• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

satriales

I bought Nier a few days ago and have played it solidly for the last three days. I love it. :D

I have a question though: I'm well into part 2 now and had a few unfinished quests from part 1. Will I miss anything by not doing those quests? I already got the trophy for 30 quests and as far as I can see I don't need to get 100% of quests in a playthrough, but I'd like to know for sure.

Apparently the director (Taro Yokoo) is leaving AQ Interactive at the end of January.
he said he will retire from AQ Interactive at the end of January 2011
he asks fans, in a humble way, not to have expectations about where he’ll land. 4gamer lists his position as "unemployed."
:\ Hopefully if SE wants to do more with Nier as a franchise they'll hire him. It would be interesting if he ended up somewhere like Atlus, where I could see him fitting in.

Edit: On another note, after playing the DLC I really wish that we had gotten Young/Brother Nier. I think the game could have sold better here if the integrity hadn't been compromised by the clear half-assed attempt to appeal to western markets. While I do like the father/daughter dynamic, I think a brother/sister dynamic could have worked just as well, if not more so. A young, immature Nier would be more sympathetic, since he is a narrow-minded fool. Old/Father Nier just comes across as a psychotic brute of a father. Not to mention, some of the exchanges between him and Grimoire Noir would be a bit less silly and make more sense.

I tried to buy this game new at Gamestop today but they were sold out at three of them. Gamestops sealing them a lot cheaper than any other store so I must wait it out. I really want to play this game! All the positive stuff I hear about it makes it seem like exactly what I've been looking for.

They had some nasty used ones but no no no -_-

gdt

Can someone lay out the general pro's and con's of this game? Saw it cheap recently, and I know there's a vocal fanbase for it, but the general reception is pretty terrible.

1stStrike

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Can someone lay out the general pro's and con's of this game? Saw it cheap recently, and I know there's a vocal fanbase for it, but the general reception is pretty terrible.

You could, you know, read a couple pages back in this thread. There's all kinds of feedback on both sides of it throughout. At this point I'm getting a bit tired of repeating myself.

ninj4junpei said:
Apparently the director (Taro Yokoo) is leaving AQ Interactive at the end of January.

:\ Hopefully if SE wants to do more with Nier as a franchise they'll hire him. It would be interesting if he ended up somewhere like Atlus, where I could see him fitting in.

Edit: On another note, after playing the DLC I really wish that we had gotten Young/Brother Nier. I think the game could have sold better here if the integrity hadn't been compromised by the clear half-assed attempt to appeal to western markets. While I do like the father/daughter dynamic, I think a brother/sister dynamic could have worked just as well, if not more so. A young, immature Nier would be more sympathetic, since he is a narrow-minded fool. Old/Father Nier just comes across as a psychotic brute of a father. Not to mention, some of the exchanges between him and Grimoire Noir would be a bit less silly and make more sense.
Old man Nier was the original version and the game was originally a 360 exclusive.

Young Nier is the compromised version.

john tv

ninj4junpei said:
Definitely disagree. It's just not as easy to care about Yonah IMO if you're a feminine-looking little wimp of a character like the JP Nier. A father's love knows no bounds, it's just more believable that way IMO. I think they were wise to go with the adult version in the West (and half of Japan).

gdt

1stStrike said:
You could, you know, read a couple pages back in this thread. There's all kinds of feedback on both sides of it throughout. At this point I'm getting a bit tired of repeating myself.

Tried this, but most posts consists of "Oh wow, I can't believe how amazing this game is, yeah it's ugly, but whatever".

john tv said:
Definitely disagree. It's just not as easy to care about Yonah IMO if you're a feminine-looking little wimp of a character like the JP Nier. A father's love knows no bounds, it's just more believable that way IMO. I think they were wise to go with the adult version in the West (and half of Japan).
I'd also add that Nier's relationships with Kaine and Emil are different and way inferior if he's not the adult father figure.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
ShockingAlberto said:
Old man Nier was the original version and the game was originally a 360 exclusive.

I seem to recall Young Nier actually was the original version. But they had a vote and decided that Old Nier was the canonical version, or something like that. Either way, playing as a father is kind of badass. Feels cooler than playing as your regular ol' pretty boy brother.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
john tv said:
I think that's pretty much it. How many titles do you play as pretty lil anime boy? They get someone like JYB then to voice him over, where it's the 15 year old boy crying about his sister and lashing out.

Compared that to older version, where it's the father who has lost everything except his daughter. It's just more believable this way, to see the length a father goes through.

More Taken basically!

