• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtuber gets 15 month sentence for toothpaste prank

Pathetic and immature behaviour doesn't necessarily warrant a 15 month prison sentence.

As has been said several times in this thread, it will be unlikely that he serves the time. So taking that off the table, the rest of the question becomes 22,000 and the loss of his you tube channel for five years. Is that a punishment that fits the crime? If not, what would be?

When I first read about the situation, I was also under the false impression that the the prank was to get the guy to taste the toothpaste and spit out the Oreo, which was filmed. The actual situation was the guy ate several of the Oreos (which were probably something he hadn't been able to eat in a long time) and then became violently ill, to the point where he vomited. The guy probably thought, or may have been told they were mint flavored. Hearing more of the details changed the initial reaction I had to this story, as is often the case.

Papa

Banned
As has been said several times in this thread, it will be unlikely that he serves the time. So taking that off the table, the rest of the question becomes 22,000 and the loss of his you tube channel for five years. Is that a punishment that fits the crime? If not, what would be?

When I first read about the situation, I was also under the false impression that the the prank was to get the guy to taste the toothpaste and spit out the Oreo, which was filmed. The actual situation was the guy ate several of the Oreos (which were probably something he hadn't been able to eat in a long time) and then became violently ill, to the point where he vomited. The guy probably thought, or may have been told they were mint flavored. Hearing more of the details changed the initial reaction I had to this story, as is often the case.

I still find that punishment extreme. A normal person would've tasted the toothpaste, realised it was toothpaste, and stopped eating. Yes, the guy was a dick for pranking a likely low-IQ, mentally ill homeless person, but $22,000, the loss of his youtube channel (which is likely a primary income source), and a 15 month prison sentence, suspended or not, is a punishment that does not fit the crime imo.

I still find that punishment extreme. A normal person would've tasted the toothpaste, realised it was toothpaste, and stopped eating. Yes, the guy was a dick for pranking a likely low-IQ, mentally ill homeless person, but $22,000, the loss of his youtube channel (which is likely a primary income source), and a 15 month prison sentence, suspended or not, is a punishment that does not fit the crime imo.

One thing that I'm not arguing is that I fully believe the punishment fits the crime. Assuming you were the kid's lawyer, and you wanted to make a deal, what would you have suggested? This assuming that you can't suggest a slap on the wrist, but you also want to somewhat protect your client.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
One thing that I'm not arguing is that I fully believe the punishment fits the crime. Assuming you were the kid's lawyer, and you wanted to make a deal, what would you have suggested? This assuming that you can't suggest a slap on the wrist, but you also want to somewhat protect your client.

Why would a slap on the wrist not be appropriate in this instance?

This is less harmful than milkshaking somebody. At least there you potentially ruin their clothes. You can eat an entire tube of toothpaste.

Petrae

Forget the free ride in jail. Between the monetary penalty and losing his social media accounts, perhaps the sweetest justice would be to have Prankster Jackwagon become homeless and see how he likes it.

Dontero

Banned
Ok joke worked on me, laughed out loud for 2 minutes...

So he pays dude 20€ to eat Oreo cookie with toothpaste spread.
Best 20€ earned probably by him since last time he worked.

MMaRsu

I don’t think the prank really warrants jail time. Sure, he’s an asshole for what he did, but I would think community service and a hefty fine (which he is getting) would be more than sufficient. Still pretty shitty of him, though.

sentence under 2 yr means no time served in jail

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don’t see community service alone being good enough. He was promoting in public the idea that abusing the homeless is funny and profitable. Spending a few hours giving soup to a few dozen people would barely scratch the surface. He has done a lot to make the world a shittier place.

Throw the book at this fuckface IMO. He thinks it’s hilarious to use his systemic advantage to manipulate the most vulnerable, I’m not gonna cry when he gets caught loudly proclaiming his own guilt.

He may get off now but hopefully he eventually spends time in jail and the guards decide to prank his food, see how funny he thinks it is then.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kanghua Ren is a Spanish name?
I don’t see community service alone being good enough. He was promoting in public the idea that abusing the homeless is funny and profitable.
Plenty of Youtubers do this already.
IckyWhisperedJackal-size_restricted.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
These are the people that youtube should be deplatforming. What a sick fucking way to make an income. Fuck this world!!
This is old as hell. He makes like more than 1 million a year just doing videos.

I don't think jail time is extreme. 15 months might have been a little much, but overall I don't have an issue. I think that shit is really fucked up, personally.

I am not sure if the "eating toothpaste is healthier than Oreos" posts are serious or not.

Last edited:
Why would a slap on the wrist not be appropriate in this instance?

If you give someone something to eat or drink that contains ingredients not intended to be consumed, the term for that is poisoning. Now, I'll admit that I don't think this you tuber set out to poison a homeless man. I think the intent was for the man to taste the toothpaste and spit it out. But after seeing the man actually eating the toothpaste cookies, the you tuber became responsible for the continued consumption of the cookies.

He could have warned the homeless man at any time, apologized, offered him a fresh package of cookies that wasn't opened, given him some real food, etc. He did none of these things, and allowed a homeless man to unknowingly consume a large amount of toothpaste.

I also just looked at a tube of toothpaste, and the following warning is clearly printed on it: "If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away."

This would seem to fit the literal, legal definition of poisoning someone. So yeah, I don't think a slap on the wrist would be a realistic expectation.

So again, assuming you were the kid's lawyer, and you wanted to make a deal, what would you have suggested?

Top Bottom