• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

ULTROS! said:
I hope I'm not the only one to say this but this is probably one of my favorite games this gen and one of my favorite post-Square Enix games (my only favorites are this, KH2, Star Ocean 3, Star Ocean 4, and Valkyrie Profile 2).

In my top 5 this gen. NieR defense force !

Guiberu

I would just like to voice my continuing enjoyment of this game. I recently got back off my hols and dove right back in. It's freakishly engrossing.

<3

ULTROS! said:
I hope I'm not the only one to say this but this is probably one of my favorite games this gen and one of my favorite post-Square Enix games (my only favorites are this, KH2, Star Ocean 3, Star Ocean 4, and Valkyrie Profile 2).

Nier is maybe the most memorable game of this gen. It has personality, something most modern games lack.

Volcynika

I'm at the boss of the
temple
, I've had no issues with this dungeon. A lot of the stuff is kinda cool (albeit easy, but cool!). Just had to take a break to do some stuff.

Also, the dialogue continues to be so, so AWESOME.

Also, the quest Bon Apetit! (get a recipe) I've looked all over the library but haven't found any icon or anything. Help?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Volcynika said:
I'm at the boss of the
temple
, I've had no issues with this dungeon. A lot of the stuff is kinda cool (albeit easy, but cool!). Just had to take a break to do some stuff.

Also, the dialogue continues to be so, so AWESOME.

Also, the quest Bon Apetit! (get a recipe) I've looked all over the library but haven't found any icon or anything. Help?

Immediately turn towards your left and approach the bookcase right next to the door - an orange examine arrow should pop up.

matmanx1

Nier continues to be surprisingly enjoyable. Just did the Forest part and it was unique to say the least. Kudo's to devs who try and succeed at bringing some personality and originality in to their games!

Also I don't think I've seen anyone mention this and it certainly deserves some props but the framerate is rock solid and there's no screen tearing at all. Draw distance is also impressive. So yeah, the absolute graphic quality may not be FFXIII good but Nier certainly gets the important stuff right in the technical department.

Volcynika

I've already done enough quests to get that 30 quest trophy, can I skip the rest of the ones that are annoying (the merchant one with the goat hides sucks because of the item's rarity) in this section of the game?

Also, did the forest part myself just now, pretty cool!

Volcynika said:
I've already done enough quests to get that 30 quest trophy, can I skip the rest of the ones that are annoying (the merchant one with the goat hides sucks because of the item's rarity) in this section of the game?

Also, did the forest part myself just now, pretty cool!

Just kill a bunch of goats near the first dungeon. The zone is like RIGHT there so it's easy.

Okay, let's decide if this will be a game that I can enjoy.

I understand it's somewhat like DMC? I like that game, but I hate the fact that you have to do the whole level again if you die. I hate doing large parts over and over again if I keep dying.

Difficulty is also something I don't really want. I play God of War on easy for example and gave up on Ninja Gaiden when I got to Alma (also partly because of the whole part you have to do before you get to her).

So. Yes? No? Or "Yes, but wait for a budget release"?

Ridley327

It is absolutely nothing like DMC. It's a straight-up ARPG with a lot more on-the-fly combat options than most games in the genre.

mjc

So I watched parts of that quick look, and the game looks pretty interesting. The menus don't seem very appealing, but that's alright I suppose. Is most of the game so barren looking, or are there pretty detailed environments in some locations? I'm definitely getting Shadow of the Colossus/Ico vibes from that.

anddo0

I love this game! It's a pleasant surprise, and a joy to play. The graphics are hit or miss, but otherwise people shouldn't sleep on this title.

Chrange

Banned
drizzle said:
(seriously, Brad sucks at videogames and hates every single one of them?)
When's the last time you watched a Giantbomb video and thought "man, they are REALLY good at this game!"

So, I got ending A this afternoon.

To quote a mind more brilliant than my own...

Buy this fucking game!

