• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube has now begun skipping videos altogether for users with ad blockers

Saber

But, none of that matters though.

They’re a company trying to sell you entertainment, either pay for it or stop whinging.

They’re not shutting off your water supply…

Google make billions of everything you do on internet, they don't sell entertaiment lol they use people to make content for them and not only profits from them but estipulate rules siding with companies against creators. The least thing they need is money and defense arguments.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

You do realize that Google makes Billions and Billions by selling our data.
We have already paid, a lot, with our privacy.
What Google is doing is called double dipping.

And let's remember that Google creates none of the content on youtube. They are not producing content for their own platform, like Netflix, Disney, HBO, etc.
Google is just leeching off unto creators that put all the time and effort.
And then Google just screws them with random rules and demonetization.
It doesn’t matter what your argument is, they’re still just selling entertainment, not air. They well within their rights to charge £100 a month if they really want to.

You don’t need it, so it’s either a superfluous expense you’re willing to pay for or it isn’t.

winjer

Gold Member
It doesn’t matter what your argument is, they’re still just selling entertainment, not air. They well within their rights to charge £100 a month if they really want to.

You don’t need it, so it’s either a superfluous expense you’re willing to pay for or it isn’t.

Stop defending a billion dollar corporation.
Google doesn't care about you or any of us.

NinjaBoiX

Stop defending a billion dollar corporation.
Google doesn't care about you or any of us.
I’m honestly not defending them, simply pointing out that complaining about the price of something utterly unnecessary is just pointless. Like I said before, they aren’t cutting off your water or starving your kids.

You don’t get to decide how the game is played, simply whether you want to play or not.

Edit: and lest we forget, you can use their service for free for people who can’t afford to pay for it, they just have ads.

I literally don’t get the complaints…🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I’m honestly not defending them, simply pointing out that complaining about the price of something utterly unnecessary is just pointless. Like I said before, they aren’t cutting off your water or starving your kids.

You don’t get to decide how the game is played, simply whether you want to play or not.

Edit: and lest we forget, you can use their service for free for people who can’t afford to pay for it, they just have ads.

I literally don’t get the complaints…🤷🏼‍♂️

Consumers are not passive actors that just accept what corporations want.
Unlike you, most consumers have the ability to think and react to the decisions of corporations, and push back when needed.

NinjaBoiX

Consumers are not passive actors that just accept what corporations want.
Unlike you, most consumers have the ability to think and react to the decisions of corporations, and push back when needed.
The push back is not paying for premium. You vote with your wallet, that’s how market pricing works.

So don’t pay and just put up with the ads, simple.

winjer

Gold Member
The push back is not paying for premium. You vote with your wallet, that’s how market pricing works.

So don’t pay and just put up with the ads, simple.

The pushback is blocking ads, that are getting more and more intrusive.
Especially considering we all have already paid billions to Google, with our data.

kikkis

So does somebody have any evidence that google has sold forth your phone number, credit card, email address, youtube search history and already public comments etc. for another corporation for tens of billions of dollars? Who has that kind of money that they can further benefit where google cant in terms of ads?

NinjaBoiX

The pushback is blocking ads, that are getting more and more intrusive.
Especially considering we all have already paid billions to Google, with our data.
So you can keep fighting them with ad-blockers, then whinge when their tech team gets the upper hand.

Or you can either legitimately push back by just putting up with the ads.

Pick your poison I guess.

winjer

Gold Member
Manifest V3 is getting closer and this means a much worse internet. We can thanks Google for that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You do realize that Google makes Billions and Billions by selling our data.
We have already paid, a lot, with our privacy.
What Google is doing is called double dipping.

