• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up a copy of Nier earlier today purely based on GAF's recommendation.

When I went to the Gamestop to go pick it up (don't worry guys, I usually shop at Amazon, but Gamestop was the closest place to buy something on a whim), the guy at the counter said "eeeh, I would advise against it. Have you seen the graphics?"

I replied "Funny, all of my friends have been raving about it, and I trust their opinions."

He sold me the game, and I came home. I just finished the first dungeon and I have to say I'm really enjoying the game so far. I realize I'm early on, but the utilization of spells and the visceral combat really does it for me. Not to mention that the game is oozing with Ueda influence, and you can never go wrong there.

It's my birthday tomorrow, and I'm actually asking for a copy of Replicant for my collection.

That's how much I like the game so far! I want two copies of it!

Majmun

The game is really amazing so far.
Got the Ps3 version since last week and I'm enjoying the game a lot. I really love Drakengard and Drakengard II. So I had to check it out. Since I've heard it has a referece to those games.

But the game doesn't really remind me of the Drakengard games, except for its obscurity.

The only thing I don't like about the game is the fishing, the fetch-quests and the massive use of bloom.

The music is out of this world amazing. So good. The voice acting and the characters are great too. I don't really mind the mediocre graphics. Good character and enemy designs make up for it. And the game runs great, too. I love the fast character movement.

This has really become a surprise hit for me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love how fast the main character moves. It makes traveling far less monotonous.

Also, boars are a blast to ride. I just wish they turned quicker.

Volcynika

thetrin said:
I love how fast the main character moves. It makes traveling far less monotonous.

Also, bores are a blast to ride. I just wish they turned quicker.

That boar that still roams the northern plains? I always barrel through him whenever I'm on a boar :lol

sarcoa

I'm nearly positive gaf exists in a sort of alternate dimension. On the blogs and other boards Nier's getting eaten alive, both by people who have played it as well as the inevitable dipshits who pile on "lol thx for saving me $60" comments. It's outright dismissal is insane.

15 hours in and loving it btw.

sarcoa said:
I'm nearly positive gaf exists in a sort of alternate dimension. On the blogs and other boards Nier's getting eaten alive, both by people who have played it as well as the inevitable dipshits who pile on "lol thx for saving me $60" comments. It's outright dismissal is insane.

gaf has good taste

I see a few others from the Deadly Premonition thread in here, is this also a good budget title? Is there anywhere cheap to pick it up? This looks interesting.

NoRéN

Mr_Guillotine said:
I see a few others from the Deadly Premonition thread in here, is this also a good budget title? Is there anywhere cheap to pick it up? This looks interesting.
Not a budget title but I hear K-Mart has it on sale this week.
Saw it in-store so I doubt it's in the ads.

dramatis

Cep said:
I must be thinking of the wrong site.

These people, do not have good taste.

And you're one of us :D

What GAF has more of is niche-gamer taste, whereas reviewers review for the 'average' player, leaving them with seemingly no taste for anything but the casual.

Back on track: How big would you guys who played the game say Nier's world is?

I think this is one of the few times where I COMPLETELY don't understand the hate. Graphics suck - I got it. Fishing is stupid - I know (but optional!).

"It can't decide what it wants to be."
THAT's the beauty of the game! It always changes! I don't understand this...people were complaining that JRPGs become too boring BECAUSE it's the same thing.
Now we have a game that blends a ton of genres in, and that's bad?

putarorex

Finished the game. Overall, it wasn't bad. I really liked the combat and the story had its moments, but the twitch-based puzzles in the desert temple and the voice acting really turned me off. Some of the lines from Kaine and Emil were pretty damn cringe-worthy, but Grimiore Weiss was alright (I think with all the decent voice acting you get from US games these days, I am having a harder time letting crappy acting and dialogue slide). I would have preferred the Japanese dialogue (I bought the Xbox 360 version).

luxarific

Nork unification denier
pancakesandsex said:
Anyone know where to get an eagle egg?

It's in the
Aerie. Near the chief's house, or near the houses on the level below the chief's house (accessible via ladder)

EDIT: With all the fishing, I've managed to crack the rubber knob(?) cover on my controller's left thumbstick. Does anyone know if it's possible to get an aftermarket replacement for the rubber knob cover? I don't really need a new controller.