The layered audio was worth the price for me but it also offers just about everything I ask of the genre. Leveling, jump button, multiple weapons, "open" world, solid combat, mild platforming, stat altering items... Game rules.

The only real complaint I have is the lack of lock on. Other than that, one of the best games I've played in quite sometime, easily the best ARPG I've played in years.

This is most definitely a, "if you don't buy this, you're part of the problem" situation.

So... Anyone find any performance differences between the two versions?

FrostuTheNinja said:
Anyone find any performance differences between the two versions?

According to Beyond 3d, the 360 version runs at a solid 30fps. I can say the same about the PS3 version from experiencing it.

I guess it will get covered in the next Eurogamer Face Off, so we will see!

matmanx1

Yeah as I said in my earlier post the performance is rock solid. (On PS3 here, btw) No tearing and nice stable framerate.

You get the rideable Boar once you finish the villager's quest to kill the large boar in the northern plains and then go back after turning the quest in. The boar will be sleeping near wherever you enter the plains and you can do some pretty mean sprints and powerslides with him!

Volcynika

Just got to the (major spoiler)
part where Yonah is kidnapped and the second part of the game begins!

The previous boss = so good.

matmanx1 said:
You get the rideable Boar once you finish the villager's quest to kill the large boar in the northern plains and then go back after turning the quest in.

This was one of the best moments in gaming, ever. I heard about it and thought, "I can't wait until I find a boar." Walked outside of town and there was one sleeping. I laughed pretty hard when I first drifted with the boar but I must say... The boar's drift controls quite well compared to some other modern racers. Seriously, solid "racing" mechanics in an action RPG? I love this game.

I implore that people on the fence check this game out. Hell, if you find yourself a fan of RPG's, check it out.

Cool story, excellent music, and solid gameplay.

Edit:

FateBreaker said:
Nier is so good. I feel silly for saying this, but I think it might be better than FFXIII and many other rpg offerings.

I was going to make this comment... But ultimately, decided against it.

It's good to see other like-minded gamers around.

Oyashiro

Yay, got the boar! So much fun. The city of Facade is really cool, and I'm enjoying this dungeon quite a bit. Loving the puzzles and all that.

Like some others have said, the graphics in this game are not that great, but it's very Ico/SotC-like... and I love that. Really beautiful in it's own way.

Just wondering... for those of you who are further ahead or have beaten the game, does the gameplay get more fun later on? Because at the moment, I'd classify it as the weakest part of the game.

Nier is so good. I feel silly for saying this, but I think it might be better than FFXIII and many other rpg offerings.

I feel like this is a bit like Darksiders in which it does a lot of things well and is a constant pleasure to play, but few things really become staggering in its amazingness. A sequel, with a bigger budget, could probably be excellent (like the inevitable Darksiders 2).

But, yeah. Very solid game for its obvious so-so budget.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So this is basically ICO as an RPG?

Anyway I love Facade.
Weird ass masks, over 140,000 rules to follow.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
schennmu said:
According to Beyond 3d, the 360 version runs at a solid 30fps. I can say the same about the PS3 version from experiencing it.

I guess it will get covered in the next Eurogamer Face Off, so we will see!
I'd rather hear from Lens of Truth, but I'll take what I can get to be informed at the moment. Still waiting to buy~

Man this game really impresses me. The lighthouse lady quest line and the entire introduction to the city of facade were incredible. I love how alive the npcs and the different cultures make the world feel. This game has what FF12 lacked for me in terms of getting me to care about the world I'm playing in, in spite of it also having a similarly rich worldview.

Oh, does anyone know how to catch sharks? I imagine they are available on the beach, but I seem to have completed all the fisherman quests (5 of them.) Are there more? There are definitely things I have no chance of catching still.

Volcynika

pancakesandsex said:
Man this game really impresses me. The lighthouse lady quest line and the entire introduction to the city of facade were incredible. I love how alive the npcs and the different cultures make the world feel. This game has what FF12 lacked for me in terms of getting me to care about the world I'm playing in, in spite of it also having a similarly rich worldview.

