• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

So GAF, let me be clear, Im very poor. Every game I have preordered has been covered in full by trade-ins. Now, I can squeeze out one more game. Now, I previously had 0 interest in this game (not in a negative way, it just was never on my radar), but you all have pretty much made it seem like I'm a horrible person that enjoys pushing old women holding babies down steep flights of stairs for not owning this game.

Damn you GAF, I assure you that I do NOT enjoy that! So, let me ask you this...
1)How hard is the game? Length? Any grinding required? Also, how about the saves? If I die, do I have to travel the world again to replay the part that killed me, or do I start right where I was?

If the answers are to my liking, I will be picking this up today.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The important thing about Nier is that its in many respects a very traditional ARPG, particularly its structure and pacing.

The first hour or so are basically a quick guided tour of the game's many features - the Quicklook just shows part of that process, specifically a basic training dungeon culminating with the first magic "unlock" and boss encounter.

I've got to honest and say that the more I play the game, the more disappointed I am with the critical reception its got. It just seems to me that most commentators are overly focussed on graphics over gameplay and in some cases have shown a bloody-minded unwillingness to accept that when you trade scope for focus (in visual terms) compromises will need to be made.

The saddest thing is that this looks like its going vindicate the FFXIII's team's strategy of trading feature-set for polish.

I say sad even though I quite liked FFXIII (enough to put 110 hours in), Nier is a better game in every single respect bar visuals.

Ricker

TheApatheticOne said:
So GAF, let me be clear, Im very poor. Every game I have preordered has been covered in full by trade-ins. Now, I can squeeze out one more game. Now, I previously had 0 interest in this game (not in a negative way, it just was never on my radar), but you all have pretty much made it seem like I'm a horrible person that enjoys pushing old women holding babies down steep flights of stairs for not owning this game.

1)How hard is the game? Length? Any grinding required? Also, how about the saves? If I die, do I have to travel the world again to replay the part that killed me, or do I start right where I was?

About the saving,the part I stopped playing,in the temple,with some puzzles(like do not run to get through this area while avoiding missiles)had a long stretch without being able to save,but for the most part,they are well placed...this one all of a sudden wasn`t,after some awesome first time stuff but if you have to redo it,it sucks.

I`m getting this game though because everything before that was awesome I just rented the game since it was still pretty much up in the air on release if the game would be long and good enough...now I know it is so i`ll buy it.

Sacha

TheApatheticOne said:

The game isn't hard, as long as you plan on easy or normal difficulty (enemies are rather long to kill in hard). You can finish your first playthrough in around 15-20 hours, and you really don't have to grind.

Glad to see more jumping on this band wagon. Once again just going to say this game gets better and better as you progress. :D

Sacha said:
Did you open
the star key door ? It's near where you find Emil. It leads to a corridor with 6 doors. You'll get another key to access the butler's chamber in one of the rooms on the left or on the right (I don't remember which one). It's a bit hard to see, just scan the six rooms thoroughly and you'll find it.

Yes I can get to the 6 chambers but cannot find the next key.

Jinaar

This cannot be reiterated enough:

When you first get your fishing pole and lure, DO NOT start fishing near the old man that gives you it.

Then DO NOT head left of him to fish on the pier closer to the huge fishing boat.

Please run towards the lighthouse, and instead of turning left in the caverns of the town to the lighthouse, continue running to the beach area where the kids are playing with the fat seals. Fish there.

Or else you will waste 40 minutes swearing at the top of your lungs at why fishing is SO GOD DAMN HARD!

I got good enough to fish a shark out with level 0 fishing skill though :) but man was I frustrated. Then fishing at the proper location and getting the
Shaman Fish
first try was nice.

EDIT: The game has been alot of fun so far, and all I've been doing is questing so far. 12 hours into the game and I have close to 20% of quests done and
this is just after meeting Kaine for the first time

Its really a hoot. Too bad the Main Character looks like Gary Busey merged with Nick Nolte and then came back in zombie form.

Horrifying. Literally.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Jinaar said:
This cannot be reiterated enough:

When you first get your fishing pole and lure, DO NOT start fishing near the old man that gives you it.

Then DO NOT head left of him to fish on the pier closer to the huge fishing boat.

Please run towards the lighthouse, and instead of turning left in the caverns of the town to the lighthouse, continue running to the beach area where the kids are playing with the fat seals. Fish there.

Or else you will waste 40 minutes swearing at the top of your lungs at why fishing is SO GOD DAMN HARD!

I got good enough to fish a shark out with level 0 fishing skill though :) but man was I frustrated. Then fishing at the proper location and getting the
Shaman Fish
first try was nice.

