• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can no longer view Twitter without an account

ShadowNate

Eh, it's a change that won't affect much for me. I think if it pushes many people to drop twitter as their main news feed, that's a positive outcome too. For society. Probably not for Elon, but who knows.

winjer

Gold Member
One thing that will probably happen, is that people will start sharing screenshots of posts on Twitter, instead of sharing the link.
So it will result in fewer people going to their site.

Well Twitter is currently broken even if you have an account so must be another day ending in Y 🤷‍♀️
lol it's not like it's out every day. it's not even down every week.

Eh, it's a change that won't affect much for me. I think if it pushes many people to drop twitter as their main news feed, that's a positive outcome too. For society. Probably not for Elon, but who knows.
twitter usage is up. it's not going anywhere.

No longer going to be the default place to disseminate information if that information can’t be shared freely.
Hope you and the mods are ready for the influx of Reddit and 4chan screens instead of just a picture of some random person posting some random info about a “leak” as the basis of a thread 😂

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I used to think Twitter was pretty good, but I think now it's a lot of grifting and bad faith posting coupled with lots of bots advertising gambling services which may or may not e scams too. Also, morons doing anything for clout.

I think post Musk taking over that he's politicised twitter in a way that means I feel differently about the site and have been gradually reducing my use of it, initially subconsciously, but now I am thinking about deleting my account.

This is the latest in "have they thought this through?" Decisions. It makes me wonder if something new will be added to partially roll this back "twitter preview launches next week!"

Ultimately, social media can't be put back in it's box and I wonder if Twitter can retain dominance. At this point, I feel that most people using Twitter would welcome a new platform as long as everyone else went.

Last edited:

intbal

If this lasts, someone will make a twitter-reader website (assuming one doesn't already exist). There have been Instagram-viewer websites for almost as long as Instagram has been in operation.

Why is this an issue? Didn't everyone migrate to Mastodon like they said they would?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Tweets can still be embedded and shared without having an account to view them. Which is how I see 90% of them anyhow, now.

Madonis

"Sorry, you are rate limited. Please wait a few moments then try again"

Apparently Twitter wants to discourage people from simply browsing the website at this point or something isn't working as intended. Same deal.

LoveCake

I am surprised this hasn't happened years ago on Twitter, because Facebook, Instagram, Pintrest have been doing this for ages.

I do think people are over-reacting a-bit to this happening though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who knows what the shake out will be.

They'll save tons of bandwidth on people freely viewing like me, but lose viewer count which would be less ad money.

No doubt it should help society. Then again, social media has created lots of unstable users and tweeters. A crackdown on viewer access may make some people go ape shit too.

Wildebeest

AI being trained on everything publicly viewable on the internet, making these tech barons freak out and make their awful services go dark, is a total win-win.

UnNamed

Banned
Just make a dummy account and problem solved. I do the same for Facebook when I have to register to some site quickly.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Apparently Twitter wants to discourage people from simply browsing the website at this point or something isn't working as intended. Same deal.
Elon said they're limiting verified accounts to reading 6000 posts/day, unverified 600 and new users 300. Temporarily to address some "system manipulation" or something,

decisions

Elon said they're limiting verified accounts to reading 6000 posts/day, unverified 600 and new users 300. Temporarily to address some "system manipulation" or something,

This is the way bigger story and I bet this is one of their changes they’ll roll back.

Viewing 600 posts for unverified accounts is nothing. Seems every reply counts as a post because I’ve used the app for like 20 mins at most today, now I can’t see anything from my feed until tomorrow? That seems to be the most ridiculous change made since Elon has been involved.

Cyberpunkd

People acting like Twitter is some kind of common good and basic human right like fucking water is bizarre.

If you want to use the service, make an account.
This, also I don’t agree with Sweeney having issue of “news sites being paywalled”. People should be paid for doing their jobs, you have no right to profit without pay from the work of others.

Having said that - you don’t need 24/7 news sites. Just get a subscription to some good weekly or monthly, much better content.

DKehoe

Twitter is now not working for me and it seems to be down for a bunch of other people too. It’s been so buggy recently.

Lol just saw the reason. Fuck hahaha

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This is the way bigger story and I bet this is one of their changes they’ll roll back.

Viewing 600 posts for unverified accounts is nothing. Seems every reply counts as a post because I’ve used the app for like 20 mins at most today, now I can’t see anything from my feed until tomorrow? That seems to be the most ridiculous change made since Elon has been involved.
Yeah, even verified accounts can burn through 6000 in an hour or two. Then you have the entire platform unable to view it anything. Which isn't good for advertisers.

This is unconfirmed, but I read Twitter had an API DDOS attack and they're trying to limit activity until they get everything sorted.

The weekend before July 4th, obviously the best time to roll out a massive change on a platform with untold millions of users.

TTOOLL

It's been like this for a long time no? I remember creating a dummy account long ago just to open links I received from there.

Larogue

I was hit by the 300 limit, verified my phone and I assume got another 300 (600 total).
Scrolled for like 10 mins and got hit by the limit again.
This is a joke.

Last edited:

Gp1

Replies count as posts, and scrolling through at any speed counts as reading. You could “read” 600 posts in a couple minutes. The limits are extreme.

Besides that, is not that uncommon to see 30 or more tweet-threads in there.

This kind of limitation will effectively kill twitter.

Last edited:

acidagfc

With both twitter and reddit actively being killed by its CEOs, GAF is on the way to becoming my only social media platform.

Its probably a good thing. Back to the roots, so to say.
I spent my teenage years on gaming forums of yore, I can live with a simple forum board now.

Crying Rivers

Neo Member
So does anyone use the Blue sky thing? Is it any use? I was happy enough with twitter despite the verified user stuff, but this is just beyond a joke now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah this will either get reversed or the values will get increased dramatically.

If you want to battle webscraping you can easily put the values at 50,000 per day since Twitter generates a vastly larger number than that on a daily basis.

Top Bottom