completion". I completed the game when I beat the final boss. If you mean collecting every coin on every level, this is not fun for me. It is just a way to pad out game play after you beat the game and give you something to do. I saw every level and it was nearly impossible to die on them.

seb_n

I don't care about that kind of "completion". I completed the game when I beat the final boss. If you mean collecting every coin on every level, this is not fun for me. It is just a way to pad out game play after you beat the game and give you something to do. I saw every level and it was nearly impossible to die on them.

But that is what the Yoshi island games are about, exploration and the challenge of finding every last item.

maxcriden

FWIW, you did not see every level. There are six secret levels you did not encounter.

Yoshi

You're mising six levels, as well as most (challenging) content in the main levels. Why did you buy the game in the first place, even the first Yoshi's Island isn't that great a game if you don't go on flower-hunt.

Lijik

You're mising six levels, as well as most (challenging) content in the main levels. Why did you buy the game in the first place, even the first Yoshi's Island isn't that great a game if you don't go on flower-hunt.

I completely disagree. Yoshis Island is a satisfying game without having to go for 100% completion.

MrBadger

But that is what the Yoshi island games are about, exploration and the challenge of finding every last item.

I'd argue that that isn't entirely the case. I got plenty of enjoyment out of Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS on my first runs through them, without actively seeking out every item because the games had longer levels and new, interesting challenges and enemies. New Island is the first Yoshi's Island which just isn't as enjoyable unless you're making an effort to find everything.

Plus there's no motivation to find stuff on your first run through except for bonuses. In other games with hidden items like 3D World and Warioland 4, you'll get to a point where you need to go back and find stuff if you actually ignore all the items. There's no instant reward for finding things, either. You find everything in a world and get one bonus level. Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze has a similar setup, but it's still plenty enjoyable if you aren't finding everything and just want to see the whole game (because there really is a lot to see) and there is a kind of instant reward for exploration in that game, since there are secret exits which lead to bonus stages.

Zing

Banned
"Pad out the gameplay"? It is the gameplay. The entire challenge of this game is to traverse the stages while gathering all the hidden items and getting hit as little as possible.

seb_n

Actually i don't disagree with you. I am playing through the game at the moment at the beginning of world 5, i haven't 100% conpleted the previous levels yet. I played through the original yoshis island on my snes when it first came out, didn't 100% complete it back then but still consider it one of my all time favourites.

in regards to this latest version, it was never going to be as good as the original, and i never expected it to.

The point i suppose i was trying to make in my earlier post was; of course you can speed run each level, just get to the end but you are going to miss a lot of the content if you do that. The level design encourages you to explore.

but to each their own, if the guy above who "completed it in 4 hours" is happy (or as it turns out, unhappy) with that experience of the game then so be it.

Zing

Banned
You can change between jumping with A or B. Essentially, you can "rotate" the buttons.

I was initially very frustrated until I realized that it should default to using B for jump. However, I still occasionally would fumble when jumping or throwing eggs. I couldn't seem to have the buttons committed to muscle memory. Once I realized that I could use R to throw eggs, I set the controls back to A, and have not hesitated or fumble since.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I finished the game last night and while I had fun playing the game I am not going to waste time trying to 100% the game.

Also did anyone spot
Adult Mario at the end of the credit? that blew my mind.

tanooki27

i dig using the analog slider for this game - only problem is, i keep unintentionally ground-pounding. pretty brutal when you're maneuvering floating platforms, aiming for question clouds, and suddenly...bye bye!

guess the d-pad is the way to go for max precision.

Mr-Joker

Banned
i dig using the analog slider for this game - only problem is, i keep unintentionally ground-pounding. pretty brutal when you're maneuvering floating platforms, aiming for question clouds, and suddenly...bye bye!

Ha Ha that happened to me many times, since I refused to use the D-Pad.

Yoshi

Yeah, I had to use the dpad. I'm horrible at that, I also couldn't play Yoshi's Island 1 with the slider, and in Yoshi's Story, which I'm replaying on Wii at the moment, I accidentally ground pound a lot, too.

Lijik

I'd argue that that isn't entirely the case. I got plenty of enjoyment out of Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS on my first runs through them, without actively seeking out every item because the games had longer levels and new, interesting challenges and enemies. New Island is the first Yoshi's Island which just isn't as enjoyable unless you're making an effort to find everything.

