• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

you know you want to... help me choose a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoneM

well, I'm in the market to get a new car (or possibly a really nice used one) and I have a budget of $17,000 I'd like to pay less $17,000 is my maximum. I would like for it to be reliable and cheap to fix. So far I like the Saturn Ion (type 2) and the Dodge Neon RT. So my questions are:
Which of these 2 would you recommend?
Which of these 2 is cheaper to fix?
Out of all the cars in my price range, which one would you choose?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Pay just alittle more and get this:

mazda_mazda6_ssportssedan_2004_385x192.jpg

miyuru

I'd go with the Mazda over the Lancer. I'd never even consider an American Lancer right now, they're not even selling the Evos right?

Edit: lol, I remember those smart cars back when I went to France in 2000. They're pretty sweet for the fuel economy + price, though I wouldn't use them for anything past going from point A to point B.

darscot

I'm all over it, can't get one untill September though. Damn waiting list. To me a car goes from A to B that's all I care about.

marko

Hyundai Elantra GT for $13500 (manual) (sunroof, plenty of options). I know it is Hyundai, but if you really read about the car, you will see newer Hyundai's are much improved. The car also looks quite nice. Honestly think it is one of the better car deals out there now.

I might say Mazda 3, but I think the Elantra GT will give you a comparable car at a much better price. Although I do think the Mazda 3 is a slightly superior car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
miyuru said:
I'd go with the Mazda over the Lancer. I'd never even consider an American Lancer right now, they're not even selling the Evos right?

Edit: lol, I remember those smart cars back when I went to France in 2000. They're pretty sweet for the fuel economy + price, though I wouldn't use them for anything past going from point A to point B.

They've been selling Evos for a year and a half now in North America.

Pimpwerx

You can get a 2001 or 2002 Subaru WRX for that price. Great bang for buck. Unfortunately, I've been reading about some wierd tranny problems that Subaru is neglecting. :( You could always go with the car I've earmarked for purchase recently, the Toyota MR2 Spyder. Can find those used for that price. A 2001 or 2002 again. I'm looking for a 2002 I think.

Other than that, I think the two you chose are fine. But be warned, Dodge makes shit. The Neon SRT/4 goes like greased lightning, but craftmanship is questionable. I heard Saturns kinda suck for that too. But don't mind me, I generally avoid American cars like the plague. All foreign for me. PEACE.

AntoneM

I am skeptical of the Mazda 3's because it's a brand new car, didn't they just hit the market with the '04 model. I imagine there are some bugs to be worked out. That said the Ion is pretty new but really isn't. I will look into getting the Mazda 3, if for nothing else than to placate your frothing demand.

I live in Phoenix, AZ

Scoobert

Unfortunately, I've been reading about some wierd tranny problems that Subaru is neglecting.

More like owners abusing their cars and blaming it on Subaru. Subaru just won a lawsuit over this and even got lawyer fees for it. Go Subaru! :D

Anyways, I would check out the Scion tC. It's in your price range, reliable, and is mod friendly. Can you say TRD kits? Yummy!

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
My sister has a Mazda 3 - it's a great car.
It really feels much more expensive than it is.

Hmm...I wouldn't mind a Scion if they had them here; some of them are pretty cool...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Pimpwerx said:
You can get a 2001 or 2002 Subaru WRX for that price. Great bang for buck. Unfortunately, I've been reading about some wierd tranny problems that Subaru is neglecting. :(

Got a Subaru myself, and it's definitley a great car for that price. And if you're going to buy a car like that, why the hell would you get it without manual transmission in the first place?

Saturn ION sedan or quadcoupe or both nice
Mazda 3 is nice
Ford Focus
Pontiac Grand Am's can be had for VERY cheap with discounts, cool car too.
Pontiac Vibe is a sweet car, good quality and content (its a pontiac/toyota lovechild.)
Scion tC looks tight.

Personally, I'd wait to try out the new Chevrolet Cobalt, it looks good, its going to have an amazing interior for the price... overall just looks like a sweet car.

AlphaSnake

max_cool said:
I am skeptical of the Mazda 3's because it's a brand new car, didn't they just hit the market with the '04 model. I imagine there are some bugs to be worked out. That said the Ion is pretty new but really isn't. I will look into getting the Mazda 3, if for nothing else than to placate your frothing demand.

I live in Phoenix, AZ

Bugs? You do know that the 3 is currently ranked as the best bang for the buck with many car mags, right? I've seen nothing but glowing praise for the car, and I test drove the 3s (the sporty version) and it rocks. It's a damn punchy mofo for the price. And the interior? Absolutely beautiful. Don't even consider the Saturn or Dodge for your own sake.

I dunno why this Mazda 3 love is so intense.. its basically the next generation Ford Focus.. good car, but people are a little high on it.. and it loads out to be VERY expensive if you start putting options on it..

popup_ext_gallery01.jpg

popup_ext_gallery02.jpg

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt coupe... looks pretty nice to me.

xsarien

daedsiluap
LuckyBrand said:
I dunno why this Mazda 3 love is so intense.. its basically the next generation Ford Focus.. good car, but people are a little high on it.. and it loads out to be VERY expensive if you start putting options on it..

Yeah, looks nice. No offense to any GM heads here, but, you know...it's still a Chevy. I'll wait for the reviews.

