• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Damn it, I guess I will get the DLC after all with the positive impressions.

I guess I can feel proud (and stupid) too have gotten platinum without the higher DLC drop rates :lol

Volcynika said:
Yeah if you're farming for good materials, heard the DLC makes it much easier. Though wait until you get the Phoenix set of weapons. Soooooooo good, even at base stats.

Phoenix spear is overpowered IMO. It should be way harder to get.

Jinaar said:
A quick question on passing the game:

I finally passed the game for the first time and it
said ENDING B at the end of it all. I then started NG+ and started with Kaine's sequences. I just do not understand why they said ENDING B first. Did I miss ENDING A? Or is it saying "Go for ENDING B!" Shrug. Either way. The Kaine Dream sequence was an amazing story and Rahxephon91 has mental problems like no other. I do not think that last part is a spoiler though.

Yeah, the message is just misleading. Same happened to me.

Cep said:
Tag quoting is pretty low though.

It was too big a target, what can I say.

Finished C & D endings today.
I wish that you got to go home one last time as Kaine or Nier and see Emil bouncing around the front step :(.

Ridley327

Out of curiosity, does getting all of the weapons in a Ending A run affect the next playthrough? I'm under the impression that it does not (as in you get Ending B no matter what), but it'd be nice to have some confirmation.

Ridley327 said:
Out of curiosity, does getting all of the weapons in a Ending A run affect the next playthrough? I'm under the impression that it does not (as in you get Ending B no matter what), but it'd be nice to have some confirmation.

Getting all the weapons doesn't do anything until the third playthrough.

Ridley327

Thought as much, thanks!

I don't think I'll say much about my final impressions of the game until I get all of the endings, but Ending A already
hits you with the gut punch of the Shade/human revelation
and that bodes "well" for the rest of the game.

Emil's death is really sad :-(

Villager:
"I think I'm beginning to understand. Climate change wasn't the cause of our woes; it was only a symptom. The real trouble started when something terrible came down from the sky... It seems that this event turned this world into a "metropolis of salt." I guess they're talking about how most of the cities sunk into the ocean."

I guess this is the connection. Pretty interesting.

Yeah the fight before the end of Part 1 fucking blew my mind. INCREDIBLE boss fight.

It only gets even more awesome from there.

Just watched Emil turn into No. 7. Freakin' tragic!!!

Oyashiro

Holy shit, so glad I stuck it out for Ending B.
Very touching ending, I liked it a lot more than Ending A. And yay, Emil lives! <3
I'm thinking of going for C as well, but are there any missable weapons before the point of no return/new game + starting point?

Oyashiro said:
Holy shit, so glad I stuck it out for Ending B.
Very touching ending, I liked it a lot more than Ending A. And yay, Emil lives! <3
I'm thinking of going for C as well, but are there any missable weapons before the point of no return/new game + starting point?

There are no missable weapons. The Faith sword you get from
the mayor of the Forest of Myth if you do all the dream sequences
is hard to find if you missed it, but you can
buy it in the Aerie when the shops appear.

Oh, god damn shit! Please tell me this isn't a huge spoiler. I accidentally read it. :(
Honestly... yeah it's pretty huge. You just got past Part 1, right? Just go to the next dungeon red X point. You'll understand what I'm talking about in less than an hour.

Vitten

tip: Please do NOT bother with the trophies/platinum in this game. Requires soooo much grinding and farming you'll end up hating it to its core.

Just enjoy it for what it is and you'll have a great time.

Vitten said:
tip: Please do NOT bother with the trophies/platinum in this game. Requires soooo much grinding and farming you'll end up hating it to its core.

I've gotten most of them fairly naturally aside from the boss trophies as of the second run. If you do all the quests and check the blinky item spots a lot than you wind up getting a ton of items you'll use later. Just never sell anything ever.