Oh, does anyone know how to catch sharks? I imagine they are available on the beach, but I seem to have completed all the fisherman quests (5 of them.) Are there more? There are definitely things I have no chance of catching still.

Use sardines as your bait at the beach by the old man.

Volcynika

pancakesandsex said:
Are there any additional fishing quests later?

Also: DREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAMDREAM

Yeah, I think there's a total of 9 fishing quest things.

:lol DREAMDREAM

Damn, I got GoW3 and SSFIV on backlog but I can't put this down, even after finishing it twice!

Also I got lucky with the eagle egg farming today :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm surprised the game is getting such glowing reviews from you guys. This is great news.

I was thinking about getting Replicant, but at this rate, the pricing is prohibitive for something I'm not sure I'm going to like.

I may have to just pick up the regular US version of the game. How long is the game, btw?

Chrange

Banned
thetrin said:
I'm surprised the game is getting such glowing reviews from you guys. This is great news.

I was thinking about getting Replicant, but at this rate, the pricing is prohibitive for something I'm not sure I'm going to like.

I may have to just pick up the regular US version of the game. What say you, GAF?
Aren't they the exact same game, just with a different main character?

thetrin said:

I may have to just pick up the regular US version of the game. How long is the game, btw?

It's my favorite game of 2010 so far, has one of the best soundtracks ever, and is a game that is constantly enjoyable because it always changes what it wants you to think it is. As long as you know that the graphics are going to suck and the actual combat is pretty basic, you should have a fun time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chrange said:
Aren't they the exact same game, just with a different main character?

Yep, which matters to me greatly. I'm not really all that excited about playing as Nick Nolte.

This game is great. Really fucking awesome.

I hope they have some downloadable costumes for the main character though. I really hate his get-up.

Also, is there a database that has the text from all of the loading screens?

john tv

Trin - it's worth playing the US one or at least the 360 JP one for the English voices -- the emotional impact will be lessened considerably if you play with JP voices IMO (unless you're like crazy fluent in JP, but even so, I think the US actors did a better job than the JP actors). Just my two cents, and take them knowing that I worked on the game. Just giving my honest advice based on experience with them both. :)

thetrin

john tv said:
Trin - it's worth playing the US one or at least the 360 JP one for the English voices -- the emotional impact will be lessened considerably if you play with JP voices IMO (unless you're like crazy fluent in JP, but even so, I think the US actors did a better job than the JP actors). Just my two cents, and take them knowing that I worked on the game. Just giving my honest advice based on experience with them both. :)

Well, if that's the case, then I'll pick up the US version! I'm not super fluent (and not living in Japan anymore, my Japanese ability to deteriorating quickly T_T) , but I do like to go with the better actors, no matter which language.

I didn't realize 8-4 worked on Nier. My hands are tied. I have to support gaffers. :)

Got stuck in the
resident evil
section. I have the
moon and star keys
, but I can't seem to find the rest or get to the
butler's chamber

Sacha

pancakesandsex said:
Got stuck in the
resident evil
section. I have the
moon and star keys
, but I can't seem to find the rest or get to the
butler's chamber

Did you open
the star key door ? It's near where you find Emil. It leads to a corridor with 6 doors. You'll get another key to access the butler's chamber in one of the rooms on the left or on the right (I don't remember which one). It's a bit hard to see, just scan the six rooms thoroughly and you'll find it.

I'll tell you something else I love. The fact that although some side-quests are a little boring, at least your character and Weiss have a little bit of banter about most of them. It draws you in that little bit more because of it.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait, so

This game is good? Like, good good? Not lowered expectations good?

Color me surprised. And kind of delighted.

More like, Very good :D or even ....

burns-excellent.jpg

west

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait, so

This game is good? Like, good good? Not lowered expectations good?

Color me surprised. And kind of delighted.

The Giant Bomb Quicklook looked booring as hell, but this thread just got me to order.

Don't dissapoint me GAF! :D

Top Bottom