• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Don't Know Jack |OT| None of these hostages leaves until Cookie gets his chopper

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Taxman said:
I will miss the Gibberish Questions because the "fuck you" rants have always been my favorite thing about this series.
i don't really get why they got rid of them. they seem super-easy to make and everyone like them. ah well we have a new ydkj so i'm not complaining too much

BiggNife

So does anyone know for sure if the Steam version lacks online? Because that's definitely make-it-or-break-it for me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
BiggNife said:
So does anyone know for sure if the Steam version lacks online? Because that's definitely make-it-or-break-it for me.

Steam version lacks europe, so that sux

scottnak

can't wait to get home....
180456_10100230371460553_1222371_57051844_6708644_n.jpg

Played a couple of games online today (PS3 version). It's pretty fun game.

I do fear from repetitiveness with multi playthroughs. Ten questions is pretty damaging too. There can be a slight bit of input delay which can be easily ignored execept when it comes to the Jack Attack questions becuase they require speed. I also don't really care for the whole faster you input the answer the more cash you get system. They also need more "Number" songs. I played four games and they were all the same.

On the positive side we have Cookie. Enough said there. Trademark YDKJ humor. If you didn't find it funny before you won't here as it's almost dead on the old humor found in the PC games. The trophies are hilarious and create artificial replay value which I find the main game is lacking. Questions are hard but clever.

I hope the DLC includes question radomizer and 21 question options. For now I'd give YDNJ a 7.5/10 and for the $30 console price and $20 steam price its a good deal.

Wehrwolf

Loved the series before, but rarely played it as my weekly get together for gaming usually has 4 people (and yes, we could rotate in and have someone watch, which we did for awhile, but eventually moved on to other stuffs).

But now its 4 player play, so day 1 purchase! (so yes, I purchased it today)

isny

napkin dispenser
So no one has picked up the PC version yet to confirm/deny online play?

NM, Steam confirms it's offline only. =(

Oh well, will wait for it to hit $5.00 during a Steam sale =/

19Kilo

I was just browsing the steam forums and it looks like the PC version has no 360 controller support or button remapping. Also local multiplayer only and it's limited to 2 players. :(

Think I'll just rent a console version.

MrDaravon

Got confirmation from Ryan Davis via twitter, but can anyone re-confirm that there's no subtitle option anywhere for Cookie's dialogue? My wife is hard of hearing, so if there's not that makes this a likely no purchase :/

Trakdown

isny said:
So no one has picked up the PC version yet to confirm/deny online play?

NM, Steam confirms it's offline only. =(

Oh well, will wait for it to hit $5.00 during a Steam sale =/

Least now we know why it was 10 cheaper, I guess. :/

OneLetter

I picked up my copy (360) today from Best Buy. Had a weird realization that when your game begins with a "Y", they put you on the bottom row. Kind of unfortunate and I nearly missed the game when I was doing a quick-scan of the shelf.

Can't wait to get home and play it - been a long-time fan of the series and still have just about every cd-rom version.

Volcynika

19Kilo said:
I was just browsing the steam forums and it looks like the PC version has no 360 controller support or button remapping. Also local multiplayer only and it's limited to 2 players. :(

Wow, that's lame.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm trying to message the Twitter account about Steam in Europe. Let's see if I get a response.

Sp3eD said:
Yes that is the best way to get it. Scene it on 360 is pretty awesome too. My friends and family play it everytime they come over.
Heck, if lots of people here get the bundle for Jack do you think it'll be worth setting up a game or two over Live? I mean Scene-It

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mindlog said:
Is Scene It? Box Office Smash Bundle the best bundle for big button controllers? Fuck it, bought. I doubt there is an awesome Scene it? game I'm missing.

