• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Dragoshi1

Anyone have the U watch yet?

Have one coming next week with a box of medals, and I want to know where to get the update data or whatever for the SD card to put into the Watch.

tiijj

As a guy with a marketing major I can't wait to witness Yokai Watch taking America by storm by something only seen by the likes of Pokemon. Only this time I'll be able to watch it from the sidelines as an adult.

I have a feeling that it might not be as big as pokemon was. One big difference between the two is that youkai watch seems to be heavily tied to japanese culture than pokemon.

I'm surprised they kept the "Yokai" name intact while they heavily westernized the name of the characters and location. I hope that they don't change the story that much during the localization.

Meffer

I have a feeling that it might not be as big as pokemon was. One big difference between the two is that youkai watch seems to be heavily tied to japanese culture than pokemon.

I'm surprised they kept the "Yokai" name intact while they heavily westernized the name of the characters and location. I hope that they don't change the story that much during the localization.
Well they did the same thing with Pokemon back then as well. They westernized it like it was no tomorrow, to the point it was even too much. Anybody want "jelly donuts"?

Tusk

Wonder what the odds of the English watch being able to use Jap medals are. I wouldn't think they'd go out of their way to change too much about the toy, just put in english sounds and ship it out is all they've gotta do I'm assuming.

I got my first boss Youkai yesterday.in Busters. Thought I wouldn't at first because when playing online there's this little battle top mini game like beyblades that starts up when more than one person wants the same item.

All four of us went for the Bosses medal and I luckily won it. Was intense.
Tried going for Aka Oni all last night but his medal just wouldn't drop no matter how many times we beat him.

Meffer

Not really. First you have the setting. It honestly shouldn't be too hard to make it like an American suburb but with random kimono wearers. Hell, it's almost there already in the Japanese version. Just change yen to dollars (which is confirmed), change all the names (which is confirmed), and call rice balls donuts and you're pretty close. All things Pokemon also did, in case anybody's keeping track.

As for the Yo-Kai themselves... the vast majority of them have a Japanese aesthetic but are original designs that don't require culture-specific knowledge to really appreciate. Even the ones which are based off actual Youkai will just need a brief explanation that the show/game usually provides for every Yo-Kai (Think Pokedex but way funnier). And sure, not knowing that "real" kyuubi were not-pretty 9-tailed foxes that disguised themselves as beautiful women to trick men might mean that you don't get the "punchline" of Kyuubi's design when you realize he's a guy, but you can still like Kyuubi's design and it won't ruin the story or anything.

I don't think it'll be as popular as Pokemon over here but they should still be able to make it fairly popular as long as Densetsu doesn't give the show the LBX treatment where they cut out like 40% of the show in the dub to make some sort of bastard version of it. The game should have a good localization though, it's the show I'm more worried about.
I agree about the LBX dub, it's absolutely terrible what they did with it. They completely took out important episodes regarding the plot because I suppose they deemed too violent (the episodes were about the protags stopping a plan that was to assassinate the Prime Minister, the action itself was just as violent as previous action scenes). Hope Disney doesn't go that far.

I agree about the LBX dub, it's absolutely terrible what they did with it. The completely took out important episodes regarding the plot because I suppose they deemed to violent (the episodes were about the protags stopping a plan that was to assassinate the Prime Minister, the action itself was just as violent as previous action scenes). Hope Disney doesn't go that far.
Oh god

Yeah it was really bad.

They shouldn't have to do too much with Yo-Kai Watch other than what's necessary to make it pass as an American suburb with random kimonos, though. Which was pretty much 4Kids' entire catalog. Though christ, if you're going to change onigiris to donuts at least, you know... Make them actual fucking donuts.

Meffer

Oh god

Yeah it was really bad.