I think they should have offered the two different versions for the two different systems in the US just like Japan. Because the story didn't really go into fatherhood like DQV did, it just presented Nier as protector. What role/version of the character that players more identify with is more of a subjective thing than an objective one.

1stStrike

Banned
When I think of brother/sister struggles and shit I think of "The Last Remnant" which had a fun battle system, but a terrible story and a really dumb and predictable ending. We don't need anymore of those.

gdt5016 said:
Tried this, but most posts consists of "Oh wow, I can't believe how amazing this game is, yeah it's ugly, but whatever".

Okay, I will break it down for you, but note that everyone has their own opinion of the game, and this is based on my own.

Pro's:

1. Story. It's a very dark story and it takes itself seriously. This is no Final Fantasy.

2. Characters. They are all quite interesting, tortured in some way, and the voice overs are generally top notch. I think most people are in agreement that Weiss is the best in the game.

3. The magic system is fairly unique. It's raw and violent and you really get the feeling that you're ripping shit apart. Add to this a big 2 handed weapon later on and you're set.

4. Replay value. Once you finish your first play through you start at the 2nd half of the game and can replay it from that point, along with all your equipment/spells/items and view new cut scenes from Kaine's perspective, and get an alternate ending which "completes" the story. It's definitely worth it and will only take 4 or 5 hours to plow through if you do no side quests.

5. Unique styles of gameplay - it hits just about every camera type and even does a throw back to some old school MUDS at one point, which I found pretty fun.

6. The music is awesome. For myself, and many others, it's the soundtrack of the year. I still listen to it almost daily.

Cons:

1. Controls can be a bit clunky at times

2. Some of the puzzles are a bit annoying, but not really all that hard.

3. The side quests pretty much have you running in circles the entire time doing fetch and delivery quests, and are quite redundant. There are a couple that are definitely worth doing, however, as they are unique from the rest and tell a good story.

4. It's overall a small world and you're constantly going back to the same couple of places.

5. This seems to bother some people (but I never had any issues) - short loops on the music, so it tends to repeat itself. I personally love the music, so I was never really bothered by it.

6. The boss battles are easy. I don't think I had issues with any of them throughout the game. If you play on hard, however, expect a world of hurt.

It has its flaws. There's some annoying or boring parts, some stuff that isn't great, and the graphics are so-so. But, looking past all that, if you enjoy jrpg's and are tired of happy go-lucky games where everyone is all ho-hum at the end and nobody dies, then this is the game for you. It's brutal and it doesn't hold any punches.

gdt

1stStrike said:
When I think of brother/sister struggles and shit I think of "The Last Remnant" which had a fun battle system, but a terrible story and a really dumb and predictable ending. We don't need anymore of those.

Okay, I will break it down for you, but note that everyone has their own opinion of the game, and this is based on my own.

Pro's:

1. Story. It's a very dark story and it takes itself seriously. This is no Final Fantasy.

2. Characters. They are all quite interesting, tortured in some way, and the voice overs are generally top notch. I think most people are in agreement that Weiss is the best in the game.

3. The magic system is fairly unique. It's raw and violent and you really get the feeling that you're ripping shit apart. Add to this a big 2 handed weapon later on and you're set.

4. Replay value. Once you finish your first play through you start at the 2nd half of the game and can replay it from that point, along with all your equipment/spells/items and view new cut scenes from Kaine's perspective, and get an alternate ending which "completes" the story. It's definitely worth it and will only take 4 or 5 hours to plow through if you do no side quests.

5. Unique styles of gameplay - it hits just about every camera type and even does a throw back to some old school MUDS at one point, which I found pretty fun.

6. The music is awesome. For myself, and many others, it's the soundtrack of the year. I still listen to it almost daily.

Cons:

1. Controls can be a bit clunky at times

2. Some of the puzzles are a bit annoying, but not really all that hard.

3. The side quests pretty much have you running in circles the entire time doing fetch and delivery quests, and are quite redundant. There are a couple that are definitely worth doing, however, as they are unique from the rest and tell a good story.

4. It's overall a small world and you're constantly going back to the same couple of places.

5. This seems to bother some people (but I never had any issues) - short loops on the music, so it tends to repeat itself. I personally love the music, so I was never really bothered by it.

6. The boss battles are easy. I don't think I had issues with any of them throughout the game. If you play on hard, however, expect a world of hurt.

It has its flaws. There's some annoying or boring parts, some stuff that isn't great, and the graphics are so-so. But, looking past all that, if you enjoy jrpg's and are tired of happy go-lucky games where everyone is all ho-hum at the end and nobody dies, then this is the game for you. It's brutal and it doesn't hold any punches.