Vitten said:

I still need three more achievements, the ones for 30 upgrades, the speed run, and the flower one. But I don't think I'll even bother, it doesn't seem to be worth the time, especially since it's only 40 points. The other achievements weren't so bad though.

pancakesandsex said:
I've gotten most of them fairly naturally aside from the boss trophies as of the second run. If you do all the quests and check the blinky item spots a lot than you wind up getting a ton of items you'll use later. Just never sell anything ever.

That's enough to get the 5 upgrades achievement and with a few hours of grinding, the 15 upgrades one. But to fully upgrade every weapon you will have to spend a long time grinding/reloading for rare drops.

Vitten

pancakesandsex said:

I'm mostly refering to the 'upgrade all weapons to max level' trophy. You really have to go out of your way to get all the crap and rare items that are required for that. Reloading the same area for hours on end for a freaking black pearl or egg, fighting the same ennemies over and over and over for that one rare drop.. I never felt more like a dirty trophy whore than this.
And the white moonflower thing requiring hours of console time-setting manipulation isn't making me any happier either.

Vitten said:
I'm mostly refering to the 'upgrade all weapons to max level' trophy. You really have to go out of your way to get all the crap and rare items that are required for that. Reloading the same area for hours on end for a freaking black pearl or egg, fighting the same ennemies over and over and over for that one rare drop.. I never felt more like a dirty trophy whore than this.
And the white moonflower thing requiring hours of console time-setting manipulation isn't making me any happier either.

I'm working on the flowers now, I supposed I'll reload a few times for that one, or do the clock trick. I need pink seeds for the last quest.

I'm going to farm the 3rd DLC door for rare drops a few times. I got a ton of neat stuff from that. I'm actually pretty good on black pearls. I got a bunch when I was going back and forth to seafront for quests earlier. I think what I need are forlorn necklaces and some of the other drops from the more out of the way enemies, not from farming. My first run through the DLC got me 2 eagle eggs. I wanna do my ending C run on hard mode as well, so I have more reason to do the DLC again.

glaurung

Got the DLC last night.

To access the DLC, you interact with an old journal in Nier's house, first floor. Reading it will teleport you to a white room with two doors. You will be in Nier Replicant main character's skin. The first door will take you back to the main story line and Nier. The second door will take you to another dungeon.

I went through the dungeon door and was one-shotted by some bats. I'm around level 9, which is quite definitely too low for this DLC.

Still awesome though.

anddo0

Vitten said:

I agree

I wasted 2 (real time hours) trying to harvest a pink moonflower seed. I pretty much gave up my trophy hunt for this game after that. I thought FFX13 was a grind, boy was I wrong.

anddo0 said:
I agree

I wasted 2 (real time hours) trying to harvest a pink moonflower seed. I pretty much gave up my trophy hunt for this game after that. I thought FFX13 was a grind, boy was I wrong.

It's easier if you just plant a bunch of stuff before you stop playing for the day.

mjc

The sidequests in this game almost killed the entire package for me. It got to a point where I just said fuck it and went full steam on the story missions. I just cleared part 1 last night...is there a good amount of story left?

pancakesandsex said:
It's easier if you just plant a bunch of stuff before you stop playing for the day.
Or just change your PS3's internal clock 18 hours for the first batch, 36 hours for the second (so you can harvest the seeds).

ZephyrFate said:
Or just change your PS3's internal clock 18 hours for the first batch, 36 hours for the second (so you can harvest the seeds).

Right but I don't even have to bother doing that. I planted some shit last night, went off to beat ending B, and I'll harvest them tomorrow next time I play.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, the side-quest stuff in Nier is lifted straight out of FFXI (fishing, gardening and all). And as anyone who's given over their life to that particular beast of a game will tell you, its time-sink city. So you need to either make your peace with that, or just do the bits that don't drive you to insanity.

Speaking of influences, watching ending B (which is fantastic btw) it suddenly clicked to me that the scenario writer is very likely a big fan of Kazuo Kiriya's movie of Casshern. I wont say more because I'd hate to spoiler stuff, particularly as such a major feature of Nier's plotting is its subversion of expectations.

matmanx1

Messed around with the DLC last night. I think it's fantastic. Not only does it absolutely tie the game to
Drakengard
it also features some absolutely kick ass music and battle areas.