Doth Togo

max_cool said:
well, I'm in the market to get a new car (or possibly a really nice used one) and I have a budget of $17,000 I'd like to pay less $17,000 is my maximum. I would like for it to be reliable and cheap to fix. So far I like the Saturn Ion (type 2) and the Dodge Neon RT. So my questions are:
Which of these 2 would you recommend?
Which of these 2 is cheaper to fix?
Out of all the cars in my price range, which one would you choose?

Are you in high school or college? If so, then buy a good used car and save your money. I recommend a 1997 Honda Accord SE (sunroof, cd change), which you can get with low miles for around $11,000. Use the rest on an upgraded sound system (Eclipse speakers x 6 + a Nakamichi 5 disc changer = $1,500). Save the rest for car insurance and beer.

You can't go wrong with this.

Bottom line, buy a good used car. New is wasting your money + higher car insurance.

Vormund

LuckyBrand said:

popup_ext_gallery01.jpg

popup_ext_gallery02.jpg

That does look nice...pity we don't get it here in Aus.

I personally wouldn't have the wing though :)

xsarien said:
Yeah, looks nice. No offense to any GM heads here, but, you know...it's still a Chevy. I'll wait for the reviews.

I am a GM head, but I understand any complaints in quality as they had very poor quality for a long while..

However, GM quality is actually very good these days.. my dad has a 1999 Olds Intrigue, and the thing is amazing, never had a problem with it yet.. thats 5 years of no problems, which is good these days..

As for quality, you can check JD Power and other surveys/rankings, most GM brands are average to above average... hell, Buick ranked better than Toyota this year!

and obviously Cadillac is at the top of the heap.. the only GM brand to really do poorly was HUMMER, which placed near the bottom by volkswagen.

EDIT FOR ABOVE POST:

I agree, I'd delete the wing and go with the smaller one...

I like the Saturn ION RedLine *ALOT*, but would have to go with the smaller wing on that one too.

AntoneM

RedMaiden said:
Bugs? You do know that the 3 is currently ranked as the best bang for the buck with many car mags, right? I've seen nothing but glowing praise for the car, and I test drove the 3s (the sporty version) and it rocks. It's a damn punchy mofo for the price. And the interior? Absolutely beautiful. Don't even consider the Saturn or Dodge for your own sake.

I remeber when the Ford Focus was getting that same kind of praise

Scoobert

I forgot to mention that the Scion tC will see an optional TRD supercharger, which will bring the factory 160hp to 200hp. Like I said earlier, yummy!

tc01.jpg

tc04.jpg

tc07.jpg

tc09.jpg

Get out the drool buckets. :D

xsarien

daedsiluap
max_cool said:
I remeber when the Ford Focus was getting that same kind of praise

That and distilling the 3 down to a re-badged Focus is doing it a gross injustice. It's more like if a Focus and a Volvo S40 met, had some gin, and got it on in the back of an Escalade, just out of spite.

AlphaSnake

Scoobert said:
I forgot to mention that the Scion tC will see an optional TRD supercharger, which will bring the factory 160hp to 200hp. Like I said earlier, yummy!

tc01.jpg

tc04.jpg

tc07.jpg

tc09.jpg

Get out the drool buckets. :D

Hahaha, that car is such a rip off of the 6th generation Maxima's bodystyle. The rear is very similar. The sunroof too. So that also makes the Scion an ugly car. :D Suck it down 6th gen Maxima!

Scoobert

Hahaha, that car is such a rip off of the 6th generation Maxima's bodystyle. The rear is very similar. The sunroof too. So that also makes the Scion an ugly car. Suck it down 6th gen Maxima!

Not even close. Look at the sunroof again, look at the lights. Oh yeah, Maxima has Celica headlights. :p The tC does not look like the Maxima, look again.

AlphaSnake

Scoobert said:
Not even close. Look at the sunroof again, look at the lights. Oh yeah, Maxima has Celica headlights. :p The tC does not look like the Maxima, look again.

The Maxima has a sunroof that vertically cuts across the roof of the car. Yes, I know that the tC has two independent sunroofs, but the inspiration is there. And I didn't bring up the headlights, either.

But the tails?

192004maxima.jpg

Come on...

Edit: Damn, the whole backside of the tC looks strikingly like the 6th gen Max. The trunk outlining, especially.

Mason

A lot of people find the Scion ugly. I'm kind of indifferent; it's nothing special, but I kind of see where they're getting that.

Vormund

How long ago since that Maxima came out? (Our Maxima is different here in Aus)

I don't think there are spies between Toyota and Nissan.

AlphaSnake

Vormund said:
How long ago since that Maxima came out? (Our Maxima is different here in Aus)

I don't think there are spies between Toyota and Nissan.

6th gen Maxima's been out since May 2003 here in US. You Aussies have an ugly Max. But your 5th gen was nice though...well, cuz it was an Infiniti I30/I35. :p

AlphaSnake

42_2005_Altima.jpg

That's our 2005 Altima. It's sooooooo puuurty. 2005 Altima >>> 2004 Maxima.

AirBrian

Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Toyota Corrolla
Nissan Altima

...in that order. For your price range, the Civic is probably your best bet for a new car. Honda's have crazy-low amounts of maintenance and can last forever if you somewhat take care of it. Great cars. I'm not dogging the Mazda, but it's fairly new and the reliability is pretty much unknown at this point. Mazda's overall are pretty reliable, but Honda is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom