• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Sacha

Alucrid said:
I'm probably going to pick this up once I get out of school for some relaxing when I get back from my job. I'm just curious how long does the game last?

Around 30 hours to get all four endings, and 50-60 hours if you plan on doing all the side quests and achievements/trophies.

Durante

I just made it to the
time skip
. Amazing game, that whole boss battle sequence was fantastic. Oh, and so is the OST.

Rektash

So, I am a pretty big fan of "B-Tier" jrpgs with not so standart scenarios overall ( -> Shadow Hearts was the best new jrpg franchise in the PS2 era). Listened to some tracks of Nier's OST and thought they were freaking awesome. What are the chances of me liking Nier? Definitly think about getting it but I am not too sure atm.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Interactive Fiction said:
I finally watched Ending D yesterday ... worth the effort for sure.
My saves remain intact thanks to my USB flash drive
Currently I'm working on the Forging Master trophy.
I have 4 weapons left to max out, and it is seriously taking a lot of grinding. (15-20 hours so far).
Anyone know the best place to get Forlorn Necklaces? That's the only item I really do not know how to get.
After that, I just have the Legendary Gardener trophy left. I refuse to adjust my PS3 clock, so it may take me forever, I know.

I just ordered the Japanese Guide/Art book Grimoire Nier from Amazon JP.
It comes out at the end of this week. I'll let GAF know if it's worth buying.
4632169871_272b5c110a_o.jpg

Best place to farm Forlorn Necklaces and Broken Earrings is at the very top of the Lost Shrine right before you go through the door to the chamber where the game tells you that you can't turn back (right before the end sequence run through of bosses). If you go up the ladder to the right of the door (as you face it), one enemy that drop the FN's/BE's will spawn at the very top of the ladders (there are two). It will be armored, used magic only, and will span with two accompanying armored sword enemies. The magic enemy is the one that drops FNs/BEs. Go up the ladders kill it and then regen it by going through the door into the chamber. Come out and kill it again. It's the easiest way of farming FNs or BEs.

Also re Ending D:
I loved the save deletion sequence - it's so methodical and deliberate, it really made the decision to give up your existence in return for Kaine's a somber moment. Also, I what's up with the new quest that got unlocked? I'm saving my speed run for if there's new DLC and I'm wondering if it's worth spending any time on that new quest.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Yeah. In years to come, videogame criticism will look back on Nier's reception, laugh nervously and change the subject.

shawnlreed

luxarific said:
Best place to farm Forlorn Necklaces and Broken Earrings is at the very top of the Lost Shrine right before you go through the door to the chamber where the game tells you that you can't turn back (right before the end sequence run through of bosses). If you go up the ladder to the right of the door (as you face it), one enemy that drop the FN's/BE's will spawn at the very top of the ladders (there are two). It will be armored, used magic only, and will span with two accompanying armored sword enemies. The magic enemy is the one that drops FNs/BEs. Go up the ladders kill it and then regen it by going through the door into the chamber. Come out and kill it again. It's the easiest way of farming FNs or BEs.

Also re Ending D:
I loved the save deletion sequence - it's so methodical and deliberate, it really made the decision to give up your existence in return for Kaine's a somber moment. Also, I what's up with the new quest that got unlocked? I'm saving my speed run for if there's new DLC and I'm wondering if it's worth spending any time on that new quest.

It worked! Thanks for the help. Forlorn Necklaces are the rarest thing those shades drop. I had to kill about 40 of them just to get 2 FNs.
About the new quest:
Turn right when you enter the northern plains. There's a guy far up against the cliff who will pay you 100 gold for every sheep you kill while riding a boar. Good fun! Also, it's an easy way to get the 100 sheep trophy.

Honestly at the moment I've been doing practically nothing but fetch-quests but these have been so much more compelling than entire campaigns from a number of games I've played this gen.

You'd hear something from someone, mull over it for a minute or two as you run(or boar-drift) to the destination, and be rewarded with a little gold but more importantly subtle character development and some very touching stories(even if the endings tend to be bitter-sweet).

What a handful of videogame writers don't seem to get is that you don't make memorable characters by giving them some great one-liners and bad-ass superpowers. All you end up with is a show-puppet that everyone expects to do something cool or say something funny.

The guy who came up with the idea for the first magic spell is a genius btw. It works on so many different levels. I go in one room and suddenly it's a twin-stick shooter, somewhere else leads to a side-scroller, plus it's great just to have when I'm not within slashing distance of something.

Boss-fights are great too. Really surprised by this cause Cavia hardly does them.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
About the new quest:
Turn right when you enter the northern plains. There's a guy far up against the cliff who will pay you 100 gold for every sheep you kill while riding a boar. Good fun! Also, it's an easy way to get the 100 sheep trophy.

That's the DLC quest. I'm referring to a quest that was unlocked when I finished Ending D (at least I got a message saying a new quest had been unlocked).

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Honestly at the moment I've been doing practically nothing but fetch-quests but these have been so much more compelling than entire campaigns from a number of games I've played this gen.

You'd hear something from someone, mull over it for a minute or two as you run(or boar-drift) to the destination, and be rewarded with a little gold but more importantly subtle character development and some very touching stories(even if the endings tend to be bitter-sweet).

What a handful of videogame writers don't seem to get is that you don't make memorable characters by giving them some great one-liners and bad-ass superpowers. All you end up with is a show-puppet that everyone expects to do something cool or say something funny.

Listen to this man!

PBalfredo

Just finished ending D
I totally thought the C or D decision would relate to the Shadowlord and Shade-Yonah, but nope they both eat it in every ending. At least B ending shows that they are reunited in the afterlife. Between that and showing that Emil survives, B ending is pretty much the happiest ending, even if the B playthrough felt like a kick to the gut. Though that is in turn darkened by how C/D ensures that once Emil rolls his head out of the desert, either Kaine or Nier will not be there to reunite with Emil :.(

Although this game is very, very bleak throughout, it does have a subtle but strong idealistic undercurrent. Reoccurring themes of hope, family and acceptance do an important job of keeping the story from going over the edge into total despair. Given the game's setting and what we learn in playthrough B, this game very easily could have become one of those stories set in such a crapsack world you wonder how everyone keeps from just rolling over and dying.

Just noticed the demo is up on Japanese marketplace. Trying it out.

Edit: wow, it's in English and everything.

Finished it now. So is it the first part of the game? It seemed to do a very poor job of explaining what's going on, who anyone is, or what I'm supposed to do. Wandered out of a cave, fought a giant lizard thing by stabbing it's hand a million times and chasing it down.

Liked the part where it almost became like a sidescroller though. And the shump bullet shooting sphere enemies.

I like how the thread title is not streamlined yet. Nier is so underground!!! :lol

HadesGigas said:
Just noticed the demo is up on Japanese marketplace. Trying it out.

Edit: wow, it's in English and everything.

Finished it now. So is it the first part of the game? It seemed to do a very poor job of explaining what's going on, who anyone is, or what I'm supposed to do. Wandered out of a cave, fought a giant lizard thing by stabbing it's hand a million times and chasing it down.

Liked the part where it almost became like a sidescroller though. And the shump bullet shooting sphere enemies.

I don't think this game is very suitable for a demo. It's all about sinking into the world and the story.

Durante

PepsimanVsJoe said:
This game is amazing.
After playing some more today (as much as I could actually) I have to agree. It's a tragedy that it seems niche even on GAF.

In some ways it feels like on of the smaller European WRPGs -- throw lots of different ideas and gameplay elements in there even if they are not all polished to perfection. Except it goes even further than those in mixing genres and styles. I absolutely love this kind of experimentation and the variety that results from it, but clearly most of the press favors distilled and highly polished "experiences".

One of the many little moments I love about this game.

Spoilers I guess

I enter some town and a kid makes me a take a tour. So okay whatever we go to a couple shops, ride around in a raft for awhile and I'm thinking "Alright that's great I've had enough of this already".

Just as that thought crosses my mind the game asks if I want to skip the tour. I felt bad about that and let the kid continue. :lol

The dungeon shortly afterwards was awesome as well.

edgefusion

Just started playing this after picking it up a couple of days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's got a great atmosphere and the music is fantastic, I can see this is a game I'm going to really enjoy.

Reached part 2.
This game continues to deliver.
Though I probably should have done a number of those quests I had left. Hopefully none of them were tied to weapon unlocks.

Sacha

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Reached part 2.
This game continues to deliver.
Though I probably should have done a number of those quests I had left. Hopefully none of them were tied to weapon unlocks.

Don't worry, the quests to get weapons are all in part 2.

Diamond

Got endings B, C and D. Great, even if I think the third playthrough was
a little too much just to see the last scene and, to me, the real ending of the game. Just having to go through the last dungeon would have been, maybe, a better idea.
I loved Nier's ideas all along so it's just a little complain.

MAJOR ENDING C AND D SPOILER :
Nier's final sacrifice was well done. I don't know if it makes sense from a story point of view (why everybody have to forget about him ? Which special hability gave him the opportunity to even make that choice ?) but it was an original way to end an original game.

ENDING A SPOILER :
Is anybody else under the impression that the whole game was set in some sort of refuge or place designed to keep the replicants safe from the real world ? The people in towns talk several times about the sun that never sets.
When you enter the Lost Shrine for the final battle, two things happen. First you can see that you are in a very different environnement (buildings in ruin, it's clear in Emil sacrifice scene), and then, in the first ending, Yonah says something like "someone in me wanted to see the light [aka the real sun], and now we finally see it."

After reading some other forums, I think the overall story and background is pretty solid (surprising for a japanese RPG nowadays :D ). Sure there are some loose ends but a lot of things make sense, when you think of it.

Jinaar

I got back from vacation on Saturday and proceeded to get Endings B, C and D. Bought and completed the downloadable content. Then finished Ending D and my
memories of Nier are now gone... tear...

I sort of liked the new DLC costumes, but I would love to suggest to CAVIA/S-E to create new DLC that basically gives us the NIER REPLICANT for North America. I really really loved the DLC's
young version
of Nier. That character design looked/felt alot more fun to use then your current game design. Oh wells.

Playthru B was so grand. It dramatically changed my view of playthru A, obviously. Nothing is as black and white as it seems.

I love this game so much. Glad I could delve into it and complete it all before going into RDR.

Hats off to CAVIA!

Diamond_4444 said:
Got endings B, C and D. Great, even if I think the third playthrough was
a little too much just to see the last scene and, to me, the real ending of the game. Just having to go through the last dungeon would have been, maybe, a better idea.
I loved Nier's ideas all along so it's just a little complain.

MAJOR ENDING C AND D SPOILER :
Nier's final sacrifice was well done. I don't know if it makes sense from a story point of view (why everybody have to forget about him ? Which special hability gave him the opportunity to even make that choice ?) but it was an original way to end an original game.

ENDING A SPOILER :
Is anybody else under the impression that the whole game was set in some sort of refuge or place designed to keep the replicants safe from the real world ? The people in towns talk several times about the sun that never sets.
When you enter the Lost Shrine for the final battle, two things happen. First you can see that you are in a very different environnement (buildings in ruin, it's clear in Emil sacrifice scene), and then, in the first ending, Yonah says something like "someone in me wanted to see the light [aka the real sun], and now we finally see it."

After reading some other forums, I think the overall story and background is pretty solid (surprising for a japanese RPG nowadays :D ). Sure there are some loose ends but a lot of things make sense, when you think of it.

After you fight "the betrayers" you get some documents you can check in your file which confirm your ending A assumptions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A few tidbits about the story:

MAJOR SPOILERS AND BACKSTORY SPECULATION AHEAD

The PS3 version's trophy list names several shade bosses in a darkly humorous way. Obviously the two guardians are Hansel and Gretel, but it took me awhile to figure out who Wendy and Goose were.

The answers are back in fairytale land of course: Wendy (HOUSE) is the Aerie boss, where all the villagers gather, and (MOTHER) Goose is the protector of the Shade children in the Shadowlord's castle.

Notice how a lot of named characters have names beginning with KA, like the keycard found in the underground lab. Kaine, her grandmother Kali, Kalil the orphan shade... Coincidence, or a hint that the area the game is set is just one of a number of communities constructed to house the shells?

A lot of the impact of the ending B reveals are based on mirroring events. Gretel's last stand is very reminscent of Kaine's fight (paralysed arm, etc) with the giant shade at her grandmother's shack.