I've gotten the new 1h and 2h sword and 2 new outfits so far. There's a spear left, right? Which door is that behind because when presented with 3 doors in a row I kept picking one that I'd already been in and re-running it.

Nier as Kabuki looks absolutely ridiculous although Kaine' looks amazing so I guess it evens out!:D

lljride

Clear said:
Its funny, the side-quest stuff in Nier is lifted straight out of FFXI (fishing, gardening and all). And as anyone who's given over their life to that particular beast of a game will tell you, its time-sink city. So you need to either make your peace with that, or just do the bits that don't drive you to insanity.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize this and I guess I've mostly made peace with it, at least enough to do the 30 quests for the trophy. I think I'm going to do most (if not all) of the part 1 missions just to get the trophy out of the way, then just cherry pick quests in part 2 like the 4 weapon quests. Hopefully that'll let me concentrate more on the story later rather than getting sidetracked when the story picks up.

So far this game is blowing me away. Loving everything about it up to this point (just got to the Junk Heap).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
lljride said:
I think I'm going to do most (if not all) of the part 1 missions just to get the trophy out of the way, then just cherry pick quests in part 2 like the 4 weapon quests. Hopefully that'll let me concentrate more on the story later rather than getting sidetracked when the story picks up.

Probably wise as you have more than enough opportunity to do the second-half quests on replays, just don't burn yourself out. Until you've finished ending B, you really haven't seen the best Nier has to offer.

PS. Really love the DLC too, I hope they keep adding stuff.

matmanx1 said:
Messed around with the DLC last night. I think it's fantastic. Not only does it absolutely tie the game to
Drakengard
it also features some absolutely kick ass music and battle areas.

I've gotten the new 1h and 2h sword and 2 new outfits so far. There's a spear left, right? Which door is that behind because when presented with 3 doors in a row I kept picking one that I'd already been in and re-running it.

Nier as Kabuki looks absolutely ridiculous although Kaine' looks amazing so I guess it evens out!:D

The doors are added from left to right, so to get to the newest area, choose the door on the right.

Vitten said:

I think I'm the only person on GAF with a Nier platinum. What a sad honour :lol

lljride

About the only minor gripe I have with the gameplay so far is that it's hard to tell when you're being hit sometimes (although maybe it's just me). Of course there are the times when you get knocked 40 feet away and it's obvious, but sometimes I'll be fighting a group of enemies and next thing I know I'm at half health. Doesn't seem like there's any rumble or flashes around your character when you get hit, but again it might just be me.

I probably just suck at the game, not like it hasn't happened before.:lol

lljride said:
About the only minor gripe I have with the gameplay so far is that it's hard to tell when you're being hit sometimes (although maybe it's just me). Of course there are the times when you get knocked 40 feet away and it's obvious, but sometimes I'll be fighting a group of enemies and next thing I know I'm at half health. Doesn't seem like there's any rumble or flashes around your character when you get hit, but again it might just be me.

I probably just suck at the game, not like it hasn't happened before.:lol

Naw that's a very real problem in the game. As you level I think you get knocked back less and less as well, so sometimes you'll get clubbed and not even realize it. Had to really pay attention in the dlc.

Ridley327

I think I'll be wrapping up the Ending B run today, and all I have to say is that thus far (about to do the event in Facade) the new material is nothing if not completely evil. The
P-33 and Kalil revelation
has warped my fragile little mind. :lol

People getting frustrated with some of the early side quests... If you stop, please resume with the ones you get at the very end of the game. They are awesome!

pancakesandsex said:
I'm working on it, JEEZ, quit rushin me.

Well, good luck to you sir ;)

The most frustrating thing was probably getting the white moonflower. I still can't believe that's a bronze trophy. Subdued bracelets were also kind of a pain in the ass. Probably easier with the DLC now.

Sacha

schennmu said:
Subdued bracelets were also kind of a pain in the ass. Probably easier with the DLC now.