They shouldn't have to do too much with Yo-Kai Watch other than what's necessary to make it pass as an American suburb with random kimonos, though. Which was pretty much 4Kids' entire catalog. Though christ, if you're going to change onigiris to donuts at least, you know... Make them actual fucking donuts.
What if they change the onigiri samurai yokai to a jelly donut samurai yokai?

tiijj

Well they did the same thing with Pokemon back then as well. They westernized it like it was no tomorrow, to the point it was even too much. Anybody want "jelly donuts"?

Yeah, I hope they don't go overboard with that but they probably will.

Tusk

Just found out I wont be able to get Tsuchinoko Panda in Busters since it has to do with street passing apparently. ;_; So if someone gets more than one some how, hope you can trade me one if I can't figure out some other way to get him.

Have one coming next week with a box of medals, and I want to know where to get the update data or whatever for the SD card to put into the Watch.

The first use of the SD card function will be in october it seems. Has to do with these song medals.

I assume you can get the update from here. Dunno.

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/yotunes/

And here's some song samples. Best one is USA Pyons imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOqvX8j4Gow

Tusk

Press release for the show

26 episodes. Pretty old but like... I do think Dentsu's handling the dub themselves and I'm convinced it'll be LBX all over again.

Somebody please hug me. I'm scared.

Worst part is that Disney XD will probably put the show on tons of random un-needed hiatuses just because

Got two Sapphire Nyans in a row yesterday and now a third today.. Atleast I also got Dark Kyuubi today.

I've barely gone against them in battle so I never really heard their voices much. When I heard their voices while randomly going through things I was like, "Wait, wait, wait a second..." And then I read Motemoten's description and was like, "...Oh."

ChrisDM

Saw this thread on the front page and thought the game that is being localized was finally dated for North America. :( I know Nintendo said 'Holiday 2015', but I'm hoping it won't get delayed. I imagine this plan to take over out here is quite focused at this point.

P.S. For anyone in the know, what is the deal with LBX that is referenced here by people? I know the game comes out this Friday in NA and that's done by Level 5 as well, which should be awesome, but I hear the voice work on the cartoon was not well done by a friend. Is there more to it than that?

Meffer

Saw this thread on the front page and thought the game that is being localized was finally dated for North America. :( I know Nintendo said 'Holiday 2015', but I'm hoping it won't get delayed. I imagine this plan to take over out here is quite focused at this point.

P.S. For anyone in the know, what is the deal with LBX that is referenced here by people? I know the game comes out this Friday in NA and that's done by Level 5 as well, which should be awesome, but I hear the voice work on the cartoon was not well done by a friend. Is there more to it than that?
The game won't be delayed, that's for sure. Everything has been planned to release this year it turns out, so having it delayed would hurt it.
As for the LBX show dub, it's okay with the voices but the problem is the content that was cut. Entire episodes have been removed. I do suggest supporting it since the second game in the series is really good and it be great to get it here, but watching the sub is the best way to enjoy the show. The show itself is damn good imo.

ChrisDM

The game won't be delayed, that's for sure. Everything has been planned to release this year it turns out, so having it delayed would hurt it.
As for the LBX show dub, it's okay with the voices but the problem is the content that was cut. Entire episodes have been removed. I do suggest supporting it since the second game in the series is really good and it be great to get it here, but watching the sub is the best way to enjoy the show. The show itself is damn good imo.

Oh man, I just saw your post higher up going into even more detail about this. I apologize for posing this question as I was on mobile and clearly did not browse well enough.

I do definitely want to support it and it might just be my first purchase in a while. You say the second game was good, but how's this one?

I hope Crunchyroll or something has LBX subbed. That'd be real nice.

Meffer

Oh man, I just saw your post higher up going into even more detail about this. I apologize for posing this question as I was on mobile and clearly did not browse well enough.

I do definitely want to support it and it might just be my first purchase in a while. You say the second game was good, but how's this one?

I hope Crunchyroll or something has LBX subbed. That'd be real nice.
This one is the first in the series, the difference with the sequel is that there are slight changes in UI, some LBX can morph together, new LBX and the story takes place some years after the first game.
The first game is great, the sequel just has more stuff and has some of my more favorite designs. So if you liked Medabots, CustomRobo or Zoids; you will love this.