I get a strong inference that the memory tree's reminiscences in the second part represent Emil and Kaine's original deaths. The former as he dies slowly from the black scrawl in a hospital bed, and Kaine's death in battle against a regressed shade. Note in the "Snow White" documents, Emil and Halua are described as "donor bodies" suggesting they were magically reanimated.

The documentation also mentions other "weaponization" properties such as bestial transformation, which explains why the Alpha Shade Wolf's final realization that he was once human, and that the kindly human master watching over him was in fact his father.

A few thoughts on the beginning if the story:-

As the Project Gestalt documents describe, Grimoire Noir is the program/magical entity used to encode souls into Gestalt bodies, whereas Weiss is the decoder program used to do the reverse. At the start of the game Nier possess Noir, and uses its power to defend Yonah from the attacking shades. The sequence ends with Nier seeing the grimoire next to Yonah and him plaintively asking "what have you done".

Nier (a play on Noir #1 ?) was the first Gestalt, and Yonah the second.

Combined with Drakengard's E ending I'm leaning towards the idea that the black scrawl didn't come from Caim and Angelus it was from the residue of the defeated goddess - shown crumbling to salt. The exploitation of Angelus remains is what allows the humans to create magical armaments like... Gestalt bodies.

The "final war" occurs because although the first Gestalts are basically mindless weapons, they instinctively seek to destroy the black scrawl - this is why they are shown hunting down Yonah (not Nier) in the intro. So as the disease spreads, the new war machines turn against their masters.

Jinaar

Great write up there, Clear. Alot of interesting observations and theories. I am very intrigued with this world and would love to find out more about it, either thru more speculative chat or maybe actual information from Cavia. .... or give us a sequel, please! :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
As Pepsiman pointed out many pages ago with regards to Drakengard, if Cavia actually did a Nier sequel they'd deliberately avoid, complicate or contradict any resolution we'd want from it.

And that's why we love them.

Diamond

pancakesandsex said:
After you fight "the betrayers" you get some documents you can check in your file which confirm your ending A assumptions.

I actually read them but didn't see a clear evidence for this theory
(except for the fact that Devola and Popola are monitoring the replicants). Maybe I missed something.
: )

Clear said:

Very nice theories !

The forest of myth is very interesting. There's the text adventure aspect, but as you said, the dreams appear to refer to events or characters in the game. For instance the dream of the woman (first part of the game) apparently refers to the upcoming events that take place in Emil's Manor.

However I didn't exactly understand the beginning like you, especially concerning the nature of the Black Scrawl. For me, the Black Scrawl is not really a disease : it appears when a spirit (Gestalt) tries to reunite with his shell (Replicant) outside of the Noir/Weiss protocol.

Yonah has another disease in the beginning (the cough doesn't seem to be a symptom of Black Scrawl) : the White Chlorination virus, a disease so deadly that humanity had no other choice but to launch the Gestalt Project, separate bodies from souls and let the virus die. This virus is probably the link with Drakengard ending.

According to the loading screens, humanity launched the Gestalt Project in 2034 ("Transition into sleep mode, may god have mercy on us all", etc.). The intro takes place in 2049. Nier (Replicant version) is, according to the twins documents, the first Replicant created, so I presume that he was deeply implicated in the project. But after the point of no return, he saw the Gestalt process didn't work (Gestalts/Shades went berserk after the separation) so he didn't do it. He kept Noir with him, to go Gestalt if there was no other way to survive. He probably kept his wife with him and Yonah was born a few years after.

In the intro sequence, Yonah uses Noir and starts the Gestalt process. It could be a good explanation for the lines that appear on her skin, which would appear both during a separation and a reunion.

But your Drakengard theory is nice, I must admit. : )

Sacha

Clear said:
A few tidbits about the story:

MAJOR SPOILERS AND BACKSTORY SPECULATION AHEAD

The PS3 version's trophy list names several shade bosses in a darkly humorous way. Obviously the two guardians are Hansel and Gretel, but it took me awhile to figure out who Wendy and Goose were.

The answers are back in fairytale land of course: Wendy (HOUSE) is the Aerie boss, where all the villagers gather, and (MOTHER) Goose is the protector of the Shade children in the Shadowlord's castle.