Where did you farm the subdued bracelets and the metal piercings ? On the flying shades in the desert ? What about the forlorn necklaces ? That's more or less what I'm really missing, I only have 10 weapons left to upgrade to get the Platinum !

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ridley237 said:
I think I'll be wrapping up the Ending B run today, and all I have to say is that thus far (about to do the event in Facade) the new material is nothing if not completely evil.

Keep playing, the surprises keep coming ;)

The storytelling in this game is freakishly brilliant in my opinion. Massive kudos to the localization team too, so much weight is placed on the text and dialogue and yet it bears it gracefully

matmanx1

Anyone own the official soundtrack and mind checking something for me? Is the new music in the DLC on the soundtrack? A few of the new tracks are pretty awesome.

In fact the whole OST is freakin awesome and I'd really like to purchase it very soon.

matmanx1 said:
Anyone own the official soundtrack and mind checking something for me? Is the new music in the DLC on the soundtrack? A few of the new tracks are pretty awesome.

In fact the whole OST is freakin awesome and I'd really like to purchase it very soon.

No dlc tracks sadly. I'm thinking they will release some kind of additional ost when all the dlc is out.

Alex

I've heard some good things from a few trusted folks, sounds like a pretty solid Cavia B-tier kind of thing, I'll have to pick it up down the road. Also, thanks to the folks who gave random impressions in the thread, I read a lot of those too.

Ridley327

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow @ Ending B.
I expected the Shadowlord to be Nier Prime or what have you since his first appearance, but I can't believe they flipped the entire script on you with the bosses. The names of the key fragments make perfect sense now and now I wish everyone in Facade died! Also, :lol :lol :lol @ Emil's reappearance; nothing is ever going to keep that guy down.

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Sacha said:
Where did you farm the subdued bracelets and the metal piercings ? On the flying shades in the desert ? What about the forlorn necklaces ? That's more or less what I'm really missing, I only have 10 weapons left to upgrade to get the Platinum !

Yes, SB and MP from flying Shades in the desert. Both are rare (yellow) drops, but the metal piercings are more common.

FN from the magic casting armored shades on the roof of the lost shrine (not in the shrine).
They also drop broken earrings.

Seriously, I couldn't have done it without watching episode after episode of Southpark while playing, thanks SP :lol

More DLC? Nice.

Vrakanox

I kind of hope the DLC never ends ;_;. Either that or make a sequel or bring Replicant or something. I just want more of this masterpiece! Mooooooore!:D

RpgN

Just played 2 hours and 38 minutes first time with this game. It got me all glued and I kept thinking 'one more time' or 'let me clear this area (or quest) first' which is a good sign in my book. I liked what the game has to offer and can't wait to play more of it the next time. The conversation so far has been really funny between Weiss and the lead character. I'm confused about the beginning of the game though.
Near the beginning of the story you were in a different time and once you were done in that area you were brought 1312 years later or something. How is it possible that the same dad and daughter are together over a thousand years later? And even though it says 1000 years later it feels like a 1000 years before. Where Yonah's sickness seems to be not as bad and the father seems to not remember that book. I'm confused about the timeline, what's the deal? Don't spoil it if some of the answers will spoil it for me pretty please.

Ridley327

RpgN said:
Just played 2 hours and 38 minutes first time with this game. It got me all glued and I kept thinking 'one more time' or 'let me clear this area (or quest) first' which is a good sign in my book. I liked what the game has to offer and can't wait to play more of it the next time. The conversation so far has been really funny between Weiss and the lead character. I'm confused about the beginning of the game though.
Near the beginning of the story you were in a different time and once you were done in that area you were brought 1312 years later or something. How is it possible that the same dad and daughter are together over a thousand years later? And even though it says 1000 years later it feels like a 1000 years before. Where Yonah's sickness seems to be not as bad and the father seems to not remember that book. I'm confused about the timeline, what's the deal? Don't spoil it if some of the answers will spoil it for me pretty please.

Stick with the game when it comes to the additional endings and it will get explained.

Top Bottom