• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Meffer

Looks like they bumped the release date for the game and show up to this year instead of next year. Will the toys and medals be next?

Looks like they bumped the release date for the game and show up to this year instead of next year. Will the toys and medals be next?

Bumped up? Are you referencing EU/UK? Brcause Holiday 2015 was made official last week for NA while Nintendo EU/UK/NZ confirmed during E3 a 2016 time frame

Meffer

Bumped up? Are you referencing EU/UK? Brcause Holiday 2015 was made official last week for NA while Nintendo EU/UK/NZ confirmed during E3 a 2016 time frame

Yes, I meant US. We thought the game and show was going to come out next year. Then they announced the game was coming out this year and the show soon followed.

Yes, I meant US. We thought the game and show was going to come out next year. Then they announced the game was coming out this year and the show soon followed.
I always thought both were coming out by the end of the year with the toys coming this spring.

Illucio

Banned
That song is surprisingly not completely horrible.

I think the song is terrible beyond belief. Pokemon's new songs are better than this dribble, and the new Pokemon are meh level to begin with.

Kids love good songs, I can't tell you how much I loved a lot of the Pokemon Songs, Danny Phantom, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go, American Dragon, Teen Titans, and so many other cartoon song openings that we're actually good songs even though they we're screaming out the name of the show every second.

I think the song is terrible beyond belief. Pokemon's new songs are better than this dribble, and the new Pokemon are meh level to begin with.

Kids love good songs, I can't tell you how much I loved a lot of the Pokemon Songs, Danny Phantom, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go, American Dragon, Teen Titans, and so many other cartoon song openings that we're actually good songs even though they we're screaming out the name of the show every second.
I can't comprehend how people are finding this song "terrible". I think it's better than most of the shit spat out these days, honestly.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

kubus

The English opening is really good. I mean, it's terrible to listen to and the lyrics are dumb, but as an opening to a kids show in English, I think it hits all the right notes.

Peru

Crayon Pop should do the theme

CrayonPopYokaiWatch2-575x577.png

I just watched that trailer earlier today too and I am also excited!!! I think I am considering purchasing Akane Kodan also now! Only have Shiro Inu Tai at the moment preordered.
Did you see the green beam gun (I can't remember what it's called) just like from the one in ghostbusters in the trailer?
Amazing! Hahaha

Impotaku

Well i didn't see that coming, the DVD of the Youkai watch movie comes as a special edition with 3 medals. There's also a bluray version but thats a bit more expensive.

Now here's the good thing the DVD is only 1998 yen, that's obscenely cheap when you find out the 3 bonus medals you get. All of them were originally very hard to get hold of and they sell individually for way more than this DVD costs. Darknyan been especially hard to get hold of.

81cjkUJyXmL._SL1251_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00VKRV6Q4/

Meffer

Well i didn't see that coming, the DVD of the Youkai watch movie comes as a special edition with 3 medals. There's also a bluray version but thats a bit more expensive.

Now here's the good thing the DVD is only 1998 yen, that's obscenely cheap when you find out the 3 bonus medals you get. All of them were originally very hard to get hold of and they sell individually for way more than this DVD costs. Darknyan been especially hard to get hold of.

81cjkUJyXmL._SL1251_.jpg

I take it the blu-ray version doesn't have any more goodies compared to the DVD right?

nekobi

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/products/

This webpage lists all the medal packs and whats in each medal set, there are currently 12 series plus 2 reissues of the 1st & 2nd series for those that missed them the first time around.

In the older sets there is usually 30 medals in a set, in a box you get 12 packs with 2 medals per pack so one full box gives you 24 medals. Also in a box you will be guranteed to get at least some holo medals per box (cant remember if its 5 or less) but even then you'd need at least 2 full boxes and a bt of luck to get a set although i have done that before and ended up getting duplicate holos in each box. Some sets it's taken 4 boxes to get a full set.

There are other things to consider as well, in some of the sets there are medals know as campaign medals they are rare ones not always found in each box. And there are special medals called hagure medals that look like ones already in the set but they are slightly different. If you look in series 1 on the website at the bottom theres saphirenyan & topanyan right at the bottom of the page, they are campaign medals. If you look at series 4 (dark purple pack) theres 3 hagure medals in that set they are shown at the bottom of that page.

