• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtuber gets 15 month sentence for toothpaste prank

llien

Barcelona prankster Kanghua Ren, 21, known to his followers as ReSet, was sentenced on Friday to 15 months in prison for his crime against the "moral integrity" of the homeless man, according to El Pais newspaper. The court also reportedly ordered Ren's YouTube and other social media channels to be shut down for five years and said he must give the victim 20,000 euros ($22,305) in compensation....

Ren was 19 when he filmed the prank in early 2017 after being challenged by one of his 1.2 million followers, according to the Times. He also gave the homeless man a 20 euro bill. Ren called the video just a bad joke, but the judge noted that he earned more than 2,000 euros in ad revenue generated from the video, the Times said.

It's unlikely Ren will actually serve time behind bars
, The New York Times reports, because Spanish law usually suspends sentences under two years for first-time offenders.
slashdot

PS
Sorry, got lost in copyspasta: he replaced sweet filling in the cookies with toothpaste, before giving it to a homeless man:

Last edited:

MayauMiao

He filled an Oreo with toothpaste.

The guy's a cunt but if that's all he did he doesn't deserve jail time.

There are risks swallowing toothpaste so the guy absolutely deserved jail time.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice

Playing "devil's advocate" here, do you expect ReSet used a full tube's worth of toothpaste for a single Oreo cookie? That is arguably a non-threatening total.

MayauMiao

Playing "devil's advocate" here, do you expect ReSet used a full tube's worth of toothpaste for a single Oreo cookie?

Not on a single Oreo but maybe several of it. Who knows if the homeless man could have ask more than one toopaste laced Oreo because of hunger and money.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not on a single Oreo but maybe several of it. Who knows if the homeless man could have ask more than one toopaste laced Oreo because of hunger and money.

Do you know how many Oreos you'd have to eat to ingest a dangerous amount of toothpaste?

There's a sentence I didn't see myself typing at any point in my life

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Don't know never will try. I'm just glad the cunt got sentenced.

For a toothpaste prank? Clown World thread is that way.

I did the maths for you since you couldn't be bothered. According to this 2013 experiment a standard Oreo cookie contains 3.61g of creme. This standard toothpaste tube in Spain contains around 177g of paste. That's 49 Oreos.

Last edited:
I guess the sentence was not just about the crime, but also as a deterrent. It was just toothpaste, but too many morons who will ape anyone for views and attention could easily step it up a notch to something more dangerous.

The fact he did it to a homeless man probably also ires up more contempt and need for justice. Homeless people are some of the most vulnerable groups of people.

I would give that guy 10-15 years of community service instead.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
People are shooting up schools and shit I t he world and this guy gets how long and how much, just for THAT?

I believe firmly that crimes should be listed and have values associated with them, and that every judge would then have zero right inter punishment, only in if he was guilty or not. Might stop all the bullshit like black dude farts on a train and gets life while white man murders his family and gets a slapped wrist (extremes... or is it?).

Maybe if you know for a fact crime X will have punishment Y regardless of race, gender or age, it might sort things a bit differently.

Mohonky

He filled an Oreo with toothpaste.

The guy's a cunt but if that's all he did he doesn't deserve jail time.
on one hand, it's not really life threatening or anything. on the other hand, he knowingly do that to a homeless guy in order to get views on Youtube. I'm leaning towards that it's a fair punishment.

Yeh im not about to degend the guy, he exploited the needs of a homeless guy for financial benefit.

Had he done it to a mate I woulnt care, but doing that to a homeless guy for views awfully sadistic

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

yes toothpaste is not meant for consumption. it will make you sick.

the guy is unlikely to serve any time, so hard to feel bad about this.

also, the guy humiliated a homeless person for profit, so fuck him. thank god he is just an idiot playing with toothpaste who has no real power.

so sick of these self styled Ramsay Boltons thinking they are "playing a prank" or "doing a social experiment". no you're just an asshole with no real job who makes other people's lives hell.

Last edited:
For a toothpaste prank? Clown World thread is that way.

