• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sacha said:
Haha, it's all just luck in the end, yeah... I got the white moonflower on my first try. :D

*flail*

I thought for sure that nothing could be more tedious than farming subdued bracelets/metal piercings, but the flower resets were equally annoying. I wonder if the fact that I grew other stuff in my garden (wheat and melons) before I pulled everything out to just plant flowers had anything to do it.

Vrakanox

It really is a great game. I just finished getting all the endings and beat the DLC. Hopefully they will bring more. Oh well. In the meantime I got other stuff to do :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there anything different in the game when going for the C & D endings or is it the same as the B run just with the new ending?

I dunno if I want to slog through this again to get them if nothings different.

Sinatar said:
Is there anything different in the game when going for the C & D endings or is it the same as the B run just with the new ending?

I dunno if I want to slog through this again to get them if nothings different.

Just the endings are different.

DualShadow said:
Does everything carry over to NG+? Weapons? Words?

Will i have to redo quests? Also do the enemies get harder in NG+ or same?

Everything carries over, you cannot redo quests, and the enemies "feel" the same...at least to me.

Heretic Kazuma said:
Everything carries over, you cannot redo quests, and the enemies "feel" the same...at least to me.

Thanks.

So playing through a 2nd/3rd/4th time would be so much faster because don't have to redo all the quests. Also means i don't have to rush to finish them all right now cause i can just finish them up on another play through.

matmanx1

Got the "B" ending this morning. Very cool! Felt really good being able to plow though areas that took awhile the first time because of my increased levels and upgraded weapons. I now have 100% of the weapons as well so it won't take but a couple of hours to get the C & D endings done. I really dig how the story is told in Nier and have very much enjoyed my time with it.

ITT: Rahxephon bitches more

I dislike farming the Junk Heap for Titanium Alloy and Machine Oil. I wish those dropped better, even with the DLC...

Actually I think they open outward. I thought otherwise too but whatever.

The game is ok so far. Ever since I got the ability to use two handed swords I feel more like a baddass and I think Nier looks better with his Eye Patch thing.

shawnlreed

luxarific said:
For people who've gone through all the endings: what was your final word count percentage? At about 73 hours (A/B/C completed and I don't intend to play through an entire new game+ to get my D ending, just reload my final save), I'm only up to 85%. Was going to go for 100%, but even with the 30% item drop word equipped, the word drop rate fell precipitously. E.g., I tried running through the fortuneteller sequence several times, which initially got me about 2 words per run, but at level 49, I went through it three times without getting a single new word.

Poeple posting on GameFAQs were discussing this, and pointed out they started getting extra words once their level increased.
One person got a new word almost immediately after hitting level 50.
So.... the speculation is you may have to grind to level 99 to get a full 100% word list.
The Nier Players Guide lists which monsters drop which words.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Interactive Fiction said:
Poeple posting on GameFAQs were discussing this, and pointed out they started getting extra words once their level increased. One person got a new word almost immediately after hitting level 50.
So.... the speculation is you may have to grind to level 99 to get a full 100% word list.
The Nier Players Guide lists which monsters drop which words.

Thanks for responding. I like the game, but unless there's substantial new DLC, I won't be grinding another 50 levels.

lljride

Hate to say it but the game's getting kinda tedious now. I'm in my 3rd playthrough so I'm trying to get all of the trophies, but man the grind for 1,000,000 gold is killing me. Currently running through the 3rd DLC door but it's getting old quick. I'll have to break it up and work on the white moonflower or something (haven't even started trying for that yet). I'm only up to about 380k now.

I think the biggest problem is that I'm dying to see how endings C/D turn out, but I don't want to lose my save until I get all the trophies (which I know is my own damn fault for being such a trophy whore).

Volcynika

lljride said:
Hate to say it but the game's getting kinda tedious now. I'm in my 3rd playthrough so I'm trying to get all of the trophies, but man the grind for 1,000,000 gold is killing me. Currently running through the 3rd DLC door but it's getting old quick. I'll have to break it up and work on the white moonflower or something (haven't even started trying for that yet). I'm only up to about 380k now.