The newer sets like the buster medals have only 20 in a set making it a lot easier to get a full set from a couple of boxes. As for what the medals do i think some of them unlock bosses to fight in the game but i'm not sure about the others in the set.

If you need any more medal info ask away, i'm happy to answer questions :)

Thanks for all the info! :)
I just got my first box of medals and looks like I got 18/20!
y1.jpg

I also got the exact one I was looking for to complete my fruitnyan collection, yay!
y2.jpg

Ordered 3 boxes of the new busters medals from the Japanese ToysRUs site (couldn't find them anywhere else for a reasonable price). I'm tempted to order some boxes of the other sets too now. It was too much fun opening those packs!~

81cjkUJyXmL._SL1251_.jpg

Also want to mention (for US fans at least) that we share the same Blu-Ray region as Japan, so if you intend to actually watch the movie, it may be easier to go with the Blu-Ray version as it will work in PS3s/PS4s etc. :)

I've had it pre-ordered for a while now, I'm actually excited to watch it! It's kinda funny that those 3 medals were some of the few I actually bought already too! I'm a sucker for the cute nyan medals, lol! Guess I'll have to trade or sell the extras now. I assume they're the exact same (except you don't get the card with the Fuyunyan)?

Impotaku

Thanks for all the info! :)
I just got my first box of medals and looks like I got 18/20!
y1.jpg

I also got the exact one I was looking for to complete my fruitnyan collection, yay!
y2.jpg

Ordered 3 boxes of the new busters medals from the Japanese ToysRUs site (couldn't find them anywhere else for a reasonable price). I'm tempted to order some boxes of the other sets too now. It was too much fun opening those packs!~

Congrats on getting a complete fruitnyan set that's not an easy thing to do considering they are scattered about in various ways, and the magazines/books they appeared in sold out pretty fast, have you thought about going for the jewelnyans yet? i love how all 5 medals link together to make one image, i was hoping that the fruitnyans and the robo character sets would do the same but sadly they never used the same idea again.
SAM_1342%20res.jpg

Also bonus points for getting both campaign medals in one box that's pretty lucky indeed.

Impotaku

Finally got around to playing around with the youkaipad, for a toy it's pretty nifty. While not an exact replical from the anime/game like the watches are it still has a lot of things to mess around with.

By slotting your medals in you can keep a track of what ones you actually own although not every medal has an individual entry in the youkaipad. The blue special attack medals register as their normal versions when scanned also the gotouchi medals are all lumped together under a single medal and the same with the daikitchi ones. However there's still a lot of medals to register all the ones from the main sets have their own entries alsong with some of the special ones like the ones from the soundtrack cds, this one is a legend medal and it was recognised fine. Like the watches the medals slot in from the bottom.

SAM_1343%20res.jpg

SAM_1344%20res.jpg

Besides providing a digital tally of your medals the act of scanning them in also unlocks their encyclopedia entry and voice file. You can unlock their extra voice file by scanning certain medals in. Each medal you scan gives you a coin and as you scan more in you unlock awards which give you points. You use these points to buy wallpapers and other features to customize the look of your screen, this is the standard screen with all the apps you see. There are no games on this thing just little simple features like clocks calculators ect, it's mainly designed as an encyclopedia than a games machine.
SAM_1345%20res.jpg

As with all things youkai watch it was designed to link with other things in the series, you can trade info to another youkaipad via the IR port on the top but you can also use QR codes. You get points either by unlocking awards for scanning medals or you can also use the gashapon machine to spend your coins on capsules inside a capsule will be a set amount of points unless you get a rare yellow one where the points can vary to a max of 1000. There's another option on the gashapon where once a day you can use the QR gashapon, code it gives you is for the youkai medaland website if you scan the QR code it will add points to your medaland account. If you have a medaland account you can take part in campaigns to win the physycal legend medals, it's the only way you can get those as they have to be won via a lottery.
SAM_1346%20res.jpg

As you scan more and more medals you will be given trophies for reaching certain events like so many medals of a set type or so many youkai of a certain rank as well as scanning individual characters. Some of the trophies can be upgraded from bronze going right through the ranks till you get upto rainbow rank, the more you keep adding into your youkaipad the more the trophy will upgrade.
SAM_1347%20res.jpg

It's a fun thing to own if you enjoy collecting the medals as it goves you yet another thing to do with them.

