• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

What happened? Made a mistake?
I accidentally'd my dbs file when trying to homebrew. Had to use a back-up from mid-2014 so the 3DS doesn't recognize games I downloaded since then. So YW and the save file were on my SD card but the 3DS doesn't recognize that.

It was still better than the alternative of starting everything from scratch, though. At least this way I kept my save files of games downloaded pre-mid 2014...

Shoyz

oP9V1dz.jpg

What's the deal with the USJ watch? Limited to the event? Anyone ever smuggle one out?

Impotaku

It works wirelessly with the attraction, it wouldn't function away from it as they were specifically made for it along with the real full sized version of the youkaipad. Not that it would matter as there's no way in hell that anyone would be able to steal one as they are kept tabs on when you go in & when you come out.

Would love for them to make a super deluxe one like it though keeping the LCD screen and also the original place where the medals were meant to go just like in the first game.

hupla

Wave 3 of medal moments from Hasbro has been revealed. Cute choices really like the baddinyan

Also I think I'm done buying blind bags, only need 9 more medals and kind of just wanna trade, any of y'all interested in trading doubles?

Cross post from the YW1 Game thread:

I've been working on my character database a lot more here lately, and things are starting to somewhat shape up. I wanted to show off what I have so far, mainly because I would really appreciate any feedback you guys have about the basic layout. Especially the layout of the window that pops up when you click on a specific character. Anything you would like to see different? I would really like to get that part nailed down now, before I do a lot more work.

Here is what I have so far:

http://yokaiwatch.github.io/characte....html#/search/

Few things to point out:

- Yes, this is based off of the One Piece: Treasure Cruise character table. I'm using their code under their GNU license though, so it's okay.

- There is still a lot of work to do. My next project will be updating all of the filters on the left side bar, but I'm hoping that won't be all that bad. Everything else is working pretty well, other than the Evolutions, which I'm basically going to have to try to completely redo.

- No, I am not good at programming. I've never worked with Javascript before, so almost all of this has been trial and error so far. I'm genuinely starting to get a bit concerned about some sections of the code, since I have no idea what is going on, but I'm just going to keep making changes until I get it working.

Tusk

So, just found out about U stage 3 being announced. Seems one of the medals in it is a new legend medal. It's Columbus. Also some really cool looking song medals. There also seems to be two new Youkai I don't recognize. They're just shown as silhouettes.

It's also gonna have some of the new Youkai that will be in YW3.

The new pad also comes with two song medals. One being that Taronyan trio song medal. But it seems to have different art on it.

You lucky bastard.

Yeah. Really glad I got it.

Dragoshi1

Finally heard Frostail's English voice

................................He's apparently a chipmunk now.

Don't base the VA off the game, there's still a chance if and when he shows up in the anime(hasn't yet, as of ep101), as some characters in the game use the same few recycled VAs.

Also, Baku's VA is different in the anime compared to the game, along with a bunch of other Yo-Kai, which gives me hope for Blizzaria not having a cheap VA.

Don't base the VA off the game, there's still a chance if and when he shows up in the anime(hasn't yet, as of ep101), as some characters in the game use the same few recycled VAs.

Also, Baku's VA is different in the anime compared to the game, along with a bunch of other Yo-Kai, which gives me hope for Blizzaria not having a cheap VA.
Dont count on it hahah. As much as I like the dub it seems they're just grabbing whoever is handy in the office. The only professional VA among them is JYB. Seems like Disney is cheaping out as usual on the VA department. Which is a shame cuz there's so many VAs which I feel would be perfect for certain Yo-kai.

Dragoshi1

Completed series 1! Only bonus medals I have that don't have a page slot in the medallium are Goldenyan and Paws of Fury.

Also happy to learn Venoct's anime English VA is different than his crappy in game one, going by the voice in the watch.

Tusk

Ughh, are you kidding me. I somehow missed out on U stage 3 and Busters volume 5 on hlj.

Pisses me off more because they made the last two sets 1 per customer, but didn't for this.

Even worse, they had some weird pricing going on selling a box for 200 yen.

This feels really bad.

Edit: Those little file things they have that include medals. Says "legendary san-taro". That a new Youkai?