Notice how a lot of named characters have names beginning with KA, like the keycard found in the underground lab. Kaine, her grandmother Kali, Kalil the orphan shade... Coincidence, or a hint that the area the game is set is just one of a number of communities constructed to house the shells?

A lot of the impact of the ending B reveals are based on mirroring events. Gretel's last stand is very reminscent of Kaine's fight (paralysed arm, etc) with the giant shade at her grandmother's shack.

I get a strong inference that the memory tree's reminiscences in the second part represent Emil and Kaine's original deaths. The former as he dies slowly from the black scrawl in a hospital bed, and Kaine's death in battle against a regressed shade. Note in the "Snow White" documents, Emil and Halua are described as "donor bodies" suggesting they were magically reanimated.

The documentation also mentions other "weaponization" properties such as bestial transformation, which explains why the Alpha Shade Wolf's final realization that he was once human, and that the kindly human master watching over him was in fact his father.

A few thoughts on the beginning if the story:-

As the Project Gestalt documents describe, Grimoire Noir is the program/magical entity used to encode souls into Gestalt bodies, whereas Weiss is the decoder program used to do the reverse. At the start of the game Nier possess Noir, and uses its power to defend Yonah from the attacking shades. The sequence ends with Nier seeing the grimoire next to Yonah and him plaintively asking "what have you done".

Nier (a play on Noir #1 ?) was the first Gestalt, and Yonah the second.

Combined with Drakengard's E ending I'm leaning towards the idea that the black scrawl didn't come from Caim and Angelus it was from the residue of the defeated goddess - shown crumbling to salt. The exploitation of Angelus remains is what allows the humans to create magical armaments like... Gestalt bodies.

The "final war" occurs because although the first Gestalts are basically mindless weapons, they instinctively seek to destroy the black scrawl - this is why they are shown hunting down Yonah (not Nier) in the intro. So as the disease spreads, the new war machines turn against their masters.

And that is why Nier's story is so powerful. I just love how the player is made to realize all this by himself.

Further spoilers and speculation :
It is mentionned in Square's Confidendiality Agreement for Nier that whoever operates the project Gestalt used DNA from his only successful split – NIER – to treat all survivors. But I don't see how the game hints at such a thing.

About the bosses, Shahriyar is the name of the Barren Temple's boss. As the temple is the resting place of Facade's kings (IIRC), and that Shahriyar is the name of the king in The Book of One Thousand and One Nights, could he be a Facade King (or whoever) who was turned into a weapon ?

I think it could also hint at what I believe to be one of the main themes of Nier : reality becoming "legend" with time (or how words can be entirely reinterpretated, the power of words definitely being explored throughout the game), as illustrated with the Song of the Ancients, or Noir's desire to fuse with Weiss to create a perfect world. The people of Facade came to believe that the weapons in the Barren Temple served as some kind of trial.

Also on the subject of weaponization, I guess the third Grimoire (named Rubrum) served that purpose.

Emil endgame spoiler :
Emil's death is so heartbreaking. He acts like he's mature and all in front of Nier and Kainé, but in his last moments we are shown that he's still a little child after all he went through, saying that he wants to see Nier one last time while curling up. So sad, a child who never had a childhood.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Love all the speculation but hopefully there will be a full canonical version of the story real soon.

Grimoire Nier is an ultimania-style strategy and story guide Square are putting out on the 28th. Judging from the product page Here it looks like a lot of secrets and extra bacvkstory are going to be revealed.

Hope.Hope.Hope somebody translates this.

Diamond_4444 said:
I actually read them but didn't see a clear evidence for this theory
(except for the fact that Devola and Popola are monitoring the replicants). Maybe I missed something.
: )

Very nice theories !

The forest of myth is very interesting. There's the text adventure aspect, but as you said, the dreams appear to refer to events or characters in the game. For instance the dream of the woman (first part of the game) apparently refers to the upcoming events that take place in Emil's Manor.

However I didn't exactly understand the beginning like you, especially concerning the nature of the Black Scrawl. For me, the Black Scrawl is not really a disease : it appears when a spirit (Gestalt) tries to reunite with his shell (Replicant) outside of the Noir/Weiss protocol.