I'm in, I think.

During the sidequest where you have to get a drink for Popola, Nier mentions that she got drunk once and destroyed a shop and knocked down a wall. :lol That's some brilliant foreshadowing.
john tv said:
Well, I would rather play as a "feminine-looking little wimp of a character" than a hideous, brutish caveman. Two can play this game. :p I say that as someone who likes Cole in Infamous! Nier isn't so much blinded by love as he is stupidity.
ShockingAlberto said:

I've read that the director intended for Nier to be the brother, rather than the father. I feel that the role was written with that intent and reflects it. I'm really glad that it wasn't a 360 exclusive, and I'm sure SE is too. :lol Young Nier helped save it in Japan. I doubt Old Nier did them any favors in the west.

dili

Easy_D said:
I seem to recall Young Nier actually was the original version. But they had a vote and decided that Old Nier was the canonical version, or something like that. Either way, playing as a father is kind of badass. Feels cooler than playing as your regular ol' pretty boy brother.
He was. Even without already knowing, just by playing you could tell that it was made for Young Nier primarily, and they shoehorned Old Nier later.

Especially

With the time skip in the middle. In the first half in Nier Replicant, Nier is just a boy, after the 5 year time skip he becomes a man and is also now able to weild spears and heavy swords and is now more physically capable of saving Yonah. This part in the Nier the US got, doesn't make as much sense as it did with young nier.

dili said:
He was. Even without already knowing, just by playing you could tell that it was made for Young Nier primarily, and they shoehorned Old Nier later.

Especially

With the time skip in the middle. In the first half in Nier Replicant, Nier is just a boy, after the 5 year time skip he becomes a man and is also now able to weild spears and heavy swords and is now more physically capable of saving Yonah. This part in the Nier the US got, doesn't make as much sense as it did with young nier.
It made plenty of sense. Shades were getting stronger and he is doing pretty much nothing but killing shades, so he learned how to use different weapons. You don't just learn how to use spears with age, you become a better, more experienced fighter over time.

dili said:

Especially

I didn't consider that. That makes a whole lot of sense. :O I thought that the time skip seemed pointless.
ShockingAlberto said:
It made plenty of sense. Shades were getting stronger and he is doing pretty much nothing but killing shades, so he learned how to use different weapons. You don't just learn how to use spears with age, you become a better, more experienced fighter over time.
You are not disproving the point.

Young/Androgynous Nier makes more sense when you consider that
both Emile and Kaine have feelings for him. I would hate to think that they both are attracted to him because of his dripping masculinity and fatherness.

dili said:

Especially

Out of curiosity, in Replicant is he a boy or a young man in the opening scene in the snowy city?

dili

chaostrophy said:
Out of curiosity, in Replicant is he a boy or a young man in the opening scene in the snowy city?
He's a boy. We don't see Young man Nier man until after the time skip. That's what made that scene wher NieR comes back after the time skip awesome. With his age and strength at the time, he wasn't able to defend Yonah and go after
Shadowlord
After the time skip he's been training until he finally became adult and is wayyyy more skilled to where he is now wielding heavy FFVII Cloud swords and spears, and can now rescue Yonah.

With Old Nier, he waits 5 years....and gets an eye patch. :\

dili said:
He's a boy. We don't see Young man Nier man until after the time skip. That's what made that scene wher NieR comes back after the time skip awesome. With his age and strength at the time, he wasn't able to defend Yonah and go after
Shadowlord
After the time skip he's been training until he finally became adult and is wayyyy more skilled to where he is now wielding heavy FFVII Cloud swords and spears, and can now rescue Yonah.
Wait, does his model change to reflect it? o_O
:lol That was my reaction as well. What a waste of a time skip.

dili

ninj4junpei said:
Wait, does his model age to reflect it? o_O
Yes.

This is Nier Replicant in the first half
imVVB.jpg

And this is Nier Replicant after the time skip
o1A3H.jpg

dili

^ Same here!

They most likely cut out the love theme between Kaine and NieR because of the inclusion of Old man NieR as well, and him having a dead wife and such. You could see several allusions throughout the game pointing as such (especially at the end) but nothing ever happens between them. That's what disappoints me the most.

Rufus

Interesting. Old Nier still fits though. Emile being into him turns into Emile admiring Nier as a father figure, which is what I originally thought. (I think there's one creepily ambiguous line, right before the marriage of the mask people's prince, but aside from that...) Kaine being into him makes sense for either versions. The biggest issue is the time skip, in that the time frame specifically seems arbitrary for Old Nier. When I played it it was obvious that he was not strong enough, so I didn't really question it. That being said, it does make more sense as a growing up time skip. Wasn't there something else that happened right after the time skip that was the starting point for the second part of the adventure? Kaine? A new clue? The twins? I don't remember any more...