Dragoshi1

Ughh, are you kidding me. I somehow missed out on U stage 3 and Busters volume 5 on hlj.

Pisses me off more because they made the last two sets 1 per customer, but didn't for this.

Even worse, they had some weird pricing going on selling a box for 200 yen.

This feels really bad.

Edit: Those little file things they have that include medals. Says "legendary san-taro". That a new Youkai?
Yeah, I think San-Taro is an alt of Momotaronyan, saw pink Momotaronyan, there was a blue one, and a yellow one, all in the Busters update that came out in November, I think.

Tusk

Yeah, I think San-Taro is an alt of Momotaronyan, saw pink Momotaronyan, there was a blue one, and a yellow one, all in the Busters update that came out in November, I think.

The two you're talking about are Orashimanyan, and Kintaronyan.

Though, this could be related since it also has taro in the name.

Tusk

Lots of new info for the next YW game.

There's also S versions for Jibanyan, Koma-San, and Komajiro again if you have any of 2.

And there's Mahou and Shiki nyans with Busters.

Edit: Oh, the release date seems to be March 2nd.

Probably would be better to link the main site.

Two other legend medals are shown here too. http://www.youkai-watch.jp/sangokushi/character/

evanmisha

Can any YW1 importers shed some light on Pandanoko? There's some confusion in the fandom as to what the requirements to encounter one actually are.

If anyone has the Japanese YW1 guide and could share what it says on the matter as well, that would be great.

Impotaku

Can any YW1 importers shed some light on Pandanoko? There's some confusion in the fandom as to what the requirements to encounter one actually are.

If anyone has the Japanese YW1 guide and could share what it says on the matter as well, that would be great.

All the official Japanese guide says is that when you streetpass there's a chance for it to appear in the VIP room of the hotel.

Had to piece the info from various Japanese message forums & blogs. That's the general gist of it, the guides don't exactly go into much detail on the matter.

It can be sent from anyones game, each time you recieve a streetpass from someone there's a 1% chance that it will trip the Pandanoko flag in your game and activate the VIP room with them waiting in it. That's how it first appears in the streetpass network, it's then passed on if that person who had it appear in their VIP room streetpasses it back out before they go fight it so the data is sent back out onto the network, if they go battle it first and it's friended then when they streetpass their data it won't send it back out onto the streetpass network.

It's the rarest one in the games to find.

Shoyz

I opted to buy a booster box since it's always a guaranteed set, thanks Hasbro. Except for how there's little ways to buy a booster box and Bushinyan is apparently always in the front left pack..

I wonder if we'll get a reward system like Japan has later?

I tested out the Whisper medal that comes with the watch on my Prototype JP watch, and it plays a variant Jibanyan track they must have reused the groove pattern from. He says "Onyamachi".

And reviewers weren't kidding when the said the US watch was loud. Ear-piercing. Did they tone down the volume on the Japanese watches? Way quieter.

I find "recognizes 100+ medals" really questionable too. The Japanese one says 220, is this just reflective of how many medals were in the pipeline for sure, or did they severely trim down the medal compatibility?
You could test this yourself with Japanese medals by pulling the cover off the US watch. You could even see what unannounced medals they plan to release possibly (like the S2 Page promo). But I don't have any.

Impotaku

More stuff arrived today, picked up the DX medal case to keep all my doubles in. Certainly beats using a plastic tub
IMG_1192%20res.jpg

IMG_1193%20res.jpg

The missing 2 hagure medals i needed from the older series plus the 2 newest utakichi medals from the arcade machine. Also the Yamatan legend medal from the medaland website.
IMG_1194%20res.jpg

Busters series 4 & U medal stage 2 medal booster boxes plus the data pages to store them in.
IMG_1195%20res.jpg

The U watch shinka kits
IMG_1196%20res.jpg

And the issue of corocoro with the B usapyon medal i needed
IMG_1198%20res.jpg

And that's it for now, Level 5 can pay the bills for another week lol.

Impotaku

can i have your yamatan

Lol err yeah, that's not happening. You could always buy one from Amazon but it won't be cheap, all the older medaland website lottery legend medals are now slowly increasing in price.