Yonah has another disease in the beginning (the cough doesn't seem to be a symptom of Black Scrawl) : the White Chlorination virus, a disease so deadly that humanity had no other choice but to launch the Gestalt Project, separate bodies from souls and let the virus die. This virus is probably the link with Drakengard ending.

According to the loading screens, humanity launched the Gestalt Project in 2034 ("Transition into sleep mode, may god have mercy on us all", etc.). The intro takes place in 2049. Nier (Replicant version) is, according to the twins documents, the first Replicant created, so I presume that he was deeply implicated in the project. But after the point of no return, he saw the Gestalt process didn't work (Gestalts/Shades went berserk after the separation) so he didn't do it and took his daughter, Yonah, with him. He kept Noir with him, to go Gestalt if there was no other way to survive.

In the intro sequence, Yonah uses Noir and starts the Gestalt process. It could be a good explanation for the lines that appear on her skin, which would appear both during a separation and a reunion.

But your Drakengard theory is nice, I must admit. : )

The line I'm referring to mentioned something about the
technology level
. I don't have the exact quote.

Drakkengard thing about the
goddess is spot on, it came from her not the dragon. The black scrawl is either the original disease, or shade posession. I'm leaning towards original disease because of the mention of "relapsed cases" in reference to Yonah, and not shade possession. Yonah and Kayne are the only ones shown as possessed by shades, the lighthouse lady, and others, simply pass on from contracting the scrawl.
ohshit forgot to close tags

shawnlreed

luxarific said:
That's the DLC quest. I'm referring to a quest that was unlocked when I finished Ending D (at least I got a message saying a new quest had been unlocked).

I replayed Ending D just to see what you're referring to .... and I am still not sure.
When you beat Ending D you get a message saying 'Thank you for playing'
When you start a new game after getting Ending D, it tells you the DLC quest Recycled Vessel is available.
I cannot find any other quest that would fit what you describe.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I replayed Ending D just to see what you're referring to .... and I am still not sure.
When you beat Ending D you get a message saying 'Thank you for playing'
When you start a new game after getting Ending D, it tells you the DLC quest Recycled Vessel is available.
I cannot find any other quest that would fit what you describe.

Sorry to make you replay it! I honestly thought it was a new quest. :(

On playthrough B.

Holy crap this is great stuff.
I can see why Cavia chose to make gamers replay a sizable portion of the game. Adds a bit of extra weight to those bosses I've been killing.

Gonna have to look through some guides so I can farm those materials.

IrishNinja

...so, im saving up for this 16k sword, and ive got a crap-ton of "broken" components from the early dungeon with the kids looking for their parents. should i sell this stuff? what about stuff like "rare broken pottery"? im gardening, sure, but not decorating my animal crossing house here, so i should be cool selling most of this, yeah?

Sacha

IrishNinja said:
...so, im saving up for this 16k sword, and ive got a crap-ton of "broken" components from the early dungeon with the kids looking for their parents. should i sell this stuff? what about stuff like "rare broken pottery"? im gardening, sure, but not decorating my animal crossing house here, so i should be cool selling most of this, yeah?

I'd suggest not selling anything but the materials that are easy to get in the Junk Heap. Getting money is fairly easy if you do the side quests.

Sacha

Famitsu just put an interview with Yoko Taro that seems quite interesting : http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1235592_1124.html

The only thing I'm sure he says is that Nier's birthday is the same date as Drakengard's Japanese release date. :lol He explains a lot of things, I wish someone could translate all that stuff.

I'm not absolutely certain of that, but I think he says that items and words are easier to drop on Hard. And he seems keen on making more DLC (but that's not a surprise).

And also,

14aaqtv.jpg
2i0ytdv.jpg

So cool. :D

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the way it plays with genre styles is incredibly awesome and unfortunately didn't come through in the marketing.

My only complaint is when it turned into Resident Evil circa 1999 in that manor. Those camera angles were MISERABLE. I thought we were past that at this point.

eXistor

El_TigroX said:
I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the way it plays with genre styles is incredibly awesome and unfortunately didn't come through in the marketing.

My only complaint is when it turned into Resident Evil circa 1999 in that manor. Those camera angles were MISERABLE. I thought we were past that at this point.