Both Lights, Camera, Action and Box Office Smash are excellent games. The third one (Bright Lights! Bit Screen!) is sub-par. It's not a coincidence that making the series multiplatform and putting it in the hands of a poor developer caused this transition in quality.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wow looks like even the ny times reviewed this. pretty cool. all of a sudden i checked googlenews and it seems to be getting some press

I’ve had at least as much fun with this new Jack as I did with the original PC versions I enjoyed so much in the mid and late 1990s, not least because now I can play the game on the couch with friends instead of in the computer den. The franchise has been largely dormant for the last decade, but it appears that the game’s developers at Jellyvision have been busy with their serious business of making “interactive conversations” online for major corporations, like Web tax questionnaires for H&R Block, credit interviews for Equifax and treatment-option dialogues for hospitals.

That attention to detail shines through the game, which was released on Tuesday by THQ for the Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS and Windows. The main version contains more than 700 questions organized into over 70 “episodes”; each takes 10 to 15 minutes to play. (If you repeat an episode, the questions are the same, but additional episodes will be available for paid download.) For now, all that is missing are iPhone and Android versions — and the Jellyvision people would have to be a lot dumber than those capable of writing this game not to be working on them.

The highest praise I can offer the new You Don’t Know Jack is that I have not finished all of the episodes precisely because I want to leave some unplayed so that my friends and I can discover them together. And there’s nothing snarky about that.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/arts/video-games/09jack.html

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Just bought on PC and what a fucking disappointment. No gamepad support and only 2-player local co-op. Worst part is, I'm gonna end up double dipping 360 version now so I can play 4-player at my house. I'm buying used.

RedStep

Played through the first 4 episodes and one online. Great fun. Anybody not purchasing the 360 version at $30 (can't speak for the others) is a damn fool.

N4Us

I got a secret achievement
Great crowd
but I have no idea what triggered it
Description is just "Laugh at an easy joke"
, anyone else?

Aaron

19Kilo said:

What the fuck? I'm so glad I was too tired today to impulse buy. That's insulting.

TheHakku

N4Us said:
Great crowd
, anyone else?
The answer was
Natesbook.
. looools.

God I love this game.

Cartman86

Banned
Like in the Giantbomb Quicklook my 360 version has horrible audio skipping. I tried installing to see if that fixed it, but nope.

N4Us

TheHakku said:
The answer was
Natesbook.
. looools.

God I love this game.

Haha, yeah I got it at that point too.

Like in the Giantbomb Quicklook my 360 version has horrible audio skipping. I tried installing to see if that fixed it, but nope.

Yeah, I heard a skip at one point during one of our games as well. I installed the game afterwards but I haven't played it after the installation, that's kinda weird if it still skips.

scottnak

Nose Master said:
The sponsor wrong answers in this are so fucking clever, jesus. So good.
Loving them so much. What's worst when you realize you've just probably missed the wrong answer of the game after getting a question right .... ahhh

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
N4Us said:
Great crowd
, anyone else?

You didn't laugh at the joke that Cookie told after that question? He says something like "'Natesbook' would be another name for Ass-book. The one thing about Ass-book is that you wanna make sure your friends don't poke you". HAR HAR HAR. That's what the achievement is for. Laughing at an easy joke.

MultiCore

Ordered the 360 version, should be here tomorrow.

I kinda wish they had included an option for people to use USB/Wireless keyboards for gibberish questions/fill in the blank/ect. You can use it navigate the dash, so why not?

Also, what about the Chatpad? Another great/official option.

Doodis

Hey Stump, were you able to find out if guests are permitted online? If not, no big deal. The game is on its way from Amazon, but I'm just curious.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doodis said:
Hey Stump, were you able to find out if guests are permitted online? If not, no big deal. The game is on its way from Amazon, but I'm just curious.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but when I went into multiplayer it didn't seem like you could have more than one local player. I only had a few seconds to check it out when my girlfriend had to go the bathroom, but I expect that would preclude guests. I'll check again when I get home from work.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Played a couple games online last night. A few lag issues here and there, only major issue was in one particular game where the game kept hanging for several seconds, people eventually dropped out. I'm guessing someone had a terrible connection and were dragging the rest of us down.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Cartman86 said:
PS3 version doesn't have any skips so far. Sadly no day one DLC like the 360 version...hopefully it'll have some next week.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anyone know how the Wii version is? I'd prefer PC, but the lack of 4 player local and controller support pretty much kills that.

Top Bottom