ChrisDM

This one's great! Tons of content, free DLC, fun story.
The only con I've seen is no online play, but I believe other games in the series have it so we've gotta buy this one if we want the others!

I do hope there's a sweet OT with a fair amount of people in it to talk about the game with. Always happy to talk to people who have imported a game and can give me their impressions. :D

ChrisDM

The sequel also has an amazing battle theme.
http://youtu.be/HTj2iUlaEuU

Fuuuuuuuu this is sweet! I'd say keep it coming but I feel like we're going a bit too off topic in a Yo-Kai topic.

To add something on topic, Yo-Kai Watch & the show have to be my most anticipated things for this year. I love the monster design and am upset with myself that I wasn't aware of its presence in Japan sooner.

The bugs and other wildlife are only good for trading in for points at the Jungle-whatever shop, right? If I need a bunch of rare creatures for a quest I'd rather save them, I kinda suck at the minigame.

Meffer

The bugs and other wildlife are only good for trading in for points at the Jungle-whatever shop, right? If I need a bunch of rare creatures for a quest I'd rather save them, I kinda suck at the minigame.
Yes, they're meant for the jungle shop since that the only way to get some rare items needed to some yokai. Sometimes there are quests that want a certain bug. The bugs with the star symbol means they're pristine and get more points from the jungle shop.
And if you not good at the minigame, there's those items that look like tiny black creamer cups that help you get a better chance in catching bugs.

Tusk

AHHH ;_; I've now got 5 Sapphire Nyan in Busters. Wonder if I can find someone to trade 4 of them for the other Jewel Nyan.

Also I found out the new medal set in October will have some other pretty cool medals besides Dark Kyuubi and Light Orochi.

It'll have Jibanyan S, Koma-San S, and Komajiro S. Youkai Guts K and Youkai Guts F. The three Oni, Robonyan Type F, Masked Nyan, and Jibakoma.

I found this on accident and kinda regret it. Would've wanted to have these pulls as a surprise so don't click if you feel the same way lol.

This game has so many little details/seemingly random stuff. Some weirdo gave me a red box one night and I'm pretty sure he said to never open it. A while later I'm running around trying to catch one of those tsuchinoko things when Fumi slips and falls and the box opens anyway. o_o

I also don't quite get how the street lights work. Crossing them without pressing the walk button seems to make a blue oni fight spawn, but crossing them the right way still made the blue oni show up once or twice. I don't really know what it was saying to me, but I guess I'll just say "no" to avoid getting my poor yokai mashed.

Anyway, having a blast so far!

Yes, they're meant for the jungle shop since that the only way to get some rare items needed to some yokai. Sometimes there are quests that want a certain bug. The bugs with the star symbol means they're pristine and get more points from the jungle shop.
And if you not good at the minigame, there's those items that look like tiny black creamer cups that help you get a better chance in catching bugs.

Thanks. I guess if I don't need starred ones for quests it's cool, the creamer thing helps.

Tusk

This game has so many little details/seemingly random stuff. Some weirdo gave me a red box one night and I'm pretty sure he said to never open it. A while later I'm running around trying to catch one of those tsuchinoko things when Fumi slips and falls and the box opens anyway. o_o

I also don't quite get how the street lights work. Crossing them without pressing the walk button seems to make a blue oni fight spawn, but crossing them the right way still made the blue oni show up once or twice. I don't really know what it was saying to me, but I guess I'll just say "no" to avoid getting my poor yokai mashed.

Thanks. I guess if I don't need starred ones for quests it's cool, the creamer thing helps.

The blue masked Youkai with the swords can only be befriended through that fight. But he is a super high level.

Not sure what the Ao Oni fight is about though.

You're playing 2 right? I could trade you the Youkai needed to get Nettaballerina and Bushinyan if you want. Or atleast the ones I still have, pretty sure I've still got them all though.