I took it as a homage personally. The angles were purposely bad, like they were in RE. The whole sequence doesn't exactly last long enough for it to become an annoyance I think.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
eXistor said:
I took it as a homage personally. The angles were purposely bad, like they were in RE.

And the
tarantula
! I laughed out loud and then felt self-conscious.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
eXistor said:
I took it as a homage personally. The angles were purposely bad, like they were in RE. The whole sequence doesn't exactly last long enough for it to become an annoyance I think.

Fair enough, I took it somewhat the same way... I just had a problem with it because I was in there too long. I got lost a bit and shambled about looking for the right place to go.

Perhaps an homage that lasted a touch too long.

I love the game otherwise though. I wish this game had just been marketed differently.

Sacha said:

Totally. The DLC is worth it for Kaine's outfits alone(the remixes and some of the stages are nice as well).

As a bonus I don't have to look at Father's cruddy sandals anymore.

Now if I could just get Kaine playable...

Sacha

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Totally. The DLC is worth it for Kaine's outfits alone(the remixes and some of the stages are nice as well).

As a bonus I don't have to look at Father's cruddy sandals anymore.

Now if I could just get Kaine playable...

I really hope they'll make more DLC
and a sequel
, there's so much potential for awesome stuff.

Speaking of making Kainé playable, I had the chance to interview Yosuke Saito back in february, and he said he would be very much interested in making a spin-off with one of the other main characters (if Nier sells enough). Kainé would seem like an obvious choice.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't know how comprehensive the credits are on the game, but it looks like the team at Cavia was very small (I seem to recall it being well below 20 names, insane for a multi-platform game these days), so I'm optimistic that it won't need huge sales to be considered a success.

Especially if they keep pumping out DLC I can see it doing well enough in the long-haul to justify a sequel or spin-off.

Nier is a real cult item, and that type of property can do very nicely even without troubling the mainstream market.

Sacha

Clear said:
I don't know how comprehensive the credits are on the game, but it looks like the team at Cavia was very small (I seem to recall it being well below 20 names, insane for a multi-platform game these days), so I'm optimistic that it won't need huge sales to be considered a success.

Around 40 persons worked on the game (70 with the people handling the FMVs) ! It took them three years to make it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sacha said:
Around 40 persons worked on the game (70 with the people handling the FMVs) ! It took them three years to make it.

40 is still kinda small for a game of Nier's scope, and you never count outsourced work when judging head count.

3 years though... Damn! I guess that's what Saito was hinting at when he said it had a "storied" production history.

I'm kind of surprised it took so long as its very economically (i.e. cheaply) put together, particularly in terms of art assets*. For example there are some very important scenes that are depicted in the most minimalistic way possible
Next time you watch the sad story of Kalil and Beepy, keep a close eye on the characters. The whole story is told using a handful of (mostly recycled) idle animations that simply loop!

*I've worked in development a long time, so I've got a pretty good eye for cheap tricks and short cuts, and Nier is full of them! And honestly I think it probably increased my enjoyment, because I know what its like to find yourself stuck for time or manpower and having to make hard choices about cutting a feature/element altogether versus doing just enough to get the idea across.

These days the perceived wisdom is to cut, rather than degrade the overall impression with a minimal implementation (FFXIII is a canonical example of this logic), so its refreshing to see a game where its clear that its makers valued ideas and content over gloss and polish.

Yeah it's a tribute to the power of the written word when entire backstories would be told in text and yet not once did I ever think "this really needed a cutscene".

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty good and lengthy interview with Yoko Taro on Famitsu. Machine translation isn't much help, any Japanese speakers care to translate the key points?

Pretty please :D

Sacha

:D
CD Japan said:
Dear Sacha,
Thank you for shopping at CDJapan.
We shipped your order today.

Order Items:
================================
NEOBK-762430
Ascii Media Works/NieR The Complete Guide + Setting Guide GRIMOIRE NieR BOOK 1 x 1900 yen 2010/05/29 release

Anyway, Game Watch also just put up a massive interview with Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro. Inside Games also had one a couple of weeks ago. Nice to see them getting this media attention, hopefully it'll encourage them further to make more DLC and a sequel or a spin-off.

Top Bottom