Plus there's no motivation to find stuff on your first run through except for bonuses. In other games with hidden items like 3D World and Warioland 4, you'll get to a point where you need to go back and find stuff if you actually ignore all the items. There's no instant reward for finding things, either. You find everything in a world and get one bonus level. Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze has a similar setup, but it's still plenty enjoyable if you aren't finding everything and just want to see the whole game (because there really is a lot to see) and there is a kind of instant reward for exploration in that game, since there are secret exits which lead to bonus stages.

Im liking Yoshi's New Island well enough (currently at world 4), but this is the biggest fault I have with it. A lot of the games you mentioned (I'd also throw in Wario Land Shake it) are satisfying on their own, but become stronger when you go for the extra stuff. However YNI straight up assumes you're aiming for 100%. Even the challenging S stages are a cakewalk and dull to just get to the end of, and are only challenging in the context of collecting all the items.

Someone who doesnt want to collect things will get enjoyment out of Yoshi's Island, I dont think that same person would get enjoyment out of this game. Its not a "what did you expect??" thing, its very much specific to this title.

frankMX

I am surprised some of you guys did not know R button for throwing eggs.That is defaullt control for YI gba version.

Yoshi

Of course you can get enjoyment out of YI1 if you are not aiming for full completion of each level and YI3 is a lot weaker in that regard, however, the level design can only truly shine if you do go for completion. YI1 is a nice game if you only run through the levels, but the master piece it is only becomes apparent if you aim for completion. So I really don't understand what people expect to get out of a "simple" successor to the game, obviously aimed at fans of the series, when only running staight through the levels.

Sounds like you blazed through it. I'm only at World 4 and my activity log says I've played for 12 hours.

And the relaxed difficulty doesn't bother me. There's still enough challenge in completing all stages 100%.
I only just started playing yesterday. This comment represents how I feel about the game myself. I enjoy the lax difficulty in terms of platforming and like 100% each level, which can be tricky. The game is nice when you approach it this way.

Of course you can get enjoyment out of YI1 if you are not aiming for full completion of each level and YI3 is a lot weaker in that regard, however, the level design can only truly shine if you do go for completion. YI1 is a nice game if you only run through the levels, but the master piece it is only becomes apparent if you aim for completion. So I really don't understand what people expect to get out of a "simple" successor to the game, obviously aimed at fans of the series, when only running staight through the levels.

I feel the opposite about YI1. It falls apart for me when I go for 100% because of its kitchen sink approach to collectables. There's simply too many collectables per stage and the fact that they all have to be snagged in one run, without getting hit (on levels that are pretty lengthy by platformer standards) makes it a tedious and frustrating affair IMO. This is the part where I get avatar quoted but I think the "less is more" approach to collectables taken by something like DKC2 can provide the same level of satisfaction while reducing frustration. Again, I love YI but going for 100% simply kills it for me.

steveovig

Beat this badboy yesterday and I don't want it to end, even though I still have a lot to do. This does make me want to bite the bullet and finally pick up Yoshi's Story after all these years, and maybe YIDS. Screw the reviews, I love this game, almost as much as I loved DKCR.

stktt

Banned
I bought this on Tuesday despite the middling reviews, and so far I don't regret it at all. The dual screen levels and use of multiple babies in Yoshi's Island DS weren't enjoyable to me (too much backtracking and reorienting yourself just to work around the gap between the screens), so seeing those aspects eschewed in favor of a more traditional design is good news. The few additions to gameplay in New Island are more subtle, but also feel more naturally integrated than what was found in DS. Difficulty is fairly low, but scrounging for collectibles is fun and encourages exploration. There are definitely some obnoxious songs on the OST (whose idea was it to open the game with a barrage of kazoos!?), but the main theme and its various arrangements are nice.

I'm up to 2-8 at the moment and will probably continue going for full completion of each level unless there's a massive difficulty spike.

Lijik

I got near the end of World 5 and put it down for other games, but other than the S levels I dont think any stage is super challenging to 100% especially if you dont hold yourself to doing it all in one run. Not to say the regular levels are super easy to 100%, they just always feel doable. Maybe things change in world 6 i dunno. 4-S has been the hardest level so far, ate up like 100 or so lives on it.

Beat this badboy yesterday and I don't want it to end, even though I still have a lot to do. This does make me want to bite the bullet and finally pick up Yoshi's Story after all these years, and maybe YIDS. Screw the reviews, I love this game, almost as much as I loved DKCR.
Yoshi's Story is a bit different. Instead of star/red coin/flower hunting you're melon hunting. It can get tricky but to me, it wasn't as engaging.

Sums up exactly how I feel about the game.

Top Bottom