Also my favorite perspective change in the game so far has been
Emil's Mansion Basement Lab. It brought back fond memories of this game. (Would love to see a remake of Crusader for PSN or Arcade.)

thetrin said:

Also, boars are a blast to ride. I just wish they turned quicker.

Quoted for truth. Infamous got this right too. If your character primarily moves about on foot, you've got to make him run fast. Slow running = boredom (see Assassin's Creed I). Re the boars: are you using R2 and L2 to skid turn. I didn't realize you could do this until halfway through the game. Makes turning the boars much more precise then relying on the stick to drift.

luxarific said:
It's in the
Aerie. Near the chief's house, or near the houses on the level below the chief's house (accessible via ladder)

EDIT: With all the fishing, I've managed to crack the rubber knob(?) cover on my controller's left thumbstick. Does anyone know if it's possible to get an aftermarket replacement for the rubber knob cover? I don't really need a new controller.

Also my favorite perspective change in the game so far has been
Emil's Mansion Basement Lab. It brought back fond memories of this game. (Would love to see a remake of Crusader for PSN or Arcade.)

Thaaaaank you.

Ridley327

Getting all the fish in the game, including the rhizodont? Awesome and fun, if not exactly difficult.

Cultivating a white moonflower even with taking advantage of the system clock trick? I want to die and hope to stay that way. That was some immensely tedious shit.

matmanx1

Ridley327 said:
Getting all the fish in the game, including the rhizodont? Awesome and fun, if not exactly difficult.

Cultivating a white moonflower even with taking advantage of the system clock trick? I want to die and hope to stay that way. That was some immensely tedious shit.

Yeah I think I am going to stay far away from the white moonflower cultivation. I glanced through a copy of the strat guide we have at work and even the optimal path of planting the right colors of moonflowers next to each other and hoping for cross polination will at BEST give you a 10% chance of one appearing.

And that's only after you've managed to get the peach and magenta and what ever other color flowers along the way.

Fortunately I don't play games to get 100% trophy or achievement score. I don't mind going out of my way a little bit for an extra trophy or achievement but otherwise I want my gaming to remain fun and pretty stress free.

Ridley327

To be fair, now that I have the seeds for the white moonflower, getting 1 million gold is going to be incredibly easy. It's almost worth the pain!

No, it's not.

N30RYU

I've bought the PS3 version and I'm 4 hours into the game. (first time fishing)
I know that the graphics aren't what must be expected right now in this generation... but looking like ICO+SOTC in HD is a win for me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Azure Phoenix said:
Thanks a lot for that god awful use of the spoiler tag, now you've just spoilt a significant portion of this game for me before I can even afford to get it. As BlazingDarkness said, learn to use the damn spoiler tag properly in future.

Uh... I think that's why I tagged it? I haven't finished the game so that's just my assumption anyway.

Anyway,
I didn't specify who but you'll see the trend afterwards. Not everyone you meet will die of course.

john tv

ULTROS! said:
Uh... I think that's why I tagged it? I haven't finished the game so that's just my assumption anyway.

Anyway,
I didn't specify who but you'll see the trend afterwards. Not everyone you meet will die of course.
Just a little more of a hint would've been good; just leaving "This game is" visible gives no indication of what kind of spoiler is ahead. Especially when talking about stuff related to the end of the game. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh well, I apologize for the tagging mishap.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
sarcoa said:

Got a 5.0 from gamespot. http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/nier/review.html?tag=recent_updates;title;1 Which is pretty harsh considering they gave drakengard a 7.0.:lol

Oyashiro

How the hell are you guys beating the game in 14-15 hrs? :lol I'm 11 hrs in and I'm barely at the temple/dungeon place you go to right after Facade. Granted, I'd say about 3 or 4 of those hours are idle time, but still.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BlazingDarkness said:
gaf has good taste
Gaf has many members with great taste. But like all the other forums, it also has allot of the system favorite pushers and hype fall pits.

I was totally surprised by the Forest of Myth part. Reminded me quite a bit of Lost Odyssey with the music and all. This game won't stop impressing me.

thetrin

So I'm under the impression that there's only one of every word, and once you collect a word, it can be set to umpteen different applicable weapons/spells/martial arts without any adverse repercussions?