Could also trade back and forth the Youkai I have so far needed to summon the other legend Youkai.

I beat Dondoro or what's-his-name. "Recommended Level 65" my ass. >_>

EDIT: Wait... I'm gonna have to do this fight daily until I get the item drop I need? OH FUCK ME

ChrisDM

Hearing about stuff like this makes me crave the game so much. Come on NOA! Gimme that date! :D

Tusk

Accidently traded away my Wondernyan last night. ;_; Was showing a guy I had him then he shows me he has Yamabuki Oni so I jokingly offer to trade them thinking he wouldn't trade a legend away. But then he went and accepted it lol

Worst part is I accidently backed out of the trade then he got offline. I miss that Wondernyan. Took forever to level it up.

I beat Dondoro or what's-his-name. "Recommended Level 65" my ass. >_>

EDIT: Wait... I'm gonna have to do this fight daily until I get the item drop I need? OH FUCK ME

You can just save before fighting him. Pretty sure you get a shortcut to go down there so you don't have to do a bunch of running.

Also, if it's a challenge for you, you should farm the story final boss for max revives. Will also get you some XP.

I can beat him just fine with my team of level 86's to 89's, though I do plan to level them up more later. It's more that the fight just drags on and on forever, even though I'm 20 levels higher than what the game recommends for the quest.

And yeah you get a shortcut, thank god. lol

The blue masked Youkai with the swords can only be befriended through that fight. But he is a super high level.

Not sure what the Ao Oni fight is about though.

You're playing 2 right? I could trade you the Youkai needed to get Nettaballerina and Bushinyan if you want. Or atleast the ones I still have, pretty sure I've still got them all though.

Could also trade back and forth the Youkai I have so far needed to summon the other legend Youkai.

You mean through the red box fight? Guess I was lucky to get some other random fight out of it that was at least winnable.

Yep, playing 2. I might have to take you up on that trade offer, I'm still very early in the game so I'm not sure when all that stuff will come into play. :)

Hearing about stuff like this makes me crave the game so much. Come on NOA! Gimme that date! :D

Yeah you're in for a treat. Not sure how the first games stack up to the second but there's just so many neat details throughout the world.

Tusk

You mean through the red box fight? Guess I was lucky to get some other random fight out of it that was at least winnable.

Yep, playing 2. I might have to take you up on that trade offer, I'm still very early in the game so I'm not sure when all that stuff will come into play. :)

Yeah you're in for a treat. Not sure how the first games stack up to the second but there's just so many neat details throughout the world.

Do you have the medal exchange thing unlocked? Once you do I can get you them. They'll probably make the game really really easy for you though lol.

Well the early game atleast. Post game is still pretty tough.

nekobi

I just got mine and was wondering how that will work as well. I'm not sure if there even is update data yet since the new U medals aren't out until October. All of my Busters medals seem to work in it so far so I'm assuming we'll get update data when that set comes out.

I'm currently playing Busters (Shiroinutai) with my husband (Akanekodan) and having a blast! For those of you scared to import it due to it being in Japanese- my husband knows no Japanese and has been able to play it just fine and really enjoys it. It's pretty funny since I bought both versions and told him one was his to play as a joke..but he actually tried and it is now hooked, haha!

I do have a question for those of you playing it though- How does the rank system work after the main story? Does it just depend on how many missions you do? Or how many orbs you collect total? It seems like I just randomly rank up after a while but it's taking forever after 10 (I'm only 15 now) so I just wondered. :)

Also, did anyone see this? It looks adorable! I might have to snag one of these if I can find anywhere to buy it!~
img_main1.jpg

Meffer

There's already a thread for the release date but it makes since that it's mentioned in this thread.
The NA release date for Yokai Watch will be November 6th which is great since it will before Black Friday. As for the medals and toy line in general, Hasbro will be releasing them in January. I'm not sure if japanese medals will work with the NA version of the game but I'll certainly find out when the game comes out. If the QR codes are the same, they likely will.