Aizo

Banned
My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting Youkai Watch 2 together. What kind of multiplayer features are there? Co-op stuff (like trading) are preferred.

Meffer

So where do you guys think they'll sell the medals in NA and EU regions? Toys'r'Us is obvious. I'm thinking GameStop will sell them too.

Tomita

Battling's a thing of course. So is trading. I believe there's also local co-op for the Yo-Kai Watch Busters minigame.

Does the first game have similar multiplayer mechanics? I just noticed on the Nintendo webpage that it had multiplayer ("2 players simultaneous"), but it doesn't detail what kind of stuff, and googling just gives me info about #2. But isn't the first international release for the first game?

Fushin

I'm pretty stoked about this game. Was thinking about getting a Japanese 3DS to play it before the NA release date was announced.

Kitoro

Is there any way around using the touch screen for this game? I'm extremely interested and would buy it in a heartbeat if there was a way not to have to take a stylus to the touch screen of my pretty LE N3DS XL.

Thanks!

Meffer

Is there any way around using the touch screen for this game? I'm extremely interested and would buy it in a heartbeat if there was a way not to have to take a stylus to the touch screen of my pretty LE N3DS XL.

Thanks!

While you can just use the only buttons for battles, it's certainly more of a hassle to do some things without the stylus. But it's doable, but aside from that that game can played with only buttons.

Tusk

Just got payment requests for my buster pre-orders and for the movie. Can't wait to play that.

Also got the model set for Jimii, Murikabe, and Hikikomori. They and my Big Jibanyan are so nice.

That's from a store in the Philippines. Yo-Kai Watch launched in South East Asia in English recently.

Oh, that's neat. Wish we'd get it all at the same time as the game release.

Meffer

Does the first game have similar multiplayer mechanics? I just noticed on the Nintendo webpage that it had multiplayer ("2 players simultaneous"), but it doesn't detail what kind of stuff, and googling just gives me info about #2. But isn't the first international release for the first game?

Just trading and battling. Yokai Busters was introduced in YW2.

Meffer

So anyone grab Yokai Busters yet?

Can we import our Yokai from the other games?
That's a very good question, do you just copy your yokai over or do you actually have to transfer them over? Since this is a spin off I hope you don't have take your yokai from the main line games.

Meffer

I... never really did much with Youkai Busters.

See, I was really, really, really bad at it...

Well, let me lay some info on yo'self then. In YW2, Yokai Busters was one of the only ways to get certain things needed to get new yokai. Now it plays like the Oni Hour in the main story except you can fight back and that's the preferred way to get the most orbs possible. More orbs mean a higher score which nets you a better chance to rare items.

Now any yokai you have can used in YB and some are better than others. The best one I saw was the kuma with the poo on a stick since his attack heals him and he's rather fast. So find a yokai that works best for you.

Melon Bread

Neo Member
I have a question about Youkai Watch 2 & linking the versions with one another.
Long story short I got all 3 versions of Youkai Watch 2, played through most of Honke & lost my save. So instead of starting over on Honke I said screw it and just started back up on Shinuchi.

So now I am wondering being as now I am in Shinuchi how exactly do I link my copies of Honke & Gonso to get the Red, Blue, & Black Onis? Do I just make beginning save files for the first two games and just transfer them over to the 2 empty slots I have in Shinuchi or is there another method?

EDIT: I forgot it was posted in this thread here

Tusk

Aka Neko Dan came in today, been having a blast with it. Out of the 3 goes with the Gasha machine today, I got Inugami out of a grey capsule. Was seriously expecting a lame item, so this was a big surprise.

Tusk

I got a box of the first set of B medals. Ended up getting Usapyon, Buchinyan, that new peach nyan, and ended up with two Kyuubi. Wanted a Jibanyan, really surprised I didn't get one and ended up with two Kyuubi. Also got that samurai youkai which I also forgot the name of.

The new nyan gets you a special side mission in busters, Buchinyan gets you a special coin. So does the samurai youkai.

All the boss youkai B medals get you these orbs. I don't know what they do yet though.. Red Js and Mighty Dogs medals also get you some strong equips.

Top Bottom