I think the biggest problem is that I'm dying to see how endings C/D turn out, but I don't want to lose my save until I get all the trophies (which I know is my own damn fault for being such a trophy whore).

Back up your save on a USB flash drive if you have one before getting ending D.

I'm still in the first part of the game but I just got done with the
Deathdream
and that was pretty damn amazing. Aside from the timed aspect of the castle maze one, though. :)

Anyways, I got the 30 quest trophy last night when I finished the one for the Wolf Hides in Facade, and I was wondering if there's any real need for me to go out of my way to do quests anymore. I know the gold is good, but is there some huge reward for doing all the quests or anything?

drtomoe123 said:
I'm still in the first part of the game but I just got done with the
Deathdream
and that was pretty damn amazing. Aside from the timed aspect of the castle maze one, though. :)

Anyways, I got the 30 quest trophy last night when I finished the one for the Wolf Hides in Facade, and I was wondering if there's any real need for me to go out of my way to do quests anymore. I know the gold is good, but is there some huge reward for doing all the quests or anything?

Later on you get weapons for like 2 of them, but the biggest reason to do so is to follow the npc stories to the end. If you finished the lighthouse lady quest, expect more things along those lines.

lljride said:

You just need to get close enough so that when you sell everything in your inventory, you have more than a million. Save, sell everything, and then reload.

Okay, so I'm at the end of the first half and I need help.

I just beat the huge shade and then Grimoire Noir showed up and all that jazz, but during the fight with Noir, I ALWAYS die. I ended up having just a sliver of health left over when I fight him, and I do great until I get all my magic back and he hits me out of nowhere. Unfortunately, I have to go to work, so I just had to quit, putting me right before the huge shade fight again. :( And I'm completely out of Herbs/Salve. What can I doooo?

Otherwise, definitely my favorite RPG this gen so far. Let's hope the second half keeps me this entertained.

Sacha

drtomoe123 said:
Okay, so I'm at the end of the first half and I need help.

I just beat the huge shade and then Grimoire Noir showed up and all that jazz, but during the fight with Noir, I ALWAYS die. I ended up having just a sliver of health left over when I fight him, and I do great until I get all my magic back and he hits me out of nowhere. Unfortunately, I have to go to work, so I just had to quit, putting me right before the huge shade fight again. :( And I'm completely out of Herbs/Salve. What can I doooo?

Try keeping your distances when you get your magic back, if I remember correctly he's charging a dash. Otherwise, I don't really know. Do you have some of these items that boost defense and all (I don't know their name in english) ?

Diamond

Just finished it ! Surprising game, in a good way. I really liked the mix between the fighting and the shmup mechanics, clever game design here. Good story too, and the ending was well done (even if I hope there's some more answers in the other endings). The atmosphere of the game was globally a very strong point, with a fantastic soundtrack.

After finishing Alan Wake I thought it would be hard to be 100% invested in another game for a while but Nier proved me wrong. I'm off for ending B ! :)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Diamond_4444 said:
After finishing Alan Wake I thought it would be hard to be 100% invested in another game for a while but Nier proved me wrong. I'm off for ending B ! :)

The re-run up to ending B is where Nier really shines imho. It fucking floored me, phenomenal stuff.

Enjoy.

Diamond_4444 said:
Just finished it ! Surprising game, in a good way. I really liked the mix between the fighting and the shmup mechanics, clever game design here. Good story too, and the ending was well done (even if I hope there's some more answers in the other endings). The atmosphere of the game was globally a very strong point, with a fantastic soundtrack.

Same thing for me, just finished the first ending and I'll mess around with the second ending in the coming week.

I went ahead and bought the DLC, too, mainly because this game has already proven itself to be one of my favorite games this gen. Absolutely beautiful.