I did the maths for you since you couldn't be bothered. According to this 2013 experiment a standard Oreo cookie contains 3.61g of creme. This standard toothpaste tube in Spain contains around 177g of paste. That's 49 Oreos.
Ok, this got me Googling... warning, I don't know how to convert milliliters of toothpaste to grams, so there's going to be some approximation here...

This guy measured a healthy stripe of toothpaste (like the toothpaste manufacturers always picture in their marketing) to be ~ 1.5 ml. I would guess it would take about 3-4 of those to fill an Oreo, but let's take a worst case scenario and assume the prankster used 10 stripes (because comedy is always funnier when you go big.) That would be 15 ml of toothpaste for our comically overstuffed Oreo. That works out to be 22.5 mg of fluoride.

If we use that guy's ml toothpaste to mg fluoride figure and approximate 1 ml of toothpaste weighs 1 g, then 3.61 g of toothpaste for a standard Oreo would have ~5.5 mg of flouride

According to this study, a toxic dose (meaning side effects are likely) of fluoride for adults is 5 mg F/kg body weight, and a lethal dose is 32 mg F/kg body weight.

So, as long as the homeless guy weighed more than ~5 kg, he wasn't at much risk for eating even a comically overstuffed toothpaste Oreo. The prankster is still an asshole though.

Last edited:

AV

Ok, this got me Googling...

Thanks for the deep dive, I couldn't be bothered doing more than a simply gram comparison.

These are the hard questions, and they demand hard answers.

Hissing Sid

Can’t stand Pranksters. Can’t even stand the word prank. Prank? Fuck of with that thin veneer of legitimacy shit. Call it what it is, bullying with a punchline.

On the other hand jail for this is stupid and not in proportion to the offence.

I’d much rather the universe handed out justice to this little wanker in the form of one of his victims breaking his nose. Because after all, it’s just a little joke innit?

Last edited:
Do you know how many Oreos you'd have to eat to ingest a dangerous amount of toothpaste?
Is “dangerous amount” a lethal dose, or enough to make you vomit, or just enough to make you feel a bit queasy? Regardless of the level of danger, tricking someone into eating toothpaste, much less someone who might not know where their next meal is coming from, feels needlessly cruel to me.

AV

Is “dangerous amount” a lethal dose, or enough to make you vomit, or just enough to make you feel a bit queasy? Regardless of the level of danger, tricking someone into eating toothpaste, much less someone who might not know where their next meal is coming from, feels needlessly cruel to me.

Enough to be considered dangerous. I wouldn't call "feeling a bit queasy" dangerous.

It was a douche move, and not very funny, I just think 15 months in jail is fucking ridiculous for pranking someone into eating some toothpaste. People are super reactionary to this stuff and it's retarded, like when you see people commenting on videos of people kicking dogs with "HANG THE BASTARDS NO PUNISHMENT IS ENOUGH".

It was a douche move, and not very funny, I just think 15 months in jail is fucking ridiculous for pranking someone into eating some toothpaste.
I don’t think it is just the prank though. I think the fact that this guy is homeless, that the prank was recorded and shown. to others, and that it was significantly profited from elevates this from “just a prank” into exploitation. I don’t think we, as a society, can allow (much less reward) this sort of behavior. 15 months seems extreme, but it also says he will almost certainly see him sentence commuted - this is more of a warning that won’t be a next time.

AV

I don’t think it is just the prank though. I think the fact that this guy is homeless, that the prank was recorded and shown. to others, and that it was significantly profited from elevates this from “just a prank” into exploitation. I don’t think we, as a society, can allow (much less reward) this sort of behavior. 15 months seems extreme, but it also says he will almost certainly see him sentence commuted - this is more of a warning that won’t be a next time.

Ehh, maybe, but when you get into the weeds of what you consider "exploitation", things get messy. Our city had this thing once where a bunch of homeless people stole crutches from a hospital, so suddenly overnight there were dozens of "disabled" homeless people. Where does the law land here? They still stole property, do they get off lighter because they're at a genuine disadvantage? Do they get harsher treatment for exploiting genuinely disabled homeless people?

I get where you're coming from, and I'm certainly not saying the guy isn't anything more than a walking piece of shit, I just think punishments should fit crimes. 15 months in a prison is ridiculous. Now, a few months of community service actually helping the homeless out, working at shelters, handing out food, etc? That could do the man some good.

Whitecrow

Banned
Well, maybe jail is too much, but I wont complain.
This youtube challenge thing is getting out of control, this should serve as a warning for all the morons with youtube channels to think things twice.

Fbh

Dude seems like your average Youtuber idiot but the sentence does seem rather extreme.
Should have been sentenced to several months doing community service IMO

cryptoadam

Banned
sentance seems high but lets be honest he won't serve the whole thing.

But I think he deserves it for being an exploitative dick. Making money of the misery of a homeless person. Remember DaddyOfive? Sure he was being abusive to his own kids as a prank, but I could see that guy giving his son Oreo's stuffed with toothpaste and people would consider that borderline abuse.

Rather send a message that profiting off this shit is wrong and hopefully fewer stupid people will go out there and abuse the less fortunate for their 15 minutes of fame. If he wanted to make a video of someone eating a toothpaste oreo be like Jackass and do it yourself not trick some homeless dude.

pramod

Banned
Eating too many Oreos will kill you. The toothpaste was probably more healthy than all the sugar in that filling.

So an innocent prank gets you jail time? Was there any danger involved that threatened the homeless dude? Unless eating toothpaste is bad for you then... I guess conspiracy theorist are onto something when they say Florida is bad for you.

AaronB

Locking him up probably cost the taxpayers $40,000 or more. It also removed his livelihood and a lot of money from the economy. Having him to pay the whole 2,000 he earned off the video to the homeless person would be a much more rational sentence.

Mista

Banned
A prank on a homeless man means he’s a fucking prick. But 15 months jail? That’s too much. Get jailed for a prank but not killing innocent people. What a world, what a fucking world ladies and gentlemen

demigod

Locking him up probably cost the taxpayers $40,000 or more. It also removed his livelihood and a lot of money from the economy. Having him to pay the whole 2,000 he earned off the video to the homeless person would be a much more rational sentence.

Did you read the OP? He has to pay the victim 20,000 euros ($22,305).

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Barcelona prankster Kanghua Ren, 21, known to his followers as ReSet

That's one "ReSet era" over then.......hopefully the other one quickly follows suit.

AaronB

Did you read the OP? He has to pay the victim 20,000 euros ($22,305).
I said what I thought would be a reasonable restitution; not what they actually did. 2,000 euros is how much he earned off that video, and I think that would be a nice amount for a prank people would play on their friends.

juliotendo

Barcelona prankster Kanghua Ren, 21, known to his followers as ReSet, was sentenced on Friday to 15 months in prison for his crime against the "moral integrity" of the homeless man, according to El Pais newspaper. The court also reportedly ordered Ren's YouTube and other social media channels to be shut down for five years and said he must give the victim 20,000 euros ($22,305) in compensation....

Ren was 19 when he filmed the prank in early 2017 after being challenged by one of his 1.2 million followers, according to the Times. He also gave the homeless man a 20 euro bill. Ren called the video just a bad joke, but the judge noted that he earned more than 2,000 euros in ad revenue generated from the video, the Times said.

It's unlikely Ren will actually serve time behind bars
, The New York Times reports, because Spanish law usually suspends sentences under two years for first-time offenders.
slashdot

PS
Sorry, got lost in copyspasta: he replaced sweet filling in the cookies with toothpaste, before giving it to a homeless man:

What a little asshole. Making money off a homeless man through YouTube clicks by feeding him essentially tainted food and laughing at his misery.

I don’t think the prank really warrants jail time. Sure, he’s an asshole for what he did, but I would think community service and a hefty fine (which he is getting) would be more than sufficient. Still pretty shitty of him, though.

Top Bottom