Bladenic

There's already a thread for the release date but it makes since that it's mentioned in this thread.
The NA release date for Yokai Watch will be November 6th which is great since it will before Black Friday. As for the medals and toy line in general, Hasbro will be releasing them in January. I'm not sure if japanese medals will work with the NA version of the game but I'll certainly find out when the game comes out. If the QR codes are the same, they likely will.

That release date is problematic, now I don't know if I want to buy right at purchase or wait to see if the game will be on sale during BF. Either way, HYPE. This, ToZ, and Trails of Cold Steel will keep me warm during the winter.

silva1991

Does this game have a good story? I'm not interested in just collecting monsters with a meh story.

game looks so interesting.

Meffer

Does this game have a good story? I'm not interested in just collecting monsters with a meh story.

game looks so interesting.
The story is more intensive than Pokemon's games if that's what you're wondering. The game has different arcs throughout that can be described like episodes. The story is pretty humorous.

Tusk

I just got mine and was wondering how that will work as well. I'm not sure if there even is update data yet since the new U medals aren't out until October. All of my Busters medals seem to work in it so far so I'm assuming we'll get update data when that set comes out.

I'm currently playing Busters (Shiroinutai) with my husband (Akanekodan) and having a blast! For those of you scared to import it due to it being in Japanese- my husband knows no Japanese and has been able to play it just fine and really enjoys it. It's pretty funny since I bought both versions and told him one was his to play as a joke..but he actually tried and it is now hooked, haha!

I do have a question for those of you playing it though- How does the rank system work after the main story? Does it just depend on how many missions you do? Or how many orbs you collect total? It seems like I just randomly rank up after a while but it's taking forever after 10 (I'm only 15 now) so I just wondered. :)

Also, did anyone see this? It looks adorable! I might have to snag one of these if I can find anywhere to buy it!~
img_main1.jpg

I managed to pre-order that plush. Pretty cool it plays all the medals in his voice. :b

They were on HLJ, but the plush, the binder, and the medal set all sold out a little after I ordered mine.

You could find them on Rakuten possibly. Or if you're super lucky it'll be back up on HLJ after release, but it's not too likely.

Edit: Also I think think the rank system works with how many missions you do. I tend to go up more when I'm doing harder boss fights online. Gotten up to 20 so far.

Tusk

Geez. I love Pokemon, but seeing some of the fans get so defensive whenever Youkai Watch gets brought up is so annoying.

Started typing out a big rant but stopped myself.

Nice to know the game is coming out in November. Really excited for that, hope they don't make it so Jap QR codes don't work in the localized game.

Meffer

Geez. I love Pokemon, but seeing some of the fans get so defensive whenever Youkai Watch gets brought up is so annoying.

Started typing out a big rant but stopped myself.

Nice to know the game is coming out in November. Really excited for that, hope they don't make it so Jap QR codes don't work in the localized game.

I've been seeing it a lot of it here as well. It's sad since YW does excel at some things that Pokemon has been lacking and that being the world you explore is just so much fun and pretty to look at. And saying fights are shallow is silly as well. Don't me wrong Pokemon's battle system is deep and very meta but YW is very involving as well. Preparing your team is the most important thing, even how your yokai are placed in the team determines how effective they are.
I LOVE Pokemon, I grew up with it. But it is nice to see another one of it's kind taking a step up in the playing field and taking a fresh take to the monster RPG and doing very well. Let's have both coexist, it's like having a cake and eating it too.

Also, YW made Pogs popular again.
pogs.jpg

medium_336757_3829220660.jpg

Only now they actually have use.

Holy shit! Talk about a blast from the past. I used to collect these things when I was a kid. I freaking loved them.

edit: OT I can't wait for the first one to release over here. I was considering importing a copy from Japan but I'm just going to wait for the localization. I still haven't jumped much into Yokai Busters yet. It looked great from what little I did play. I just have so much backlog lmao

Top Bottom