Also, if you're playing the 360 version, ignore the instructions and just pull back on the left stick when the fish bites (it'll be a big dip). If you press A as directed when the fish first bites, you'll always lose it. Just pull back on the left stick when it bites and whittle down its health bar until it's either gone completely (Nier will bring in the fish automatically), or if you think the health bar is low enough, you can chance it and press A to attempt to bring in the fish. This doesn't always work though - safest bet is letting Nier bring it in when the health bar reaches zero.

I had trouble with fishing on the 360 version until I realized you shouldn't press A.

Jinaar said:
Its really a hoot. Too bad the Main Character looks like Gary Busey merged with Nick Nolte and then came back in zombie form.

My number-one reason for wanting to play the Replicant version of the game. Gestalt Nier looks like ass. I'll take the stock JRPG bishounen any day.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
pancakesandsex said:
Yes I can get to the 6 chambers but cannot find the next key.

It's behind
a chandelier. Extremely annoying placement. Just look for a chandelier hiding most of a sink/mirror

matmanx1

Nier himself is sort of shockingly ugly but for me that's part of the charm. He's a pretty normal unattractive human being who also happens to be a father and a village handyman. He has a huge heart underneath all those rough edges and leaving aside all of the fantasy aspects of the game he's easier for me to relate to than most ARPG characters because of it.

Besides, you'll spend most of your game time looking at Nier's well muscled back and not his ugly mug. The dude is very well cut!

And replying to TheApatheticOne Nier is pretty friendly about save points and game overs. I died to one of the bosses a couple of times and it starts you back out in the boss room instead of back at the last save point. And I had used all of my healing items in the previous fight and it even gave me those back also!

matmanx1 said:
And replying to TheApatheticOne Nier is pretty friendly about save points and game overs. I died to one of the bosses a couple of times and it starts you back out in the boss room instead of back at the last save point. And I had used all of my healing items in the previous fight and it even gave me those back also!

Nice! I know it varies from person to person, but nothing turns me off more than having to replay large sections of game. The more and more I read, I'm very excited to play this.

RE: Fishing - It took me a bit to figure out the mechanics as well. Essentially it's like FFXI fishing, except you have to hold down on the stick and rock it back and forth depending on where the fish is swimming. At first I was pulling back on the stick and releasing it, which makes you lose the fish, don't do this!

lljride

Ok, GAF hype + $45 at Kmart means I'll be getting this soon. Quick question though, most people that are praising the game are saying it makes up for the disappointing FFXIII (which I loved). Can someone reassure me that this game is really good on its own and not just compared to FFXIII? Or alternatively, anyone that genuinely likes both?

I saw a lot of similar comments regarding Resonance of Fate, and to be honest that game never really grabbed me (played for about 12 hours). I know they're 3 completely different games but comparisons are still being made.

lljride said:
Ok, GAF hype + $45 at Kmart means I'll be getting this soon. Quick question though, most people that are praising the game are saying it makes up for the disappointing FFXIII (which I loved). Can someone reassure me that this game is really good on its own and not just compared to FFXIII? Or alternatively, anyone that genuinely likes both?

I saw a lot of similar comments regarding Resonance of Fate, and to be honest that game never really grabbed me (played for about 12 hours). I know they're 3 completely different games but comparisons are still being made.

I also like FF13, this game is really good on it's own.

Kyoufu

lljride said:

I played FFXIII for 105 hours and I prefer Nier despite having played it waaaay less. The only thing FFXIII has that Nier doesn't is the visuals/polish.

lljride said:

I picked up Resonance of Fate due to all the praise it was receiving here, and already sold it. Not that it was a BAD game, just not my cup of tea, although everything about the game and that I saw of it said that it should be. GAF rarely leads me the wrong way though. With this being a bit more simplistic and action-y it looks like, Im sure that it will lead itself to be a bit more my style at least.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TheApatheticOne said:
I picked up Resonance of Fate due to all the praise it was receiving here, and already sold it. Not that it was a BAD game, just not my cup of tea, although everything about the game and that I saw of it said that it should be. GAF rarely leads me the wrong way though. With this being a bit more simplistic and action-y it looks like, Im sure that it will lead itself to be a bit more my style at least.

Same here, I sold Resonance of Fate not because it was a bad game but it wasn't my cup of tea. Nier is more of my style or something with a TB/ATB system.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hope this game at least does a Valkyria Chronicles (sold weak at the start but picked up eventually).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Damn you GAF. I'm going to have to go out and buy this today (even though the Reach beta is adding new playlists today!)

this game is fucking awesome.

in fact it so awesome that anyone whom is an arpg fan must play it.

the music, locations (the view when you get to the lost shrine is amazing), crazy ass bullet hell sequences, magic, ect. are so good.

plus having a story start out the way this one did helps to.

thetrin said:
Damn you GAF. I'm going to have to go out and buy this today (even though the Reach beta is adding new playlists today!)