Shadowlord's Castle / Roar is such a fucking incredible battle theme. When those horns come in, I just lose myself in the fighting.

God this is the best OST of the year.

ZephyrFate said:
Shadowlord's Castle / Roar is such a fucking incredible battle theme. When those horns come in, I just lose myself in the fighting.

Emi Evans did an amazing job with the singing...

Diamond

Clear said:
The re-run up to ending B is where Nier really shines imho. It fucking floored me, phenomenal stuff.

I wondered why you guys were so excited about New Game+. I know now... Holy shit, this game is fantastic ! I honestly didn't expect that at all. And I have yet to see the ending, I'm going to have to do some leveling, in Hard the second last dungeon run is... HARD !:D

The rerun is so essential to the full comprehension of the story that even the game itself doesn't tell you enough to do it I think. And the good thing is it works so well BECAUSE you have played it before. It wouldn't have the same effect if everything was told in the first run. This narrative structure is seriously mind-blowing.

Someone said flawed masterpiece some pages ago, I think it suits Nier perfectly.

ZephyrFate said:

>>> Kainé Salvation
>>> This Dream
>>> Temple of Drifting Sands

I could go on.
The music creates fascinating situations. In the beginning of the game I was near the fountain, listening to Devola ( Song of the Ancients ). I wasn't moving so Nier just sat on the ground, with the little dog near him. It was a really relaxing moment. :)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Diamond_4444 said:
I could go on.

I agree 100%.

The soundtrack is just fantastic, it sets the tone for the game every bit as definitively as Uematsu's best work.

And yeah, its a tragedy you can't explain Nier's post-ending brilliance without blowing the whole story, and specifically how that previous run-through informs your reaction to the new stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
chaostrophy said:
So...if you buy the DLC do you have the option of playing through the whole game as young/Replicant Nier, or just the DLC extra stages?

Replicant Nier is just playable in the 3 "world of recycled vessel" battle arenas, but the costume sets you get can be worn throughout the game. This is actually a bit better than it sounds as they use the game engine for all but a couple of cut-scenes, endings included.

If you like the battle system its a good showcase as the fights are far more taxing than anything in the rest of the game. I liked it, even if it doesn't really add to the game story much more than cementing the connection to Drakengard's infamous ending E.

Sacha

Some dude over at Nico Nico Douga ripped the DLC music, if anyone want the mp3s, they are right here. Song of the Ancients was already my favourite song on the OST, but this remix is so good.

Neil

Just got ending C. Gonna try and catch that last damn fish before I get the final ending.

Really enjoyed this game, especially with all the twists when you replay it.
The only thing I'm not happy with is the game 'difficulty'. As soon as I gave myself a good spear everything became so easy.

shawnlreed

I finally watched Ending D yesterday ... worth the effort for sure.
My saves remain intact thanks to my USB flash drive
Currently I'm working on the Forging Master trophy.
I have 4 weapons left to max out, and it is seriously taking a lot of grinding. (15-20 hours so far).
Anyone know the best place to get Forlorn Necklaces? That's the only item I really do not know how to get.
After that, I just have the Legendary Gardener trophy left. I refuse to adjust my PS3 clock, so it may take me forever, I know.

I just ordered the Japanese Guide/Art book Grimoire Nier from Amazon JP.
It comes out at the end of this week. I'll let GAF know if it's worth buying.
4632169871_272b5c110a_o.jpg

Sacha

Interactive Fiction said:
Anyone know the best place to get Forlorn Necklaces? That's the only item I really do not know how to get.

I farmed the necklaces on the roof of the Lost Shrine. There are only two or three magic-casting shades, but you can reload the area pretty quickly thanks to the door leading to the
Shadowlord's castle

I preordered the Grimoire today too, can't wait to receive it ! :D The US guide is pretty cool btw, it covers everything but the story.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm probably going to pick this up once I get out of school for some relaxing when I get back from my job. I'm just curious how long does the game last?

Top Bottom