Well i bust open the booster packs this evening, looks like it was a good idea to buy 3 boxes of each especially considering that there were a lot of holos in these new series. Managed to get complete sets for both series but missing the extras like the Wisper rainbow foil hagure from busters 4. However i did get lucky and get 2 of the 3 hagure medals for U stage 2, seems Jimmi was sneaking in the background, i thought that the eyes on them looked odd lol, just missing one more with Jimmi making a guest appearance. They are kind of fun extras but damn they make it hard to spot on some of them i have now gotten into the habit of if i get multiple of a holo to scrutinize them side by side incase it's a hagure one.

Normal medals on left and the hagure ones are on the right, when Jimmi uses his ability it's pretty noticable in the eye department hehe.
IMG_1199%20res.jpg

Tusk

I ended up with a hagure from that set too. Was waiting to see if I could just get all the medals from the two sets I'm missing in one go, but haven't had any luck so I'm gonna end up having to try and get more boxes.

Also, I randomly got a small package from Hasbro today. It was the paws of fury Jibanyan medal. :b This was a surprise.

Impotaku

What medals you missing Tusk? as i have a LOT of duplicates from my recent opened boxes, might have some spares of ones you need. I still need some gaps filling in a few of my buster sets so i could always either sell medals or do swaps if you have doubles i need.

Like i said i have a lot of spares, these are all spares (minus the orange ones in the case) really should start looking to flip them on ebay at some point. a mix of a lot of different series.
IMG_1200%20res.jpg

Tusk

What medals you missing Tusk? as i have a LOT of duplicates from my recent opened boxes, might have some spares of ones you need. I still need some gaps filling in a few of my buster sets so i could always either sell medals or do swaps if you have doubles i need.

Like i said i have a lot of spares, these are all spares (minus the orange ones in the case) really should start looking to flip them on ebay at some point. a mix of a lot of different series.
IMG_1200%20res.jpg

Sorry for late response, been busy. :b I'd have to take a look at what exactly I'm missing again, and I'd have to take a look at what I've got doubles of, which I will do soon.

All I can remember off the top of my head is that Komainu Youkai from U stage 2, and the Red cat boss medal.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck me I didn't know this thread existed. I bought like 20 packs and my kid really wants Shogunyan. I will trade these little plastic fucks if needed or just pay if anyone has one. Apparently it's like $15-$20 for one on ebay. What kills me is I searched around and it's impossible to collect all this shit because 1) there are exclusive medals in figures, accessories, and even fuckin Monopoly board games and 2) we're moving back to Japan soon where he's definitely going to start all this shit all over again. Still, I feel like I should get him Shogunyan because for a 5 year old it is literally his holy grail.

From what I can tell using the inserted medal lists, we have everything but like ~6 from the original run, one of the missing be Shogunyan. I'll try to get them all together and take a pic.

Edit: what we have.. we have way more duplicates actually and I think whisper, walldin, and the yellow thing with the four eyes is missing from the pic
Px2ASa0.jpg

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well fuck. Before I posted in this thread: 'hey guys im overflowing with shogunyans who needs one'

After I posted in this thread: 'everyone has moved on from yokai watch'

Impotaku

Probably just best coughing up the cash & getting one off ebay as paying $20 for a common USA one is a hell of a lot better than paying 13,000-20,000 yen for the Japanese one. The price on those damn things keeps climbing.

I'm an expert

Zero issue with buying it, I just cant stand ebay. i'd rather do business with a gafer. i dont know why no one has them on amazon yet,

I'm an expert

gah id rather do ebay than reddit lol. Im still fairly 'new' to reddit but yeah ill keep an eye on it, thanks. Ill just pray a gafer comes around with an extra

Speaking of medals, I've kinda gotten discouraged about buying packs lately. The way Hasbro made the damn things it's super common to get the same exact medals in a pack a lot of times. Ive already gotten the same Awevil, Tanbo, Hungramps pack 3 times from random purchases at the store! Two of those were at the same time even. I just feel that if these things had been randomized like Yugioh cards or something it would have been a bit better. I feel like I might just have to resort to scouting online for deals on the few medals I actually want. Like that I wont end up with a lot of doubles.

I'm an expert

Last call for any gafer with a shogunyan who wants to sell/trade. Ill probably try a few more packs and then just hit ebay.

Top Bottom