Work blocking GAF would be one the the best/worst things they could block. I love how active everyone is here, and wish ya'll were closer as obviously we all come here due to common interests. However, GAF is the best salesman on earth when something is good. GAF has sold me on so many games I had no idea about or had previously no interest in.

After this thread, chalk another one up for GAF. GAF 1, TheApatheticOne 0.

Nier get.

JonStark said:
Can't... stop... playing ! So much story revealed in NG+ TT

I'd like to go back to Nier as soon as possible but I don't want to burn myself out.

Is there really that much more story? Are they extended or new/extra scenes? And are they voiced cut scenes or more written dialogue like
at the beginning of new game+?

yeah i was pretty down on the game before. i mean it's fucking cavia and for the most part they make pretty crappy games.

but they did good here - real good! so i'll try not to be so hard on them in the future :p

luxarific

Nork unification denier
cosmicblizzard said:
I should've asked this a while ago. If I liked Drakengard, will I like this?

I loved both Drakengards and I love Nier. If you remember the
cubes and red balls
in Drakengard 2, you'll be seeing them in Nier once more.

In many ways, Nier very much feels like the Bastard Son of Drakengard, even though the plot connection between the two is pretty tenuous. (I haven't finished my first play through of Nier though, so the relation between the two gameworlds might be more than just
Caim and his dragon bringing the Black Scrawl disease to Nier's world in Drakengard's Ending E
. (At least, I assume that's the connection (besides weapons with the same name)? I haven't finished Nier yet though, so I could be wrong.)

luxarific said:
In many ways, Nier very much feels like the Bastard Son of Drakengard, even though the plot connection between the two is pretty tenuous. (I haven't finished my first play through of Nier though, so the relation between the two gameworlds might be more than just
Caim and his dragon bringing the Black Scrawl disease to Nier's world in Drakengard's Ending E
. (At least, I assume that's the connection (besides weapons with the same name)? I haven't finished Nier yet though, so I could be wrong.)

Fucking hell that sounds amazing.

Cavia is the greatest.

ULTROS!

This game is
depressing: almost everyone you know dies or something really horrible happens
Edit: Big Spoiler

ULTROS! said:
This game is
You didn't play Drakengard 1 did you? This is pretty bog standard for Cavia titles.

ULTROS!

ZephyrFate said:
You didn't play Drakengard 1 did you? This is pretty bog standard for Cavia titles.

So Bullet Witch is also like that? :p

Sacha

FrostuTheNinja said:
I'd like to go back to Nier as soon as possible but I don't want to burn myself out.

Is there really that much more story? Are they extended or new/extra scenes? And are they voiced cut scenes or more written dialogue like
at the beginning of new game+?

There are new (voiced) cutscenes and new little dialogues
(but not "texts" like at the beginning of NG+)
during gameplay all through your second playthrough. You really can't play Nier and not go through all the endings (or at least ending B), there's so much more to learn about the story !

ULTROS! said:
So Bullet Witch is also like that? :p
No Bullet Witch's universe isn't as developed as Drakengard or Nier I guess. It doesn't really have many characters and I don't think any of them die.

Cavia takes great joy in this sort of thing.

I think Bulletwitch is actually a great example because
the one douchey toolkit you hate/expect to die throughout the entirety of the game never dies.

The only standard for Cavia is that there is no standard. They will find a way to take things you like and attempt to make you hate them. Eventually the things you hate may turn into things you like, that's when Cavia will find a way to make you hate them again.

Think about Drakengard 1. That game was pretty well fucked up. Still people began to love it and clamored for more of the same in the sequel. Cavia knowingly did their best to disappoint the hell out of them.

ULTROS! said:
This game is

Thanks a lot for that god awful use of the spoiler tag, now you've just spoilt a significant portion of this game for me before I can even afford to get it. As BlazingDarkness said, learn to use the damn spoiler tag properly in future.

Hamster

Just finished the game in a little under 14 hours and enjoyed my playthrough alot. A few drawbacks were the constant re-using of old dungeons and the fieldmusic that went from awesome to annoying in a few hours (i don't think vocals are suited for music you'll hear over and over again but that's just my opinion). The bosses were easily the peak of the game and the story kept me interested till the end (also enjoyed the references to other games).

Thanks alot for making me buy this game gaf.

Top Bottom