Kaine and Nier potentially hooking up? Never would have happened/led to a happy ending.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
dili said:
Shadowlord

Sorta huge spoiler:
The fact that he ages at all makes no sense considering he's a replicant, they don't age, do they?

Easy_D said:
Sorta huge spoiler:
The fact that he ages at all makes no sense considering he's a replicant, they don't age, do they?
Yonah ages, as does the boy at the junk yard. I don't think Emile ages because he is a biological weapon.
dili said:
They most likely cut out the love theme between Kaine and NieR because of the inclusion of Old man NieR as well, and him having a dead wife and such. You could see several allusions throughout the game pointing as such (especially at the end) but nothing ever happens between them. That's what disappoints me the most.
Towards the end,
Kaine was so close to kissing him before the final battle.

Well I'm thinking about getting this game but don't know a lot about it other than this thread is on the front page of GAF most of the time.

I have now read the first post in this thread. The weird characters seem interesting. This is all I know.

The only reason I'm interested in it is that it is £12 in GAME and I have £7.50 reward card points to take off the price.

Now is there anything I should know or should I buy this game and play it blind?

ashbash159 said:
Well I'm thinking about getting this game but don't know a lot about it other than this thread is on the front page of GAF most of the time.

I have now read the first post in this thread. The weird characters seem interesting. This is all I know.

The only reason I'm interested in it is that it is £12 in GAME and I have £7.50 reward card points to take off the price.

Now is there anything I should know or should I buy this game and play it blind?
Play it blind. :) I did, and I am happy that I did so.

I don't think I'd love the game as much as I do without Old Man Nier. He grows on you.

ashbash159 said:

Have the patience to see past small design flaws. The game is full of them. Most early negativity stems from this. See: Fishing Review Fiasco (it really is rather simple).

ashbash159 said:
Xbox 360 or PS3? European edition if you didn't already guess from the "£".
I believe that the difference is very minimal between the two. Just go with whichever controller you like better/etc. Personally, I don't like to play RPGs with a 360 controller.

Edit: Jeez, I need to stop reading this thread. I've left Nier on pause in the other room for like 30+ minutes now. :lol

Edit #2: The second battle against Hook and the scenes around it were much, much more touching this time around. ;_; Nier's lines during these events definitely seemed like they were written for a younger character. The "we are friends" line definitely seems awkward coming from a middle-aged man. Eat that, john tv. :p

dili

Just saw this:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/31/developers_2010/

Yosuke Saito
Executive Producer at Square Enix. Worked on NieR Gestalt/Replicant and Cross Treasure

Said that a number of things related to NieR are in progress.
Also (and it's not clear if this has anything to do with NieR) Saito said there could be a big announcement next year. Regarding this, there are many things that he'd like to say but can't.

Yay. :D

Hopefully something else besides more DLC.

That's good to hear, but I'm keeping my expectations low in case Taro Yokoo isn't involved. :\ If he isn't involved, I'm not sure I can trust what Yosuke Saito will do with the series.

dili said:
The reason he decided to wait till January to retire from AQ Interactive was because he's been writing the script for NieR 2 before he leaves....right? :(

I'm just wondering what "a number of things" can be. Well, at least Square didn't completely abandon the franchise after it didn't turn into the success they probably expected. Gives me hopes for a sequel.
2a790cy.jpg

Yosuke Saito is a funny person. Though, I have to thank him for getting Nier produced in the first place.

I suppose Taro Yokoo must be doing something before he leaves.

I just played through the Barren Temple sequence. It was so much quicker this time around, since I actually thought to use Dark Blast. *slaps forehead* The Legend of Zelda reference gets me every time. :lol

Caelestis

Hmmmm, after the whole thing with Cavia and Yokoo I thought it would be the end for Nier, but now I will impatiently wait for the future announcements. :eek:

The question I'm afraid to ask is will it be on a console or handheld? It would be a shame if it was on a handheld, because Nier's engine is very nice looking. Then again, look at what happened to Valkyria Chronicles. :\

Caelestis

I would hope for it to be for a console, too, but perhaps a 3DS would not to be too bad either. It sounds unlikely, though. I hope he not trolling us at least and whatever Nier product he is working on is actually a new game.

"... I don't understand a single goddamn thing that's happening right now." :lol I have to agree with Nier. Probably the most bizarre quest in the whole game. I like how later you can go up to her, and she will say, "Boyfriend? I don't have a boyfriend."