And let's remember that Google creates none of the content on youtube. They are not producing content for their own platform, like Netflix, Disney, HBO, etc.
Google is just leeching off unto creators that put all the time and effort.
And then Google just screws them with random rules and demonetization.
Really, you could level the same accusation at Netflix or Disney - in that they have deals with third party production companies who will ask them to pay for their productions, not everything on those channels, even the exclusives, are actually in-house productions. They're just funded by the platform. And to some degree, bigger youtubers are paying for their productions with Youtube's money - The revenue they earn from videos funds their next video (I'm of course not talking about an individual sitting at home talking on a webcam, production costs probably aren't that high there...).

But, in terms of value elsewhere, Youtube offers creators the tools to distribute and make money from the content they make. Google could, if they wanted to, lock the platform down and say that everyone who wanted to post a video would need to pay a membership fee. Or they could put some unfriendly clause in about IP ownership. That's obviously not how the business model works, but the value that Google offer creators - that is being on the biggest video distribution platform in the world IS worth something to creators. Without an audience, you're nothing.

On top of that, the ads give the channels their revenue - and they get most of it (55%, so not a lot more than half, but still most) of it. That's how it works - that youtubers can make this their profession through ad revenue and sponsorship.

For Youtubers, if they couldn't make money with ads, there'd be fewer of them. And for Google, if they didn't get paid by advertisers, what would be the point in serving up billions of videos a day?

I get not liking the ads. I don't like the ads either. I have considered paying for premium to make them go away. But I don't get the outrage at there being ads, that the platform wants to make sure people see.

Obviously run whatever plugins you want, I don't care if Google makes less money, I agree that they make plenty. But so does Nike and Coca Cola and they're not giving Jordans and cans of coke away. They could totally afford to though.

Mistake

But, in terms of value elsewhere, Youtube offers creators the tools to distribute and make money from the content they make. Google could, if they wanted to, lock the platform down and say that everyone who wanted to post a video would need to pay a membership fee. Or they could put some unfriendly clause in about IP ownership. That's obviously not how the business model works, but the value that Google offer creators - that is being on the biggest video distribution platform in the world IS worth something to creators. Without an audience, you're nothing.

On top of that, the ads give the channels their revenue - and they get most of it (55%, so not a lot more than half, but still most) of it. That's how it works - that youtubers can make this their profession through ad revenue and sponsorship.

For Youtubers, if they couldn't make money with ads, there'd be fewer of them. And for Google, if they didn't get paid by advertisers, what would be the point in serving up billions of videos a day?
I've seen how much creators make off youtube ads, and it's a fraction of a cent. It's a complete joke. Why do you think so many creators get their own sponsors or sell merch? Because youtube pays?

Youtube does have lots of tools, but distribution is going down the tubes for small creators as well. Corporate channels or high count creators are pushed instead. Even if you do well, good luck keeping what you have with their ever changing rules, as Vsauce here talks about

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've seen how much creators make off youtube ads, and it's a fraction of a cent. It's a complete joke. Why do you think so many creators get their own sponsors or sell merch? Because youtube pays?

Youtube does have lots of tools, but distribution is going down the tubes for small creators as well. Corporate channels or high count creators are pushed instead. Even if you do well, good luck keeping what you have with their ever changing rules, as Vsauce here talks about

Well, the point is that Google is providing the platform, and connecting the creators with the advertisers. That's a service. Google take less than half the money and you can bet they try to get as much ad revenue in as possible. So perhaps there's an element of market forces at work.

Either way, the general gist is that the advertising revenue is what makes the whole operation possible, and there's a cost involved in getting content to appear on your phone screen. You could easily set about getting content to people and arranging your own advertisers. It's entirely possible.

But it's probably not easy. If it was easy, loads of people would do it.

Youtubers do patreons and merch and events because it makes money that they can add to their income. It's pretty simple that once you get to a certain size, or you provide niche content, people are up for supporting it.

But, on topic, it's up to you to decide how fair it is, how much Youtube invested initially, how much google paid to develop it further, how much it costs to keep it going, etc. If you really think it's unfair, go watch content somewhere else and support a platform that treats creators the way you think they should be treated.

But, complaining that you should get an ad-free experience for nothing doesn't really make sense when someone is paying to get that content to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom