• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube has now begun skipping videos altogether for users with ad blockers

thief183

Google already use my videos to teach his AI , I already paid my fee, brave+adb, I will never give them more money. Also I should pay for a platform where everyone have to invent new way to censor "bad" words? Never.

I mean content creator evoid saying "Covid" ffs! I will never support a platform like this, I prefer to donate monthly to ad block.

Trilobit

I won't pay to google ever again after they removed Premium Lite. I have zero interest in Youtube Music or having an Off-line mode. Ublock origins ftw.

Portugeezer

You forget another way we pay for these services, especially with Google: our data and our privacy.
And this is worth billions and billions of dollars. That is why Google is one of the most lucrative companies in the world, despite offering it's services for "free".
So what Google is trying to do is called double dipping. They already got paid, but want to get paid again.
Interesting, I've seen this mentioned by a few people.

Are there any figures? Do we happen to know how much an individuals data is worth to Google vs how much YouTube upkeep costs for an average viewer.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I use my series X to watch YouTube all the time on my TV, and it got really really bad with ads.. I used game pass’s 3 free months perk on YouTube premium back in April and I won’t be able to go back to non premium now after it.. Closing down my Disney plus next month to offset the cost when that perk runs out.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I feel more people would accept browsing Youtube without an ad blocker if the service wasn't just straight up unusable without one. The ads have gotten so long and aggressive that no one who doesn't hate himself is using Youtube without an ad blocker. And Youtube Premium is a pretty bad deal because you still get ads, just less aggressively.

And more importantly: Youtube and Google make money off of a video multiple times anyway and Google use the videos as training data for their neural networks. So they get training data for free (which is worth quite a whole lot, actually.)

Yeah...Youtube can fuck off, lmao.
Wait what, you still get ads with premium? I had a 3 month trial last year and i got no ads.

Hudo

Wait what, you still get ads with premium? I had a 3 month trial last year and i got no ads.
A friend of mine has Youtube Premium and she still is seeing ads (and ad-driven recommendations) on the website. What she doesn't see is ads before and during a video, tho.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Everyone has three choices: watch videos with ads, pay for Premium or don't use YouTube at all. I think it's fair.
hungry danger island GIF by Archer

SiteSeer

i would have considered premium but they nuked my account that i had started when yt was only a couple months old. was a bunch of car vids (i actually posted the first ferrari enzo vid on yt) and gta online clips. now im salty with a vendetta, they can sell my data but they’ll never take my $.

HoodWinked

Seems like they're pushing another update for adblockers.

On desktop when loading a new video, sometimes you'll get a black screen with a spinning loading indicator. Usually refreshing the the tab will make the video load but does appear YT is being more aggressive with serving ads.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I use Sponsorblock and it works, but if there's an ad at the beginning, sometimes it takes 5+ seconds of being blacked out blocking the ad before the vid works.

I decided to test random YT vids now and a miracle happened. All vids work asap with no black out screen anymore?!?!?! lol

If the ads were strategically placed and no more than 5 seconds, it wouldn't be so bad but trying to watch youtube on PS5 (without knowing the adskip trick) is painful.

Start video, ads. watch 1 second of intro, skip ahead to avoid, then.. more ads. Ok, back to video, more boring commnetating... skip ahead to main point, more ads. It's crazy, you end up watching more ads than actual content. I get it's a service but I'm not watching ads, nobody likes ads and if anything, it makes me want to buy your product even less than before. I skip ads on my PS5 and you should too!

Last edited:

Rayderism

I had all kinds of YT issues (like the OP) with Firefox for a couple months, then a couple weeks ago an update came out for FF and YT has been playing nice and ad-free ever since.

Unknown?

lol Freetube solved the problem and released a new update about this in mere hours. I bet these google morons wasted millions to create this nuisance that will be solved in days by adblockers and programs like Freetube
LibreTube has stayed working for me on android. I'll have to update my desktop Freetube app.

Hudo

lol Freetube solved the problem and released a new update about this in mere hours. I bet these google morons wasted millions to create this nuisance that will be solved in days by adblockers and programs like Freetube
Thanks for making me aware of Freetube. I'll try it out.

Doczu

Odysee has decided to remove all their ads in response to youtube being more aggressive.
MUrMlSU.jpeg
That is very bold and brave of them. I'm not against all ads, a platform/site has to make some money and i know ads is an easy/working way for it.

I do hope they know what they are doing and that they won't sink in the long run

Bojji

Yup every time my smart TV gets a new "update", I just know it's a new way for those assholes to insert more ads in the menus. It's so bad on my LG TV now that I can barely browse that shit without horrible lag.

On LG (so far) you can turn off menu ads, options are hidden deep into menus but they are there (at least on B2).

Trogdor1123

Yup every time my smart TV gets a new "update", I just know it's a new way for those assholes to insert more ads in the menus. It's so bad on my LG TV now that I can barely browse that shit without horrible lag.
This is exactly why we went with an AppleTV. No adds on it at all (some in the channels like prime though).

RavageX

I feel like those that are ok with paying for this are part of why digital media and streaming services are getting out of hand. Companies can see they can get away with it, and push it further. . I originally did not have a problem with paying for things like Netflix, the idea was that I don't want to see commercials and ads....and I want to watch what I want when I want.

Now the paid services have ads too. WTF is that?

User-created content...which is most of what I watch on youtube WHEN I do watch it should not have a premium price that needs to be paid, OR a stupid amount of ads. I happily use ad blockers and will continue to do so. If they stop working, then oh well. I still won't pay, and I won't watch a bunch of ads. Youtube isn't that important to me.

The only streaming service I actively pay for is Peacock, and that is for WWE (Classic wrestling, not current). Once that is gone, so is Peacock and I use ad blocks on it too.

People REALLY should not be ok with this shit, but the majority just bend over and take it happily.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Odysee has decided to remove all their ads in response to youtube being more aggressive.
MUrMlSU.jpeg
This thing is built on LBRY, right? So instead of serving ads to earn revenue they're going to use your content as a vehicle to grind crypto. Interesting.

Mistake

This thing is built on LBRY, right? So instead of serving ads to earn revenue they're going to use your content as a vehicle to grind crypto. Interesting.
I'm pretty sure they lost the court case over LBRY and had to shut that down, but odyssey seems to be built the same way with the platform currency. I'm not too sure how their current system works, didn't look into it. I am a fan of the site though. Works pretty good and has a nice UI.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure they lost the court case over LBRY and had to shut that down, but odyssey seems to be built the same way with the platform currency. I'm not too sure how their current system works, didn't look into it. I am a fan of the site though. Works pretty good and has a nice UI.
LBRY the company got their rear end handed to them by the SEC but the underlying tech was pretty much always open source. Riding crypto and the blockchain is certainly a different way to try to finance the operation of a thing but I don't hold much hope that it's going to last without a more mainstream revenue source. But I could be wrong.

Braag

Tactics like these make me want to never sub for their premium service.
At this point I just hope this has cost them more money than subscribers.

NinjaBoiX

Neither is your data that they keep picking for free and selling for money.
Look, if people like to pay premium thats fine, its an experience that they feel cool and worth the money. But please, can we keep off this stupidity that Google is somewhat poor and need the money from ads to survive?
But, none of that matters though.

They’re a company trying to sell you entertainment, either pay for it or stop whinging.

They’re not shutting off your water supply…

winjer

Gold Member
But, none of that matters though.

They’re a company trying to sell you entertainment, either pay for it or stop whinging.

They’re not shutting off your water supply…

You do realize that Google makes Billions and Billions by selling our data.
We have already paid, a lot, with our privacy.
What Google is doing is called double dipping.

And let's remember that Google creates none of the content on youtube. They are not producing content for their own platform, like Netflix, Disney, HBO, etc.
Google is just leeching off unto creators that put all the time and effort.
And then Google just screws them with random rules and demonetization.

Top Bottom