Edit: Holy crap, I finally started using Dark Phantasm. I unleashed a fully charged one on a big pack of wolves, and my shadow went to town on them. Also, I have completed half of the sidequests. :O Looking at a guide, there is still one that I need to do to complete part one. Good thing I looked at the guide.

Foxix Von

I keep hearing this game being mentioned, and I have a friend who hates it. However, my tastes are generally completely opposite of... well, anyone I've ever met.

Kind of want to at least give this a rental, are there any differences between the 360 & PS3 versions?

JadedOne

Foxix said:
I keep hearing this game being mentioned, and I have a friend who hates it. However, my tastes are generally completely opposite of... well, anyone I've ever met.

Kind of want to at least give this a rental, are there any differences between the 360 & PS3 versions?

No they're pretty much the same. :D

satriales

Foxix said:
You could probably buy it for not much more than the price of a rental. I picked it up for £9 the other day.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd be completely unsurprised if Nier got some kind of sequel or spin-off on a handheld.

Performance in Japan was probably somewhat better than expected, as although its 60k first week isn't on the face of it all that impressive - it was enough to get it to #1 and it had legs enough to sell-out its initial shipments.

My concern would be that any follow-up would be similar to Drakengard 2; mechanically improved but with a weaker and more conventional story.

Clear said:
I'd be completely unsurprised if Nier got some kind of sequel or spin-off on a handheld.

Performance in Japan was probably somewhat better than expected, as although its 60k first week isn't on the face of it all that impressive - it was enough to get it to #1 and it had legs enough to sell-out its initial shipments.

My concern would be that any follow-up would be similar to Drakengard 2; mechanically improved but with a weaker and more conventional story.
On the other hand, if Nier gets a Drakengard 2-like sequel, we could see a somehow-even-better soundtrack.

The midpoint of the game is where the script really starts to show its weaknesses.
Emil's speech to Weiss was awkward and forced. He had hardly known Weiss long enough to have such a close bond to him. It's something Nier should have said, and would fit a whole lot better coming from Young Nier. Emil would be far more attached to Kaine at that point. Kaine's conversation with Emil at the mansion was similar, but to a much lesser extent. It's understandable that she could immediately relate to him, because of his curse. However, it's still underdeveloped, especially since she asks him to stop her if she loses control of herself so soon. Kaine was still wishing for death on some level, obviously.

Weiss' encounter with Noir was a bit too black and white (heh) for my taste. It would have been more compelling if Noir wasn't immediately portrayed as being so maleficent. He should have used words and logic to try to bring the two of them together.

It doesn't quite make sense why the Shadowlord didn't take Yonah sooner, since obviously he wouldn't have been stoppable by Nier. I guess he was waiting for the sealed verses to be gathered to combine Weiss and Noir, or perhaps the sealed verses had him sealed away. Either way, Nier and Weiss stole the sealed verses back rather quickly, which seemed kind of silly.

Then there is the time skip, which is handled very poorly. I could understand a year or two but five? Especially for Old Nier, that was rather excessive. The addition of the eyepatch is incredibly superfluous, since I don't recall him having his eye hurt during the Shadowlord incident. Though it can be argued that he spent those five years training, searching for Yonah with no success, getting over his injuries, and working around the (assumingly) loss of the use of his right eye. In the case of Young Nier, it makes a whole lot more sense and would have been more fulfilling. Transitioning from adolescence to adulthood is far more significant that getting an eyepatch, especially if the script in Nier Replicant reflects the gain of maturity. It doesn't help that I have trouble understanding how it took Emil five years to discover the secret of the mansion. Of course, Kaine has a good excuse for not doing much during those five years. :lol The village itself doesn't change much at all, and they don't even repair the library. What the hell have they been doing during those five years? I'm under the impression that the shades were not overtly aggressive towards the village until when the narrative starts up again.

I'll have more criticisms later.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I am really loving this game. I just got to
some village where they don't speak my language and the childish anime nerd in me likes to imagine that I'm in the hidden village of the sand or something.
I wish they would make an open world Naruto game like this. I am in love with the dialog between Weiss my character and Kaine. As I'm sure everyone has said, Weiss is so fantastic.

FootNinja said:
I am really loving this game. I just got to
some village where they don't speak my language and the childish anime nerd in me likes to imagine that I'm in the hidden village of the sand or something.
I wish they would make an open world Naruto game like this. I am in love with the dialog between Weiss my character and Kaine. As I'm sure everyone has said, Weiss is so fantastic.
Facade is great, and leads to some really humorous jokes and sidequests. :lol

Top Bottom