Is that about right?

luxarific said:
Re the boars: are you using R2 and L2 to skid turn. I didn't realize you could do this until halfway through the game. Makes turning the boars much more precise then relying on the stick to drift.

Oh man! I had no idea! That is awesome :lol

thetrin said:
So I'm under the impression that there's only one of every word, and once you collect a word, it can be set to umpteen different applicable weapons/spells/martial arts without any adverse repercussions?

Is that about right?

Oh man! I had no idea! That is awesome :lol

I believe so, yes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/arts/television/04nier.html

This just in, the New York Times has better taste than the majority of the gaming media.

Ridley327 said:

Biggest joke is that the white moonflower is a bronze trophy/10g :lol

And it's all childs play compared to "upgrade all weapons to maximum" :(

ULTROS! said:

Anyway,

Maybe you should also finish the game more than once before saying this ... Really a bad way of spoiling people!

ULTROS!

Hey, I'm sorry already. ;_;

Durante

Freyjadour said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/arts/television/04nier.html

This just in, the New York Times has better taste than the majority of the gaming media.
Incredibly, Nier even forces the player to read. Some of the game’s most powerful moments are presented simply as white text on a black screen. In the context of a medium in which almost everything is displayed visually, these prose segments in the form of memories and dreams ignite the imagination and lend the overall experience a rare depth. No game I have played since 1999’s Planescape: Torment has made such effective use of textual storytelling.
He invoked the PST! Now I'd have to buy the game if I hadn'tdone so yesterday already based on this thread.

thetrin

ShockingAlberto said:
Which version of the game should I be on the lookout for? I'm close to adding it to my Goozex queue but froze at the system selection screen.

They're identical.

Pooya

posted?
Gamespot review 5/10
Video Review

The Good
* Varied elements pulled from different genres
* Some cool camera transitions
* Great soundtrack.
The Bad
* Unending fetch quests
* Tedious puzzle sequences
* Story takes way too long to get interesting
* Combat is easy and boring.

Kevin Vanord said:
Nier's excellent soundtrack can get a bit overbearing, but its tumultuous choral refrains and lilting arias have infinitely more character than the flavorless visuals. Unfortunately, great music and a couple of entertaining hours aren't reason enough to slog through this leaden dirge. You get the impression that 10 hours of promising content was mercilessly stretched into a 30-hour marathon of fetch quests and squandered potential. If you're famished for something off the beaten path, Nier might seem like an attractive proposition, but be warned: this unfocused action RPG is less than the sum of its parts.

Cep

Banned
Durante said:
He invoked the PST! Now I'd have to buy the game if I hadn'tdone so yesterday already based on this thread.

Shit, is he allowed to do that?

miladesn said:
* Unending fetch quests
* Tedious puzzle sequences
* Story takes way too long to get interesting
* Combat is easy and boring.

I do not put much stock in reviews, so I really do not care what he says, but those two things are like the kiss of death when it comes to me and games.

Wazzim

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I think this is one of the few times where I COMPLETELY don't understand the hate. Graphics suck - I got it. Fishing is stupid - I know (but optional!).

"It can't decide what it wants to be."
THAT's the beauty of the game! It always changes! I don't understand this...people were complaining that JRPGs become too boring BECAUSE it's the same thing.
Now we have a game that blends a ton of genres in, and that's bad?
They still don't play as shooters.

thetrin

Wazzim said:
They still don't play as shooters.

Believe me. The minute JRPGs had FPS sections with MW2 controls, people would find something else to bitch about.

Wazzim

Banned
thetrin said:
Believe me. The minute JRPGs had FPS sections with MW2 controls, people would find something else to bitch about.
Yeah it would be "It isn't a Jrpg anymore, nobody makes classic Jrpg's these days!!"
Oh well, just read the 'thrustworthy' famitsu reviews instead!

ULTROS!

Wazzim said:
Yeah it would be "It isn't a Jrpg anymore, nobody makes classic Jrpg's these days!!"
Oh well, just read the 'thrustworthy' famitsu reviews instead!

Famitsu gave Demon's Souls a 29/40 and Haze a 34/40

Top Bottom